Reserve League

Manny1874

Reserve league football could return as part of SFA plan to revamp Scottish game

Oct 9 2011 Gordon Waddell, Sunday Mail

THE SFA are pushing for the return of reserve football to the Scottish game next season.

And they want it to be given a showcase on a Monday night, played in the clubs' own stadiums.

The last incarnation of the second-string league was axed by the SPL in the summer of 2009 after a vote by clubs.

But many of those sides have expressed regret over the decision after finding it impossible to get action for fringe players, returning crocks and kids no longer eligible for the Under-19s.

Now SFA performance director Mark Wotte has presented plans for a revamp which will bring the stiffs back from the dead.

At a seminar on Monday for managers and coaches, the Dutchman outlined a blueprint for a new league, which will be made up of Under-20s sides who will be allowed to field two over-age players and an over-age keeper.

But the beaks are only prepared to back the initiative financially if clubs commit to giving it a proper slot.

The demise of the reserve league was hastened when SPL sides started playing what had become an Under-21 set-up at junior grounds and training parks, played mostly on midweek afternoons.

The SFA believe that took the game away from the punters, which is why they want to see the return to the tradition of the games being played in the clubs' stadiums on a uniform night to encourages fans to go along.

Courtesy of the Sunday Mail.

Sounds like a positive step to me. Its absolutely essential that we have some kind of league structure between first team football and Under 19's.

Seymour M Hersh

About effing time and if we voted in favour of dropping it then whoever made the decision to vote that way should be ashamed of themselves.

ToadKiller Dog

Should never of being removed . Ask any manager one of the hardest jobs is getting the standout players at U19 level to develop into the first team ,so many good young players get lost between 19 and 21 never to make it .

The reserve league or wedge antilles U21 mixed league idea is needed to bridge that gap .

To cut it out for finance reasons was foolish typical SPL short term thinking.

What Reserve League ??

There's no mention of a Reserve League. He's only proposing to turn the U19's into U20's, and allow 2 overage outfield players in.

It may be a (very small) step in the right direction, but it's not exactly revolutionary. Also, I doubt that most SPL pitches would last the season if we're doubling the number of games on them.

:sad:

Chris Benoit

So they'll cut the U19s?

Even ******* worse, it's going to be a massive step for the lads advancing from U17 level.

What Reserve League ??

There's no mention of a Reserve League. He's only proposing to turn the U19's into U20's, and allow 2 overage outfield players in.

It may be a (very small) step in the right direction, but it's not exactly revolutionary. Also, I doubt that most SPL pitches would last the season if we're doubling the number of games on them.

:sad:

Agree, it's a nothing change and count actually be counter productive with players who have just made the move up from U-17s missing out on game time in a more critical point of their development

There should be U-17 / U-19 / and then U-21 with 2 overage players

Anything less than that is not addressing anything

I don't even see the need for an u21 with overage players.

Just put in a reserves league and let the clubs decide who competes.

I remember watching Celtic vs Hearts Reserves on Celtic TV a few years ago.

We had all youth players except Kancelskis, and possible Neilson.

They had Balde, Killen, Sno, and a whole host of other first teamers. We won the game I think 1-0 (maybe 2.) Imagine what the does to the confidencde of the youngsters.

I don't even see the need for an u21 with overage players.

Just put in a reserves league and let the clubs decide who competes.

Agree completely with this. :thumb:

Leave the existing structure in place up to, and including, U19's as that seems to be working.

Bring in a Reserve League (no age restrictions) which will help youngsters bridge the gap between playing within their own age group, regardless of what that age is, and playing experienced SPL players. It will also allow First Team fringe players, and players coming back from injury, to get games. How that mix looks should be up to individual clubs to manage on a week to week basis, depending on their players circumstances.

It's not rocket science. :sad:

The problem here is the reference to a 'league' - which implies a competition with winners and losers.

A reserve team will sometimes consist of genuine reserves and, at other times, will be largely made up of first teamers returning from injury / suspension etc. In extreme cases, the 'reserve' team could be better (on paper) than the first team. There is little point in a league playing so-called 'competitive' games if the composition of the teams will vary from week to week depending on which players need the games. What does it matter who wins that league ?

I prefer the under 20's with two over age players idea. At least there should be a modicum of consistency of team selection which would allow bonding and a real desire to do well in the league. Who knows, it could even attract reasonable crowds ?

I agree we need a reserve league back but dont see the point of having an u19 league then an u20 league. u21 or 23s would be better for fringe players with 2 overage players if we have someone returning from injury etc.

But it looks like a step in the right direction bringing back a reserve league

Great news if true.

And I like the idea of playing games at Tynie on a Monday night. Better than watching Neville talk crap on Sky Sports thats for sure.

This is a positive step!

Still think this needs to be done on a region by region basis rather than sending reserve teams all over the country...

Some folk have posted that they think the U19's will be cut. It doesn't say that and I dont think that is the plan. It's a step between U19's and full team football.

I'd rather it were U21's or U23's. Can you imagine how some of our players might have benefitted recently with something like this? Even so, it could come at a great time when we have a very strong U19's team but not enough space for them all in the first team squad. And we know Vlad won't mind having a large squad and paywages if he thinks he can make money off them in the end.

The_razors_edge

I personally still think a 'B' team in a lower league a la spain would be massively beneficial. Youths and fringe players can at least have an opportunity to gain competitive experience at a lower level against players who are actively going out to beat them. The only problem I foresee is if a 'B' team wins promotion or finishes in the play off place. Ultimately we need something between 19's and 1st team. The stiffs isn't always the answer as most players don't give a toss and end up going 'through the motions' - as admitted in various autobiographies of ex pros that I've read.

jamboinglasgow

Some folk have posted that they think the U19's will be cut. It doesn't say that and I dont think that is the plan. It's a step between U19's and full team football.

I'd rather it were U21's or U23's. Can you imagine how some of our players might have benefitted recently with something like this? Even so, it could come at a great time when we have a very strong U19's team but not enough space for them all in the first team squad. And we know Vlad won't mind having a large squad and paywages if he thinks he can make money off them in the end.

I reckon that if a under 20 reserve league is brought in then the under 19s will become an under 18 league.

Having a competitive non-age restricted reserve league would be my preference. Allows youngsters learn to play with grown men, and if there is a competitive edge it lets players develop their "desire" before being forced into 1st team action.

Keep U-19s etc for the youngsters.

Archived