Jamie MacDonald

DG_HMFC

Having just listened to the Kello interview of Hearts.TV, it seems he may be back fit again in time for the Pars match. Apart from the mistake at Inverness, I think J.Mac has been impressive - yesterday in particular he pulled off a few great saves. So the question is: Should Kello just walk right back into the team or does Jamie deserve to keep his place?

scott herbertson

Having just listened to the Kello interview of Hearts.TV, it seems he may be back fit again in time for the Pars match. Apart from the mistake at Inverness, I think J.Mac has been impressive - yesterday in particular he pulled off a few great saves. So the question is: Should Kello just walk right back into the team or does Jamie deserve to keep his place?

Tough one as I think Kello is fundamentally a betterkeeper than MacDonald. However Sergio claims to be building team spirit - lose as a team win as a team.

In the spirit of that keep Jamie in until his standards slip, if they do. If they don't we're doing fine anyway

Had he not made any of the "great saves", they would have been goalkeeping mistakes. Weather never helped but I would expect my keeper to have made them.

Kello should be right back in as he is head and shoulders the best keeper at the club.

Deserves to stay in the side until he slips up.

What's the point in having competition for places if a player is guaranteed a spot regardless of form?

Carl Fredrickson

I would always play the best 11 available. I would change a winning realm as I believe In horses for courses.

kello is by far the better keeper, however im pretty happy at how macdonald has done (slip at inverness aside)

i will trust sergio's judgment for whoever he picks...................except balogh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind Jamie, think he's steady enough and has never let us down. Kello is nuber one, but Jamie is miles better than Balogh.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He made great save from a header down to his right yesterday.

His kicking is really, really, really poor though.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

He's made some great saves and his shot stopping is pretty good but he isn't an inspirational keeper like Kello. His kicking definitely needs improvement. Would still rather see him staying as he's a very good backup and better than a lot of first choices elsewhere.

I'd release MacDonald tomorrow and offer Kello a new 5 year deal.

If you think we should release him tomorrow then you are quite simply daft.

Normally id say a player playing well should stay until he loses the jersey. But I think the keeper is a bit different. Kello is considerably better and should always start if fit.

The White Cockade

I may have been on a trip to Peebles but did we ever find out what caused Kello to be dropped by Vlad last season?

He is a great keeper but in my opinion hasn't been the same guy since his Vlad flu last term

Not sure his concentration is back to 100% yet

Still even though Jamie has done well enough a fully focused Kello is our top keeper

Normally id say a player playing well should stay until he loses the jersey. But I think the keeper is a bit different. Kello is considerably better and should always start if fit.

Agree

Had he not made any of the "great saves", they would have been goalkeeping mistakes. Weather never helped but I would expect my keeper to have made them.

Kello should be right back in as he is head and shoulders the best keeper at the club.

This for me

While they were "good" saves I think there would have been about 20 threads on here for him to be dropped if any of them went in.

Kello straight back in as he is by far the better keeper. MacDonald is a decent shot stopper but his kicking is poor and he does not command his area. He almost never comes for crosses, there were quite a few corners delivered into the six yard box yesterday that he could have came for but he stood rooted to his line. MacDonald is decent cover but not good enough to be our permanent no 1.

John Gentleman

Kello straight back in as he is by far the better keeper. MacDonald is a decent shot stopper but his kicking is poor and he does not command his area. He almost never comes for crosses, there were quite a few corners delivered into the six yard box yesterday that he could have came for but he stood rooted to his line. MacDonald is decent cover but not good enough to be our permanent no 1.

Neither did Craig Gordon.

Snake Plissken

Tell you something I look for in goalkeepers: kicking.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, Kello should go straight back in as he's the best goalkeeper we have. That doesn't make Jamie shite nor does it diminish the form he's showed, Kello is just the better of the two.

Whoops just posted on another keeper thread without spotting this one. Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks Kello should come straight back in.

MacDonald has done well, and he is a great second keeper. But Kello is far better in every department and I think it would be churlish to leave him out.

Why wait till a mistake happens before reinstating our first choice keeper? Lets just try make sure that the mistake never gets the chance to happen and get our first choice keeper back in asap.

Never quite got the negativity towards JMac. I think he's a very good keeper who has never let us down. He commands his defence well too. Don't think having the ball at feet is a strong point for any one of our 3 goalies, so I won't mark Jamie down too far for that either. Considering he generally just comes in for a game at a time, often at late notice, with no reserve football keeping him ticking, I think he's been nothing short of outstanding as our backup. Maybe he deserves a run...

Agree Kello is the better keeper though and I'd suggest only Paulo and Alan Carswell are placed to make a decision based on performance and confidence in training. From games alone, as above, I'd almost be tempted to stick with Jmac.

rossthejambo

As far as GK position is concerned, the best player must play if available. The best player to play in goals on our books is Kello, therefore when fit he plays. It's quite simple really.

Not meaning to knock Jamie, he's performed well enough, but he's not as good as Kello.

Guest Just Came To Say Kello

Anyway, Kello should go straight back in as he's the best goalkeeper we have. That doesn't make Jamie shite nor does it diminish the form he's showed, Kello is just the better of the two.

You're my favourite goalkeeper. :wub:

Yes, it's a bizarre thing to look for in a football player.

Rudolf's Mate

Kello by far however JM has done really well (slip apart) and I do think it would be hard on him to be dropped.

Snake Plissken

Yes, it's a bizarre thing to look for in a football player.

If we were to list the most important attributes for a goalkeeper, I would put shot stopping, reflexes, agility, positioning and handling far above kicking. I would rather have a goalkeeper who could save a shot than kick the ball 70 yards, as crazy an idea as that may be. I don't really watch a goalkeeper and think 'my word, what an excellent kick that was'. Would Craig Gordon have been worth ?20 million if he could kick better?

As far as critiques go, it's a pretty spurious one to cling on to and one that was oft levelled at Kello even after he improved that aspect of his game.

If we were to list the most important attributes for a goalkeeper, I would put shot stopping, reflexes, agility, positioning and handling far above kicking. I would rather have a goalkeeper who could save a shot than kick the ball 70 yards, as crazy an idea as that may be. I don't really watch a goalkeeper and think 'my word, what an excellent kick that was'. Would Craig Gordon have been worth ?20 million if he could kick better?

As far as critiques go, it's a pretty spurious one to cling on to and one that was oft levelled at Kello even after he improved that aspect of his game.

His kicking is REALLY bad though. Noticeably pish for a position that can usually get away with it. Gordon wasn't the greatest with the ball at his feet but he managed, almost all of JM's just about drift out of play and barely make it out of our half.

For a team that has recently seen the back 5 have a lot of the ball, I think it's important to have a keeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

All the best teams have keepers who are capable with the ball at their feet. It sounds a bit outdated to me to say that kicking is irrelevant for a keeper. Not long ago defenders were only in to defend and being able to pass the ball didn't mean much, the game has moved on though.

He had a good game against Celtic though and probably deserves to keep his place for the next.

Kello lost his spot through injury not poor form & he's a better keeper. Its a no brainer.

Templeton'sUnderpants

JM has been good I'm far more confident with him that I would have expected to be. Having said that Kello is miles better and should be straight back in. i'm sure even JM accepts that Kello is first choice.

The best goalkeepers in the world can turn defence in to attack in seconds with a good kick from hand, from the deck or from a good long throw. If you look a the liverpool goalie he's one of the best a his distribution is outstanding, almost more like a quarter back rather than a aimless punt.

If the goalie can effectively distribute the ball when the opposition have just had a corner or free kick they can effectively take half that team out of the game. Its an outstanding tactic if used effectively.

Unfortunately, and traditionally in this country, our goalies (Scottish rather than Hearts) prefer to slow the game down, wait for everyone to get back in to position and then pump it high and long down the middle of the pitch for the Centre Mids / Forwards / Centre defence all to battle over a ball falling from the heavens.

Its not the first skill needed, but it is very important and can be worked on.

Wee jamie will end up playing in the first division after his contract runs out.

To be fair, he will be offered a contract, similar to the one he's on and will remain a reliable deputy for the club. He has obviously decided that he is happy at the club and where he is living etc and also the contract he's on. Fair play to him, solid keeper and doesn't seem to cause any bother.

Not sure if its fair to say he has found his level, but he has been loyal to the club and that shouldn't be discounted. An all-round better option than Balough as our reserve keeper, but if they were both on the same money then I think I would keep Balough, but I think JMac will be the cheaper option.

somakeanoise

I often wonder if jamie's ability to communicate with the English speaking defenders helps close some of the gap that Kello has over him as a keeper. It was only after being given a run in the side that Kello stood out for me. Before that i thought we had three of equal ability. Who's to say Jamie wouldn't continue to improve given the opportunity?

somakeanoise

I often wonder if jamie's ability to communicate with the English speaking defenders helps close some of the gap that Kello has over him as a keeper. It was only after being given a run in the side that Kello stood out for me. Before that i thought we had three of equal ability. Who's to say Jamie wouldn't continue to improve given the opportunity?

Captain America

Kello lost his spot through injury not poor form & he's a better keeper. Its a no brainer.

This.

gorgiefaithful

I rate Jamie highly. Myself being a goalkeeper. The only thing he has done wrong and was a small mistake was at Inverness. I don't see why given his performance against Celtic he should be thrown on the bench again.

Archived