Blog entry 5, 3/3/2010: A bit of fighting spirit

George Foulkes

George Foulkes

One of the Kickback posters recently queried whether I have any right to be given the special privilege of this place on the website.

My views are no more authoritative or better informed than any other fan but when I was offered the opportunity I gladly accepted on the basis that I might be able to see things from a unique perspective.

Stuart Bathgate, in his recent article on the fifth anniversary of the Vladimir Romanov takeover at Tynecastle, kindly recalled how, as Chairman, I stalled the planned move to Murrayfield by Chris Robinson to give us time to find an owner who would guarantee that we stayed at Tynecastle.

Romanov gave that guarantee and, in any balance sheet of the credits and debits of his reign, this might count as a massive plus.

Having said that, I must confess that I may now have to recant what I predicted in my last contribution.

Unusually for me, as an eternal optimist, I wrote that our season had effectively ended with our exit from both cups and no prospect of a place in Europe. That last part is now looking as if it, thankfully, may have been too pessimistic.

My other comment that the arrival of Jim Jefferies was a cause for optimism is shown to be a better assessment.

Our victories over Falkirk, Hamilton and Aberdeen have already changed the whole picture. I should have remembered the difference a good run can make.

The victory at Pittodrie was particularly sweet, not only because it was our first there for over two years, but because of the manner of the victory.

We were hampered by two unfortunate injuries to Kucharski and Zaliukas and the unjustified sending off of Kingston but kept on fighting in a way that has become more common under Jefferies.

Of course, it was a personal feat of great skill by Jonsson which gave us the victory but the other nine men, particularly keeper Balogh, that kept the lead. And the new positive approach is inspired by the whole management team.

For many years now Billy Brown has been an important part of the Jefferies/Brown partnership. More recently, the addition of Gary Locke has made it a formidable trio who can get the best out of any group of players.

When the rest of the injured players return, particularly Craig Thomson, we will be in an even more favourable position.

Of course, we still have a referee bias to overcome, but recently, the Kingston sending off apart, that has been less in evidence.

Anyway, the last few results have made me look forward even more to forthcoming fixtures and, once again, to make sure my passport is up to date.

However, lest I be caught out again, we need to remember we have some stiff competition away against Dundee United and Motherwell and, of course, Hibs at home on the horizon.

On the basis we seem to play better against tough opposition, particularly the Old Firm this year, a good place in the top six could set us up for a more exciting finish to the season than I had envisaged merely a month ago.

George Foulkes

3 March 2010

Copyright hmfckickback.co.uk and the author

We've just received the fifth in a series of articles from George Foulkes.

I'm reminding members that as George is writing at the invitation of the JKB management team, we expect him to be treated with respect and courtesy in accordance with the rules. Please keep this in mind if you're posting about his blogs.

Ulysses

Administrator

Archived