Taking unfashionable clubs to heights 

But Clough was a genius 

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Him and Jim McLean were the best managers of that era

Taking unfashionable clubs to heights 

But Clough was a genius 

Clough was a genius 

What he achieved was absolutely staggering 

On Jim McLean, was a great shame they didn't win UEFA Cup. They probably deserved to win it. United had some real cracking players in that side. Many of whom were one club men 

Different times. Football was better back then imho 

Салатные палочки

Clough showed that football is ultimately an easy game to play and win at.  Never over-complicated things, although he was a complex man himself.  He was also a great man-manager and got the best out of players who were unfancied or unfit (John Robertson for example).  He wanted his goalkeepers to save shots, his defenders to defend, his midfielders to supply and his strikers to score.  He was, in short, a genius.  

McLean had one great idea which was to pay the players low wages and very high win bonuses.  That's bloody genius itself.  

More often than not the players would not see Clough till match day, a fantastic motivator , played it on the grass, his players never argued with officials, and we should never underestimate the value of Peter Taylor, he could find players to fit the Forest and Derby County system, take Kenny Burns a striker at Birmingham who became POTY as a centre half in 1978

4 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

More often than not the players would not see Clough till match day, a fantastic motivator , played it on the grass, his players never argued with officials, and we should never underestimate the value of Peter Taylor, he could find players to fit the Forest and Derby County system, take Kenny Burns a striker at Birmingham who became POTY as a centre half in 1978

Was just delighted that he never managed England.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I'm getting close to old duffer territory, all sentimental about the past, but I've always had a soft spot for Forest and Dundee Utd because of the teams Clough and McLean built. Forest - promotion, champions and double EC winners in four years. Utd - a bent ref away from the EC final against THE Liverpool, winning in the Camp Nou and UEFA Cup Final. Man, football was good in those days. But yeah, Clough was the real deal. 

Hilary Briss
33 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Was just delighted that he never managed England.

Agreed. Never could have happened though. The FA were petrified of him.

What him and Peter Taylor did with Forest will never be repeated. What a team that was.

i wish jj was my dad
9 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I'm getting close to old duffer territory, all sentimental about the past, but I've always had a soft spot for Forest and Dundee Utd because of the teams Clough and McLean built. Forest - promotion, champions and double EC winners in four years. Utd - a bent ref away from the EC final against THE Liverpool, winning in the Camp Nou and UEFA Cup Final. Man, football was good in those days. But yeah, Clough was the real deal. 

I'm with you in this. We never had it so good.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

My former coach, played for Clough. Quite a few amusing stories, including a tale of how Cloughies brother ran a rather successful amateur team that was less than honest about where the players come from! The reward for the players was as much as they could grab off his newsagents shelves.

Other tales included Brian devouring a pot of winter green before walking out of the room following a rather dismal first half performance in the FA Youth Cup at Mansfield. No need for words apparently.

His other side included training sessions that were basically a walk along the Trent if the weather was too nice.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

On Clough - I wouldn't say it's forgotten, but it doesn't receive as much attention as his success at Forest - promotion with Derby County, champions, and then EC semi final. Derby County. ? Amazing. 

44 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

On Clough - I wouldn't say it's forgotten, but it doesn't receive as much attention as his success at Forest - promotion with Derby County, champions, and then EC semi final. Derby County. ? Amazing. 

Yeah. Not a one trick pony. Leeds missed a trick

11 minutes ago, benny said:

He wasn't very good without Peter Taylor.

Still built succesful sides and won trophies but yeah,they were a fantastic double act.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Did he winth first division with Derby? I thought it was Dave Mackay. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Did he winth first division with Derby? I thought it was Dave Mackay. 

They both did. Derby won in 72 and 75. 

davemclaren
Just now, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

They both did. Derby won in 72 and 75. 

So they did. My memory is not what it was clearly. ?

The documentary "I believe in miracles" is a great watch for anyone interested in football in the late 70s early 80s not just those interested in what Clough did after being sacked by Leeds. The start is fantastic with the interview with Clough and Revie. 

Clough wasnt the best manager but he was in the top one....a huge personal hero of mine, read countless books on the great man. A flawed genius - but most of them are.

7 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Clough wasnt the best manager but he was in the top one....a huge personal hero of mine, read countless books on the great man. A flawed genius - but most of them are.

8 hours ago, Four faces said:

Still built succesful sides and won trophies but yeah,they were a fantastic double act.

Only won 2 league cups without Taylor.

A brilliant duo but his record is average on his own.

Hilary Briss
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

My former coach, played for Clough. Quite a few amusing stories, including a tale of how Cloughies brother ran a rather successful amateur team that was less than honest about where the players come from! The reward for the players was as much as they could grab off his newsagents shelves.

Other tales included Brian devouring a pot of winter green before walking out of the room following a rather dismal first half performance in the FA Youth Cup at Mansfield. No need for words apparently.

His other side included training sessions that were basically a walk along the Trent if the weather was too nice.

Thats must have been some experience working under Cloughie.........very impressive.

Forest are my second team...........I had family in Nottingham in 70's / 80's and went to quite a few games in golden era as was down there all the time. 

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The best thing Jim McLean did was chin that BBC Scotland wank John Barnes. 

"Have some of this".  

Lamp. 

:rofl:

Pity someone never lamped that wee dwarf Mclean a bully if ever

Though a top Manager

10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The best thing Jim McLean did was chin that BBC Scotland wank John Barnes. 

"Have some of this".  

Lamp. 

:rofl:

And spent the next hour or so hiding from the pressmen who were waiting to kick his ^^^^ in. 

He was a coward.

Big Slim Stylee
2 hours ago, benny said:

Every manager has a sell-by date, tbh. Apart from a force of nature like Ferguson. The drink was probably Clough's downfall.

3 hours ago, benny said:

It's a fair point. Always thought it interesting that Martin O'Neill's one real failing at a club - Sunderland - came without John Robertson. 

Judge Fudge

" Brian we hired you because you are the best young manager in the land" " I'm the best old one too". As has been mentioned the job he done at Derby was special. But to then take a club like Forest to the heights he did marks him out as arguably the best British manager of all time. If it hadn't been for a rampant Liverpool in those days he could have easily achieved the kind of honours Fergie did. 

8 hours ago, Spencer said:

Clough was a genius 

What he achieved was absolutely staggering 

On Jim McLean, was a great shame they didn't win UEFA Cup. They probably deserved to win it. United had some real cracking players in that side. Many of whom were one club men 

Different times. Football was better back then imho 

Was it the European Cup Semi that had some questionable refereeing? Great team Utd had back then. Remember being gutted when Dave Bowman left us to go there.

Judge Fudge
16 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Was it the European Cup Semi that had some questionable refereeing? Great team Utd had back then. Remember being gutted when Dave Bowman left us to go there.

It was the away tie against AS Roma, had they got through it would have been a Liverpool v Dundee  Utd final back in the same stadium in Rome. To be fair the officials were probably knackered after being up all night rattling prossies and picking colours for their soon to be new sports cars.

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Bo  went to Coventry  first did he not ?

Okay, here's a question. What or when was the defining moment when football changed. In 1988/89 we took Bayern Munich all the way and were a kick in the arse of a UEFA Cup Semi-Final with Napoli; Diego Maradona et al. Not sure who were the actual Euro Champions at the time, maybe AC, Real, Barcelona etc but they weren't in quality terms that much in front of Bayern in the UEFA. We more than held our own against Bayern with what you would call good journeymen players, so when did the real era of the so called superstar begin? 

28 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

29 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

Think you may be right now you mention it.

MacDonald Jardine
2 hours ago, amadjambo said:

It was the European Cup semi.

Bowman left us for Coventry then came back up to United.

McLean may have built great teams but his method of doing that was at best questionable.

MacDonald Jardine
14 minutes ago, JWL said:

Okay, here's a question. What or when was the defining moment when football changed. In 1988/89 we took Bayern Munich all the way and were a kick in the arse of a UEFA Cup Semi-Final with Napoli; Diego Maradona et al. Not sure who were the actual Euro Champions at the time, maybe AC, Real, Barcelona etc but they weren't in quality terms that much in front of Bayern in the UEFA. We more than held our own against Bayern with what you would call good journeymen players, so when did the real era of the so called superstar begin? 

Early 90s with the Champions League.

But the single biggest change was the Bosman ruling.

10 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Early 90s with the Champions League.

But the single biggest change was the Bosman ruling.

Probably but we still took a massive club like Athletico Madrid all the way in 1993. Not sure where I;m going but even after the inception of the CL and the Premiership in England, there must have been a point where everything just went nuclear and the Messi's and Ronaldo's seemed to appear.

MacDonald Jardine
7 minutes ago, JWL said:

Probably but we still took a massive club like Athletico Madrid all the way in 1993. Not sure where I;m going but even after the inception of the CL and the Premiership in England, there must have been a point where everything just went nuclear and the Messi's and Ronaldo's seemed to appear.

I think it was a cumulative effect of these things and the influence of pay per view TV, which all favoured the bigger clubs in the bigger countries.

Konrad von Carstein
4 hours ago, DavieG said:

And spent the next hour or so hiding from the pressmen who were waiting to kick his ^^^^ in. 

He was a coward.

Whit, What pressmen?  He was an erse but none of the Scottish press pack would have the minerals to do anything about Barnes being lamped.

lauriesrank

As far as I am concerned, Brian Clough is the best manager in English football ever.  Apart from all his famous quotes, which are class, the refusal to buy FRancis for a million was indicative of things to come and he saw it in 79.

MacDonald Jardine
7 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

As far as I am concerned, Brian Clough is the best manager in English football ever.  Apart from all his famous quotes, which are class, the refusal to buy FRancis for a million was indicative of things to come and he saw it in 79.

Refusal? He did buy Francis for £1m.

lauriesrank
7 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Refusal? He did buy Francis for £1m didn't he?

Na, 999,999, in reality it was a little less but cause of vat etc, it ended up 1.2 million [sic] Giuseppe Salvodi was the worlds first million quid player though.

Anyway, clough wasn't willing to pay a million.

Savoldi was bought for about 23984287346827346 billion lire, which was £1.2 million at the time, before taxes.

MacDonald Jardine
3 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

Na, 999,999, in reality it was a little less but cause of vat etc, it ended up 1.2 million [sic] Giuseppe Salvodi was the worlds first million quid player though.

Anyway, clough wasn't willing to pay a million.

Okay.  If I remember rightly he was publicised as the first £1m footballer. 

I take the point about Clough though. 

Clough was a foul mouthed (Michael Sheen put a few folk straight on that on a 5Live interview) dinosaur who was completely bent ( FA ban for selling cup final tickets, cash in a bag from Celtic for arranging Davie Provan's testimonial).  Other stuff I know but can't post because it's from 3rd parties. I actually saw his Forest team that won the European Cup - it made Mourinho look like Pep. 

Placid Casual
8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Other stuff I know but can't post because it's from 3rd parties. 

Come on. I don’t think the Clough family’s lawyers read Kickback.

Maybe different eras produce different characters. 

Likes of Allardyce and Pullis have been accused of different things especially re financial benefits.  Modern guys probably more clean though with the murky world of agents you never know. 

Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Clough was a foul mouthed (Michael Sheen put a few folk straight on that on a 5Live interview) dinosaur who was completely bent ( FA ban for selling cup final tickets, cash in a bag from Celtic for arranging Davie Provan's testimonial).  Other stuff I know but can't post because it's from 3rd parties. I actually saw his Forest team that won the European Cup - it made Mourinho look like Pep. 

Or...Footballing Genius. 

Just heard john McGovern singing AC/ DC in the style of Brian Clough. Second time I've heard it and still worth hearing. He does 'a whole lot of Rosie'. Worth a listen. 

Archived