Standing Room - Return of the Terracing

colinmaroon

Apparently Celtic are carrying out a feasibility study on the possibilty of reintroducing standing room!!!

Not often I support that lot but I'm with them on this one!

Apparently Celtic are carrying out a feasibility study on the possibilty of reintroducing standing room!!!

Not often I support that lot but I'm with them on this one!

You & me both Colin!

I seriously doubt a standing section will ever be introduced to top flight clubs. If they did it would have to be in an area far away from the away support. It is much more difficult to identify trouble makers, coin throwers etc. in a standing/terracing than selected seats. Why do people want terracing back? Many areas these days are standing right now in many grounds especially in England. In the times I've been to Parkhead and Easter Road I've never sat down or told to sit down. All or many of the away supports in England especially all stand. I'm older these days, I prefer to sit.

I seriously doubt a standing section will ever be introduced to top flight clubs. If they did it would have to be in an area far away from the away support. It is much more difficult to identify trouble makers, coin throwers etc. in a standing/terracing than selected seats. Why do people want terracing back? Many areas these days are standing right now in many grounds especially in England. In the times I've been to Parkhead and Easter Road I've never sat down or told to sit down. All or many of the away supports in England especially all stand. I'm older these days, I prefer to sit.

When was the last time you were at Parkhead!?

Francis Albert

I remember a time when, on sunny days people used to sit on the old School End terracing and complain when people stood in front of them!

If terracing ever does return it will be far more controlled and lower density than in the old free-for all days and a lot of people are going to be very disappointed about how little difference it makes to the atmosphere.

If European clubs can do it then I don't see why we can't either.

If it ever did happen again, and that's a big if, then it would be a completely different set up to the old 'herd them into their pen' scenario pre-1994.

But there's no reason why it shouldn't happen within modern stadia.

Surely it would contribute to the atmosphere as well? Got to hope this happens for the good of the game itself if nothing else!

there was someone on sky sports a while back who had made terracing that was stronger and it met uefa regulation cause they had seats on it you tucked the seating away for league and cup games and if you had a european game you brought the seats down looked like a good idea terracing will come back in to football soon

I remember a time when, on sunny days people used to sit on the old School End terracing and complain when people stood in front of them!

If terracing ever does return it will be far more controlled and lower density than in the old free-for all days and a lot of people are going to be very disappointed about how little difference it makes to the atmosphere.

Strange irony but i remember that as well.Not often mind,more in the first division days.I also agree about the change in atmosphere esp at Tynecastle.Lets be honest here,if its not a big game or cup or Euro,the atmosphere can be ordinary....just like it was on the school end terracing on many a Saturday.Making a section standing,while welcome,won't make much of a difference imo.Still,a yes for me!

The police and politicians will never allow a return to terracing in any form in the UK.

All seater stadia work and have proven to reduce trouble inside grounds as people causing trouble can't hide inside a crowd, and as said above are easier to spot on security cameras.

At the end of the day, the police and politicians will have the final say.

Can you imagine an old firm game with a terraced section at Parkhead? No chance will Stratclyde Police allow that to happen.

If European clubs can do it then I don't see why we can't either.

If it ever did happen again, and that's a big if, then it would be a completely different set up to the old 'herd them into their pen' scenario pre-1994.

But there's no reason why it shouldn't happen within modern stadia.

I agree. Works fine in Germany but it is a different experience standing in your designated space as opposed to the old terracing experience.

IMG_0939.JPG

The police and politicians will never allow a return to terracing in any form in the UK.

All seater stadia work and have proven to reduce trouble inside grounds as people causing trouble can't hide inside a crowd, and as said above are easier to spot on security cameras.

At the end of the day, the police and politicians will have the final say.

Can you imagine an old firm game with a terraced section at Parkhead? No chance will Stratclyde Police allow that to happen.

They stand already. People arent talking about old style terracing, its the modern version which has basically horizontal corridors along the stand.

No objection to standing, as long as it's behind me.

Or the knob end in the upper section of WHL who told me to sit down even though everyone else around us was standing.

As cool as the return of terracing would be, I would rather see a campaign for the reduction of ticket prices.

At the end of the day, 5000 fans standing is just as bad as 5000 sitting.

The stadium in Gelsenkirchen has it.

I went to watch Schalke v Chelsea then took in Schalke v Hamburg.

Amazing stadium.

Sat and stood, more importantly you can stand in the terrace with a beer!

take the seats out the enclosure and make the standing sections there like they were in the past. All you need is a small fence to keep the dafties from jumping onto the pitch.

take the seats out the enclosure and make the standing sections there like they were in the past. All you need is a small fence to keep the dafties from jumping onto the pitch.

And that would be more secure than at present!

I think you you could bring it back but make it the gorgie road end.. then just put barriers right along every row so nobody could jump from row to row and cause accidents.. also those fans would probably be those from Sections G & N so keeping them as far away from the away fans would probably help with crowd control..

The current family season tickets could be moved to either the old stand where i remember it used to be long ago.. i remember the family section being section N actually when i was young.. either that or they could put some of them in Sections A & B.. people who currently sit there would obviously have to move but you aren't going to please everyone..

As cool as the return of terracing would be, I would rather see a campaign for the reduction of ticket prices.

At the end of the day, 5000 fans standing is just as bad as 5000 sitting.

Maybe terracing would see a reduction in prices for those areas. Plus better atmospheres add to peoples experience and in turn will encourage more fans to come along.

I would absolutely LOVE terracing to return

Craig Herbertson

You just feel there must some option of cheap standing tickets for a designated section of the ground. How many people don't go anymore that would if you could just buy a cheap ticket and walk in? Must be getting old but even some of those dreadful games in the 70's seemed more atmospheric.

I agree. Works fine in Germany but it is a different experience standing in your designated space as opposed to the old terracing experience.

Designated space? At weirder Bremen I never got a designated space you just squeezed in to a row, amazing experience, no way you could of got crushed as there was a bar directly behind and in front.

Designated space? At weirder Bremen I never got a designated space you just squeezed in to a row, amazing experience, no way you could of got crushed as there was a bar directly behind and in front.

My friends are season ticket holders at Hannover 96 and when I've been with them you have a designated space. However there is no enforcement.

I was at the Allianz Arena a year or two ago (& going again next Sunday :)) they have a section behind the goal which is designated for standing. Don't think there was set spaces for people though. Anyway, that section looked amazing and the atmosphere was great, I don't see any reason that a similar thing couldn't be introduced in Scotland.

Football fans must be the only people in the world who are campaigning to downgrade their facilities.

Modern grounds are too steep to use as terracing as the new stands at the grounds were built at an angle to suit the seats.You really want to go back to the old tannadice?

Too many misty recollections of the terracing days on this board. Time moves on and the lack of atmosphere is due to the lack of excitement and a change in culture rather than just the seats.

The 4-4 game and the Aberdeen "champions league" night proved that the old ground can still rock even with seats.

Football fans must be the only people in the world who are campaigning to downgrade their facilities.

Modern grounds are too steep to use as terracing as the new stands at the grounds were built at an angle to suit the seats.You really want to go back to the old tannadice?

Too many misty recollections of the terracing days on this board. Time moves on and the lack of atmosphere is due to the lack of excitement and a change in culture rather than just the seats.

The 4-4 game and the Aberdeen "champions league" night proved that the old ground can still rock even with seats.

Disagree.

Standing, watching a game isn't viewed as a "downgrade" by those who don't want to sit. It's the same as going to a pub. Some people like to stand, some like to sit.

Surely having a choice (within a safe environment) is a progression?

As already stated on this thread, it's perfectly reasonable to stand at modern German stadia that can accommodate both standing and sitting.

P.S I loved the tannadice terracing, 'TSB' corners et al.

I am with them all the way.

We need to take a stand, on bringing back standing.

I think we should fill in the corners of the current stadium with covered terracing, and produce financial incentives for fans to do a bouncy and have crash barriers which allow for the fans to 'sway with safety'.

My Dad took me to Anfield as a wee boy in 1985 and I spent the whole game watching the Spion Kop in action. I know the reason why standing was removed from football, but it should be the be all and end all. Times change, stadiums improve and risks fall.

Bring it back.

Deodato

Radioactive Mince

Appreciate the sentiments expressed and happen to agree, Deodato, but Hearts cannot fill in the corners of Tynecastle without altering the design of the roof supports. Very expensive to the point of insanity. Actually, maybe Romanov would be all for it?

Appreciate the sentiments expressed and happen to agree, Deodato, but Hearts cannot fill in the corners of Tynecastle without altering the design of the roof supports. Very expensive to the point of insanity. Actually, maybe Romanov would be all for it?

Theoretically, the lower rows of current stands (those beneath the concourse) would be perfect for a standing section, with perhaps two standing spaces being allocated for every seat removed, with a lean barrier bolted to the edge of each row.

Such a scenario would mirror what happens in Germany.

...but I am fairly certain this would never be allowed to happen. 'elfin safety' etc

Guest C00l K1d

2 people can stand in the space of 1 seated, basic stadium design school thought by Archibald Leitch.

We hardly sell out though so this isn't really a factor

We hardly sell out though so this isn't really a factor

It may be when designing the new stand or stadium...............................

scots civil war

The 4-4 game and the Aberdeen "champions league" night proved that the old ground can still rock even with seats.........

that was ******* years ago mate,have a word with yourself

will this jock government take this situation into their own hands and bring it all back? alex salmon implies he and his nation lead the way in forward thinking...... i hope so and i believe they have the power to do this as the taylor report only covered england and wales...

the game is in critical state up here....everytime one witnesses a game on tv,its boring instantly....the game here is not dying on its feet,its dying in its cramped,big brothered seat

punters sitting down in tight spaces,weather not so good sometimes,no atmosphere,**** all in fact

bring the atmos back on a consistent basis,bring back the terracing and seperate us from the sweetie rustlers

Archived