Trams - now it's over ?1B

H2

The BBC reports:

"The latest cost estimate is ?776 million. Far higher than originally claimed for the entire network. Interest payments will take the total to more than ?1 billion."

"Scotland's finance secretary, John Swinney MSP, has claimed he was "repeatedly misled" by TIE about its handling of the contractual disput"

Tram Contractor

"The vast majority of the risk was with Tie"

BBC tonight 10.35.

There is a bit of a myth that we are getting 1/2 a tram line for twice the price. It's probably more like 1/3rd (a third) 33%. The first part to be dropped has been conveniently forgotten about.

TramRoute.jpg

That bit that went from Granton to Haymarket.

The relative perspective, looking proportionately is that to have completed the whole job, that was promised on time and on cost, would have been in the order of ?3bn and might have been completed in the year 2026.

It would be interesting to know how this cost compares to the DLR we have here in London. Anybody know? I'd say it covers an area roughly the size of Edinburgh, approx 50 stations, very convenient to use. I suspect it was probebly ore than ?1bn however they must be well on their way to making the money back on it. This tram farce is an absolute tragedy when you consider what else the cash could have been spent on.

dobmisterdobster

It would be interesting to know how this cost compares to the DLR we have here in London. Anybody know? I'd say it covers an area roughly the size of Edinburgh, approx 50 stations, very convenient to use. I suspect it was probebly ore than ?1bn however they must be well on their way to making the money back on it. This tram farce is an absolute tragedy when you consider what else the cash could have been spent on.

Most of the line already existed before the DLR was built.

The BBC reports:

"The latest cost estimate is ?776 million. Far higher than originally claimed for the entire network. Interest payments will take the total to more than ?1 billion."

"Scotland's finance secretary, John Swinney MSP, has claimed he was "repeatedly misled" by TIE about its handling of the contractual disput"

Tram Contractor

"The vast majority of the risk was with Tie"

BBC tonight 10.35.

How much is that per mile?

Most of the line already existed before the DLR was built.

Was it? What line? Not where I am. They're mostly overhead and too big to take full size trains.

dobmisterdobster

Was it? What line? Not where I am. They're mostly overhead and too big to take full size trains.

Between Bank and West India Quay/Canary Wharf and maybe further on was built on the a old disused railway line that served the Docks back in the day. Obviously it's expanded a hell of a lot since then but they didn't start from scratch like the Edinburgh trams.

I know ?1bn has been spent on the trams with not much to show for it but there are plenty of transport projects in London that dwarf them in terms of cost.

Archived