Pub v Premier League

Prince Buaben

CavySlaveJambo

Unless SKY buy the rights for the whole of the EU and then sell them on, not allowing foreign broadcasters to show them in the UK.

Footballfirst

Unless SKY buy the rights for the whole of the EU and then sell them on, not allowing foreign broadcasters to show them in the UK.

Talks on that very subject are ongoing with UEFA. Stewart Regan has tweeted a few times over the last month or so that he has been in Switzerland discussing subjects including centralisation of TV rights acoss Europe.

e.g. from this morning

StewartReganStewart M. ReganMeeting Michel Platini at UEFA this lunchtime. Lots to discuss - centralised TV rights and improved governance in football especially

Geoff Kilpatrick

Talks on that very subject are ongoing with UEFA. Stewart Regan has tweeted a few times over the last month or so that he has been in Switzerland discussing subjects including centralisation of TV rights acoss Europe.

e.g. from this morning

StewartReganStewart M. ReganMeeting Michel Platini at UEFA this lunchtime. Lots to discuss - centralised TV rights and improved governance in football especially

And then all the pubs would do would be to broadcast Streampro and equivalents.

If Sky were fair on pubs to begin with then none of this would need to happen.

This, the rates for pubs are a joke. The whole system of how they charge bars should be looked at because right now it is done by a out dated USA system which is balls.

Sky actually own the rights in Italy and Germany anyone so they won't be out of pocket too much, if anything it may be cheaper for them, the really problem is that it is still creates a monopoly where pubs are forced to buying from one supplier! Even right now, u can't have virgin in a bar as sky ban them, how in a free Market is this allowed to happen?

The bubble is about to burst.

Anyone know where to buy a Decoder card and how much?

FWIW, I think the humble action replay might prove key.

If a football match cannot be designated 'a work' protected by Copyright because no individual owns the IP rights, showing an action replay at any given moment in time at the discretion of an individual surely would fall under this defintion making the production of the game 'a work'.

That being the case, a foreign broadcaster would need show the game using their own feed not incorporating the action replay provided by Sky. The FA simply would not allow that to happen.

I would not be getting too excited just yet, although the above is merely conjecture on my part.

Unfortunately I think you'll find that nothing's going to change for the publican / viewer in the UK.

Out of a ?3.2 billion pound deal, Sky only make ?130m revenue from European sales. They'll either do the games themselves, as they currently do in Germany and Italy, or just not let them be shown. If no one in Europe has the feed, no one back here can get to watch games on the sly satellite. :sad:

Unless Sky can protect thier investment in the EPL by getting the world wide rights to show the games (which I doubt they will) & sell on broadcast rights to overseas TV companys, the EPL will start to get less TV revenue, & the clubs at the lower end of the league will really start to feel it, will some go out of business? To many english clubs ( & scottish clubs) rely too much on TV cash other wise, they dont have enough revenue coming in via the FANS & sponsors alone,

worring times maybe ahead for a lot of football clubs, as sky will say, as others can broadcast it, we are not going to pay that much any more.

Ray Winstone

I'm sure the manager at one of the places I work said that they pay around ?34,000 a year for their Sky package.

:woot:

The judgement is being overruled.

Sky or the premier league will either buy all the rights and sell them on with it written into the contract they can't be broadcast in such a way hence they won't be able to get a company to give them a decoder/dish or more likely we will get logos emblazoned on live games across the world in order they can claim copyright infringement.

The pubs haven't won whether they like it or not.

The judgement is being overruled.

Sky or the premier league will either buy all the rights and sell them on with it written into the contract they can't be broadcast in such a way hence they won't be able to get a company to give them a decoder/dish or more likely we will get logos emblazoned on live games across the world in order they can claim copyright infringement.

The pubs haven't won whether they like it or not.

Surely you mean the judgement is being challenged? There is quite a bit of difference from challenging a decision and getting it overruled.

There is not a lot they can do if they sell the rights to satellite companies in Europe who have coverage over the UK. Attempting to blackmail those companies would be a restriction of trade and against EU rules. They have enough of a problem with the phone tapping cases than to take on the EU as well.

Sky can of course choose not to renew their existing contracts to EU broadcasters, as I suppose there is no law that says they must sell their rights to other countries.

Surely you mean the judgement is being challenged? There is quite a bit of difference from challenging a decision and getting it overruled.

There is not a lot they can do if they sell the rights to satellite companies in Europe who have coverage over the UK. Attempting to blackmail those companies would be a restriction of trade and against EU rules. They have enough of a problem with the phone tapping cases than to take on the EU as well.

Sky can of course choose not to renew their existing contracts to EU broadcasters, as I suppose there is no law that says they must sell their rights to other countries.

I don't think that's the point. What Sky could now do is arrange their coverage so that there are reams of copyrighted material being broadcast. If Someone in the UK then broadcast this in public i.e. via a Greek channel in their pub, then they would be breaking the law.

If all they did was simply show the game and none of the filler stuff, they may be ok.

I don't think that's the point. What Sky could now do is arrange their coverage so that there are reams of copyrighted material being broadcast. If Someone in the UK then broadcast this in public i.e. via a Greek channel in their pub, then they would be breaking the law.

If all they did was simply show the game and none of the filler stuff, they may be ok.

A lot of people are getting mixed up here right now. For a starters, Sky has no rights that can be sold on to any other provider, it is the EPL who sell the rights. Foreign suppliers do not use direct feeds from sky tv's, there are camera's at every ground in epl which are feed out to studios around the world, it does not go thru a main a sky line. If u watch Nova right now for example the commenters are not the same as Sky Tv.

I have a pretty ignorant view of things... it is this:

If value of TV rights for European football take a significant hit along with the Financial Fair Play rules then hopefully it will start to address the gulf in finances that has blighted the game and in turn level the playing field (I'm all in favour of wage caps etc).

Those who have overspent will be hammered and I have no issue with that. Yes I accept our own club have overspent and is saddled with Vlad's silly spending - but at least we are working through it and our dependancy on TV revenue is not as bad as many in the Prem will have.

What type of material could they broadcast that would count as copyrighted, and how wouldn't the copyright be infringed if shown in Greece as opposed to the UK?

I think any attempt to use copyright here to prevent broadcasting in public places would suffer the same restraint of trade/monopoly rules fate if challenged in the European Courts.

I guess this ruling also means that any pub can legitimately show Celtic and Rangers home games live (where available), so decent supporters won't have to travel to those vile institutions. We all know that certain pubs in Edinburgh have been showing these games on the quiet for years.

A Boy Named Crow

If Super Vlaf is right then the obvious way to screw the punter, which is what football authorities do, is to centralise European TV rights. Sky, or whoever, would buy the contract for all of Europe and we're back to square one and the EPL etc still get their cash. Alternatively the whole system falls down, huge amounts of cash leave the gane and the whole world falls back into a pre-Souness Like utopia...I know which scenario I find most likely!

*It's not the second one

Archived