The 1st team have failed us, we want to see the youths

IMA MAROON

Should we give the kids a chance?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we give the kids a chance?

• Yes
    • No

We are bottom 6 now and the games are meaningless.

Frail wants us to win our remaining games, as do we all, but now we have nothing to play for I'd much prefer we tried to do so with our under-19's.

What do you think?

Hearts Heritage

Probably no. We don't have the 'senior' pros or management structure that were around in 1981 to 1986 era to help the young players. Robbo is on record that he was helped so much by Jimmy Bone. Likewise Sandy Jardine in defence and Alex McDonald, Willie Johnson in the middle.

Just throwing a bunch of kids in with no direction won't help them or Hearts.

Toxteth O'Grady

Frail wants us to win our remaining games, as do we all, but now we have nothing to play for I'd much prefer we tried to do so with our under-19's.

What do you think?

They play at Home games at Riccarton at 11 am on Saturdays.

If you want to see them thats the place.

I've seen them a fair bit and I can't think of many that would do well in the first team at this stage.

There is nothing to lose by playing them but just don't expect anything great

Charlie-Brown
Probably no. We don't have the 'senior' pros or management structure that were around in 1981 to 1986 era to help the young players. Robbo is on record that he was helped so much by Jimmy Bone. Likewise Sandy Jardine in defence and Alex McDonald, Willie Johnson in the middle.

Whilst your point is generally correct - it was only really true from 1982-83 onwards - prior to that both Bowman & Mackay played in a significant number of first team games when the set up was far from perfect and the team suffered some horrendous results in seasons 1980-81 and 1981-82 - long term that experience didn't do them any harm and playing in the 1st team from 16-17 years old meant that they had become quite experienced players by the time they were 20-21, both went on to become strong characters in the SPL.

JamboBazualdo

I'd love to see a couple of them in there just to give them 1st team experience, but can see the remaining few games being used as a shop window for players who will be sold on in the summer!

Buffalo Bill

I'd like to see 11 players trying.

If that means Glen, Mcgowan, Rapnik etc then fine by me.

Buffalo Bill

Drew Busby !

I'm fed up with the often fearful reaction to bringing in some young guys, a fear thats shared by Frail it seems as well as many on this board.

Whilst I take the point there is no evidence to suggest that they will receive any worthwhile support from the coaches and management should they get a run out, they WILL however receive the indulgence of 90% of the fans.

If we can't give some of these guys a try-out NOW in these MEANINGLESS 5 GAMES, then we'll never be able to do so. It has to be NOW.

Apart from anything else it's the only way to maintain fans interest through to May. My biggest fear is that Frailanov will stick with the tried and tested failures of the current 1st team and 4-5-1 in a desperate attempt to "win the bottom-6". Expect a quick and mass departure for the exits in the first home game of the bottom 6 if he tries to persevere with this failing turgid sh|t.

peebles jambo

who was it that said, about man u, you'll never win anything with kids, when he brought in the likes of giggs and scoles, the time has come to give some of them a shot, they can't do any worse than some of our "first team" regulars

I would agree with DBs asertion that NOW is the time.

If they don't blood new players when there is nothing to play for then not only is our first team a busted flush then so is our reserve/ youth system.

I would however urge caution. When Gary Glen came on yesterday I saw nothing about him which would make me optomistic about his future prospects.

Gigolo-Aunt

Playing the young players is on the assumption that they are capable and ready for first team duty.

Have no idea if there is any as I dont watch any of the younger age groups.

Playing young players who are not ready will do them more harm than good.

The structure is all wrong at the moment. We should have young guys playing regularly in the reserves, getting to play against some older, more experienced players and blooding them that way. Because of this ludicrous squad that Romanov has put together the young guys play most of their football in U19s and the reserves are full of guff that can't make the first team. Unlikely that we are going to progress young talent on a regular basis until a system is set up to do precisely that.

The cruckie cookie

Don't think the young ones would like to be blooded in a team that's not doing so well at the moment.

The time to bring in the kids is in a team that has confidence and is on the up. To do anything else would only damage the kids rather than enhancing their abilities.

Ryan Gosling
I would agree with DBs asertion that NOW is the time.

If they don't blood new players when there is nothing to play for then not only is our first team a busted flush then so is our reserve/ youth system.

I would however urge caution. When Gary Glen came on yesterday I saw nothing about him which would make me optomistic about his future prospects.

Well we should just release him then.

Not all of them at the same time - but blood some to give them experience. Don't expect a lot in the first game or two, but give them the experience so they'll be more comfortable when it matters.

Well we should just release him then.

That's not what I am saying.

I'm urging caution on those that think our young players can offer us salvation.

In Glens case, when a young player comes on I am at least looking for youthful exuberance if nothing else.

If I was to compare him to the first time I saw Eggart, for example, then IMO he fell short of what is required.

I'm not writing him off after one substitutes appearance, I just felt he didn't bring anything to the team when he came on.

I am willing to admit I maybe am being harsh as he was brought into a team that was not playing well.

Charlie-Brown

It's all about expectation and timing - if the kids are ready or close to being ready then we should play them and win, lose or draw, realise that they are making their baby steps in the first team - they might be good or they might be worse than the senior players to begin with but they are only finding their feet.

We have an opportunity of giving them 4 or 5 games when their should be no real pressure from fans and only encouragement.

Yes, but only the ones that are close to the first team. It is a waste of time throwing in a few of them who aren't even ready for the reserves level. It would damage them and in the future it will damage us (the club).

Gives us a reason to go along. Going to be boring otherwise.

There is no point in carrying on with our so-called first team.

They have utterly failed us this season.

With NOTHING left to play for (Gretna are gone and our pride went long ago), why not put out the reserves/U19s?

Give Makela a go up front with Branny or Glen.

Let's see Rapnik, McGowan, Wagner.

willie wallace

I have seen the u/19s a few times this season and with possibly one or two exceptions would be very wary of playing them just because they are youngsters.Lets play them if they merit a place in the team. I thought Gary Glen looked a bit lost yesterday but then again so did everyone else.

It would seem a sensible idea to throw youngsters in but the problem is that the fabled Hearts youth setup really isn't all that and there are really only 1 or 2 players (at the most) who are anywhere near 1st team SPL level (however bad that maybe). It is likely to be a real eye opener (and not a happy one) for many of our fans as to just were we are at if we were to throw 5 or 6 in as they simply don't have the quality.

We may however get some effort from them and even that would be an improvement of the current imposters.

David McCaig

The only thing that can make this season worthwhile is the potential legacy of 2 or 3 youngsters making the step up.

That said the onus is really on ourselves as a support to provide a positive atmosphere in the remaining 5 games.

The youngsters WILL make mistakes, Gary Glen WILL miss chances, but the important thing is that they learn and have the opportunity to learn.

Lets hope that from the wreckage of 2007/2008 we will see the shoots of recovery for 2008/2009 and many years beyond.

The reserves and U19's are just as bad as the first team it would be pretty pointless to play them IMO. The whole clubon the footballing side is pathetic from top to bottom.

WeeToonJambo
The structure is all wrong at the moment. We should have young guys playing regularly in the reserves, getting to play against some older, more experienced players and blooding them that way. Because of this ludicrous squad that Romanov has put together the young guys play most of their football in U19s and the reserves are full of guff that can't make the first team. Unlikely that we are going to progress young talent on a regular basis until a system is set up to do precisely that.

The reserve team that played against Killie on Tuesday had 9 of the under 19s in the starting 11 and the subs were all under 19s as well. I think, and of course I could be totally wrong, this was a change in direction as the guff, as you call them, were nowhere to be seen.

Charlie-Brown
The reserve team that played against Killie on Tuesday had 9 of the under 19s in the starting 11 and the subs were all under 19s as well. I think, and of course I could be totally wrong, this was a change in direction as the guff, as you call them, were nowhere to be seen.

And yesterdays U19 team had 7 or 8 eligible U17's in the line up.

And yesterdays U19 team had 7 or 8 eligible U17's in the line up.

But what does that prove ? It tells us nothing about their ability.

The reserves and U19's are just as bad as the first team it would be pretty pointless to play them IMO. The whole clubon the footballing side is pathetic from top to bottom.

You'd better watch it.

People get put on the transfer list or dropped for such heretic statements.

Do you really want to be play on thehuddleboard or be sidelined for a few weeks??;)

Ryan Gosling

What do you mean the U19s are 'just as bad as the first team' ?

League positions don't really mean a lot, and most of the U19 team from the last few weeks are U17 (who have won 15 and lost 1 of 16 I think).

Charlie-Brown
But what does that prove ? It tells us nothing about their ability.

Okay - well there is a match thread with more details about the game but it shows that some of our 16 & 17 year olds are capable and considered good enough to play against older & bigger kids in the U19 league.

Ryan Gosling
Okay - well there is a match thread with more details about the game but it shows that some of our 16 & 17 year olds are capable and considered good enough to play against older & bigger kids in the U19 league.

And a 15 year old up front. And a 14 year old on the bench.

blondejamtart
I'd like to see 11 players trying.

If that means Glen, Mcgowan, Rapnik etc then fine by me.

Buffalo Bill

And so would I! To be honest, yes, I'd like to see some of the younger players getting a run-out, but at the end of the day, that's all I want - to see 11 players in maroon on the pitch giving it their all for the whole of the game!

What do you mean the U19s are 'just as bad as the first team' ?

League positions don't really mean a lot, and most of the U19 team from the last few weeks are U17 (who have won 15 and lost 1 of 16 I think).

The performances of the reserves and the U19's mirror that of the first team is what i mean. I think both the results and league table show that regardless if you think it means something or not.

Why are we having to move younger kids up a age group ?

Charlie-Brown
The performances of the reserves and the U19's mirror that of the first team is what i mean. I think both the results and league table show that regardless if you think it means something or not.

Glen, McGowan, Husband were away with the first team, McCusker & Templeton went out on loan to get 1st team experience, Hamilton, Visconte, Kelly, Michetschlager & some others are injured - Copil ran away.

Glen, McGowan, Husband were away with the first team, McCusker & Templeton went out on loan to get 1st team experience, Hamilton, Visconte, Kelly, Michetschlager & some others are injured - Copil ran away.

Yep, it's a well oiled machine churning out top drawer talent season after season.

Ryan Gosling

The reserves have had Makela, Beniusis, Pospisil, Kancelskis, Kurskis, Pilibaitis, Ivaskevicius and Basso in it for most weeks this season. That's why we've had bad results. The U19s performances don't mirror the first team at all. They play football for a start.

The reserves have had Makela, Beniusis, Pospisil, Kancelskis, Kurskis, Pilibaitis, Ivaskevicius and Basso in it for most weeks this season. That's why we've had bad results. The U19s performances don't mirror the first team at all. They play football for a start.

The reserves have won 1 of their last 6 games. The U19's have lost their last 2 and won 3 in the last 7. Your right nothing like the first team they are worse. :rolleyes:

Ryan Gosling
The reserves have won 1 of their last 6 games. The U19's have lost their last 2 and won 3 in the last 7. Your right nothing like the first team they are worse. :rolleyes:

The U19s didn't lose yesterday. Sorry to disappoint you.

It's a disgrace that a Hearts team with a 15 year old and 16 year old up front couldn't beat a Hibs team with 4 19 year olds at the back.

Wage thieves, the lot of them.

The U19s didn't lose yesterday. Sorry to disappoint you.

It's a disgrace that a Hearts team with a 15 year old and 16 year old up front couldn't beat a Hibs team with 4 19 year olds at the back.

Wage thieves, the lot of them.

Why would i be disappointed ?

All i said was the reserves and U19's results mirror that of the first team. You disagree despite results showing otherwise. Proved wrong you then resort to your usual bollox. At no stage did i say it was a disgrace that we couldn't beat hibs or they were wage thieves.

you seem to think it is great we have 15/16 year old kids playing for the U19's to me it suggests we are lacking in quality elsewhere so we are playing younger players too early.

Ryan Gosling
Why would i be disappointed ?

All i said was the reserves and U19's results mirror that of the first team. You disagree despite results showing otherwise. Proved wrong you then resort to your usual bollox. At no stage did i say it was a disgrace that we couldn't beat hibs or they were wage thieves.

you seem to think it is great we have 15/16 year old kids playing for the U19's to me it suggest we are lacking in quality elsewhere so we are playing younger players to early.

I never disputed the reserves mirrored the first team. They're much worse than that.

I don't think it's (wholly) great to have a 15 year old playing but the youth players we have are either too old (Sives, Thomson etc.), out on loan (Templeton, McCusker), AWOL (Copil), away with the first team (McGowan, Glen, Husband - I'm sure you agree this is a good thing) or injured/ill (Bjornsson, Visconte, Hamilton, Kelly).

alwaysthereinspirit

Vlad failed us. A high % of the players who played this season should never have seen the first team.

Throwing in a bunch of untried kids isn't fair to them.

Leave the players who got us here in the team and dig Vlads and their own graves.

I never disputed the reserves mirrored the first team. They're much worse than that.

I don't think it's (wholly) great to have a 15 year old playing but the youth players we have are either too old (Sives, Thomson etc.), out on loan (Templeton, McCusker), AWOL (Copil), away with the first team (McGowan, Glen, Husband - I'm sure you agree this is a good thing) or injured/ill (Bjornsson, Visconte, Hamilton, Kelly).

Having young players involved with the first team is good as long as they are actually getting involved. We have waited far too long IMO to give those mentioned a game. we need to find out if they are good enough and sitting on the bench every week is doing nothing for them. At the same time we seem to have moved to many youngster up a level before their time. It is fine have the odd youngster moving up but having half your team moved up won't do us or them any favours.

to me it suggests we are lacking in quality elsewhere so we are playing younger players too early.

I agree. It suggests that the whole structure is shambolic and everything is done on a wing and a prayer with absolutely no plan in place for individuals or teams as a whole. Hardly surprising mind you given we are run by a group of fandans.

I agree. It suggests that the whole structure is shambolic and everything is done on a wing and a prayer with absolutely no plan in place for individuals or teams as a whole. Hardly surprising mind you given we are run by a group of fandans.

Thats what i meant with my pathetic comment earlier. I am not blaming the players but i think there is something seriously wrong with the structure of the club.

What do you think?

without a manager in charge i fear the kids will be harmed just like our players in the first team.

Ryan Gosling
Thats what i meant with my pathetic comment earlier. I am not blaming the players but i think there is something seriously wrong with the structure of the club.

The lack of structure is down to the sheer number of over-age players with long term deals, combined with mediocre squad players. I can guarantee you though, Darren Murray's strongest U19 team would not have any of the U17 players in it.

The Mighty Thor
Vlad failed us. A high % of the players who played this season should never have seen the first team.

Throwing in a bunch of untried kids isn't fair to them.

Leave the players who got us here in the team and dig Vlads and their own graves.

I couldn't agree more.

There's nothing to be gained by destroying the confidence of a bunch of kids when they have to fit into a ridiculous tactical system for a puppet manager who apparently selects guys that wouldn't hold their own in the first division, of his own free will.

Furthermore given the standard of coaching at Tynecastle/Ricarton these days are any of the kids up to scratch?

Archived