What is the TOP restaurant in Edinburgh?

Do The Dance

Where did I ask for your opinion :P :P :lol:

Na i know i read that back and thought i sounded like a knob.

I was going to take my bird to the kitchin for her birthday but i read the menu and it was mostly fish and nothing that was really to either of our fancies so thought best to avoid it. Are there any other mitchelin star restaurants in Edinburgh?

There were 5 michelin star restaurants in edinburgh (2011 guide) although now 4 if plumed horse is closed.. all have been mentioned in this thread.

montpeliers on the same thread as Martin Wishart. Havin' a laugh. Might as well complete the list by adding Dario's and Bratisanni's.

Radioactive Mince

I've never been but I'm absolutely dying to go, mostly because every report I've heard has more than matched your OP criteria....but The Kitchin would be top of my list. There are a good few places on that list, but this one is definitely my priority next time I have the right sort of reason to go to a place like that.

I usually take a look at the menu when I walk past there most weeks and it always sounds amazing.

thumbsup.gif

THIS.

Coming from a family of vegetarians I'll have to give a shout out to David Bann's on St Mary's street.

Finding tasty veggie food is very tricky but this place has lot's of interesting options. I went there for my Birthday one year and even the more carniverous amongst us thourghly enjoyed their meals.

It used to be Isa's chat 'n' chew on north junction street or maybe Bonita' cafe on pitt street. It might have changed these days.

Papillio in Bruntsfield (Italian Restuarant), Spirit of Thai on Grindlay Street and Tex Mex 2 on Thistle Street are restaurants that have never once disappointed me. Visited the Caprice in Musselburgh on numerous occasions and again the food there has been fantastic.

Indigo on Morrison Street does a mean curry.

The above would be my favoured restaurants to attend when dining out. Only in my experience though. I'm sure there are many other restaurants in the city that I haven't tried which are excellent. Many people I know highly recommend dusit which I haven't tried despite me living on the same street as it!

Patrick Bateman

Have tried to book the Kitchin and Wishart's a couple of times but never been able to get a suitable time. Dying to check it out though.

Having no luck with getting a reservation, Francis? Maybe you should give Paul Allen a call, I've heard he can get a table anywhere. Wishart is excellent, particularly their beetroot and horseradish macaroons. As usual, these threads tease out Kb's wheat from the chaff; I wouldn't be seen dead in half of the places suggested. I much prefer Lespace or Barcadia. I would have recommended Dorsia, but nobody eats there any more.

:verysmug:

Girl at my work is a bit of a foody and made a special trip to Edinburgh to go to The Kitchen. Had to book weeks in advance and that was for lunch. Anyway, she loved it - the man himself was in that day and came out to speak to her too.

If I was trying to eat and some ***** in whites started chatting to me I would tell him to ram it. I am paying to eat your food not for a chat. Get back to your hob you muppet.

As for the best restaurant in Edinburgh. Simple. Any chippy that serves single fish with a few free chips when you are on your way home mangled.

Having no luck with getting a reservation, Francis? Maybe you should give Paul Allen a call, I've heard he can get a table anywhere. Wishart is excellent, particularly their beetroot and horseradish macaroons. As usual, these threads tease out Kb's wheat from the chaff; I wouldn't be seen dead in half of the places suggested. I much prefer Lespace or Barcadia. I would have recommended Dorsia, but nobody eats there any more.

:verysmug:

:lol:

I might have known you'd be all over this one, Bateman. :verysmug: It's simply because I refuse to go at times that might make me look cheap. There have also been times at Espace and Crayons when I have feared that I don't have a decent table and been on the verge of tears - until I have realised that I do, and relief washes over me in an awesome wave. I couldn't take that at Wishart's. :sob:

There does seem to be a good few Texarcana sorts on this thread - at least the mud soup and chocolate arugula are outrageous there. Vittoria can't even do a good Milanese veal. <_<

It's not the best restauarant in the city, but Fishers' seafood is up there among the best. Would recommend that to anyone who likes their seafood.

There were 5 michelin star restaurants in edinburgh (2011 guide) although now 4 if plumed horse is closed.. all have been mentioned in this thread.

The Plumed Horse lost it's michelin star which may be the reason it's closed down.

One other restaurant I'd throw into the mix which I'd recommend is Wedgwoods.

The Plumed Horse lost it's michelin star which may be the reason it's closed down.

You are quite correct. Plumed Horse and 21212 have lost theirs. Castle Terrace has gained 1.

4 in Edinburgh:-

Kitchin

Martin Wishart

Castle Terrace

Number One

I take it the Atrium's gone downhill - always used to be the best in the town.

Quite partial to a chicken kebab from Topkapi myself...

Oloroso is worth a visit.

http://www.oloroso.co.uk/index.html

Oloroso was going in the right direction at the start but when I last visited around 6 months ago it was very poor.

Food and especially service is nowhere near where it needs to be for the Michelin star they are trying for.

Sterling Archer

Would second Wedgewood, went there for my birthday last year and had some great food, the beetroot sorbet was something else.

Excellent place! Wedgwoods is starting to get the recognition it fully deserves!

I take it the Atrium's gone downhill - always used to be the best in the town.

Quite partial to a chicken kebab from Topkapi myself...

Atrium shut down a while ago, another one that was initally was very good but let their standards slip.

Would second Wedgewood, went there for my birthday last year and had some great food, the beetroot sorbet was something else.

Agree re the beetroot sorbet, was it served with some dark chocolate and vanilla pana cotta? Outstanding!

The palate cleanser there was amazing too!

Sterling Archer

Agree re the beetroot sorbet, was it served with some dark chocolate and vanilla pana cotta? Outstanding!

The palate cleanser there was amazing too!

Think it was coconut, I'd also recommend the pigeon starter for anyone going there.

Oh, another idea.

Montpeliers Bar and Brasserie, Bruntsfield place.

Innis & Gunn on tap as well. thumbsup.gif

360 for a half pint :wow:

Think it was coconut, I'd also recommend the pigeon starter for anyone going there.

you are correct, it was coconut!

The Plumed Horse has not closed and even though it has lost its star it is still an exceptional restaurant just maybe not as in vogue as the TV Chefs.

Wedgewoods is well worth a visit and another to throw into the mix that is up there is Restaurant Mark Greenaway at 12 picardy Place.

Martin Wisharts new place on north castle street called the honours is very good, but personally I love Dantes in Colinton village for a good quality family meal

Hate to continue a rumour but all those reviews for the curry place that had the stupid competition recently seems a bit dodgy ...

Don't often go out in Edinburgh, but I worked there for nine months this year. Used to get taken out "by the bank" (shower of pretentious arse-pieces) but the best place we went IMHO (and it is very H) was The Livingroom, which I think is on George St or thereabouts. Good food, service was decent. The kind of place I was glad I wasn't paying, if that's a measure of a restaurant...

The Living Room isnt expensive in the slightest mate unless you were hammering the champagne

it lost it due to the front of house service so I am told not the food which when I have been has been good but not quite at Wishart's or Kitchen standards.

southside1874

I think you have to go for the ones with the Michelin Stars. I also like Fishers on the Shore and Kebab Mahal on a good day. My favourite is driving over to Fife and booking into the Peat Inn for the night. You'll need about ?600 for the room, the meal and good drinks after your meal.

http://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/index.htm

southside1874

montpeliers on the same thread as Martin Wishart. Havin' a laugh. Might as well complete the list by adding Dario's and Bratisanni's.

laugh.giflaugh.gif

I think you have to go for the ones with the Michelin Stars. I also like Fishers on the Shore and Kebab Mahal on a good day. My favourite is driving over to Fife and booking into the Peat Inn for the night. You'll need about ?600 for the room, the meal and good drinks after your meal.

http://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/index.htm

The Peat is awesome but my ultimate one which I havent booked yet is Le Manoir but that will have to be some serious dosh for Mr Blanc.

southside1874

The Peat is awesome but my ultimate one which I havent booked yet is Le Manoir but that will have to be some serious dosh for Mr Blanc.

Relais and Chateaux are brilliant.

You should try Le Spinaker down by Montpellier in the South of France. I couldn't stop eating and luckily the bedroom is beside the restaurant because I had to lie down and sweat. I felt like Mr Creosote from the Monty Python sketch.

Relais and Chateaux are brilliant.

You should try Le Spinaker down by Montpellier in the South of France. I couldn't stop eating and luckily the bedroom is beside the restaurant because I had to lie down and sweat. I felt like Mr Creosote from the Monty Python sketch.

Thanks will check it out you seem to have sampled some awesome venues .

Sure I cant tempted you with a wafer ? just a little one?

Archived