Vindaloo

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

We had an indian home delivery tonight - various side dishes etc but my main was Lamb vindaloo.

Now MY idea of a vindaloo is a gradual build up of heat with each mouthful - NOT a fekking nuclear assault on the palate - which unfortunately tonights dish was. Still scoffed it though :lol:

The g/f thinks I'm a feckwit for even trying to eat it.

So, should a "hot" curry be one to savour or a tactical strike on the taste buds?

We had an indian home delivery tonight - various side dishes etc but my main was Lamb vindaloo.

Now MY idea of a vindaloo is a gradual build up of heat with each mouthful - NOT a fekking nuclear assault on the palate - which unfortunately tonights dish was. Still scoffed it though :lol:

So, should a "hot" curry be one to savour or a tactical strike on the taste buds?

A proper curry should be flavoursome with a gradual heat but not overpowering.

Konrad von Carstein

I agree, tonight took me back to when I was a teenager where you were a wuss if you couldn't take the heat.

Was funny in a masochistic kind of way,,,,

I worked with an Indian who had a different idea. He thought our curries were weak and made his own to get the heat he wanted!

I'm with you on the flavour over heat argument, though. I can't eat curries that have too much heat.

I worked with an Indian who had a different idea. He thought our curries were weak and made his own to get the heat he wanted!

I'm with you on the flavour over heat argument, though. I can't eat curries that have too much heat.

Was he from the southern part of India?

They typically have hotter curries to encourage them to drink water to keep themselves hydrated.

southside1874

You'll not be looking forward to the morning.whistling.gif

I reckon a vindaloo should be a challenge. :thumbsup:

Hope you've got the bog roll in the fridge.

Get a Bangalore Phal next time. You'll love a Vindaloo after one of those.

Get a Bangalore Phal next time. You'll love a Vindaloo after one of those.

I have heard that this true.

Haven't tried one myself (yet) but intend to indulge at some point soon. Expecting the nuclear meltdown in my nether regions when it happens.

In all seriousness, if you find your curry too hot, just mix a tablespoon or two of yogurt with it.

In all seriousness, if you find your curry too hot, just mix a tablespoon or two of yogurt with it.

Thanks for that. I just ruined my madras with a black cherry Ski.

Was he from the southern part of India?

They typically have hotter curries to encourage them to drink water to keep themselves hydrated.

I think he was more or less (can't remember the name of the place he lived), but still in the vegetarian area rather than the fish-eating places like Goa.

As I said I prefer food I can taste, and the hotter curries just aren't for me.

You get the curry your intelligence deserves :lol::thumbsup:

I P Knightley

I was put off vindaloos by a waiter in a decent enough restaurant saying, as he served up 3 vindaloos and 2 madrases to my table, "I don't know how you can eat that muck."

Realised that going hot for the sake of it was just silly boys' posturing and that it's better to pay your money for something with flavour. Meals can be hot but no need for them to be nuclear.

southside1874

next time try some kola kubes and chocolate limes crunched up and sprinkled over the topthumbsup.gif

southside1874

I was put off vindaloos by a waiter in a decent enough restaurant saying, as he served up 3 vindaloos and 2 madrases to my table, "I don't know how you can eat that muck."

Realised that going hot for the sake of it was just silly boys' posturing and that it's better to pay your money for something with flavour. Meals can be hot but no need for them to be nuclear.

And you replied by saying "I don't know how you can serve that muck?"

If its layered properly with dry chilli, chilli powder and fresh chilli.....it can be superb

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Your a right greedy *******.

I P Knightley

And you replied by saying "I don't know how you can serve that muck?"

If its layered properly with dry chilli, chilli powder and fresh chilli.....it can be superb

I'd love to find somewhere that did so reliably but I've found plenty of substitutes that taste lovely while still having a kick.

Your a right greedy *******.

:biglaugh:

You should see the delivery guy struggling to climb the hill to my house on his moped with my evening meal in his topbox.

Nucky Thompson

I prefer the taste rather than heat. My fav is North Indian garlic chicken from Saiyems in Gorgie, the flavour is outstanding :thumbsup:

There's an indian that opened in stornoway last year and it had this Bangladeshi recipe called " chilli ghost special" .

It has the heat of a vindaloo but the sweetness of mangos , quite easily the tastiest curry I've ever had.

Tastier than anything I had in Edinburgh

Creepy Lurker

As I said I prefer food I can taste, and the hotter curries just aren't for me.

Agree wholeheartedly with each of these. Nothing worse than a 'who can eat the hottest curry' cringefest. Food is meant to be enjoyed, not used to gain bragging rights in some masochistic rite of passage.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with people enjoying hotter curries than I do; it goes without saying that we all have different tastes. Eating food you don't enjoy in an attempt to gain man points, though? Grow up.

:lol:

YAS!

Curries don't need to be outrageously hot, but I do like mine spicy. Don't see a Madras or Ceylon as macho posturing efforts - they shouldn't be any more than fairly hot.

One thing I heard on a food documentary is that people who enjoy/can stand hot food have shite tastebuds. If you've got highly developed tastebuds things like Madras taste disgusting and are completely unpalatable. Mine must be fecked because I love it all :lol:

Konrad von Carstein

The vindaloo I had last night was no more a vindaloo than *fly in the air* (*a saying my old dear used to use*).

It was quite simply a chilli overload - I've has a couple from that take away before but they were nothing like last nights firebomb.

I like hot spicy curries but have grown out of the "as hot as you can make it" phase years ago.

Usually get a NIGC or jalfreizi or madras - will be a wee while before I try a vindaloo from there* again.

*There being the St Johns Curry Club.

I don't bother chancing a vindaloo anymore. The last one i bought from adams tandoori in balerno took me about an hour to eat. Lethal. Jalfrezi's usually have a decent enough kick to them without destroying your tastebuds. Usually.

Vindaloo is my favourite type of curry but it's always a risk ordering it. Even some of the classier establishments can be lazy with their recipe and just think vindaloo equates "as hot as you can make it." For that reason I tend to return to the same takeaways or restaurants time and again, which is at odds with my typical behavior when I eat out as I like to continually try new places.

Curries should be challenging.

Prawn Phall's are the shizzle :) I recommend a place called Noor in the Southside :)

The Old Tolbooth

*There being the St Johns Curry Club.

The green lamb curry that they do in there is outstanding, not a hot dish but the flavour is simply out of this world mate, I can thoroughly recommend it :thumbsup: (you do shite green the next day though) :ninja:

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Had a vindaloo last night from kebab mahal at nicholson square. Oh ya tommy tucker, the boy must've fell out with the wife and took it out on me.

Not been off the pan all day, had more runs than a cricketer!

fabienleclerq

Im happy to be corrected but regardless if it's a korma or a vindaloo it should be as hot you like it.

I.e a vindaloo is made a certain way and if you dont like it spicey as feck you dont put as much chilli etc in, I think its just a British thing that

as standard a vindaloo comes hot.

The Vindaloo in the SW is more a medium/hot dish unlike a Scottish version. But if you want a hot dish go for a phal :thumbsup:

A Vindaloo doesn't even register a blip on the spice radar for Mr Stark

Bunch of poofs IMO

:verysmug:

More of a Naga man are we Rob ? :unsure:

More of a Naga man are we Rob ? :unsure:

Used to grow Dorset naga's and they aren't that bad!

Interesting to hear that Noor does Phall's, anyone know of somewhere nearer Leith that does a Phall?

I love an Indian. But never had a vindaloo. Just don't want to risk it incase it's too hot and I ruin my dinner.

Is that place on the Southside not the hottest curry in Britain. Kismot. They do the kismot killer. If you eat it you don't pay

Archived