Portsmouth Fans

Martin_T

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=424&fid=203&sty=2

I'm probably guilty of doing a bit of car crash message board viewing here, but I thought I'd have a read of a Portsmouth fans forum, as given their current predicament I thought it would make interesting reading. It seems the majority of their fans are of the opinion that the club will not go into administration but liquidation. What an awful mess it is down there and when Pompey go it'll start a chain reaction that will finally bring English football back into reality.

The funny thing about all this is, that I remember someone arguing on this very forum, that we should adopt the same attitude as Pompey fans towards our clubs finances by choosing to remain ignorant and not caring where the money was coming from. Whilst there is very little we can do about things, Hearts fans have at very least asked a lot of questions regarding Romanov's motives and means at HMFC from the outset.

Miller Jambo 60

http://boards.footym...4&fid=203&sty=2

I'm probably guilty of doing a bit of car crash message board viewing here, but I thought I'd have a read of a Portsmouth fans forum, as given their current predicament I thought it would make interesting reading. It seems the majority of their fans are of the opinion that the club will not go into administration but liquidation. What an awful mess it is down there and when Pompey go it'll start a chain reaction that will finally bring English football back into reality.

The funny thing about all this is, that I remember someone arguing on this very forum, that we should adopt the same attitude as Pompey fans towards our clubs finances by choosing to remain ignorant and not caring where the money was coming from. Whilst there is very little we can do about things, Hearts fans have at very least asked a lot of questions regarding Romanov's motives and means at HMFC from the outset.

Who cares TBH, i dont im a jambo and its Hearts i worry for, Simples.

Sorry if thats selfish mate but no ones going to help me if im behind wi the Mortgage.

Geoff Kilpatrick

What do you mean Martin? Are you saying we should ask how UBIG and Ukio make their money?

They won't be the last to go and, sadly them going bust will stick my beloved Irons right back in the mire but you have to sympathise with their fans. They're amongst the best in the prem and it aint their fault the teams been run that way. Yeah, they weren't complaining but neither were we, initially. There, but for the grace of god go......

Is there not just a realisation amongst their fans that they are totally helpless in the whole situation?? Like us, the money required to make a difference is astronomical. I hear lots of people on here saying we should get rid of VR, but in reality its almost impossible without the best part of ?50m. Portsmouth fans are just waiting for the inevitable as it would take 4 times that for them.

In fact our situation, in comparison to Portsmouth, seems quite stable!!!

Who cares TBH, i dont im a jambo and its Hearts i worry for, Simples.

Sorry if thats selfish mate but no ones going to help me if im behind wi the Mortgage.

You care Doug, as you've replied on the thread. The collapse of the richest transfer market in world football will have a knock on effect for all clubs, including HMFC.

What do you mean Martin? Are you saying we should ask how UBIG and Ukio make their money?

I'm saying there have been fans on here who have at least adopted a questioning attitude from the outset Geoff, even if we still don't absolutely know the answers. Pompey seem to have chosen to live in blissful ignorance. From the sound of things they still haven't paid for most of the players that won them the cup in 2008. Like most of the EPL their growth was fuelled on seemingly endless line of credit and in an incredibly wreckless and irresponsible manner.

Its a real shame what's happening down there.

Pompey are a great club and it'll be a sad day for football if/when they go chebs up.

You've just got to hope that someone can come in and sort it all out. Can't see it though.

Prince Buaben

Is there not just a realisation amongst their fans that they are totally helpless in the whole situation?? Like us, the money required to make a difference is astronomical. I hear lots of people on here saying we should get rid of VR, but in reality its almost impossible without the best part of ?50m. Portsmouth fans are just waiting for the inevitable as it would take 4 times that for them.

Yeah its realiastion. There is a thread called the end where one poster says that its all over.

Cant imagine how the Portsmouth fans are feeling. With certain liquidation. As was put in another thread Portsmouth (like Hearts) are more than a football club it's a feeling, a camaraderie, boy scouts with beer.( not a sure about the last bit mind)

Miller Jambo 60

You care Doug, as you've replied on the thread. The collapse of the richest transfer market in world football will have a knock on effect for all clubs, including HMFC.

I'm saying there have been fans on here who have at least adopted a questioning attitude from the outset Geoff, even if we still don't absolutely know the answers. Pompey seem to have chosen to live in blissful ignorance. From the sound of things they still haven't paid for most of the players that won them the cup in 2008. Like most of the EPL their growth was fuelled on seemingly endless line of credit and in an incredibly wreckless and irresponsible manner.

Fair dos martin.

Lived down in Dog **** City for years and havent got time for them at all. Their fans are a bunch of chavs.

Typical English football mentality and Pompey folding would bring them back down to Earth.

Captain Lithuania

Correct me if I am wrong but don't many Premier League teams have a lot more debt than us. I mean, it could be worse, have you seen Manchester Uniteds debt, that's a situation to be in. The interest can be counted by the second. We're not in a good situation here at HMFC, but it could be worse.

Yes but premier league clubs get 30mil plus from tv a year even for getting relegated, we get peanuts in comparrison so ouramount of debt is relative is it not?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Martin, Vlad could be making money from laundering money in Eastern Europe for all I know. Do I care? Not really, as long as he wasn't found out in this scenario.

He is content to fund a deficit via his companies supplying capital and, thankfully, seems less and less inclined to interfere in football matters. That will do for me for now, as the idea of finding a buyer in this economic environment is laughable.

portobellojambo1

Quite stable when compared with some of the figures being quoted about EPL clubs, who have access to much higher funds than we do, through one source, Sky. Take Sky out of English football and it would collapse totally, other than possibly 2 or 3 clubs.

In terms of comparable money available to Scottish clubs I think to describe our situation as stable is possibly stretching it a little bit, we are never, ever going to trade our way out of our present situation I wouldn't think. We depend on one source at the moment, Mr Romanov, in the guise of UBIG, without that commitment from him, whatever level that commitment may be at (and that is what we really don't know, so can only guess at), we would now be in an as bad if not worse situation than Portsmouth.

Compare our debt to Rangers - who have by far and away more season ticket holders and sponsorship income (which I hate to admit) - which is similar to ours yet they are under the cosh and we arent.

Ive always been sceptical about the 'there is no debt' and 'its only on paper' statements we get by email from time to time, but compared to the goings on at several clubs Im starting to believe them.

marshallschunkychicken

Lived down in Dog **** City for years and havent got time for them at all. Their fans are a bunch of chavs.

Typical English football mentality and Pompey folding would bring them back down to Earth.

To be fair, mate, no matter how much of a **** they are, no one should ever be in a position where they lose their club.

It's just not right.

the oldest proffessional club in england Notts County, are very much on the verge as well, as are a few others crystal palace is one. not sure many will actually hit the wall, Leeds Utd have survived and they had massive debts. maybe this is a wake up call for english football and that they need to reform thier habits or suffer their league being broken into a super elite league and an ordinary league with no promotion as the costs would/are forcing clubs into huge debt to make themselves competitive at the higher level.

maybe this is just the beginning where even the big clubs in every country in europe realise that having only 4 or 5 teams strangling the life out of their leagues is killing their game and they have to share the finances out more evenly or find them selves in smaller leagues playing each other 4 times a season. oops that happened here and nobody at the GFA gave a s***

anyways i'm still blaming Bosman for this sad state of affairs

To be fair, mate, no matter how much of a **** they are, no one should ever be in a position where they lose their club.

It's just not right.

This

It's just not right.

Fair do's you have a point and I accept that, but Fratton Park is a breeding ground for football 'Firms', chavs and wannabe cockneys. If they lost their club I wouldnt lose sleep over it.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't many Premier League teams have a lot more debt than us. I mean, it could be worse, have you seen Manchester Uniteds debt, that's a situation to be in. The interest can be counted by the second. We're not in a good situation here at HMFC, but it could be worse.

As others have said you need to consider Debt v's Income and you could argue our ?30m is massive in relation to our income compared to a Premiership club getting 10's of millions a year in TV money etc compared to our turnover around ?12m

You also need to look at how the debt is structured. Most big companies have grown over the years by borrowing to invest in machinery, technology etc and if they get the cash flow correct they can grow, pay of the debt and in the end are bigger and worth more than before. For example, it is generally regarded a good idea to have a mortgage for your house, but you would never borrow the same amount on a credit card as the interest rate will be much higher.

We just need to hope that UKIO/UBIG are true to their word and are dealing with the debt in the most appropriate manner.

Archived