who own the property rights to hearts badges ?

slfjambo

i tried to buy a hearts badge off e-bay and the seller got told to remove this item because of umbro

Thank you for your recent Multiple Item Auction listing

on eBay. Unfortunately, these items breached one or more of our policies and had to be removed from the site. Any associated fees have been credited to your account and all bidders on this item have been notified of its removal.

160224211630 - HEARTS FOOTBALL - PIN BADGE - ENAMEL - 1" - SCOTLAND

because Umbro International Limited reported it to us for violating their intellectual property rights. When eBay is notified by a rights owner of an intellectual property rights infringement, eBay must remove the item in order to meet certain legal requirements.

Why was your listing removed?

Trademark infringement is unlawful and breaches eBay's policies. A trademark is a unique sign (such as a name, word, phrase, logo, or symbol) that a company uses to identify its products and/or services.

Using another company's trademark in a way that may confuse buyers about the source of goods or services, or confuses buyers into believing that the seller is affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the trademark owner is both illegal and against eBay's policies. Examples include counterfeits, unauthorised replica items and items that bear the brand or logo of a company without that company's permission.

Guideline: If the product you are listing bears the brand or logo of a company, but it wasn't made or authorised by that company, don't sell it on eBay.

The rights owner for the item you listed sent us a signed legal statement telling us that your item infringed their copyright, trademark or other rights. We were therefore legally obliged to remove the listing.

If you have any questions about the removal of your listing please contact the rights owners directly.

I remember a bit of a fuss about this years ago (might be Mercer or more likely Pieman) - where they tried to change the club badge slightly and to copyright it. There was a big outcry from the fans about tradition, etc and I seem to remeber it was dropped. Certainly don't think that Umbro own the rights as it appears on a lot of things other than sportswear.

davemclaren

My understanding is that Hearts own the rights to the current badge design ( thanks to CPR )but ye olde design is free for all.

Archived