Robin Stenhouse

davemclaren

jambos are go!
A question for the more 'mature' guys.

Read about this guy in a few books. 5 starts, 4 goals within a month in 1961 them nothing until freed in 1962 - why? :blink:

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/stenhouserobin.html

Can vaguely remember him. Made a good start and looked like a great prospect but Tommy Walker went off and signed Willie Wallace, Maurice Elliott and Norrie Davidson. Danny Paton returned from National Service. Stenhouse was released and went to be a key figure in the Peniciik Junior team that made the Junior Cup final.

BTW Tommy Walker also released Bobby Rankin after less than a season who had an even more impressive scoring record on his limited first team opportunities. Mind you in those days a centre forward who did not deliver at least 20 goals a season was a failure.

Mind you in those days a centre forward who did not deliver at least 20 goals a season was a failure.

Changed days. Thanks for the info.

Read about this guy in a few books. 5 starts, 4 goals within a month in 1961 them nothing until freed in 1962 - why? :blink:

Fell out with Tommy Walker if I remember correctly.

Worked as a Prison Officer at Saughton till not that long ago - spoke to him a couple of time at the club at Longstone. A very nice guy - and still a jambo.

I was in Robin's class at school at Boroughmuir, good lad big and strong as I remember but cannot remember seeing him play for the first team, must admit was chuffed that he had the chance to play for the Hearts as that was what me and thousands of others would have liked but didn't think at the time he was that good, probably just me being jealous, hope he is still a jambo as much as I am and wish him all the best.

I used to work beside Robin Stenhouse, he was a Service Manager at Pitney Bowes. In his own words "he enjoyed his short spell but said he wasnt good enough"

Very nice guy I dont know where he is these days, but interestingly enough out of the 4 Managers at Pitney Bowes in Airdrie 3 were Hearts daft, and the other was a Dunfermline fan!

highlander1956

I worked with his daughter good while back he was a PO in Peterhead then, she said as kids everytime they drove up Gorgie Road he got them to salute the Stadium.

I used to work beside Robin Stenhouse, he was a Service Manager at Pitney Bowes. In his own words "he enjoyed his short spell but said he wasnt good enough"

Very nice guy I dont know where he is these days, but interestingly enough out of the 4 Managers at Pitney Bowes in Airdrie 3 were Hearts daft, and the other was a Dunfermline fan!

5 starts and 4 goals, what we would give for a player that "wasnt good enough" these days

jambos are go!
5 starts and 4 goals, what we would give for a player that "wasnt good enough" these days

Things were different back then. No twin centre backs and Strikers/centre Forwards got plenty of chances ALA Kris Boyd.

We signed Bobby Rankine from QOTS in March 1959 and released less than 3 months later after scoring 9 goals in 5 League Games. Source London Hearts. Might have been personal reasons but I can't recall.

In those days full time squads were kept around 22 players so Stenhouse and Rankine were competing with the likes of Bauld,Young,Blackwood, Murray for the Striking slots. When they departed Tommy Walker chose to buy in as I mentioned earlier. Alan Gordon alone of the younger recruits was kept.

Bloody hell, Robin Stenhouse !! Now ther's a 'blast from the past'! Tbh i don't remember much about him, other than iirc he was a big 'lanky lad'!

Wish him all the best.

Yo Yo the Parrot

Has anyone tracked him down ? I would like to contact him in connection with a project I have ongoing.

Archived