Remembrance Sunday 2011

weemarky

Does anyone know who is responsible for the organisation of the memorial service on Remembrance Sunday? I assume it will be at Tynecastle again due to the fares that is the Edinburgh Tram fiasco. I have never attended because I always work on RS but this year I am on leave. Would really love to get back up the road and help out in any way I can, as well as obviously attend.

Thanks in advance

Mark

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard from someone who works in L & B that it will be Haymarket..... Cant see it tho judging by the state of the place..

portobellojambo1

Does anyone know who is responsible for the organisation of the memorial service on Remembrance Sunday? I assume it will be at Tynecastle again due to the fares that is the Edinburgh Tram fiasco. I have never attended because I always work on RS but this year I am on leave. Would really love to get back up the road and help out in any way I can, as well as obviously attend.

Thanks in advance

Mark

The service is going back to Haymarket this year, Sunday 13 November, 10:45 am start.

I am a bit surprised it is moving back, for the same reason you describe above, but unless there is any last minute change of mind Haymarket it will be.

She said its 10.00-11.30 am... Haymarket is worse than ever... Clock going back ? No dont so...Standing at a junction thats dug up dosnt have the same affect...

I am one of a good few who feels that the last few years services at Tynecastle have been great. Far more people go and and are far better accomodated. How can we encourage people to go to Hyamarket where they cant hear what is being said and are not overly safe standing on a traffic island.

I prefer being able to sit in a stand, hear all that is being said and feel more part of the whole process, rather than the elite who are in the front at Haymarket. Can we not have the service at Tynecastle after all that is the home of Hearts, and then have a select few who can lay wreaths at Haymarket.

I understand the importance of the memorial, however it no longer is fit for hosting the ceremony. As we draw close to the centenary of the First World War should we not be encouraging people to join in and celebrate the memory of the footballers who fell. This cannot be done with around 300 people at Haymarket when The Gorgie Stand has played host to nearly 1000 people the last few year in the rain.

We are in a unique position where we have a spiritual home as well as a monument. Common sense would dictate that we utilise the one that can play host to the most people. In doing so, more families will attend rather than just the hardier men, and this will be done in comfort and in a hauntingly quiet football stadium.

I will pay my own respects to those brave men, but will not be attending Haymarket this year.

I am one of a good few who feels that the last few years services at Tynecastle have been great. Far more people go and and are far better accomodated. How can we encourage people to go to Hyamarket where they cant hear what is being said and are not overly safe standing on a traffic island.

I prefer being able to sit in a stand, hear all that is being said and feel more part of the whole process, rather than the elite who are in the front at Haymarket. Can we not have the service at Tynecastle after all that is the home of Hearts, and then have a select few who can lay wreaths at Haymarket.

I understand the importance of the memorial, however it no longer is fit for hosting the ceremony. As we draw close to the centenary of the First World War should we not be encouraging people to join in and celebrate the memory of the footballers who fell. This cannot be done with around 300 people at Haymarket when The Gorgie Stand has played host to nearly 1000 people the last few year in the rain.

We are in a unique position where we have a spiritual home as well as a monument. Common sense would dictate that we utilise the one that can play host to the most people. In doing so, more families will attend rather than just the hardier men, and this will be done in comfort and in a hauntingly quiet football stadium.

I will pay my own respects to those brave men, but will not be attending Haymarket this year.

The memorial at Haymarket will always be special but I must admit I prefer Tynie.

The Clock at Haymarket is a war memorial, paid for by the people of Edinburgh, to commemorate those of HMFC (supporters, officials, and players) who paid the ultimate price. The War Memorial was sited at Hamarket (rather than Tynecastle) as it is for all the people of Edinburgh to see and remember.

While I appreciate what's being said about keeping the service at Tynecastle, I cannot agree with that suggestion.

The Remembrance Day service should be held at the War Memorial.

If a better PA system is required, then let's get that sorted. If the Police need to allow a bigger area, then let's get it sorted. That some say they will not attend at Haymarket instead of Tynecastle, perhaps says more about them, and their reasons for attending, than they would wish to.

Standing in the cold and/or wet for less than an hour, once a year, to remember those who fell, is surely not too much of a sacrifice, when you compare it to the sacrifice they made, is it?

Lest We Forget

There isnt a war memorial to pay your respects at and wont be for many a year by the look of things..A few older people I know started going back as it was in Tynecastle and could sit.. Wont be going back this year which is a pity..

Hagar the Horrible

The Clock at Haymarket is a war memorial, paid for by the people of Edinburgh, to commemorate those of HMFC (supporters, officials, and players) who paid the ultimate price. The War Memorial was sited at Hamarket (rather than Tynecastle) as it is for all the people of Edinburgh to see and remember.

While I appreciate what's being said about keeping the service at Tynecastle, I cannot agree with that suggestion.

If a better PA system is required, then let's get that sorted. If the Police need to allow a bigger area, then let's get it sorted. That some say they will not attend at Haymarket instead of Tynecastle, perhaps says more about them, and their reasons for attending, than they would wish to.

Standing in the cold and/or wet for less than an hour, once a year, to remember those who fell, is surely not too much of a sacrifice, when you compare it to the sacrifice they made, is it?

Lest We Forget

Well said Gasman

Hagar the Horrible

There isnt a war memorial to pay your respects at and wont be for many a year by the look of things..A few older people I know started going back as it was in Tynecastle and could sit.. Wont be going back this year which is a pity..

It was always well attended at Haymarket and thats where it belongs, we should be putting more pressure on the council to put it back ASAP and stop pissing on our dead. Harmarket is the only palce for the Haymarket WAR Memorial the clue is in the name, hope you make it back soon. I cant make every year due to work as well, but will be this year.

Haymarket is where the memorial belongs and that is where the service should be. Tynecastle is more 'comfortable', but almost all remembrance sevices are outside and at the site of a memorial. They havn't moved the Cenotaph service to somewhere more comfortable..yet. :unsure:

I hear what you're saying pal, and I do have sympathy with those who may struggle to attend due to age and/or infirmity. If the Memorial is still in storage, then I have no problem with the service being held at Tynecastle, as it has been recently, but still on the understanding that this is a temporary arrangement.

As soon as is practicable the War Memorial should be returned to a prominent location at the Haymarket junction, where it has been since it's inauguration.

The Remembrance service should then revert to being held at the War Memorial.

All just my opinion, of course.

Haymarket is where the memorial belongs and that is where the service should be. Tynecastle is more 'comfortable', but almost all remembrance sevices are outside and at the site of a memorial. They havn't moved the Cenotaph service to somewhere more comfortable..yet. :unsure:

:thumbsup:

Cenotaph is still there...Way its going clock will be in 'storage' for many a year to come..

Will the council and the police stop the traffic and make sure the service will be given the respect it deserves.

rest in peace boys

Haymarket is currently a building site, a lot of work to be done in the next couple of weeks for it be in a state to hold such an occasion.

Lest We Forget

I hear what you are saying and understand the reasoning. However just because the memorial WAS sited there does not mean it should remain there. A lot has changed in the near 100 years since it was put in place, not least the volume of traffic. Why not put it somewhere else this side of Edinburgh with better accessibility? It is a poignant service but not an enjoyable due to safety and lack of a propoer PA system.

Until this is resolved why move the service from a perfectly good temporary home that allows everyone to see, hear and appreciate what is going on?

given that the "people" who run/ruin this city care not a jot about the desecration of a war memorial my prefered choice is for the service to be at Tynecastle then have a march/parade along to the home of the clock which is there for ALL connected to McCraes battalion

I whole heartedly agree with the posrt that says taking 1 hour out to remember these heroes- a word that is proper for the fallen- isnt much to ask but there are older folk out there that might find it easier to pay their respects in the more comfortable surroundings of Tynecastle and then allow the rest to head to Haymarket

I also hope the usual wreath from the hibs football club is laid

given that the "people" who run/ruin this city care not a jot about the desecration of a war memorial my prefered choice is for the service to be at Tynecastle then have a march/parade along to the home of the clock which is there for ALL connected to McCraes battalion

I whole heartedly agree with the posrt that says taking 1 hour out to remember these heroes- a word that is proper for the fallen- isnt much to ask but there are older folk out there that might find it easier to pay their respects in the more comfortable surroundings of Tynecastle and then allow the rest to head to Haymarket

I agree with this. Can you imagine 1000 people marching respectfully along Dalry to have a 2 minute silence at the memorial. It would be fantastic to see and a great way to pay your respects.

The clock is for Hearts players lost not for all of McCrae's battalion.

I?d have to say that I?m really quite shocked at a preference to being able to sit in a stand for the service which should obviously be held at Haymarket ... it seems like we are to forget our history and tradition in favour of ... comfort? I?m sure the men who went to war, some who suffered the supreme sacrifice would have liked a bit more comfort ... and for a bit longer than an hour or so!!!

Unfortunately there appears to be a clear misunderstanding of the importance of the memorial being displayed here, Haymarket was fit for the ceremony when thousands upon thousands attended, how is it no longer fit for hosting the ceremony now?

I totally agree that as we draw close to the centenary of the First World War we should be encouraging people to join in and celebrate the memory of the footballers who fell. I also agree that this should not be done with around 300 people at Haymarket ... personally I believe it should be done with 20000 to 30000 people!!!

However let us not allow the resolve to one issue, create many more ... as TheGasman so eloquently put it ... If a better PA system is required, then let's get that sorted. If the Police need to allow a bigger area, then let's get that sorted too. And if seating is required then let?s also get that sorted too.However and to repeat ... standing in the cold and/or wet for less than a couple of hours or so, once a year, to remember those who fell, is surely not too much of a sacrifice, when you compare it to the sacrifice they made, is it?

The issue of difficulty hearing all that is being said has been raised many times and is hopefully being addressed although I can point out that PA systems do cost money, I?d also be greatly concerned given the nature of this service that there is a need for people to feel more part of the whole process, or that there actually is an elite who are in the front at Haymarket ... my experience is that for the smooth running of the ceremony the people who are actively participating i.e. readers, music players and wreath layers are situated in the best place for them to be able to carry out their functions and sometimes even that is not without issue as their path is blocked ... more organisational issues which can easily be remedied if there was a will to do it.

Lest We Forget

to honour these men

sergeants D Currie,T Allan

l/corp J Boyd

corp T Gracie

pvts E Ellis J Speddie H Wattie

and the many others who fought in both world wars a memorial was erected in 1922

now this is what is posted on the Hearts home page and where I perceived that it was for the players of not just our club but also of those from hibs,falkirk and raith rovers who joined McCraes (appologies to any other teams I`ve not mentioned)

however re-reading it it does appear ambiguous as it states it was raised in 1922 for both world wars which obviously cant be correct

I`m definetly not wanting an argument on this its way too important but I just feel catering for those who would find it difficult to attend at the shambles which is haymarket is important and still allows an opportunity for the more abled body - regardless of their team- to go to where the clock SHOULD BE (hopefully someone from ECC/TIE will read this)

Of course the service should always be at Haymarket - when the War Memorial is back, but to have it there now when all there is at Haymarket is roadworks is silly. The service should be held at Tynecastle until the Memorial is returned to its rightful place.

Point taken but what is even sillier is to allow the Council, the defunct outfit TIE and all these other paragons of virtue with different agendas who really can't be ersed with the Memorial or dealing with the problem of reinstating the Memorial to it's correct site ... to prevaricate, delay and just about do all they can to lengthen the whole process out, long enough for the club and fans to then get sick of it and allow them to site the Memorial somewhere else ... like Tynecastle!!!

as I`ve said they have desecrated a war memorial and really dont give a s***e about it :verymad:

portobellojambo1

I hear what you're saying pal, and I do have sympathy with those who may struggle to attend due to age and/or infirmity. If the Memorial is still in storage, then I have no problem with the service being held at Tynecastle, as it has been recently, but still on the understanding that this is a temporary arrangement.

As soon as is practicable the War Memorial should be returned to a prominent location at the Haymarket junction, where it has been since it's inauguration.

The Remembrance service should then revert to being held at the War Memorial.

All just my opinion, of course.

Agree totally with the above Gasman. Where I said above I was surprised it was moving back to Haymarket this year that was more to do with the chaotic state of Haymarket at the moment (combined with the fact the memorial will not back in place).

The unknown factor is when (or if) the work at Haymarket will be completed and the memorial restored to its rightful place, and I think that until such time it would have been better to continue with Tynecastle as a temporary venue for the service.

I also agree totally with your previous post. The service is about remembering those who gave their lives, and I don't think it is asking much for people to give up home comforts and stand for a period of around 60 minutes once a year at Haymarket.

portobellojambo1

to honour these men

sergeants D Currie,T Allan

l/corp J Boyd

corp T Gracie

pvts E Ellis J Speddie H Wattie

and the many others who fought in both world wars a memorial was erected in 1922

now this is what is posted on the Hearts home page and where I perceived that it was for the players of not just our club but also of those from hibs,falkirk and raith rovers who joined McCraes (appologies to any other teams I`ve not mentioned)

however re-reading it it does appear ambiguous as it states it was raised in 1922 for both world wars which obviously cant be correct

I`m definetly not wanting an argument on this its way too important but I just feel catering for those who would find it difficult to attend at the shambles which is haymarket is important and still allows an opportunity for the more abled body - regardless of their team- to go to where the clock SHOULD BE (hopefully someone from ECC/TIE will read this)

The original memorial was put in place in memory of the Hearts players, managerment and supporters who had made the ultimate sacrifice in World War I. The finance to build it came mostly from gate receipts from a War Memorial Fund match played between Hearts and Celtic on 22 May 1920. The memorial was unveiled on 9 April 1922. It also serves as a memorial to those connected with Hearts who were killed in action during World War II, and was always intended to be the Hearts memorial. Over time it came to cover those who had served in McCraes Battalion, and the plaques on the actual memorial reflect this, however it will always correctly be refereed to as the Hearts memorial (with no disrespect intended by that statement)..

As you said built for all not just Macraes, amazing the interest since someone has written a book , where were all these people for the years when it was only the diehards attended and the cost of it's upkeep was met by the Federation

Will hard hards and steel toe cap boots be the order of the day at Haymarket...Hope they sort out the speaker system. Can never hear or see...Tynecastle was ideal for both.. Wonder who's idea it was to move it to a building site..

As you said built for all not just Macraes, amazing the interest since someone has written a book , where were all these people for the years when it was only the diehards attended and the cost of it's upkeep was met by the Federation

You not pleased interest has grown?

serious question..or do you think it should be kept to the diehards?

Francis Albert

Lest We Forget

Well said.

A better PA system? Well, yes, that would be good..

But since the central point of the service is remembrance in silence it should hardly be the deciding factor.

Francis Albert

I agree that the place looks a bit undignified for a memorial service at the moment.

Hopeful that changes.

I suspect the Somme looked a bit more undignified.

The service will be held at Haymarket this year in Grovesner place to be exact. as has been mentioned by others before this is the place where the service should be despite the memorial still being in storage. The point of Haymarket, again as advised earlier , is that it is a prominent junction where all the citizens of Edinburgh can see it and reflect on the memories held there. We all appreciate it is not great that the memorial is not there at present nor that the state of the junction is not brilliant but Haymarket is where the service belongs. The unique and prominent memorial that is the Haymarket clock was even mentioned in broadcasts by Lard Haw Haw in the second world war.

Holding the service at Tynecastle was a goodwill gesture by the club and was only meant to have been for 1 year to help out TIE. Sadly it seems to have been in TIE's plans right from day one to quietly lose the memorial(hence the alacrity with which it was dismantled 3 years ago with no visible work at the junction) and for us , as a support, to become comfortable holding the service at Tynecastle following which it would be a small matter to move the memorial too. Now with the debacle that TIE has perputrated seeming to sway some supporters it is even more important that the service returns to its rightful place even if we do not have the memorial in place.

There is a binding council vote in place for the memorial to return to Haymarket and the "Friends of Hearts Great War Memorial" , amongst others, are commited to making that happen as soon as possible

As to the service itself :-

There will be a PA system with Speakers mounted at head height

There will be a banner to represent the memorial

As per the last 2 years the wreaths will be in place at the site of the Memorial to intimate to passers by that the Memorial should be in its rightful place.

K G Brown

Chairman, Friends of Hearts Great War Memorial

Will the council and the police stop the traffic and make sure the service will be given the respect it deserves.

rest in peace boys

if they dont then direct action is reqd to make them see sense !!

Geoff Kilpatrick

The service will be held at Haymarket this year in Grovesner place to be exact. as has been mentioned by others before this is the place where the service should be despite the memorial still being in storage. The point of Haymarket, again as advised earlier , is that it is a prominent junction where all the citizens of Edinburgh can see it and reflect on the memories held there. We all appreciate it is not great that the memorial is not there at present nor that the state of the junction is not brilliant but Haymarket is where the service belongs. The unique and prominent memorial that is the Haymarket clock was even mentioned in broadcasts by Lard Haw Haw in the second world war.

Holding the service at Tynecastle was a goodwill gesture by the club and was only meant to have been for 1 year to help out TIE. Sadly it seems to have been in TIE's plans right from day one to quietly lose the memorial(hence the alacrity with which it was dismantled 3 years ago with no visible work at the junction) and for us , as a support, to become comfortable holding the service at Tynecastle following which it would be a small matter to move the memorial too. Now with the debacle that TIE has perputrated seeming to sway some supporters it is even more important that the service returns to its rightful place even if we do not have the memorial in place.

There is a binding council vote in place for the memorial to return to Haymarket and the "Friends of Hearts Great War Memorial" , amongst others, are commited to making that happen as soon as possible

As to the service itself :-

There will be a PA system with Speakers mounted at head height

There will be a banner to represent the memorial

As per the last 2 years the wreaths will be in place at the site of the Memorial to intimate to passers by that the Memorial should be in its rightful place.

K G Brown

Chairman, Friends of Hearts Great War Memorial

Good stuff Keith and I know people like you will ensure that the clock returns.:thumbsup:

Craig Herbertson

Just a quick mention for the guy who provided the PA system for the last few years before the forced move to Tynecastle free of charge on his own time because there wasn't one there before and no one else offered.

It has to be at Haymarket, that is the location of our war memorial.

We need the clock back in place and a proper PA system, comfort should not even come into it.

It has to be at Haymarket, that is the location of our war memorial.

We need the clock back in place and a proper PA system, comfort should not even come into it.

My point was never really about the comfort factor, it was more to do with the service and all that it entails should be more accessible to those who would like to go and pay their respects. After all most of us are of an age where we still realise the atrocities of the World Wars and the sacrifices that were made for us as children and grand children. I would just like to see consideration given to the elderly and also the youngters who want to attend.

I think the committee that have campaigned for the return of the monument do a great and important role and I would not decry their efforts. If the will of the fans is that it should remain where it has always been, then so be it. However if there is a serious groundswell for a move elsewhere then surely all should be considered.

My point was never really about the comfort factor, it was more to do with the service and all that it entails should be more accessible to those who would like to go and pay their respects. After all most of us are of an age where we still realise the atrocities of the World Wars and the sacrifices that were made for us as children and grand children. I would just like to see consideration given to the elderly and also the youngters who want to attend.

I think the committee that have campaigned for the return of the monument do a great and important role and I would not decry their efforts. If the will of the fans is that it should remain where it has always been, then so be it. However if there is a serious groundswell for a move elsewhere then surely all should be considered.

In the news today , after a long gampaign by a veteran and for the first time ever Tower Bridge is to be rasied during the service at the Cenotaph in London.

The future of the service will be in the hands of the young and to that end there will again be represenatives from Tynecastle high School and West Calder high (Jimmy Boyd's old school) amongst others there.

Speaking on a personal level as one of the "old and infirm" no matter the consequences for my health I think it is really important to be at Haymarket. It is an act of rememberance not a sporting event.

I am trying my best to bite my tongue here but I really do not understand your point maybe you are trying to be Devil's advocate. When the Memorial was first erected it was on land given by the Council to HMFC in perpetuity. why would you want to move a prominent Edinburgh landmark? why stop there why not move the Castle to arthur's seat?

In the news today , after a long gampaign by a veteran and for the first time ever Tower Bridge is to be rasied during the service at the Cenotaph in London.

The future of the service will be in the hands of the young and to that end there will again be represenatives from Tynecastle high School and West Calder high (Jimmy Boyd's old school) amongst others there.

Speaking on a personal level as one of the "old and infirm" no matter the consequences for my health I think it is really important to be at Haymarket. It is an act of rememberance not a sporting event.

I am trying my best to bite my tongue here but I really do not understand your point maybe you are trying to be Devil's advocate. When the Memorial was first erected it was on land given by the Council to HMFC in perpetuity. why would you want to move a prominent Edinburgh landmark? why stop there why not move the Castle to arthur's seat?

Youre right I am trying to play devils adviocate to a degree. There are a number of memorials to the fallen througout the city all given by the people of Edinburgh or companies or by clubs. Princes Street Gardens has at least three. However they are not all attended on the 11th.

If the memorial service had always been held in Gorgie Church and then wreaths laid at the memorial would there have been as much gnashing of teeth. There are memorials at Anfield and Old Trafford for those who have died with associations with the club, but any service in their memory is held in a church local to the ground. So, ultimately I suppose I am saying the memorial at Haymarket is absolutely vital to the memory of the fallen and their association with Hearts or Edinburgh as a whole. However would a church service or one at the ground followed by a laying of wreaths by all clubs and groups not be more appropriate.

I have no intention of offending anyone on this, I am just asking the question.

Chaka Demus & pliers

What a shite post

So, are you happy to see the increases in attendance, or not?

What a shite post

to be fair the Federation,and a few others,did a great job keeping this alive before the book came out

its become quite trendy to knock them so only fair to praise when due

SectionDJambo

When the Memorial Clock was taken into storage, the service at Tynecastle was put in place as a temporary alternative to the Haymarket service. Remember the shameful attitude of the Edinburgh Council towards the Memorial to men who sacrificed their lives for their country, and those who live in it. They wanted to move it to Atholl Crescent, to hide it away.

Maybe if Hearts were to continue appearing content to have the service at Tynecastle, these same idiots would take that as a sign that they could prevent the Memorial being returned to it's proper home, when they eventually clear up the mess of their Tram folly.

Maybe Hearts are wanting the service to resume at Haymarket, to prevent such thought entering the heads of those people. We were told that the removal would only be for 2 years, but due to the whole incompetence of the project and it's leaders, that is being extended to goodness knows when.

Whilst the services at Tynecastle have been a success, we should not let the memories of these men down, by taking a comfy way out and giving Edinburgh Council what they wanted in the first place. It should never be too much bother to have a service at a War Memorial, no matter how busy the road is. Shut the road for the duration. It is one hour, once a year. They shut entire areas down for Marathons and Fun Runs all the time.

Until the Memorial is returned to it's rightful place, Hearts should always give notice of their intention to have the service at the site at Haymarket.

Francis Albert

When the Memorial Clock was taken into storage, the service at Tynecastle was put in place as a temporary alternative to the Haymarket service. Remember the shameful attitude of the Edinburgh Council towards the Memorial to men who sacrificed their lives for their country, and those who live in it. They wanted to move it to Atholl Crescent, to hide it away.

Maybe if Hearts were to continue appearing content to have the service at Tynecastle, these same idiots would take that as a sign that they could prevent the Memorial being returned to it's proper home, when they eventually clear up the mess of their Tram folly.

Maybe Hearts are wanting the service to resume at Haymarket, to prevent such thought entering the heads of those people. We were told that the removal would only be for 2 years, but due to the whole incompetence of the project and it's leaders, that is being extended to goodness knows when.

Whilst the services at Tynecastle have been a success, we should not let the memories of these men down, by taking a comfy way out and giving Edinburgh Council what they wanted in the first place. It should never be too much bother to have a service at a War Memorial, no matter how busy the road is. Shut the road for the duration. It is one hour, once a year. They shut entire areas down for Marathons and Fun Runs all the time.

Until the Memorial is returned to it's rightful place, Hearts should always give notice of their intention to have the service at the site at Haymarket.

I think that's a good point, especially when even some Hearts fans are arguing that Tynecastle may be a more appropriate place.

can someone tell me where exactly we will be standing at Haymarket this year as I dont think the area that is the HOME OF THE CLOCK/MEMORIAL is actually going to be able to accomodate us given the current road lay out ie the vehicles coming from dalry road actually go over the area we would usually be standing at . this might also reduce the chances further of the lbp force actually stopping vehicles for the full duration of the service

The service this year will be in Grovesner Street which will be shut for the duration of the service with the exception of Taxis picking up/ dropping people at the Hotel. All other traffic is being diverted via Palmerston place and after the servic the wreaths will be attached to Herris Fencing , as they were the last 2 years in the cordoned off area just outside the Haymarket bar. i.e as close as is practicable to the site was till TIE took it away.

as to the return of the memorial , when it happens and as I have cleary stated on a number of occasions, there is a binding council vote in place to site it at Haymarket.

see also club announcement today

Club announcement

I had avoided this thread, but was pointed in it's direction by a friend. I get that people like a seat, I get that people don't like rain, but that isn't what the day is about, is it?

That's not what you said to my face last year, buddy.

Anyway, if it isn't about comfort, what is it about? The service the last two years was very similar to those at Haymarket, and please don't tell me that Tynecastle is more accessible than a city centre junction. With the greatest of respect to "the will of the fans", the monument has a home. It has been evicted temporarily, but it will go home.

Either way, it is your right as an adult to make your mind up to attend or not attend. I respect that you have chosen not to attend this year, but would warn that the service will not be going back to Tynecastle/Hearts' stadium; ever.

As somebody who was party to the service being at Tynecastle, I wonder with retrospect if that decision (and Hearts' fantastic hospitality) was a good idea.

Archived