Jason Holt called up to U21 squad

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I've just been told that Jason has been called up to the Scotland U21 squad.

Well done to Jason, but I think it reflects poorly on recent managers that he hasn't been seen in the Hearts 1st team squad more often.

Well done young man.

I might be way off on the players in that squad and how much game time they get, but is that not some jump from playing at Riccarton every other week to playing for Scotland Under 21's?

Clerry Jambo

Well done young man.

I might be way off on the players in that squad and how much game time they get, but is that not some jump from playing at Riccarton every other week to playing for Scotland Under 21's?

Good point GA

Would be interesting to know how many of the U21 squad actually get first team game time at their clubs.

Good Luck to the young lad by the way :thumbsup:

Footballfirst

Good point GA

Would be interesting to know how many of the U21 squad actually get first team game time at their clubs.

Good Luck to the young lad by the way :thumbsup:

Here is the original squad. I'm guessing that someone has dropped out allowing Jason to be called up.

Goalkeepers

Grant Adam (Rangers)

Marc McCallum (Dundee United)

Mark Ridgers (Heart of Midlothian - on loan to East Fife)

Defenders

Callum Booth (Hibernian)

Darren Cole (Rangers)

Paul Hanlon (Hibernian)

Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)

Ross Perry (Rangers)

Lewis Toshney (Celtic)Danny Wilson (Liverpool)

Midfielders

Scott Allan (Dundee United)

Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)

Tom Cairney (Hull City)

Liam Kelly (Kilmarnock)

Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday)

Peter Pawlett (Aberdeen)

David Wotherspoon (Hibernian)

Gregg Wylde (Rangers)

Forwards

Leigh Griffiths (Wolverhampton Wanderers - on loan to Hibernian)

Alexander MacDonald (Burnley)

Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town)

Johnathon Russell (Dundee United)

The Scotland facebook page earlier said that Tom Cairney and Liam Kelly were out due to injuries so i'm guessing that's why Jason has been called up. Well done Jason :thumbsup:

Here is the original squad. I'm guessing that someone has dropped out allowing Jason to be called up.

Goalkeepers

Grant Adam (Rangers)

Defenders

Callum Booth (Hibernian)

Darren Cole (Rangers)

Paul Hanlon (Hibernian)

Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)

Ross Perry (Rangers)

Midfielders

Tom Cairney (Hull City)

Liam Kelly (Kilmarnock)

Peter Pawlett (Aberdeen)

Gregg Wylde (Rangers)

Forwards

Good for Jason, if it's accurate what you've been told. There are a lot of very good players in that squad... and David Wotherspoon rolleyes.gif

Footballfirst

Good for Jason, if it's accurate what you've been told. There are a lot of very good players in that squad... and David Wotherspoon rolleyes.gif

It's a reliable source - John Murray.

jamboinglasgow

I've just been told that Jason has been called up to the Scotland U21 squad.

Well done to Jason, but I think it reflects poorly on recent managers that he hasn't been seen in the Hearts 1st team squad more often.

when I saw Cairney and Kelly had dropped out I did think that out of the under 19s midfielders he was the best and most likely to be called up.

Great credit to him and I agree he should have had more game time for the first team then he has had. I do hope that Sergio has a plan to bring him into the first team as he will be a big player for us if given time and patience.

IF and it's a big IF we as fans along with the 'boss' were willing to forego one season we could develop a very talented squad with some of the talent we have and will have very shortly.

We could play Robinson, Holt, Ridgers, (Craig Thomson -- controversial I know), Prychynenko, McGowan, Novikovas, G Smith, Walker, D Smith along with a few others as well as a few of the younger first team squad.

We may never know just how they may develop given the size of our first team squad as a whole.

Would we be willing to take that risk for alonger term benefit ?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Hanlon and Wotherspoon have been utterly humpty every single time I have seen them play football... What the **** are they doing playing international football? :o

IF and it's a big IF we as fans along with the 'boss' were willing to forego one season we could develop a very talented squad with some of the talent we have and will have very shortly.

We could play Robinson, Holt, Ridgers, (Craig Thomson -- controversial I know), Prychynenko, McGowan, Novikovas, G Smith, Walker, D Smith along with a few others as well as a few of the younger first team squad.

We may never know just how they may develop given the size of our first team squad as a whole.

He should never again be associated with Hearts, he brought the club shame with his actions, CONTROVERSIAL is an understatement .

You can't mean Csaba if Jason is only 18 now. Paulo is just in the door so you can't be having a dig at him so you must mean JJ.

Not many guys get their game for Hearts when they are 17/18 years old.

Clerry Jambo

Goalkeepers

Grant Adam (Rangers)

Defenders

Callum Booth (Hibernian)

Darren Cole (Rangers)

Paul Hanlon (Hibernian)

Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)

Ross Perry (Rangers)

Midfielders

Tom Cairney (Hull City)

Liam Kelly (Kilmarnock)

Peter Pawlett (Aberdeen)

Gregg Wylde (Rangers)

Forwards

Cheers FF

Looking at that list it appears most of them have certainly played in their respective first teams.

Like any young lad coming through the Tynie ranks will be good to see them perform in the first team.

Absolutely not.

At any time over the last 10 years we have folk foaming over the latest crop of youngsters and you are lucky if one or two actually make a decent breakthrough.

If they are good enough, they will find their way into the squads and starting 11's.

Delighted for the lad.

Could this put Saturdays under 19 game in jeopardy ff?

Would be surprised given that there are no other Hibs/Hearts u19s in that squad. Not so sure if the Scotland 19s squad have any tho assume Hamilton, Smith & Tapping

Footballfirst

Delighted for the lad.

Could this put Saturdays under 19 game in jeopardy ff?

I guess it could, but that would probably be John Murray's and Darren Murray's call. I know that Chris Tobin missed Saturday's game with a knee injury (not serious), so that may be a factor in any final decision. All the other teams U19 games have been called off this weekend, so it wouldn't surprise me if the "wee derby" was also called off.

If it was postponed, then there is no guarantee that Jason would be available for the new date as he may have been called up to the 1st team squad by then. :whistling:

Footballfirst

How has Jamie Walker been playing on his recent return from long term injury FF?

He is getting better with each game. Initially he wasn't able to train between games, but there's been no reaction after the last couple so he is getting back to being able to take a full part agian. The physios have rightly been taking it slowly.

He looks sharp and is looking for the ball which is always a good thing. The talent is definitely still there. I would guess that if he stays fit that he will end up as the U19s leading scorer at the end of the season.

Charlie-Brown

He is getting better with each game. Initially he wasn't able to train between games, but there's been no reaction after the last couple so he is getting back to being able to take a full part agian. The physios have rightly been taking it slowly.

He looks sharp and is looking for the ball which is always a good thing. The talent is definitely still there. I would guess that if he stays fit that he will end up as the U19s leading scorer at the end of the season.

That's good to hear, certainly at U15 & U17 level Jamie was by far the best young player in that age group, Jason Holt has obviously progressed steadily as predicted and is now ahead of Jamie who obviously hasn't made much progress over the last 15 months or so due to long term injury but provided he can stay fit we have 2 tremendous prospects. Fingers crossed!!

I reckon Ridgers will see more game time next season. Balogh, Kello and MacDonald all up at the end of their contracts. Can see Balogh going regardless, Kello I reckon will be looked at by a few clubs I reckon so he may go and Jamie Mac will probably be kept on as number 1 and Ridgers back up. At least I can see that happening.

With the number of players at the end of their contracts it is a chance to let these guys have a go. Sign at least 4 or 5 good first team players and play these guys in and around them. I reckon G.Smith, Novi, McGowan, Ridgers and Robinson are assured a lot more game time in the coming few years, Holt and the rest will be on loan next year, probably in and around the 1st and 2nd division. Seems to have worked for McGowan, MacDonald, Ridgers and Smith so hoping it works for the others.

Taking a risk like that is a big one if a club doesn't have a nucleus of established players in the side. By that I mean older players, with experience who can help play a role in player development, like Man Utd with guys like Giggs, Fletcher, Scholes, Ferdinand and to an extent Rooney around the place. I'd say we could try that as we've got Kyle, Skacel, Stevenson, Driver, Webster and Jonsson about the team. Just be a case of fitting the squad in around them. But I doubt you'll see that happening any time soon. But most of these guys should end up in the squad with the exodus of players I can see at the end of this season, just hope they live up to their expectations.

mahgrassyshoes

I don't think it is necessary to forego a whole season. I think we should be giving the youngsters time when we are 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 up with 20 mins to go. Give them trust and responsibility in small doses. This would still possibly cost us a few points over the course of the season, but nothing like foregoing a whole season. The fact is, we still need the revenue from finishing top 6, possible European games and cup runs etc...

Ribery's Face

How's temps not been called up for the 21's? When he's been playing well at first team and Jason plays u19's. I know he's a great player and well done too him, it just bemused me!

jamboinglasgow

How's temps not been called up for the 21's? When he's been playing well at first team and Jason plays u19's. I know he's a great player and well done too him, it just bemused me!

Temps is 22 so is ineligible.

Aye welldone Jason Holt great wee player,good news for him and hearts they must be doing something right at the academy,although i reckon there should be more hearts players in the 21,s a bit dissapointing seeing that we have done okish over the last couple of seasons yet other clubs who have not done to well seem to get preffered strange.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Anyone know what that boy Tom Cairney is like in real life. All I know is that he develops into a playmaker extraordinaire on FM.

Anyone know what that boy Tom Cairney is like in real life. All I know is that he develops into a playmaker extraordinaire on FM.

Pretty sure he made his debut at Hull whilst still in EPL & was wanted internationally by England. Quite a prospect by sounds of it

I'm sure Cairney scored against Everton when Hull were in the Prem. He certainly played against them at Goodison Park.

Really getting frustrated about not seeing more of this kid. Im sure PS will be more willing to bring him through than a Scottish manager as he realises football isn't about brute force.

But at 18 going on 19 you would really want to be seeing him getting some game time. The cream should be break through by then, especially as we play in a barely professional league.

Footballfirst

Jason missed out on selection for both the starting line up and the bench for tonight's game against Luxembourg. That would suggest that it is unlikely that he will feature in Monday night's game at home to Austria either.

Scotland are 4-0 up after 70 minutes, with a hat-trick from Jordan Rhodes (English born Huddersfield striker) .

I think the pitch is likely to be the cause of any call off on saturday, The Heriot Watt ground staff are useless, they neither fork or roll the pitch. They are supposed to but get away with murder !

I think the pitch is likely to be the cause of any call off on saturday, The Heriot Watt ground staff are useless, they neither fork or roll the pitch. They are supposed to but get away with murder !

thats a good point as last friday i was playing there on the outdoor pitches and had to go a collect a ball from one of tghe grass pitches and it was almost waterlogged even though we had all that warm weather for days before

Fozzyonthefence

Well done young man.

It depends on the opposition they are up against I suppose. Looking at the squad though, it is absolutely honking and I think most of them will be out of their depth - far too many of them nowehere near their first teams and another example of how weak Scottish football is these days. We used to have good U21 squads with lots of players getting regulat first team action.

Coburg Hearts

It depends on the opposition they are up against I suppose. Looking at the squad though, it is absolutely honking and I think most of them will be out of their depth - far too many of them nowehere near their first teams and another example of how weak Scottish football is these days. We used to have good U21 squads with lots of players getting regulat first team action.

They were out of their depth right enough, they only won 5-1.

jamboinglasgow

Actually out of the whole 18 players named there, only 3 haven't had games for their club this season (Grant Adam, Danny Wilson and Darren Cole.) The rest have been first team starters or at least a few apperances off the bench so far this season. Ryan Jack and Peter Pawlett are regulars for Aberdeen. Paul Hanlon, Callum Booth and David Wotherspoon all have been regulars for Hibs this season, Stuart Armstrong, Johnny Russell and Scott Allan have played a number of games for Dundee United (with Allan producing a number of MotM performances,) Ross Perry has actually played for Rangers in a few games and has done well at the back, while Gregg Wylde has established himself as Rangers left winger, Liam Palmer has made 8 league apperances for Sheffield Wednesday so far in this league campaign, Jordon Rhodes has scored 4 goals in 8 league games so far, Alex MacDonald has made 4 league apperences for Burnley this season, Mark Ridgers has been number 1 while on loan at East Fife and Leigh Griffths has been making a few apperances since he moved on loan to Hibs.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Griffiths put something on facebook how he is sick of international football or something along those lines as I saw somebody post in the pub, could anybody shed any light on this?

Griffiths put something on facebook how he is sick of international football or something along those lines as I saw somebody post in the pub, could anybody shed any light on this?

Posted saying

'defo thinking about chucking International Football'

Booth and Wotherspoon are not in Hubs starting 11 at moment. Wonder if Jason will get dispensation to play on Sat.

Archived