Ayr United -- we must utilise squad

CJGJ

To support the team, more than likely.

But the competition as a whole has little impact on my definations of a successful season.

I know there has been thread upon thread in bygone days about the LC, but what does define a successful season for Hearts taking into consideration our history and record of trophy winning?

Our quest to be league champions may or may never happen but it`s certainly the hardest task out of all. So, what if we fall away well out of league contention again? Third it is, is all that is left in terms of the league.....whoppee do......i`ll take it, but it`s an achievement that should be a basic for Hearts....so no real landmark gain there.

The point is, i want my team to be winners. Get into the habit of winning.

Winning trophies regularly sets a standard at your club. The way people look at your club, prospective signings, rival fans etc....would see a club they fear or want to play for.

How shi te was it before 1998 when every non-Hearts fan kept reminding you how long it had been since you won a trophy? The longer it went Hearts were losing a bit respect and prestige.

Part of my point is that if we choose to continue to treat the cups as second rate, year after year, because we think we can win the league....and we don`t....it just gives other smaller clubs than us a chance to win them.....i detest the thought of that.

Sexton Hardcastle

I know there has been thread upon thread in bygone days about the LC, but what does define a successful season for Hearts taking into consideration our history and record of trophy winning?

Our quest to be league champions may or may never happen but it`s certainly the hardest task out of all. So, what if we fall away well out of league contention again? Third it is, is all that is left in terms of the league.....whoppee do......i`ll take it, but it`s an achievement that should be a basic for Hearts....so no real landmark gain there.

The point is, i want my team to be winners. Get into the habit of winning.

Winning trophies regularly sets a standard at your club. The way people look at your club, prospective signings, rival fans etc....would see a club they fear or want to play for.

How shi te was it before 1998 when every non-Hearts fan kept reminding you how long it had been since you won a trophy? The longer it went Hearts were losing a bit respect and prestige.

Part of my point is that if we choose to continue to treat the cups as second rate, year after year, because we think we can win the league....and we don`t....it just gives other smaller clubs than us a chance to win them.....i detest the thought of that.

I understand what your saying but it terms of recognition, the league cup is zip.

If the League cup had some decent prize or value on offer it would be worth competing for. I think along with the reconstruction of the SPL/SFL they should seriously consider a new format for this competition.

Something like the Portguese version would suit us well. Group stages then knockouts. Possibly even regional. Give the small teams a couple of glamour games. Bleed the youngsters and then focus on it more depending how the league campaign runs. Especially if they arent interested in bring the reserve league back.

I wouldn't field reserves and youngsters but

Drop anybody who picked up even the slightest knock against Saint Mirren.

Promote anybody who's being kept out of the usual team by a player only marginally stronger than them. The ones who are already on the fringes of selection as opposed to just being cover as they'll be hungrier, in a minor fixture, than the people who are keeping them out the first team.

And if we can't beat Ayr without deploying all our firepower then we should probably avoid talking about the competition as winnable.

I quite like IMA Maroon's selection

Francis Albert

I understand what your saying but it terms of recognition, the league cup is zip.

If the League cup had some decent prize or value on offer it would be worth competing for. I think along with the reconstruction of the SPL/SFL they should seriously consider a new format for this competition.

Something like the Portguese version would suit us well. Group stages then knockouts. Possibly even regional. Give the small teams a couple of glamour games. Bleed the youngsters and then focus on it more depending how the league campaign runs. Especially if they arent interested in bring the reserve league back.

I've read that the celebrations in 1954 surpassed even those in 1956,

I would recognise it,

As for "decent prize or value", short of us winning the Champions League, what do you have in mind?

A trophy is a trophy, winning cup finals is something special.

The only difference between this and the Scottish is an invite to be pumped in Europe.

The club should aim to win cups and qualify for Europe. The main aim should be 3rd. The main aim cup wise is the Scpttish cup, but tbh I'd take the league cup any day we could. It'd be a big party as we've not won it since 63. To build up momentum and a winning mentality you need to be getting far into these conpetitions year on year. We should be winning more cups before we aim to win a league. Success is success, be good for another parade on the bus and get some silver ware in the cabinet.

Francis Albert

The club should aim to win cups and qualify for Europe. The main aim should be 3rd. The main aim cup wise is the Scpttish cup, but tbh I'd take the league cup any day we could. It'd be a big party as we've not won it since 63. To build up momentum and a winning mentality you need to be getting far into these conpetitions year on year. We should be winning more cups before we aim to win a league. Success is success, be good for another parade on the bus and get some silver ware in the cabinet.

To be picky, 62.

Which means that if we fail to win the league cup this year we will for the first time in our history go more than 50 years without winning a (particular) domestic cup competition.

We rightly laugh at Hibs big cup record, but our wee cup record is pretty embarrassing.

(And I'd much rather win a trophy than finish 3rd.)

The League Cup is one of two trophies Hearts can win.

Cant understand why so many Hearts fans think we're too good for the League cup.

It must be all those Scottish cups they have seen us win in their lifetime.

All 2 of them. Amazing scenes.

To be honest the Scottish Cups a diddy tournament as well so shove that one up your bollocks.

Despite that, trophies = success. We need to start winning some trophies :sob:

Sexton Hardcastle

A trophy is a trophy, winning cup finals is something special.

The only difference between this and the Scottish is an invite to be pumped in Europe.

0,,10289~394777,00.jpg

Guest Bilel Mohsni

If you read the thread title in a Dalek voice it becomes even more fun to read! :D

I have been a wee bit disappointed not to see McGowan, Temps, Smith and Rudi start a game since their encouraging displays v Spurs in the second leg, looking forward to a few of them potentially being included the night. Could be a masterstroke if they are champing at the bit to try and impress PS. :)

I would love us to win the League Cup. Probably our best chance of a trophy.

Couldn't agree more.

Big team wee cup...

Wee team nae cup!

It has a ring to it.

Mcdonald

McGowan

Jonsson

Zal

Grainger

Temps

Robinson

Mehdi

Skacel

Sutton

Smith

Subs: Balogh, Barr, Mroweic, Novikovas, Elliot

It goes down in your club`s history, it`s marked in the trophy winning column and puts you even further ahead of your rivals.

That`s what it`s all about. The recognition is winning the competition. Not what you get after, thats why competitions were set-up so we could all play to win......

On the street as fans it`s about oneupmanship. Nobody goes... "we played in europe" ... but saying to your rival fans "we WON a trophy" ...that means something and always will.......

Archived