McGhee for Celtic..

Mike Hunt

Ryan Gosling
Insulting Motherwell fans is never a bad thing but could you imagine KB if this was a Hearts manager! :eek::eek::eek:

We'll never know unless he is Hearts manager. I think he's just whoring himself around a bit.

Insulting Motherwell fans is never a bad thing but could you imagine KB if this was a Hearts manager! :eek::eek::eek:

Exactly but it really indicates two things - 1. he's no intention of being at Fir park next season. 2. making statements like that makes it extremely unlikely that he would be welcomed here by a large chunk of our support.

Back to the drawing board me thinks!!!

Only a Game
In what context was the question he answered asked ,we have the comment here but not the full interview?.

I dont have a problem with what he said he at least being honest again there is NO evidence that supporting the smellies has any bearing on how he does his job.in fact with well winning the opposite ,but yes it would do on how some fans perceive how he would do his job more so Chelsea ones if he came to us,so that could be a problem.

So what if he would prefer the Celtic job if offered as i said earlier at the moment i think CL would take the tic job if offered over us also.

Its not perhaps a huge deal. As I said I dont think it would effect his ability or willingness to do a decent job. I just think that one of the keys for the new manager is fan approval and having the fans right onboard and right behind the team and the manager. He'd alienate a significant section of our support if he declared support for Celtic whilst he was Hearts manager (theres an element of that support who I would love to see alienated anyway but he wouldnt be doing himself any favours with the ordinary non sectarian Hearts fan in the street either) Neither would Davies for the same reasons.

And yes, if you have the choice of both jobs its a no-brainer. Perhaps he thinks he does ?

I remain to be convinced that McGhee is going to become our next manager. As for his comments at Celtic on Saturday, as others have pointed out, if he had said that while manager of Hearts - rightly or wrongly - there would be an outcry.

Personally it wouldn't matter to me who the manager supports in the same way that it doesn't matter who the players support. Paul Hartley never hid the fact he was a Celtic fan but always gave 100% for us - never more so than against Celtic and I've no doubt that Hartley will always remember his time at Hearts very fondly.

shaun.lawson

As someone who favours McGhee, I can't say I was impressed by his comments on Saturday either. Even allowing for the fact that the OF are so dominant in Scotland, it's inevitable that many managers, players, even referees and administrators grow up as fans of one or the other of the uglies, you never get this sort of thing down south - even among, say, ex-Man Utd players who've gone into management.

That said though, it's natural that he wants the Celtic job a lot more than the Hearts one. I'd be surprised if he moved back down south to the Championship, and have always figured he had a pecking order of Celtic, then Aberdeen, then us - but with the Dons having made the top 6, and heading in all likelihood for the Cup Final, I can't see Calderwood leaving now. As for Celtic: conventional wisdom has it that Strachan will probably stay if they lose the title, but leave if they go on to snatch it - but if the job did become vacant, I'd suggest they'd have a wish list of:

1. Moyes

2. Keane

=3. McGhee and Mowbray

Of these, I still think Moyes could be persuaded to leave Everton, and may well feel he needs to if he's to raise his profile high enough to have a chance of the really big EPL jobs. Mowbray would supply great football, which the Celtic fans are crying out for at present, and would be a bold, but risky choice: there's an increasing sense that his way of playing leads to his teams coming up just short against more streetwise, cussed opposition, which is surely exactly what Rangers are now under Smith.

Keane's the wild card though: with the mid-tier of the EPL increasingly competitive, and full of clubs with wealthy owners prepared to spend huge amounts, how much further can he take Sunderland? It's very conceivable they could improve a lot next season, yet end up only a couple of places higher in the table: the jump from Level 3 of the Premier League (clubs in positions 13-20) to Level 2 (positions 5-12) is a very significant one. He'd also be a very popular choice with the Celtic support, and it could be just the move he needs if he's to make himself a viable option to replace Fergie when the old man finally retires.

Only if neither Moyes nor Keane will come does McGhee become a realistic candidate: it could happen, but I think he's aware of the above, so is keeping his options open. And those options do, I strongly believe, include us: would he really prefer to head back south to an insanely competitive league full of clubs in financial difficulties, with boards so desperate to get into the Premier League that they give managers no time at all to turn things around? I doubt it, myself.

So we'll see, and the chance of landing him depends on other circumstances - which is why we've had to wait in his case basically. Incidentally, to put his position in perspective: I'm a Hearts fan, and in normal circumstances (ie. if we were run normally, and not by an interfering megalamaniac), if I had the chance of managing either Hearts or Celtic, would find that a very tough decision. But in current circumstances, I'd be off to Parkhead like a shot - and if that's my position as a Jambo, you have to understand why McGhee feels the way he does about the two positions.

he is clearly pitching for the Celtic job on the bhoy card as it were because in experence terms he cannot compete with the 2 main candidates

Whats the issue he only said what everyone knew and that he was a Celtic Fan who maybe one day may manage them!!!

Anyhow according to a sellik fan in the work apparently there has been a lot of talk about Slavan Bilic taking over from the wee ginger sh it.

He spoke highly of sellik and said he would love to manage them.

I do not see the problem with it!

If Roy Kean's sunderland beat Man u and he turned round and said well I played for man u and I supported Man u and to beat them on their own ground for the first time....well it's amazing!!

I fail to see how that would be a problem....everyone knows Roy keane and Man u will be reunited one day soon and mcghee is in the same bracket in a sense that he hopes him and celtic could be reunited one day!

Billy Davis never supported well

Terry Butcher Never supported well

Tommy Burns never supported Kilmarnock

Alex macdonald never supported hearts

Alex ferguson never supported Aberdeen

Alex Mcleish was not a hibby

They all done well with each of these clubs though, thats how they all got their big move!

Would McGhee have said this if Hearts had approached him ?

Makes me think he is not in the running anyway or he's really stupid :confused:

Personally think its just a back handed attempt at bigging himself up.

An attempt to emphasise his profesionalism.

I'm a Celtic fan but i'll still do them on their own patch, if you will.

Archived