Two in hospital after 'Killer' Edinburgh curry competition

Say What Again

Say What Again

The competition involves people eating the "Kismot Killer" curry - which sounds awfy hot :woot:

Curie Kim, 21, an American student on an exchange to Edinburgh University, said she decided to enter the challenge when she saw it advertised in the restaurant.

"It was very painful and felt like I was being chainsawed in the stomach with hot sauce on the chainsaw. :lol:

"I have learned my lesson and will never do it again and, in fact, I will be cutting down on my spice intake full stop."

Ms Kim came second in the contest.

"The woman who won ate the last bowl in four seconds and then ran outside to be sick where as I didn't so I've learned I should have had a game plan like that," she said. :lol:

"I was in so much pain I wasn't aware of what was going on around me".

Organiser Abdul Ali said: "The British Red Cross we had on board could not cope. We put our hands up. We did have to call the emergency services for a couple of our participants." :lol:

BBC link

Has anybody on JKB ever been to Kismot,never been myself,me and my wife eat out every Sat night, most of our friends eat out every week, but we have never spoken to anyone who has been there.It's No.2 on Trip Advisor restuarants in Edinburgh and it seems to get new 5 star reviews every day from a lot of people doing their first ever review.

Is it any good, or are these reviews false? :whistling:

Midloth_Iain

Has anybody on JKB ever been to Kismot,never been myself,me and my wife eat out every Sat night, most of our friends eat out every week, but we have never spoken to anyone who has been there.It's No.2 on Trip Advisor restuarants in Edinburgh and it seems to get new 5 star reviews every day from a lot of people doing their first ever review.

Is it any good, or are these reviews false? :whistling:

Funny enough, we went to Kismot for a birthday meal last Saturday night, a few hours after the competition.

It was very busy and they struggled a wee bit with service but my food was excellent. Had a North Indian Garlic Chicken, which was a bit hotter than similar dish in other restaurants I have tried, but extremely tasty.

Two of the girls who were out with us both had a Jalfrezi and whilst stating they enjoyed it, I believe both had dodgy guts in the morning :whistling:

I would suggest give it a try, but its not my fave curry house in town.

will give it a go then :thumbsup: ,been going to The Bombay Lounge and Itihaas recently, both in Dalkeith and both very good, but the Bombay Lounge has gone downhill a wee bit tho. :down:

The People's Chimp

From the comments section on the grauniad website:

no-user-image.giflondonisporous6 October 2011 8:28AM

This story sums up of how so many restaurants in Edinburgh are now failing to provide a service and a decent menu to Edinburghers. And it leaves a lot of eateries in the same boat as "Kismot" who seem to think that they need to sell gimmicks to get footfall through the door.

I 'll give you a good example; Why cant i get the dish Chicken Tikka Chasni in any curry restaurant in Edinburgh?! Its been available in Glasgow curryhouses for the last 30 years. But yet in Edinburgh if you ask for Chicken Tikka Chasni you get blank stare and ignorance. Again this shows how dysfunctional and unproductive the Edinburgh restaurants are in providing a service to locals.

We are going to see a lot of Edinburgh restaurants close over the next year due to the recession, and to be honest i wont be sorry to see them go.

http://tinyurl.com/44vaymf

:cornette:

Was even an item on Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 today. Top publicity. You can imagine all the 'ard men from down south trying them when they're up on a stag doo.

The People's Chimp

Was even an item on Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 today. Top publicity. You can imagine all the 'ard men from down south trying them when they're up on a stag doo.

Bound to be rammed for the foreseeable future. Perfect marketing.

Bound to be rammed for the foreseeable future. Perfect marketing.

Thats just what I said in the work this morning.

The Mighty Thor

I really like Kismot. They're food is excellent IMO.

Never had a bad meal in there. Never had the balls to go for the really hot currys though.

Say What Again

Was even an item on Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 today. Top publicity.

Quite a big piece on the TV news last night too.

tommythejambo

Tried the killer curry before. Got 2/3 of the way through and just had to throw in the towel.

Wasn't ill but it was a major toilet paper in the fridge job the next day.

Midloth_Iain

will give it a go then :thumbsup: ,been going to The Bombay Lounge and Itihaas recently, both in Dalkeith and both very good, but the Bombay Lounge has gone downhill a wee bit tho. :down:

Owned by the same people apparently.

Itihaas is superb :thumbsup:

Archived