Being a Hearts fan after 2005/2006

Groot

I'msure this has been discussed before but I was just wondering as I see all the threads kicking about just now if the 2005/2006 season spoiled lot of what being a Hearts fan is about (not that I would swap any of that season as there are so many wonderful memories) but prior to that I don't remember us being quite so demanding.

Sure, we all wanted Hearts to do well and a league challenge was something we hoped would happen rather than nowadays where there seems to group who seem to have come to expect this. A new manager coming in trying to introduce a new style would be greeted with a bit of excitement and as long as results were not shite they'd be granted some time.

We also do not have a divine right to win anything even cups, look at our history and take away the late 50s/early 60s in regards to cup success this generation has been relatively spoiled compared to other spells in the past. Our record in even getting to semi finals and finals is also abysmal when taking into account of a club of our stature, it's nothing new so I don't see how now suddenly people seem to think that is what should happen. By all means we should beat the likes of Falkirk, St Johnstone or Ayr United when we play them but in reality in one off games anything can happen and as is the case with Hearts it seems we get bittenon the arse more than most. That's why after the Ayr game everybody was disappointed I'm sure ( sure as hell I was) but after that initial disappointment the first thing I thought was "typical Hearts" and to me that's what makes being a Hearts fan great, we get kicked in the teeth so many times but it just means when the good times come (and they will come eventually, which is something I am sure of) it just makes it all the more sweeter

This isn't me trying to stifle debate, say other peoples opinions are wrong (I may say it in other threads when caught up in a debate but unless you are an utter roaster I don't mean it) or even claim to be a better fan (I'm not) just a request that when you're not happy with the style of play or don't like the manager just think about what makes it good to be a Hearts fan and think the good times and cup win might be just around the corner, it'll make you feel better about things I promise

Well I hope that's a feel good message to start your Saturday and the post certainly went off on a tangent from where I started and im sure i'll get a few 'cring' comments but all I can say now is bring on St Johnstone

:thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

There is an element of truth in that but it was the same after 1998 as well. The difference between the two is that post 1998 we demanded Robinson spend money that he didn't have. Post 2006, Vlad has spent money but pissed it up against the wall thanks to his egotistical ways. The realisation that our present spend on players is significantly higher than our peer group does give us the right to have higher expectations than most as a result. The problem is a significant number of the players in our squad remain wage thieves.

Probably find the real Hearts fans are the ones that followed Hearts in the 1st division,

taking football specials (trains) and 20 odd buses to away games.

Hearts fans were spoilt in 05/06 which was an awesome season with some great players playing out of this world football.

Some fans today want to put themselves in the shoes of their older fans who kept supporting the team through bad times.

In fairness I was only 2/3 when we were last in the 1st Division, ive heard the stories though

Jambof3tornado

Probably find the real Hearts fans are the ones that followed Hearts in the 1st division,

Hearts fans were spoilt in 05/06 which was an awesome season with some great players playing out of this world football.

Some fans today want to put themselves in the shoes of their older fans who kept supporting the team through bad times.

Which are you Jack or Victor???

So young fans arent real fans,do me a favour!!!

Half the old buggers didnt carry on following Hearts in the 1st division,and listen in around the ground,the biggest bunch of moaning faced gits are the 50 somethings!!!

I think our success in 2005/6 means that there are high expectations for the team to do aswell as that every season now. 3rd seems to be acceptable but anything less than that and people lose the plot. Every team has good and bad seasons.

With the players we had then and current manager. We would be damn close to winning the league. They would play the football he wants no problem. To get players like that again we would need a 14 million pound wage bill. Over 6 million more than it is now!

It's all about perspective, if you think finishing 3rd is no big deal you lack it!

If you think we should be winning cups every season, you lack it!

Now not saying you aren't entitled to that opinion but you will be disappointed a lot.

There is an element of truth in that but it was the same after 1998 as well. The difference between the two is that post 1998 we demanded Robinson spend money that he didn't have. Post 2006, Vlad has spent money but pissed it up against the wall thanks to his egotistical ways. The realisation that our present spend on players is significantly higher than our peer group does give us the right to have higher expectations than most as a result. The problem is a significant number of the players in our squad remain wage thieves.

spoton.png

2005-6 had an "all's well that ends well" veneer to it, and of course there was real, tangible success too - but always tinged with the thoughts about what might have been. The missed opportunity was, and in many ways still is, the big issue. And in many ways that season was not a good time to follow Hearts - there was total confusion about what was actually happening at the club, major divisions appeared amongst the fans and the players obviously hadn't the foggiest what was going on, especially once we had signed an entire team in January that the club wasn't set up to deal with. For much of the time after October, it wasn't particularly pleasant.

So no, I don't think Hearts fans were spoiled by that season - unless they had only just become Hearts fans and expected trophies every season. Most people could probably sense that we were sailing into very stormy waters.

The People's Chimp

In fairness I was only 2/3 when we were last in the 1st Division, ive heard the stories though

No excuse. Obviously no a real HERATS MAN eh. FFS.

Ahem.

05/06 did, in some ways spoil us, but if you look at the squads we've had over the years since then, we have, in each season, had a squad with players the rest of the SPL would love to have, in fact could only dream of having. That's another factor which leads to us having bigger expectations.

Which are you Jack or Victor???

So young fans arent real fans,do me a favour!!!

Half the old buggers didnt carry on following Hearts in the 1st division,and listen in around the ground,the biggest bunch of moaning faced gits are the 50 somethings!!!

Ageist post alert!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I'll let you know young man "us auld buggers" travelled in our thousands to spread the Gorgie gospel, now be quiet :P

Thankfully we had no Kickback then!

Absolutely this.

The expectations and the huge frustrations from the fans comes from the fact that if we weren't so wasteful with our money we should be clear in 3rd every season, as well as good cup runs.

There has been so much money wasted it's frightening, the amount of money brought in from transfers, as well as DFE swaps must come to ?35m+, yet we've achieved 8th and 6th place finishes in between our two third place finishes.

So your talking ?35m + investment and we've not progressed on the pitch, or put a dent in the debt, it's actually increased.

:(

Ageist post alert!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I'll let you know young man "us auld buggers" travelled in our thousands to spread the Gorgie gospel, now be quiet :P

Thankfully we had no Kickback then!

Agreed clerry bring back the gorgie boot boys with a na na na na na na na.

Personally I suspect Romanov was of the school of thought that all he had to do was throw money around on players (and no doubt held a view that the SPL is a weak league) and voila - the title and a CL group stage place would be handed to him on a plate. It didn't transpire and after a number of poor purchases since, he's had to be a bit more prudent with the cash.

Absolutely this.

The expectations and the huge frustrations from the fans comes from the fact that if we weren't so wasteful with our money we should be clear in 3rd every season, as well as good cup runs.

There has been so much money wasted it's frightening, the amount of money brought in from transfers, as well as DFE swaps must come to ?35m+, yet we've achieved 8th and 6th place finishes in between our two third place finishes.

So your talking ?35m + investment and we've not progressed on the pitch, or put a dent in the debt, it's actually increased.

:(

Spot on Merse

:rofl:

The fans were louder in the 1st division.

I've seen the videos, half empty tynecastle vs morton, dead.

Looked ELECTRIFYING...

Vlad said, somewhat wrongly that Hearts would be doing this and that within 3 years, winning titles etc If he was serious then we would've won it by now. Unfortunately, a lot of folk with marroon-tinted spectacles on actually believed his ramblings and many others, like myself thought he was talking out his erse. Had he not came out with his guff then maybe there wouldn't be the high expectations we've been listening to over the last few years from the fans. Vlad has only himself to blame.

No, guys my age probably saw 05/06 as a nice wee thank you for following real shit in the 70's. Now is a dream. Still near suicidal when we get beat but at least I don't have to go to school the next day after a hounding.

Gregory House M.D.

Please accept my sincere apologies for Hearts never being in the 1st division in my lifetime.

I can only hope that one year we have a horrible season and get relegated so I can watch us play Greenock Morton and take my rightful place as a TROO PHAN.

facepalm.jpg

Please accept my sincere apologies for Hearts never being in the 1st division in my lifetime.

I can only hope that one year we have a horrible season and get relegated so I can watch us play Greenock Morton and take my rightful place as a TROO PHAN.

facepalm.jpg

I think he was just making the point that following your club in lower divisions gives you a different perspective on things. However, it was nearly 30 years ago now ( :ninja: ) so it is less and less relevant to the club today. No need to apologise by the way.. :)

Gregory House M.D.

I think he was just making the point that following your club in lower divisions gives you a different perspective on things. However, it was nearly 30 years ago now ( :ninja: ) so it is less and less relevant to the club today. No need to apologise by the way.. :)

Yeah. It came across as "I'm a better fan than you". I agree that things can always be and have been alot worse following the famous.

J Cheever Loophole

Well im one old bugger as you put it that still goes to games, i was only making the point that you young guys have watched a great Hearts team 05/06 , unlike me had to wait a long time to see it.

Never said you were not a real fan,as you have not been in that situation(1st division)

In saying that we sang louder and better in the 70s something you cant argue with, and im Victor.

We carried an average of 2000-2500 away and I think we were 6000+ at home and the atmosphere was certainly better than a majority of games now.I do believe the Heart support as a whole is of the same make up but like I read on another thread,due to texting and the net we hear more of the supports moans and praises.

Jack

Big boned Fat and Fifty

Guest Just Came To Say Kello

delboyjambo went to airdrie away in the 80s and so is definitely homfc

J Cheever Loophole

Yeah. It came across as "I'm a better fan than you". I agree that things can always be and have been alot worse following the famous.

In a nutshell,well put.thumbsup.gif

I think after May 1998, many of us who had followed Hearts through the dark days of relegation perhaps felt the cup win was the holy Grail and perhaps some of us now have a different outlook when it comes to our fanaticism compared to fans who didn't witness the1970s.

That desire by a huge section of the support to actually see us win something was at times bordering on obsession, so when the monkey was eventually lifted, is it not surprising that some of that drive and hunger amongst a large part of the support has gone with it.

Any Hearts supporter thinking that success is some kind of birth right is I'm afraid going to be disappointed more often than not, the truth is April 2006, Hearts 4 Hibs 0 is as good as it's ever likely to get for us, but that doesn't mean we must not strive for future glories,and why the resting of players before any cup ties is arrogant and stupid, any cup win will be treasured,but we will never top that wonderful day at Parkhead in 1998

Craig Herbertson

I think after May 1998, many of us who had followed Hearts through the dark days of relegation perhaps felt the cup win was the holy Grail and perhaps some of us now have a different outlook when it comes to our fanaticism compared to fans who didn't witness the1970s.

That desire by a huge section of the support to actually see us win something was at times bordering on obsession, so when the monkey was eventually lifted, is it not surprising that some of that drive and hunger amongst a large part of the support has gone with it.

Any Hearts supporter thinking that success is some kind of birth right is I'm afraid going to be disappointed more often than not, the truth is April 2006, Hearts 4 Hibs 0 is as good as it's ever likely to get for us, but that doesn't mean we must not strive for future glories,and why the resting of players before any cup ties is arrogant and stupid, any cup win will be treasured,but we will never top that wonderful day at Parkhead in 1998

I remember a ''you'll never walk alone' extending to 3/4 of the ground because we were winning against Aberdeen in a meaningless game. The sweeties were given out in ones and twos in the seventies. Although going down to the First was a catastrophe the season itself was kind of fun; visiting tiny little towns you'd never seen in large numbers.

2005/2006 made it clear to me that if money is spent bringing in quality the old firm can be "got at".

That season raised the expectation's for all Hearts fans and if Vlad had made the correct decisions at the time we could have possibly won the league, made an impact in europe of some sort and more importantly grown into a real force in the following years.

A MASSIVE opportunity missed and one I doubt we'll ever get again in the near future.

I think we are deluded if we see 2005/06 as the pinnacle of being a Jambo. The fact is we should have walked the league that year but our dick of an owner screwed that up and I look back on that season as a huge opportunity lost. We have a far better squad even now than the majority of the SPL but unfortunately our managers never get a chance to build a squad and nurture ideas.

The fact is Hearts have been mismanaged for years by egotistical idiots, this is the sole reason that we have struggled to build upon each of our cup wins and progressed the way we should have.

And by the way, the Hears support was miles better in the 70's & 80's than it is now. We knew we were shite but loved the club no matter what and White Hart Lane brought that feeling back for the 1st time in years. We had a connection with the players back then that just doesn't exist nowadays as we were watching local lads living their dream and the players loved the atmosphere we created (especially the Gorgie aggro taking over towns all over Scotland).

The solution? get rid or Romanov and the ******* wage thieves he employs.

'IF YOU WERE NOT THERE IN 86 YOU ARE NOT A REAL FAN' type post IMO.

J Cheever Loophole

When we came out of Parkhead having won the cup,I thought there was a feeling of "what do we do now?"after all the pain we had all been through in the years previous,semi-finals,cup finals,'86,relegation.Although I was on a freebie and was invited back to an Italian restaurant in Gorgie for a slap up,I wanted to spend my celebrations with the mates whom I had shared the strife and turmoil.

Half the welts on here would go back to Youjizz if we ever had the misfortune to get relegated.tongue.gif

kennyblack'sshot

Being a football fan has changed so much over the last 20-30 years that there probably is a real difference in attitudes between 20 yr old fans and 40 yr old fans - much more than between say me and my dad's generation. For years football involved watching the game on Saturday, then reading about it on Sunday and Monday. People also collected things called programmes and published their own fanzines. The only highlights were on Sat night and Sunday afternoon and unless you taped them that was it, you never saw them again to be able to analyse them to death. (I'm sure refs prefer the old days and sadly the SFA hash;t caught up with technology.)

I used to be delighted to find something in a non-local paper about Hearts to read. Now Hearts are in the paper and online every single day and the opportunity is there to get totally consumed by your team, no matter who you support.

Chat like wee team/big team, hobo/yam, flair team/pub team simply didn't exist before the internet. In fact you rarely knew, or cared, what fans of other clubs thought of your team, apart from the views of your mates - and they were your mates so banter really was banter.

I don't know if expectations have really risen across the whole support (generally if you started watching Hearts when they were good you expect them to be good; if you started when they were crap like me everything above that is good) or if it's just that the media and internet has led to saturation coverage of every little thing. And some people on here seem to be more worried about what other people think of their team than the actual performances.

Ken what, I'm daft for the chat of an Australian based Manchester united fan that likes our team. That will drive my feeling and understanding of being a hearts fan.

Being a football fan has changed so much over the last 20-30 years that there probably is a real difference in attitudes between 20 yr old fans and 40 yr old fans - much more than between say me and my dad's generation. For years football involved watching the game on Saturday, then reading about it on Sunday and Monday. People also collected things called programmes and published their own fanzines. The only highlights were on Sat night and Sunday afternoon and unless you taped them that was it, you never saw them again to be able to analyse them to death. (I'm sure refs prefer the old days and sadly the SFA hash;t caught up with technology.)

I used to be delighted to find something in a non-local paper about Hearts to read. Now Hearts are in the paper and online every single day and the opportunity is there to get totally consumed by your team, no matter who you support.

Chat like wee team/big team, hobo/yam, flair team/pub team simply didn't exist before the internet. In fact you rarely knew, or cared, what fans of other clubs thought of your team, apart from the views of your mates - and they were your mates so banter really was banter.

I don't know if expectations have really risen across the whole support (generally if you started watching Hearts when they were good you expect them to be good; if you started when they were crap like me everything above that is good) or if it's just that the media and internet has led to saturation coverage of every little thing. And some people on here seem to be more worried about what other people think of their team than the actual performances.

The internet has killed football..............................

I've been following Hearts for 10 years in depth. I go into every game expecting the worst, games we win or do well in i'm happy with and if we lose then well the next game is a fresh slate. If I wanted to watch a team who win trophies and moan like feck when their team get beat i'd have followed most of the crowd at my schools and supported the bigot brothers. Hearts are a great club but in some ways still rather pash at football and I wouldn't want them any other way. Scottish football is sh*te and so is the way my team play but I fecking love it. Leave the glamorous football to teams like Barca and Man Utd who I watch on the TV. When it comes to going to the game I like a good old physically gruelling Scottish game. When I signed up to be a Jambo I knew what I was getting myself in for. Love the freezing cold games watching 22 guys kicking each other to bits rather than passing to death. That's the way I like it and i'm fine with that. Although i'd love to see us get success it's not a must. All I would like is just to know the lads give their all to keep us happy. Whether they can please us with the result is a different story.

Shanghai Hearts

No...has hopefully captivated numerous small boys to follow hearts as Jimmy Bones winner v hubz in 82-83 did for me!!!

Well said. :bravo:

portobellojambo1

I don't think 2005/06 has spoiled us or what it means to follow HMFC.

I think up until 1998 HMFC fans just wanted to see the club win something. 16 May 1998 was a superb day out, and years of waiting came to an end, and as someone above mentioned there was an element of "what do we do now" at the end. It brought to an end a long wait. Although I was delighted when we won the cup again in 2006 it just didn't create the same sort of tingling experience. Celebrated it in the same manner as the 1998 victory, but it just didn't seem so intense.

For me 2005/06 is more remembered as the season where we never really got to find out how it could have all finished, given the start we had. Not saying we would have won the league, but it would have been bloody nice to find out. I think maybe it is that not knowing which has maybe created differences of opinion in the support, differences which are easier to air over the internet. Many comments are made probably on the spur of the moment, whereas pre internet days you would go for a few drinks post match, probably not meet up with all your friends in football terms again until the next match and by that time you were thinking more about the game to come rather than dwelling on things that happened in the last match you'd witnessed or even further back. I think people are also more inclined to say things over the internet to relative strangers in comparison with what they would say in face to face discussions with friends

Long and short was I don't think we were spoiled, for me the recurring thought is "could we have won it if................" and the not knowing is what makes it a season many will tend to remember, whether they really want to or not.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If bighusref is going to troll me, he could at least do it correctly. Please swap Manchester United for Ballymena United in future. :thumbsup:

I'msure this has been discussed before but I was just wondering as I see all the threads kicking about just now if the 2005/2006 season spoiled lot of what being a Hearts fan is about (not that I would swap any of that season as there are so many wonderful memories) but prior to that I don't remember us being quite so demanding.

Sure, we all wanted Hearts to do well and a league challenge was something we hoped would happen rather than nowadays where there seems to group who seem to have come to expect this. A new manager coming in trying to introduce a new style would be greeted with a bit of excitement and as long as results were not shite they'd be granted some time.

We also do not have a divine right to win anything even cups, look at our history and take away the late 50s/early 60s in regards to cup success this generation has been relatively spoiled compared to other spells in the past. Our record in even getting to semi finals and finals is also abysmal when taking into account of a club of our stature, it's nothing new so I don't see how now suddenly people seem to think that is what should happen. By all means we should beat the likes of Falkirk, St Johnstone or Ayr United when we play them but in reality in one off games anything can happen and as is the case with Hearts it seems we get bittenon the arse more than most. That's why after the Ayr game everybody was disappointed I'm sure ( sure as hell I was) but after that initial disappointment the first thing I thought was "typical Hearts" and to me that's what makes being a Hearts fan great, we get kicked in the teeth so many times but it just means when the good times come (and they will come eventually, which is something I am sure of) it just makes it all the more sweeter

This isn't me trying to stifle debate, say other peoples opinions are wrong (I may say it in other threads when caught up in a debate but unless you are an utter roaster I don't mean it) or even claim to be a better fan (I'm not) just a request that when you're not happy with the style of play or don't like the manager just think about what makes it good to be a Hearts fan and think the good times and cup win might be just around the corner, it'll make you feel better about things I promise

Well I hope that's a feel good message to start your Saturday and the post certainly went off on a tangent from where I started and im sure i'll get a few 'cring' comments but all I can say now is bring on St Johnstone

You could forgive most Hearts fans for getting carried away in the close season of 2005/06 when the signings were coming in and Burley was appointed. Quite rightly we were excited as that`s what it`s about.

But i still think too many couldn`t control themselves and thought VR had an endless pot of cash and the trend of his spending would continue.

VR was to blame for the charade later that season and into the 06/07 season but once you realised what he was about i think most level headed Hearts fans eased their outlook and expectations of how the club was heading.....but some were still expecting him to keep doing what he done that close season in 05.

I still think we are fortunate to have VR because he has still put in alot of money into the club to keep us going, but ultimately his meddling in 05/06 ruined any stability from that point......the only real time we looked like having stability was when he appointed JJ......

So, i wouldn`t say it(05/06) has spoiled me personally, i still believe in Hearts as i`ve always done and with VR i think we could still realise our dream. But i know we`ll never see the investment again as we did back then.

Archived