What do the 'Auld Yins' think.....?

fordy

The other day i was talking to a couple of mates re 'great players' over the years at Tynie. One of them mentioned Alan Anderson, now don't get me wrong, i liked big Alan, and he was an excellent servant to the club. But i can't in all honesty call him a Hearts 'great.' What i remember about him, is he was a good steady centre half who chipped in with a few goals in his time. Also a 'snip' at ?2,000 from Scunthorpe.

Another player mentioned in the 'great' category was Bobby Prentice. As i've said on here before, Bobby was either brilliant or garbage !Some of his play was fantastic, other times he was invisible in a match, you just never knew with Bobby.

What do the other err...more mature guys on here think re these two players ?

gorgie_rebel

Always loved Alan Anderson ever since he took time out to referee a football match for our school.

Was brilliant with us and brought a whole load of Hearts stuff with him to give out.

Never rally saw him play as he retired just before I started going to Tynecastle but always seemed to be a favourite with my auld man.

Bobby Prentice was in many ways like Rudi is today.

Could spend weeks doing hee haw but when he was on his game he was simply outstanding.

The other day i was talking to a couple of mates re 'great players' over the years at Tynie. One of them mentioned Alan Anderson, now don't get me wrong, i liked big Alan, and he was an excellent servant to the club. But i can't in all honesty call him a Hearts 'great.' What i remember about him, is he was a good steady centre half who chipped in with a few goals in his time. Also a 'snip' at ?2,000 from Scunthorpe.

Another player mentioned in the 'great' category was Bobby Prentice. As i've said on here before, Bobby was either brilliant or garbage !Some of his play was fantastic, other times he was invisible in a match, you just never knew with Bobby.

What do the other err...more mature guys on here think re these two players ?

Would agree with your assessment of both players.

Anderson was not spectacular but a good value-for-money buy; solid, usually reliable but tended to be a wee bit dirty at times.

Prentice was absolutely brilliant or absolutely useless, as you say, with a tendency to be a little greedy. On his day, which sadly was not that often, he would frighten any full back.

Alan Anderson was a very under-rated centre half. Had he been playing for either of the Bigot Brothers he would have got a stack of caps. As I remember all he got was a "B" cap against Australia if I remember correctly.

Alan Anderson was a very under-rated centre half. Had he been playing for either of the Bigot Brothers he would have got a stack of caps. As I remember all he got was a "B" cap against Australia if I remember correctly.

I concur!

Never forget his rampage up the park at Ibrox!

I concur!

Yep Colin - and great performance the night Donald Ford scored for us in the cup quarter final in 68. He was outstanding that night as I remember.

Alan Anderson was a hard hard defender. Decent player, not a great though.

Bobby Prentice could have been a great player, but despite having all the talent required he was IMO a waster. Nowhere near as good as Rudi.

Captain Scarlett

I agree about Alan Anderson and he could pull a good pint,seen a lot of him in Jim Holton

"We've got Bobby,Bobby,Bobby,Bobby Prentice on the wing,on the wing" Well sometimes....

I agree about Alan Anderson and he could pull a good pint,seen a lot of him in Jim Holton

"We've got Bobby,Bobby,Bobby,Bobby Prentice on the wing,on the wing" Well sometimes....

Nail on the head - more often than not annonymous. Great left peg when he was interested but that only happened in about one in six games.

Craig Herbertson

Alan Anderson was very solid. Scored more goals than you might think (as he pointed out to me when I got it wrong in Contalmaison - 38 but I think 21 in official matches)Had the misfortune to be playing when Billy McNeil and John Gregg were in their hey day but despite that deserved a cap or two when they were off form as he was very consistent. It's noticeable that when he played in a Scotland XI tour, Scotland didn't lose a game.

Prentice on the other had was a mixed bag of utter brilliance and lassitude. If he had a better finish and didn't have a tendency to beat people twice for fun he would have been an all time great. Alan Anderson told me that Prentice used to pull the whole team out of position sometimes when he decided to do this. On the other hand he was definitely hero material because he produced moments of utter excitement racing past defenses like they were made of butter - and this in the day when you're legs would be crocked if they could catch you.

Francis Albert

Alan Anderson was a better than average centre half but certainly not international class or a "Hearts great". Playing alogside the likes of Arthur Thomson maybe made him look better than he was.

Rab Prentice (introduced by the EEN as the "new Messiah" when he first appeared) was on his day unstoppable. Unfortunately he only ever had about one weeks worth of days.

Teuchterjambo

Alan Anderson was a very good centre half in a very good Hearts team that just came up short on trophies. He was unlucky that his prime coincided with that of Billy McNeil who was an outstanding centre half and leader and also to a lesser extent Ron McKinnon at Rangers - were it not for that he would surely have been capped on numerous occasions. His career spanned a good number of years and on top of that was a good character and leader and deserves to be revered in our history if maybe coming up just short of a legend like Bauld,Mackay ,Cumming etc but nonetheless a very fine player and oustanding servant.

Bobby Prentice - nowhere near the same level. Flattered to deceive most of the time and never got near the generation of wingers he succeeded like Johnny Hamilton and Raold Jensen. He could be outstanding on his day and certainly worth remembering but nowhere near enough good days - I think when we remember players like him we tend to judge them on their star performances and not how effective they were week in week out.

scott herbertson

Alan Anderson was a very good centre half in a very good Hearts team that just came up short on trophies. He was unlucky that his prime coincided with that of Billy McNeil who was an outstanding centre half and leader and also to a lesser extent Ron McKinnon at Rangers - were it not for that he would surely have been capped on numerous occasions. His career spanned a good number of years and on top of that was a good character and leader and deserves to be revered in our history if maybe coming up just short of a legend like Bauld,Mackay ,Cumming etc but nonetheless a very fine player and oustanding servant.

Bobby Prentice - nowhere near the same level. Flattered to deceive most of the time and never got near the generation of wingers he succeeded like Johnny Hamilton and Raold Jensen. He could be outstanding on his day and certainly worth remembering but nowhere near enough good days - I think when we remember players like him we tend to judge them on their star performances and not how effective they were week in week out.

I agree 100% with this.

The only thing I would add is that Anderson was a big threat at set pieces, especially corners. He would have been much more highly regarded IMHO if he had had a sweeper or more 'cultured' defender of the Miller, Narey, Jardine tyope beside him.

You have to remember in these comparisons that most of the team then were absolute huddies.

Prenticeonthewing

Speaking personally Rab Prentice was a joy to watch - and actually quite good at coaching kids football :mellow:

I concur!

Yes. I was priviledged to be at Ibrox that day. Great rampage and a goal to boot. As far as the thread is concerned, both very good players but neither were "greats".

Francis Albert

A very good Hearts team? His career spanned 64 to 76, one of the poorest periods in Hearts histories. We obviously came very close to a trophy in 65, but other than that we were a mid-table side in an 18 club league. We struggled to get to cup finals in 68 and 76 and flopped disastrously in each final. Despite better players than Anderson (Ford, Cruickshank and Jensen spring to mind) it was a pretty depressing period, during which we got 7000 or 8000 for routine home league games.

alan anderson was a very good centre half, lacked a bit of pace but made up for it in reading then game. Rab prentice was the usual tempremental winger, on his day he was untouchable and would win a game single handled and on other he would be anonimous but is that what what most wingers are!!

Alan Anderson was a better than average centre half but certainly not international class or a "Hearts great". Playing alogside the likes of Arthur Thomson maybe made him look better than he was.

Rab Prentice (introduced by the EEN as the "new Messiah" when he first appeared) was on his day unstoppable. Unfortunately he only ever had about one weeks worth of days.

A bit like Temps

A very good Hearts team? His career spanned 64 to 76, one of the poorest periods in Hearts histories. We obviously came very close to a trophy in 65, but other than that we were a mid-table side in an 18 club league. We struggled to get to cup finals in 68 and 76 and flopped disastrously in each final. Despite better players than Anderson (Ford, Cruickshank and Jensen spring to mind) it was a pretty depressing period, during which we got 7000 or 8000 for routine home league games.

Don't remind me. :ninja:

Francis Albert

A bit like Temps

Too early to say.

Anyway, our league finishes in the Anderson years (my memory wasn't wrong) (64/65 to 75/76)

2nd,7th,11th,12th,8th,4th,11th,6th,10th,6th,8th,5th.

Yet there is much nostalgia about them.

Thankfully there was no internet then.

Too early to say.

Anyway, our league finishes in the Anderson years (my memory wasn't wrong) (64/65 to 75/76)

2nd,7th,11th,12th,8th,4th,11th,6th,10th,6th,8th,5th.

Yet there is much nostalgia about them.

Thankfully there was no internet then.

Maybe just as well there was no internet othwerwise we would be spouting even more rubbish than normal although I do recall wthout the referring to google that the big man did run a bar just of the Bridges called the Pivot which he probably thought was quite an appropriate name being a centre half (as they were called in those days).

Francis Albert

Maybe just as well there was no internet othwerwise we would be spouting even more rubbish than normal although I do recall wthout the referring to google that the big man did run a bar just of the Bridges called the Pivot which he probably thought was quite an appropriate name being a centre half (as they were called in those days).

The Royal Oak as was and was afterwards, in Infirmary Street. Where allegedly the team celebrated Hogmanay (and beyond) before that other highlight of the era, 1st January 1973.

The Royal Oak as was and was afterwards, in Infirmary Street. Where allegedly the team celebrated Hogmany before that other highlight of the era, 1st January 1973.

So is that we we were humped that day.

jambo-in-furness

Alan Anderson was IMO a poor replacement for Roy Barry, Bobby Prentice was fleeting at the best. Donald Ford, Drew Busby, aye even Willie Wallace, were all bigger and better players, John Cummings, Davie Holt, Chris Shevlane,and many many others would have a load more caps had they played for the uglies.

Alan Anderson was IMO a poor replacement for Roy Barry, Bobby Prentice was fleeting at the best. Donald Ford, Drew Busby, aye even Willie Wallace, were all bigger and better players, John Cummings, Davie Holt, Chris Shevlane,and many many others would have a load more caps had they played for the uglies.

Chris Shevlane did...in dubious circumstances. :ninja:

I've never thought of either player as being a Hearts "great" but Alan Anderson was a great servant to the club and Bobby Prentice was a player who could get you up on your toes but, more often, leave you frustrated. My abiding memory of Anderson was him turning away with his arms outstretched after scoring Hearts goal in the first semi-final against Dundee United at Hampden. He seemed to have the wingspan of an Albatross and I thought we were on our way to the final. Sadly the game ended 1-1 and we were well beaten in the replay when Andy Gray scored an absolute scorcher for Dundee United.

I don't agree with the comments that Anderson shone when surrounded by poor players. He spent a fair bit of time playing alongside Eddie Thompson, who was no slouch, and still looked a quality centre back. Not many players have played more games for us than Alan Anderson so he deserves to be right up there but not in the "great" category.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

The Royal Oak as was and was afterwards, in Infirmary Street. Where allegedly the team celebrated Hogmanay (and beyond) before that other highlight of the era, 1st January 1973.

The Royal Oak indeed, Francis. I was a member of the very active Pivot Hearts supporters club in the early to mid 1970s, when Anderson had the pub. They used to take a busload to most away games.

Happy days.... I think. :teehee:

Neilson's Shank

Decent CH but great guy, admitted he was gutted to move from Milwall to Scunthorpe although moving up a division. Enjoyed the London life with the likes of Charlie Cooke of Chelsea etc in the early sixties

Hearts Heritage

The spine of the team when I started to watch was Jim, Alan and Donald. Alan is 7th in the all time Post WWII appearance list. A great servant to the club. It brings to mind that argument is someone a 'Great' because they played 300 or 400 games say.

On the objective level (no of appearances) you would have to say 'Yes'. If you were making a list of Hearts very best centre Halves He probably wouldn't make it.

Teuchterjambo

You are quite correct FA - I was referring to him in the context of the 64/65 season which was a very good side but as you say what followed was mediocre at best.

Clerry Jambo

alan anderson was a very good centre half, lacked a bit of pace but made up for it in reading then game. Rab prentice was the usual tempremental winger, on his day he was untouchable and would win a game single handled and on other he would be anonimous but is that what what most wingers are!!

This about sums it up for me :thumbsup:

When Anderson came into the team I never rated him at all. Not good enough was my expert opinion. I felt the same about Jimmy Murray, my expertise provided me with the same opinion as I had on Anderson. Never knew Prentice.

As can clearly be seen by my assessments of Anderson and Murray I know the square root of F all about football. <_<

I spoke with Alan a few times while on the Contalmaison trip a couple of years ago. A real gent. He was a good player in a period of mediocre Hearts teams.

Doctor FinnBarr

Just started to see Alan near the end of his career and for me he was pretty sound in what he did and was always prone to do a Zal and go charging up the pitch with the ball at his feet and he was friendly with Maurice and Eve that owned the then Bathgate Inn (Barrs) and would come thro for the odd night when the Bathgate bus left from there.

Rab tho, typical winger, always flattered to deceive but a winner on his day but......they didn't come around too often!

:)

When Anderson came into the team I never rated him at all. Not good enough was my expert opinion. I felt the same about Jimmy Murray, my expertise provided me with the same opinion as I had on Anderson. Never knew Prentice.

As can clearly be seen by my assessments of Anderson and Murray I know the square root of F all about football. <_<

Funily enough I thought the same when he first played for us - I did'th think he was as good a C/H as Roy Barry or even Willie Polland - however he got better and better as time went on. After he went we suffered - John Gallagher who replaced him wasn't half the player that Anderson was and the 70's decline started.

Funily enough I thought the same when he first played for us - I did'th think he was as good a C/H as Roy Barry or even Willie Polland - however he got better and better as time went on. After he went we suffered - John Gallagher who replaced him wasn't half the player that Anderson was and the 70's decline started.

To be fair the 70s decline started about 1970. :ninja:

To be fair the 70s decline started about 1970. :ninja:

Aye, you might well be right there in fact some said it started on the day that Tommy Walker got sacked. Certainly after that we were never half the team we had been under Walker.

jambos are go!

I would put Alan Anderson in the same category as Walter Kidd and Gary Mackay as a really good player but not good enough to be a Scotland regular. In addition to players mentioned earlier Ian Ure was also around and the regular Arsenal Centre Half so there were few opportunities

to get a call up. He did go on a B International tour to Australia. He scored virtually all his goals from Headers and I have no recollection whatsoever of him

rampaging upfield like every other Centre Back of the era.

I also have no recollection of Rab Prentice only producing only one or two really good shows a season. If that had been the case he would not have won so many Unser 23 Caps plus games for the Scottish League. Nor would folk have congegrated on his wing in the days when you could switch ends. He was much more consistent than suggested and as well as mesmeric dribbling he had great pace and was a superb crosser with that left foot. Drew Busby was the major recipient of his great crosses.

He did not score enough goals and often made poor choices but if you can recall the Buzz Miko/Juanjo could cause at Tynecastle and multiply it a couple of times then you can imagine how good he was.

Francis Albert

I spoke with Alan a few times while on the Contalmaison trip a couple of years ago. A real gent. He was a good player in a period of mediocre Hearts teams.

The good old days. When finishing only once higher than 6th (and then just 4th) in ten seasons could be described merely as "mediocre". Now being 4th is enough to qualify as "gash", "shite"and calls for the manager's head.

scott herbertson

quote name='Francis Albert' timestamp='1318199219' post='2483950']

The good old days. When finishing only once higher than 6th (and then just 4th) in ten seasons could be described merely as "mediocre". Now being 4th is enough to qualify as "gash", "shite"and calls for the manager's head.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you!

Four+Yorkshiremen.jpg[

Coburg Hearts

As usual, Mr.S. is bang on the money. I am, of course, too young to comment on the main theme of the thread. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Decent CH but great guy, admitted he was gutted to move from Milwall to Scunthorpe although moving up a division. Enjoyed the London life with the likes of Charlie Cooke of Chelsea etc in the early sixties

Alan Anderson left Millwall in 1962 , Charlie Cooke didn't leave Dundee for Chelsea until 1966

Hearts Heritage

Alan Anderson left Millwall in 1962 , Charlie Cooke didn't leave Dundee for Chelsea until 1966

He was Dr Who's second assistant though.

Jam Tarts 1874

Looking at how poor our midfield is these days I can't help thinking about how good Kenny Aird was for us. It was a bit of a disaster for Hearts when He and Busby jetted out of Tynecastle.

Guest Dipped Flake

Have to agree with the OP. Alan Anderson was one of my first favourite players but that was more to do with his commitment than his football skill. Prentice could have been on of the greats but he only showed his skill in flashes, a bit like loads of wingers I suppose

Hearts Heritage

It was a bit of a disaster for Hearts when He and Busby jetted out of Tynecastle.

Both played in the relegation season of 1976-77 so they were both on the Maroon Titanic as it hit the relegation iceberg.

He only played 8 games after leaving Hearts before retiring.

Also He was never a 'regular' his best being 8th equal in terms of season appearances.

Archived