Scottish Exiles

Alan_R

The talk of potential Scotland line ups got me thinking. How does this look for a line up; all players currently plying their trade outside of the SPL. They'd pump most SPL teams without question. I've deliberately left out the likes of Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton and Charlie Adam.

GK Iain Turner (bought for peanuts from Stirling before going on to eventually make his EPL debut)

DR Paul Caddis (Swindon)

DL Mark Reynolds (Sheff Wed)

DC Gordon Greer (Captained all his clubs since leaving Kilmarnock and featured in team of the year)

DC Danny Wilson (Liverpool)

MR Scott Arfield (Made a very good start at Huddersfield)

ML Robert Snodgrass (snapped up from Livi's youth system)

MC James McArthur (Wigan)

MC Craig Bryson (Derby)

ST David Clarkson (currently at Brentford I've always thought he was a decent player)

ST Chris Maguire (Derby)

S1 James McPake (Regular for Coventry City)

S2 Don Cowie (plenty Championship game time)

S3 Andrew Halliday (Middlesborough)

S4 Kevin McDonald (Sheff Utd)

S5 Bob Harris (Defender of the Year, stand out in Div 1 been snapped up by Blackpool)

Now undoubtely it is the lure of a bigger pay check that takes many further afield. Maybe that is answering my own question but do we do enough to keep the best talent in Scotland. Especially at Hearts, being one of the SPLs bigger clubs should we not be poaching alot of these lads. Even if you get a few seasons before the better players inevitably go on for big buck moves) you'd get a good squad and potential profit).

Maybe too much football manager for me :unsure:

Prince Buaben

The talk of potential Scotland line ups got me thinking. How does this look for a line up; all players currently plying their trade outside of the SPL. They'd pump most SPL teams without question. I've deliberately left out the likes of Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton and Charlie Adam.

GK Iain Turner (bought for peanuts from Stirling before going on to eventually make his EPL debut)

DR Paul Caddis (Swindon)

DL Mark Reynolds (Sheff Wed)

DC Gordon Greer (Captained all his clubs since leaving Kilmarnock and featured in team of the year)

DC Danny Wilson (Liverpool)

MR Scott Arfield (Made a very good start at Huddersfield)

ML Robert Snodgrass (snapped up from Livi's youth system)

MC James McArthur (Wigan)

MC Craig Bryson (Derby)

ST David Clarkson (currently at Brentford I've always thought he was a decent player)

ST Chris Maguire (Derby)

S1 James McPake (Regular for Coventry City)

S2 Don Cowie (plenty Championship game time)

S3 Andrew Halliday (Middlesborough)

S4 Kevin McDonald (Sheff Utd)

S5 Bob Harris (Defender of the Year, stand out in Div 1 been snapped up by Blackpool)

Now undoubtely it is the lure of a bigger pay check that takes many further afield. Maybe that is answering my own question but do we do enough to keep the best talent in Scotland. Especially at Hearts, being one of the SPLs bigger clubs should we not be poaching alot of these lads. Even if you get a few seasons before the better players inevitably go on for big buck moves) you'd get a good squad and potential profit).

Maybe too much football manager for me :unsure:

Biggest factor in all of this is wages Hearts cant afford to compete with most of these teams (as you have already mentioned) Also the competiveness and oppurtunity for a big time move is a lot bigger than at Hearts or the SPL in general.

Realisticly there is no incentive for a player to play in the SPL. Rangers and Celtic want everything yesterday and arent really interested in nuturing talent. How much talent have they ruined over the years and if you arent at either them then its maximum 3rd and occasional finals and an even rarer win.

Looking at the Scotland Squad only 4 players play in the SPL the rest in the Premiership and Championship and how many more SPL based would get in the squad.

alwaysthereinspirit

To be fair you could probably make up a squad of 15 from JKB who would give some SPL teams a run for their money. Well at least the $#!te teams like #ibs.:whistling:

Biggest factor in all of this is wages Hearts cant afford to compete with most of these teams (as you have already mentioned) Also the competiveness and oppurtunity for a big time move is a lot bigger than at Hearts or the SPL in general.

Realisticly there is no incentive for a player to play in the SPL. Rangers and Celtic want everything yesterday and arent really interested in nuturing talent. How much talent have they ruined over the years and if you arent at either them then its maximum 3rd and occasional finals and an even rarer win.

Looking at the Scotland Squad only 4 players play in the SPL the rest in the Premiership and Championship and how many more SPL based would get in the squad.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the back of the land lady from Portsmouth that won her case to show EPL football from a Greek provider.

It the TV money goes wages in the England will drop.

The talk of potential Scotland line ups got me thinking. How does this look for a line up

I'm pretty under-whelmed, to be honest.

Archived