EAMONN BANNON

tam_1955

Found on the Daily Record website.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2008/01/29/hero-footballers-where-are-they-now-86908-20301889/

HE used to have fullbacks on toast but wing king Eamonn Bannon can now be found making breakfasts for a living.

The former Hearts, Chelsea, Dundee United and Scotland midfielder has run his own guest house for the last 10 years.

It's a far cry from playing in the World Cup or a European Cup semi-final, which Bannon did in the 1980s.

But he has managed to apply the same determination which won him 11 Scotland caps to his new profession.

Bannon bought the Strathallan Guest House in his home city of Edinburgh in 1997.

He had been out of football for a year following his only stint as a manager, seven months with Falkirk.

And he realised the time had come for him to look at making a living outside the game.

He said: "I've always been interested in property and jumped at the chance to buy the guest house.

"I used the money I got from Falkirk for breach of contract and I was keen to run the place as a B&B.

"What attracted me was I knew if that failed, then money would still be made on the property.

"Thankfully, the business side of things has gone well.

"The downside is cooking breakfast and cleaning rooms, which can feel like Groundhog Day.

"But the good side is getting to meet lots of nice people who are on holiday. We have seven rooms and we get a lot of guests from England and abroad, as well as mums and dads who are visiting kids at university.

"I rarely get a visitor who recognises me but some recognise the name and I've been asked if there was a footballer called Bannon."

Bannon says nothing compares with playing and 99.9 per cent of ex-players still miss the game.

But despite missing out on the millions to be made from football today, he does not begrudge players a penny.

He said: "I'm delighted the players are getting their fair share of the pie and there's more money in the game through television.

"My generation of players just missed the Bosman ruling, which changed everything and gave more power and freedom to the players.

"The players had no power and were often just abused by managers and directors.

"I played at the highest level but even the top players from my era have had to find jobs.

"I was studying to be a PE teacher and did a year at Jordanhill College before I turned pro with Hearts.

"At no time did I think I was going to be a full-time footballer but when the chance came, I took it because I knew I could go back and try teaching if I failed."

Bannon, who has four grown-up children with teacher wife Kathleen, added: "In my day, the clubs did not prepare you for a life outside football.

"A lot of ex-pros try their hand at managing or coaching and I enjoy coaching - which goes back to my teacher training days.

"However, once you drop out of the game, it's very difficult to get back in and before you know it, that ship has sailed."

Colonel Kurtz

Still see Eamon,he is a gentleman and was a great player.

He scored one of the best Scottish goals ever in Europe ,unfortunately for dundee utd.

I recall midfield from The Inch days of Bannon ..Bannon..Bannon,his brothers Ged and Paddy were also good players.

One thing I say to him,is that if you look at the boys from the Inch,The proddys kept their hair .

Got lots of time for him.

I just read an article covering the time when Hurst took over as Chelsea boss - Bannon was dropped and replaced by the "pragmatic" Ron Harris. I've never seen Chopper called that before.

I can see the Scotsman now - "And the pragmatic Pasquale Bruno..." . Great alliteration.

Better call Saul
Got lots of time for him.

I just read an article covering the time when Hurst took over as Chelsea boss - Bannon was dropped and replaced by the "pragmatic" Ron Harris. I've never seen Chopper called that before.

I can see the Scotsman now - "And the pragmatic Pasquale Bruno..." . Great alliteration.

Was it against st patricks that he missed that sitter when the ball slipped of his head and totally missed the open goal ?

Colonel Kurtz
Was it against st patricks that he missed that sitter when the ball slipped of his head and totally missed the open goal ?

He also put a penalty out the ground at the school end

Balance that against scoring a goal which got us promoted,and a few good goals against the Hobos.

Didnt want to go to Chelsea ,sold by the Bank of Scotland

Yep.

Remember it like yesterday.

Still a legend though.

He was a truely great player for Dundee Utd but I don't think we saw the best of him second time round and in his 30s.

I think Utd got the best out of Bannon, Bowman, Ferguson and Jackson.

We got the best of Pressley.

Now they have Levein.

Buffalo Bill

skotskosparta
Doesn't he support another Edinburgh team?

He does not follow or support any Edinburgh team, although his in-laws are big Hibbys. His nephew and my cousin of course played for Celtic two seasons ago, so was seen at Parkhead on many occasion.

Colonel Kurtz
Doesn't he support another Edinburgh team?

a family with brothers called Vincent,Eamon and Patrick,,theres a hint they are hardly going to be huns,

meridian jambo

It was against Rangers in a 0-0 draw (IIRC) that he fired the penalty into the school.

Was a great player though.

a family with brothers called Vincent,Eamon and Patrick,,theres a hint they are hardly going to be huns,

But I'm not sure what that would have to do with supporting Hearts? Please explain.

• 7 years later...
Guest Bilel Mohsni

He was a truely great player for Dundee Utd but I don't think we saw the best of him second time round and in his 30s.

Now they have Levein.

Buffalo Bill

Bannon used to take to the pitch with calls of: "That's it Hearts, time to bring on a bit of experience", ringing around the ground. An enduring memory of the terracing days when I was a wee boy. :D

Looking at earlier posts from 2008 I think some are wrong.

I'm certain he's confirmed since then he grew up a Hearts supporter.

He's certainly at Tynecastle a lot and I've seen him a few times in the corporate.

132goals1958

I think his first appearance for us was when he came on as a sub against Hamburg. My how time passes so quickly.

jambos are go!

Best young player I've seen come into the first team. Still a very good player when he game back but his legs had gone.

The White Cockade

when Eamon played for Hearts as a teenager he was probably the best youngster i've ever seen break

into Hearts first team including the current crop

I think he played one full season for us in midfield and scored about 18 goals

Most of his goals were absolute rakers

Was gutted when he was sold as he would have been a real star for us

but as with Dave Mackay he was forced out so the club could get some money

We have had some poor Boards of Directors overf the years

Still see Eamon,he is a gentleman and was a great player.

He scored one of the best Scottish goals ever in Europe ,unfortunately for dundee utd.

I recall midfield from The Inch days of Bannon ..Bannon..Bannon,his brothers Ged and Paddy were also good players.

One thing I say to him,is that if you look at the boys from the Inch,The proddys kept their hair .

Think I've played against Ged over here in oz was a good player always imagined it to be Jed.

avhudtheteeshirt

I played in the same Sunday team as Bannon before he made the grade, he was an absolute class act even when young. All he ever wanted was to play football, but he was always destined to be a great player, his manner was fantastic even when other players were trying to do him he never reacted just smiled and ran right past them!!!!

How's that?

• 1 year later...

The Velez Mostar boss took in a drab 0-0 v. Dundee Utd a few days before our 1st leg UEFA Cup tie in '88/89. I recall he was very smug with his comments in the Scottish press afterwards. He basically wrote us off.

Not sure, ottomh, if Eamonn played in that Utd game but, regardless, they hadn't done their homework.

He scored the opener and ran them ragged. Particularly so as he played wide left but, of course, could easily cut inside and use his natural right foot.

His best game, imo, in his 2nd spell.

Tommy Brown

Gutted when sold to Chelsea, he was the only ray of light in a poor Hearts side.

Didn't quite work at Chelsea, who were starting into slump.

DU got the best of him, fantastic player.

Huge home game in 1986, a right horrible rainy day at Tyney. We were fantastic for an hour but only 1-0 up.

I sat in section T and watched him hit a Rudi-esque left foot volley into the far corner.

Great player.

Does he still drink in Leslies?

Dont know about Leslies but I  have seen him in The Old Bell on the odd occasion.

Legend. Off track a bit here but I mind his testimonial night - barely.

Sure it was somewhere in Fife and a ticket was ?25 or something but it was a free bar. Carnage. Don't think the poor sod made anything as the nick of some folk

Some folk with a better memory than me will be able to confirm were it was but I'm sure it was a federation affiliated shindig

Harry Potter

I had the honour to watch him playing for Hearts.

Mind his goal on the 29th of April 1978 at Arbroath to take us back to the Premier league

Just remember as i was full o ale that day, bit naughty as i was 17.

Another great day on a supporters bus.

I had the honour to watch him playing for Hearts.

Mind his goal on the 29th of April 1978 at Arbroath to take us back to the Premier league

Just remember as i was full o ale that day, bit naughty as i was 17.

Another great day on a supporters bus.

. I came home with a lump of turf that I planted in a pot and called it Eamonn. Survived for a few years.

The Real Maroonblood

Dont know about Leslies but I  have seen him in The Old Bell on the odd occasion.

Further to my post 2 years on he still drinks in Leslie's.

Harry Potter

. I came home with a lump of turf that I planted in a pot and called it Eamonn. Survived for a few years.

I was on the pan the following day, concord wine lol.

upgotheheads

Now they have Levein.

Buffalo Bill

You could add George Fleming to that list. We were Dundee United's feeder team in that era of mismanagement.

Archived