John Sutton

vegas-voss

Absolute dire.I don't know if it's the formation or what but the guy is really struggling.Even in the box from corners and freekicks he is nowhere near the play.It's early days so hopefully it will improve but having him stuck up there on his own can't be helping.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had no help at Ibrox dont know about today wasnt there but when KK returns Sutton will come good

Drylaw Hearts

Absolute dire.I don't know if it's the formation or what but the guy is really struggling.Even in the box from corners and freekicks he is nowhere near the play.It's early days so hopefully it will improve but having him stuck up there on his own can't be helping.

?

He wasn't on his own today.

However....

He has been disappointing so far imo.

He didn't get much service, but he wasn't getting into the positions in the first place which is something that he'll have to work on. He wasn't close enough to his man when going for balls, and seemed to be a second or two behind the play all game.

mattyw_1874

He had Elliott then Rudi. No excuse. This aint Motherwell any more. Yes he needs a little bit of time but he has to buck up his ideas soon or he will be out the team.

rudi must stay

He looked afraid to attack the ball, which is a shame because his height could cause teams problems.

Put in a very half-hearted display. He may not be used to the best of his ability by JJ, but that's no excuse whatsoever for a lack of effort.

Seems incapable of winning a header. Seemed ok whenever he got the ball to feet but he certainly can't be regarded as a like for like replacement for Kyle.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

He offered zero today.

Elliott's misses were appalling, but at least he got himself into positions were he had opportunities.

Sutton looked out of his depth, I have to say. Hope he can come good.

Zaliukas was dreadful.

He wasused to playing with more attacking players at Motherwell. Our lot are pretty lazy but he needs someone alongside him, thought Elliott would've helped him out but for me, there was something not right in that midfield from kick-off. Ihave never rated Mrowiec so maybe they should've played Stevenson in there to add that wee bit more urgency, Mrowiec's pish and always has been.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Feeling a bit sorry for Sutton. He's not an out and out target man and we can't punt the ball up to him for 90 minutes because it won't get us anywhere. We need to get the wingers to run to the byline and cross it in from there, that's his game and he will get goals if we do this. Jefferies seemed to realise this by bringing on Novikovas and Skacel and trying to get the team to play the ball down the line a bit more, but then if he's going to take Sutton off 5 minutes later then there's no point making the original substitutions in the first place.

Feeling a bit sorry for Sutton. He's not an out and out target man and we can't punt the ball up to him for 90 minutes because it won't get us anywhere. We need to get the wingers to run to the byline and cross it in from there, that's his game and he will get goals if we do this. Jefferies seemed to realise this by bringing on Novikovas and Skacel and trying to get the team to play the ball down the line a bit more, but then if he's going to take Sutton off 5 minutes later then there's no point making the original substitutions in the first place.

Absolutely spot on. He thrives on good crosses not balls lumped up to him. Pointless against Kenneth

Thread title should read;

John Sutton got no service.

Guys a player. No doubt. Don't think he deserved to be singled out today.

Johanes de Silentio

He's a ball to feet player.

Totally ruined by hoofball. He's not KK.

Correct on all three points, imo.

Gary Kenneth, who played well today, had him in his back pocket. Too many hopeful punts to Sutton. I'm optimistic that he will get better though.

Auld Reekin'

The service he got today was superb. He should have had a hatrick

:isee:

(He was pish though...)

:isee:

(He was pish though...)

Strikers need service, he got....... none. To single him out as pish is incredible and a typical kickback drama queen over reaction.

Agreed.

I was disappointed when he was subbed off at that point, and although he wasn't really in the game, thought he still might have scored. I was more disappointed in Elliott's performance. He seemed to lack movement, and missed a few chances.

Dagger Is Back

The service to him today was pretty poor as he is certainly no KK. That having been said his own movement was very poor. He did seem heavy legged and off the pace. Seemed to be a second or two late in terms of reaction and nd as far as being in the right place at the right time...

Stevenson showed more attitude and determination in 5 minutes. Far too early to write the guy off but that certainly won't feature as his best performance in a Hearts jersey.

The Mighty JTs

He does not look fit, hardly got off the ground once and looked heavy legged.

Completely agree with that and Gary (chunter) Kennith had him in his back pocket for what must have been the easiest game of his career

I'm certainly not righting him off and as I said in my opening post the guy needs help and keeping him stuck up there on his own isn't going to do his confidence any good.Maybe all it will take is that first goal but I still thought he was dire today.

Dagger Is Back

Agreed.

I was disappointed when he was subbed off at that point, and although he wasn't really in the game, thought he still might have scored. I was more disappointed in Elliott's performance. He seemed to lack movement, and missed a few chances.

Shows you how people see games differently. I though Elliot was doing most of the running for the front two. JJ says that Elliot has been on fire in training. Would have to ask what exactly is he doing to earn those plaudits coz I haven't really seen it since he arrived.

He ain't a natural finisher that's certain.

we can all agree on 1 thing this 442 formation didnt work sutton didnt get any service give him a chance he is just settling in

we can all agree on 1 thing this 442 formation didnt work sutton didnt get any service give him a chance he is just settling in

Did we play 4-4-2.I thought it was more 4-2-3-1

Rudi was on one minute and he'd set up Sutton with a close chance.

Sutton needs service and got none

Early days but he looks immobile and one-paced.

His brother had the footballing nous but does John? Perhaps he will get better when our other players work out what sort of service he wants.

fabienleclerq

The 442 didnt seem as straight forward as 442 should in the first half there was no width especially on the right, mcgown didnt get forward and black had to move out there and utd found it easy to cover.

Sutton was poor, for a 6 foot plus player he doesn't win headers and if he aint a target man then his positioning is poor.

and he looks unfit.

JJ took too long to give us width, it was obvious in the first half but no change till midway second.

Having said that i thought we were the slightly better team today they just got the goal.

And their fans were better than ours!!

from my angle it was a 442 with temps ocassionally going up beside sutton and elliott

fabienleclerq

Seemed to me it was 4-2-2-2

Complaining about a player like Sutton after 90 minutes of Hearts players punting the ball from the back or playing absolutely shyte passes around midfield shows how utterly stupid some fans are.

The 442 didnt seem as straight forward as 442 should in the first half there was no width especially on the right, mcgown didnt get forward and black had to move out there and utd found it easy to cover.

Sutton was poor, for a 6 foot plus player he doesn't win headers and if he aint a target man then his positioning is poor.

and he looks unfit.

JJ took too long to give us width, it was obvious in the first half but no change till midway second.

Having said that i thought we were the slightly better team today they just got the goal.

And their fans were better than ours!!

i agree that jj took way too long to make the sub the game was crying out for width i actually think if we had brought novi and rudi on 10 min earlier we would have a least got a point

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

He has got the ability. Needs to play with another striker to get the best out of him.

He has got the ability. Needs to play with another striker to get the best out of him.

He was playing with Elliott today :unsure:

Strikers need service, he got....... none. To single him out as pish is incredible and a typical kickback drama queen over reaction.

Exactly! Every single ball came to his head. When was he given a chance to run with the ball? He wasn't!

But yes... he was pish!

We were ALL over them in the first half, but second half we were sh*te!

I PRAY Sutton comes good, but right now its looking horrendous!

fabienleclerq

i agree that jj took way too long to make the sub the game was crying out for width i actually think if we had brought novi and rudi on 10 min earlier we would have a least got a point

If he'd done it first half we would won IMO, i dont like to criticise jj but subs with 10/20 mins to go when its clear the system isnt working is poor.

Auld Reekin'

Thanks for that. :mellow:

Still thought he was pish today, and has looked equally pish in any of the games I have seen him play for us in so far.

That's not to let anyone else - our wingers and attacking midfielders, especially - off the hook. Most of the time, they've been pish as well, and have given him pish service where they've given him any at all. Equally, it's not to say that Sutton is a pish player: I know he's capable of playing a lot better than he has done so far for us.

But, as a long-suffering Hearts fan of many years, I reserve the right to decry pish where and when I see it. And Sutton, Zaliukas, Templeton (almost all of the time), Elliott, Novikovas (I know he was only on for a short period but - for that period - he was pish), and JJ's formation, tactics, and game-plan were all pish. :ninja:

Jonsson wasn't great either.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

He was playing with Elliott today :unsure:

My bad. Ignore my inane rambling...

but i agree with most posters here - needs better service. Hopefully Taouil will be deployed as a creative midfielder and create more; although i would prefer a new player brought in to create chances.

If he'd done it first half we would won IMO, i dont like to criticise jj but subs with 10/20 mins to go when its clear the system isnt working is poor.

i still believe in jj he can get it right in games but he can get it wrong today was just 1 of those days we also couldve had a couple of goals if elliott didnt miss those sitters it couldve been a completely diffrent conversation that we are having

fabienleclerq

i still believe in jj he can get it right in games but he can get it wrong today was just 1 of those days we also couldve had a couple of goals if elliott didnt miss those sitters it couldve been a completely diffrent conversation that we are having

Your right mate, we got beat so it's negative's that are coming out!

I think if that's utd's best then they're nothing to worry about,we were slightly better had better chances and had the euro hangover every team suffers

when returning.

Grainger was class, obua tried to play the ball on the deck and spread it, dissapointed to lose but it'll come together.

I think if that's utd's best then they're nothing to worry about,we were slightly better had better chances and had the euro hangover every team suffers

when returning.

Grainger was class, obua tried to play the ball on the deck and spread it, dissapointed to lose but it'll come together.

totally agree

when returning.

Don't know about that, Utd will be the main 3rd place challenger this season again, they have been pretty much the most consistant side outwith the oldfirm for about 4 seasons now, had we not went on that good run of form in the middle of last season then they would've finished 3rd quite comfortably. Was expecting them to be poorer this season with the players they've got rid off from last year but looks like they'll be our main threat again. The scouting and coaching must be better quality than we have at our place.

Utd moped up everything we threw at them today and this has become a regular thing these last few years against them, we always struggle against them.

Agree with most of the posts from 10 to about 20.

He is not Kevin Kyle. There is no point just humping long balls at him from the final third as that's not his game.

He likes to takes balls into his chest and lay them off, he likes running on to decent crosses, he's a good finisher.

How many decent crosses has he had to attack in his games for us so far ?

We need to play to his strengths not just lump it forward to him from the centre halfs. Fecking dreadful stuff.

He had no help at Ibrox dont know about today wasnt there but when KK returns Sutton will come good

When KK returns Sutton will be on the bench.

Agree with most of the posts from 10 to about 20.

He is not Kevin Kyle. There is no point just humping long balls at him from the final third as that's not his game.

He likes to takes balls into his chest and lay them off, he likes running on to decent crosses, he's a good finisher.

How many decent crosses has he had to attack in his games for us so far ?

We need to play to his strengths not just lump it forward to him from the centre halfs. Fecking dreadful stuff.

2 very good chances from excellent crosses against Paksi, one of which he barely touched and the other he put straight at the goalie with little conviction.

Not writing him off in any way - he may well come good. He was the signing I had most worry about though, while most seemed to be creaming themselves. Looking at his career, he's had a good half season. People were turning their noses up at the thought of Higdon, but there's no much difference in them.

He was signed by JJ mainly because he caused us problems when he played us and has always looked a handful. I think there have been worries so far that he isn't the player we thought we were signing. Hopefully he's just finding his feet. He has to do it fast.

Can't comment on today, but I was a little disappointed with him against Paksi and Rangers - especially second half when we needed him to lead the line for us.

No need to get on the lad's back though - lets give him time to get some form

peebles jambo

When KK returns Sutton will be on the bench.

not so sure about that, think he was better than elliot today, more likely elliot will be benchwarming

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

He's getting used like a target man and that doesn't suit his game. Just cos he's big doesn't mean he can deal with 70 yards balls lumped at his head for a whole game. Our wingers need to get to the byline and provide some decent service to him before he starts scoring.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Two games in and we're pissed off already. It normally takes until at least the start of September.

Archived