Gracemount...crime capital of Scotland !

Drew Busby !

Drew Busby !

...well, it seems like it today anyway :confused:

Today: 6 years for the nutter from Captains Road

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Man-gets-six-years-for.3885589.jp

Today: 17 years for the psycho from Captains Drive

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Knife-thug-jailed-for-17.3885732.jp

Last year: the Captains Cabin murder (ok , the rebranded "Marmion")

http://news.scotsman.com/marmionpubshooting/Man-jailed-for-pub-killing.3326255.jp

Christ, my wife grew up in *precisely* that area, or "hood" as it should perhaps be referred to now. Suddenly it doesn't seem like a good idea to get into any arguments with her about who burned the toast ! :eek:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again

I went through a spell when I hung about there in my youth. Coming from the Royal Mile it was an eye opener to see car loads of boys from neighbouring areas cruising round openly looking for Jimmy or Bob or whoever they were going to give a doing to.

It seemed to me there was a fight there every night.

I also got punched in the puss and my tooth chipped up there because 'I knew a guy who some boy had heard didnae like him' :confused:

2 days later I heard the guy that smacked me had been hospitalised by 'the guy who didnae like him'.

Nice place :sad:

I used to live in Gilmerton (the old village part).

I remember before we moved, seeing the iron mesh over the traffic lights.

Never ventured out in the local area much. All the bad stuff happened at night normally.

I actually loved it in that house. We had an open view across toward Mayfield & we had cows in the back garden from the dairy farm.

But we were encircled by Moredun, Gracemount, Southouse, Hyvots.

Lovely stuff!

Drew Busby !
I went through a spell when I hung about there in my youth. Coming from the Royal Mile it was an eye opener to see car loads of boys from neighbouring areas cruising round openly looking for Jimmy or Bob or whoever they were going to give a doing to.

It seemed to me there was a fight there every night.

I also got punched in the puss and my tooth chipped up there because 'I knew a guy who some boy had heard didnae like him' :confused:

2 days later I heard the guy that smacked me had been hospitalised by 'the guy who didnae like him'.

Nice place :sad:

I don't know if its an Edinburgh phemomenon but it seems like it sometimes. You cross the road from The Marmion and you're in middle-class semi-detached Gracemount. Then back to The Marmion and you're in a different world again.

I'm up there quite a lot because the in-laws live right in the middle of it. Was driving just past The Marmion last year and into "deepest Gracemount" when I went past a group of teens. I could tell straight away by the glance I got that something was going to happen. Sure enough, I just got past them and the back of the car was pelted with eggs. So I braked and wound the window down, and they walked past the car looking at me as if butter wouldn't melt... I was about to get into a rant but instantly thought better of it and drove on...

OK, it's hardly the same as getting macheted ...and feel free to call me a big freekin' wuss crapper, but I decided - I think rightly - not to pursue it....

I used to live in Gilmerton (the old village part).

I remember before we moved, seeing the iron mesh over the traffic lights.

Never ventured out in the local area much. All the bad stuff happened at night normally.

I actually loved it in that house. We had an open view across toward Mayfield & we had cows in the back garden from the dairy farm.

But we were encircled by Moredun, Gracemount, Southouse, Hyvots.

Lovely stuff!

I lived in East Kilngate for a few years loved my house, but not the area in which I wanted my kids to grow up and go to school.

Also went to Libby High, we had our fair share on nutters:eek:

Say What Again
OK, it's hardly the same as getting macheted ...and feel free to call me a big freekin' wuss crapper, but I decided - I think rightly - not to pursue it....

I'm pretty sure I'd have chosen exactly the same option mate.

It's not that long ago that a guy down my way got off a bus to confront a group of teenagers who were taking the **** from the street.

He was killed. :sad:

Drew Busby !
I'm pretty sure I'd have chosen exactly the same option mate.

It's not that long ago that a guy down my way got off a bus to confront a group of teenagers who were taking the **** from the street.

He was killed. :sad:

Jeez...

Wheres Charles Bronson when we need him !

Bronson.bmp

I lived in East Kilngate for a few years loved my house, but not the area in which I wanted my kids to grow up and go to school.

Also went to Libby High, we had our fair share on nutters:eek:

Yes mate. We moved as soon as we were getting near time for putting the 1st bairn into nursery. No offense to anyone but the schools weren't great.

I went to school with the 'captains drive psycho' as you put it and was very good mates with him.

While i'm not even going to begin to defend him for what he's done - chiefly becasue theres no excuse, i will see that i never had any bother with him in all my years of knowing him, was actually a really good bloke. Contraversial I know, but just my opinion.

Shame he ended up going down the route he did.

Drew Busby !
I went to school with the 'captains drive psycho' as you put it and was very good mates with him.

While i'm not even going to begin to defend him for what he's done - chiefly becasue theres no excuse, i will see that i never had any bother with him in all my years of knowing him, was actually a really good bloke. Contraversial I know, but just my opinion.

Shame he ended up going down the route he did.

Just make sure you ignore any calls from him. He might be looking to outsource his "machete for hire, stabbings to order" business from the inside :laugh:

Edit: just for the record, and in public, I just want to say that I'm also sure he's a top bloke and any reference to "psycho" was just light hearted, in fact make that affectionate, banter on my part. :scared:

Also just want to say that I'm fully in agreement with anything that you might ever say on Kickback over the next 50 years.

Take my wallet, just leave the face alone ! :D

RockyBalboa

Glass in face lad was year below me at School and is from the Inch. Think he got banned from here though.

Always was a crazy wee fruitloop :mad: Jails best place for him!

Drew Busby !

Apologies all round for my careless use of the terms "psycho" and "nutter" ;)

My account has been hacked and I want to make it completely 100% plain that I would never ever ever use words like that personally :laugh:

RockyBalboa
Apologies all round for my careless use of the terms "psycho" and "nutter" ;)

My account has been hacked and I want to make it completely 100% plain that I would never ever ever use words like that personally :laugh:

Nutters a good description for Leo.

Out of control fat **** is another ;)

John Findlay

I stayed in St Katherine's Loan for a year and went to St Catherine's primary for a year. Apart from the wooden hut classrooms being burnt down at St Catherine's primary(yes I do know who did it) never had any bother at all.

John

Drew Busby !
Nutters a good description for Leo.

Out of control fat **** is another ;)

When I'm back in civvy street then I'll give the lad a chance of a fresh start in my security company. Pity my last day was blighted by this account hack.

Yup, forgot to add that I'm a 6ft5in SAS trained killer and I just got word that I'm being drafted into a 10 year long undercover mission in the middle-east :cool:

It's very hush-hush so I won't be posting on the shed for a long long time.

Bye-ee ! :byebye:

RockyBalboa
When I'm back in civvy street then I'll give the lad a chance of a fresh start in my security company. Pity my last day was blighted by this account hack.

Yup, forgot to add that I'm a 6ft5in SAS trained killer and I just got word that I'm being drafted into a 10 year long undercover mission in the middle-east :cool:

Thats the randomest post I have ever read :)

Drew Busby !
Thats the randomest post I have ever read :)

Didn't realise so many people here knew them Rocky ! :scared:

Just wanted to clear up any (ahem) misinterpretation...

I mean words like "psycho" and "nutter" can so be be taken the wrong way :D

What I meant of course was, that they're probably just "misunderstood young men".

Free the Gracemount 2 !

Grow a set of bollox lad.

monkfish1979

Grew up in Ellen's Glen. We always had groups of neds hanging around trying to start trouble. As I've said before, "Escape from New York" was a great idea. Let's just let them wipe each other out.

Better call Saul

I was brought up in Burdiehoose / Gracie (Gracemount) knew most of the head bangers ! ?

I moved away when I was 15 down to leith FFS (not my choice) ,

however I returned to work there for a few months when I was 24 AND JESUS did i get a RE-fresh on how messed up the place was little ****s everywhere felt un easy about leaving my car around, all the wee fannnys that would have been in primary 1 when i was in 4th year ( give or take )were now the "wee neds" and hard little villians they were too.:eek:

Royston , Pilton , Muirhouse anybody ? Now those are rough.

Nothing like they used to be in the eighties and nineties.

The same can be said for Niddrie/Craigmillar.

With all the redevelopment work taking place most of the families who couldent be re housed locally have moved to Southouse/Gracemount or Wester Hailes. IMO the worst areas in Edinburgh at the moment.

Had the misfortune of working in Gracemount for 3 years across from the Captains Cabin, their was always family wars going on in they days. Macmillans is a name i seem to remember moved to Sighthill and Broomhouse was just as bad if not worse.:(

The White Cockade

haha born and brought up in Gracemount

but if anyone down South asks me where i'm from and I say Edinburgh they always say "oh the posh part of Scotland"!!!!

Live in Gilmerton(By the sounds of his description very close to Stairboys's old house)when i'm home on leave and went to school at Gracemount High.

It's definately worsened over the last ten years. Went for a pint in thre Marmion the other week and you could just feel the atmosphere as soon as you opened the door.

When i was at school there was always a bit of bother but generally everybody got on well and nobody wanted to **** on their own doorstep.

What staggers me most is the increased level of violence used.

Still alot of good people there though. For every nutcase and headbanger I know, there are hundreds of good decent people.

Pete Seeger
Nothing like they used to be in the eighties and nineties.

The same can be said for Niddrie/Craigmillar.

With all the redevelopment work taking place most of the families who couldent be re housed locally have moved to Southouse/Gracemount or Wester Hailes. IMO the worst areas in Edinburgh at the moment.

I thought Wester Hailes had come on a bit recently. Hasn't it had a lot of money thrown at it. I heard Oxgangs was having quite a bit of bother these days though. On a side note are the flats at Broomhouse coming down? Drove past them the other day and it loks like they're getting ready for demolition

Better call Saul
Had the misfortune of working in Gracemount for 3 years across from the Captains Cabin, their was always family wars going on in they days. Macmillans is a name i seem to remember moved to Sighthill and Broomhouse was just as bad if not worse.:(

Yup the Macmillans were defo a family to remember BUNCH OF TIC'S AS well so there is no suprise there then .

Across from the captains cabin you say you worked ...did you work in the Hairdressers Billyboy45 ?

I grew up there and there was nothing wrong with the place. Every scheme on the 32/52 bus route was rough;)

Better call Saul
I grew up there and there was nothing wrong with the place. Every scheme on the 32/52 bus route was rough;)

Disagree there M8 Frogstom road area's were ok but after that I suppose yer into Beriut for the rest of the Journey oxgangs westerhails sighthill broomie muirhoose Need i go on ...:P

Gracemount is a fine area to live. There is dingles all over the place. I have been a Gracie laddie aw my puff, bar a few years in Niddrie (or lower Newcraighall!).

It depends where you are from, to label an area as a ****hole. I think Leith, Granton and the likes are ****holes, but I've never lived there. Leithers probably wouldn't move from there.

But at the end of the day, you DO worry about bringing up kids in places like this. Gracemount and Gilmerton etc are huge residential areas, but with feck all for the youngsters to do. The high flats are more than half empty. One is totally empty. New hooses are being built all over the place. Lots of townhouses, 5+ bedrooms. That means single mothers wi 7 bairns wi hee haw to do bar annoy folk. Surely the council can miss a house or two to make some sort of amenity for young people.

Gracemount is a fine area to live. There is dingles all over the place. I have been a Gracie laddie aw my puff, bar a few years in Niddrie (or lower Newcraighall!).

It depends where you are from, to label an area as a ****hole. I think Leith, Granton and the likes are ****holes, but I've never lived there. Leithers probably wouldn't move from there.

But at the end of the day, you DO worry about bringing up kids in places like this. Gracemount and Gilmerton etc are huge residential areas, but with feck all for the youngsters to do. The high flats are more than half empty. One is totally empty. New hooses are being built all over the place. Lots of townhouses, 5+ bedrooms. That means single mothers wi 7 bairns wi hee haw to do bar annoy folk. Surely the council can miss a house or two to make some sort of amenity for young people.

I love reading your posts Gadgey, its like reading an Oor Wullie story :biggrin:

RockyBalboa
Didn't realise so many people here knew them Rocky ! :scared:

Just wanted to clear up any (ahem) misinterpretation...

I mean words like "psycho" and "nutter" can so be be taken the wrong way :D

What I meant of course was, that they're probably just "misunderstood young men".

Free the Gracemount 2 !

:rofl:

We used to pay 5p to get on the 32 circle and skive off school. We could spend hours on it doing the circle.

Better call Saul
We used to pay 5p to get on the 32 circle and skive off school. We could spend hours on it doing the circle.

5p Jeezo was that when they were trams ? :P:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Ha ha did that a few times skiving :confused: Used to call it the Aids bus due to all the used needles rolling about on the top deck :confused:

Sheriff Fatman
Grew up in Ellen's Glen. We always had groups of neds hanging around trying to start trouble. As I've said before, "Escape from New York" was a great idea. Let's just let them wipe each other out.

I lived on Ellen's Glen Road in the late 60's, early 70's and I really can't remember any trouble around there then (I was 6 when I moved away though). Me and my older sister used to wander around Liberton, Gilmerton and Gracemount all day and never once had any bother.

The back green was great for sledging and go carting, well apart from the dirty great stone wall at the bottom. I do remember hitting that a few times.

rossthejambo

my mum and dad are both from gracemount and my grannys still stay down there. cant say iv ever really had any trouble there but then again i've never been down there at night. through the day its not that bad a place. im sure theres worse places

monkfish1979
I lived on Ellen's Glen Road in the late 60's, early 70's and I really can't remember any trouble around there then (I was 6 when I moved away though). Me and my older sister used to wander around Liberton, Gilmerton and Gracemount all day and never once had any bother.

The back green was great for sledging and go carting, well apart from the dirty great stone wall at the bottom. I do remember hitting that a few times.

Hehe, had to climb over it to get our football a few times....

Glass in face lad was year below me at School and is from the Inch. Think he got banned from here though.

Always was a crazy wee fruitloop :mad: Jails best place for him!

upbringing give a lot to the way he turned out rocky!!!

not a lot of people realise that for one he found his uncle dead in the bath after the usual inch all night party...he was only a bairn(probly about 8-9 years of age)enough to feeeck any child up imo.

I stay in the area, and some of the remarks on this thread have got me sh itin masel ha ha!

As Gadgey said, its all about what you know, what you're used to. This place has probably gone downhill recently, but is that not just reflecting society in general?

Standards are slipping, violence is on the increase, whether it's gracemount, or Pilton, or somewhere down south, whatever.

Some on this thread think "danger" when they think of gracemount. I don't.

I think of.......

Magic laughs at the Mansion every week

The "Bikey" (purpose built BMX track just beside the Mansion......did YOUR scheme have one of those? Naw, exactly!)

Hughie and Alice's chippy

The auld Captains Cabin........what an institution that was. THAT was an eye opener for this 15 year old, making my way in the world of drink ha ha

lol, the Mansion - place was great for parties (well for easily-amused 8 yr olds anyway!!)

and the bikey - I had many, many bruises/cuts/scrapes from that red ash stuff. lol lol

gillie chris
I stayed in St Katherine's Loan for a year and went to St Catherine's primary for a year. Apart from the wooden hut classrooms being burnt down at St Catherine's primary(yes I do know who did it) never had any bother at all.

John

That would have been in the early 1960's when you were 11 :rolleyes:

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I stay in the area, and some of the remarks on this thread have got me sh itin masel ha ha!

As Gadgey said, its all about what you know, what you're used to. This place has probably gone downhill recently, but is that not just reflecting society in general?

Standards are slipping, violence is on the increase, whether it's gracemount, or Pilton, or somewhere down south, whatever.

I think of.......

The "Bikey" (purpose built BMX track just beside the Mansion......did YOUR scheme have one of those? Naw, exactly!)

The auld Captains Cabin........what an institution that was. THAT was an eye opener for this 15 year old, making my way in the world of drink ha ha

Aye, the one next to the old St.Joseph's Primary school in Broomhouse.

Replaced, by ****ty houses.

The good old days!!!!

Colonel Kurtz

I think of.......

Aye The old cabin,I was there when the manager Eddie got his finger sliced off by Sadie his wife,I put it inthe ice bucket ,but forgot what i had done.

Some old guy getting ice for the wife at night nearly had a heart attack

The shootings in The cabin were nothing to do with Gracemount or anybody who drunk in there.

Its a decent pub being ruined by the boy from the Rainbow who has the lease these days.

Gracemount is no worse than any other Edinburgh scheme,I come from the Inch and its like Columbia these days

Aye The old cabin,I was there when the manager Eddie got his finger sliced off by Sadie his wife,I put it inthe ice bucket ,but forgot what i had done.

Some old guy getting ice for the wife at night nearly had a heart attack

The shootings in The cabin were nothing to do with Gracemount or anybody who drunk in there.

Its a decent pub being ruined by the boy from the Rainbow who has the lease these days.

Gracemount is no worse than any other Edinburgh scheme,I come from the Inch and its like Columbia these days

*how do you mean?

p.s also from inch!!!

RockyBalboa
upbringing give a lot to the way he turned out rocky!!!

not a lot of people realise that for one he found his uncle dead in the bath after the usual inch all night party...he was only a bairn(probly about 8-9 years of age)enough to feeeck any child up imo.

True. His Maw also deserted him when he was about 11 or something and he stayed with "mates" all the time as his dad was in an out of jail all the time (think he's still in for drugs now) lad never had a chance, jails still best place for him though, I'd bet he'll be in an oot all his puff! :mad:

John Findlay
That would have been in the early 1960's when you were 11 :rolleyes:

LMAO.

February 1975 to be precise but, you are correct, I was eleven at the time.

John

Archived