Current Hibs lot an Exceptional Team

Stuart Lyon

Certainly not an exceptional side but a strong side within the context of SPL.  

Last night it was evident again that they work harder in and out of possession than we do and look fitter than we do 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Brightside
2 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

Take McGeouch out that team and they are average. Forget the McGinn pish, it's McGeouch that makes them tick. 

McGeouch is out of contract at end of the season and looks to be leaving. Allan will return to Celtic, not sure how long is left on his contract. McGinn is entering the last year of his contract and Hibs will be desperate to cash in to avoid losing him on a free.

Lennon could have a big job on his hands in the summer rebuilding the Hibs midfield.

22 minutes ago, ray- said:

took seven points out of nine [would have been nine if Shaw's goal was given] against Hearts

Typical Hibs logic. Right up there with Lennon claiming our clean sheet record was a ‘misnomer’ because of Shaws ‘goal’ 

It wasn’t first goal the winner.

Goals change games and just because it ended goalless that doesn’t mean that Hearts wouldn’t have scored if the ‘goal’ was given.

Only an idiot would think otherwise.

Escobar PHM

They have an exceptional midfield trio. That protects their unexceptional back 4 and produces goals for their unexceptional strikers. They will

come back to us once that midfield trio

is split up.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
53 minutes ago, Gazbo said:

Aye they were 

I prefer to just to win and live for the now not the past 

Nobody laughing at me. Maybe it's you they are laughing at 

Escobar PHM
9 minutes ago, Highways and Byways said:

Typical Hibs logic. Right up there with Lennon claiming our clean sheet record was a ‘misnomer’ because of Shaws ‘goal’ 

Goals change games and just because it ended goalless that doesn’t mean that Hearts wouldn’t have scored if the ‘goal’ was given.

Oily Shaws ‘goal’ was offside. Every angle you look at proves it. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
33 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Certainly not an exceptional side but a strong side within the context of SPL.  

Last night it was evident again that they work harder in and out of possession than we do and look fitter than we do 

Not apparent in the cup game or even the league game at Tynecastle. 

I would comment our away form and absence of any consistency in midfield is a massive hindrance 

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Oily Shaws ‘goal’ was offside. Every angle you look at proves it. 

Absolutely.

6 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

They have an exceptional midfield trio. That protects their unexceptional back 4 and produces goals for their unexceptional strikers. They will

come back to us once that midfield trio

is split up.

We need to be moving forward rather than hoping Hibs come back to our level 

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

As Hibs have proved in this league. It doesn’t matter how good you are. It only matters that your better than your rivals 

33 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

McGeouch is out of contract at end of the season and looks to be leaving. Allan will return to Celtic, not sure how long is left on his contract. McGinn is entering the last year of his contract and Hibs will be desperate to cash in to avoid losing him on a free.

Lennon could have a big job on his hands in the summer rebuilding the Hibs midfield.

Just imagine the job CL has on his hands then. Hibs are far from exceptional in any sense but we haven't laid a glove on them in two games at Easter Rd.  They are piss poor and we don't get near beating them. Says it all really. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not apparent in the cup game or even the league game at Tynecastle. 

I would comment our away form and absence of any consistency in midfield is a massive hindrance 

Very apparent last night. Any time Boyle got on the ball and ran it was obvious we only thought about fouling him as nobody had legs to match him 

Probably worst thing of the night for me was watching Naismith struggle with industry and tenacity of McGinn on several occasions.  Naismith looked laboured and very short of legs and fitness last night 

I don't like Lennon but he has that lot fit and sharp. They are effective at ugly parts of the game, and crucially they are acutely aware that our players don't have the stomach for real hard graft and industry 

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Just imagine the job CL has on his hands then. Hibs are far from exceptional in any sense but we haven't laid a glove on them in two games at Easter Rd.  They are piss poor and we don't get near beating them. Says it all really. 

In the context of the league, they are not piss poor. They are a decent side with a good midfield at the moment. We have a lot of work to do to match them in the middle of the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

As Hibs have proved in this league. It doesn’t matter how good you are. It only matters that your better than your rivals 

Just watched a bit of game from last night. Thought Commons was right when he said before KO that he hasn't seen Hearts desperate to win at any stage this season. Instead we have looked desperate not to get beat. 

That is Levein summed up imo. Desperate not to lose in a league made up of some very poorly supported clubs. 

Negative approach is ingrained in our players from Levein 

Just now, jambogaza said:

In the context of the league, they are not piss poor. They are a decent side with a good midfield at the moment. We have a lot of work to do to match them in the middle of the pitch.

They are piss poor and rarely troubled Hearts last night. Hearts are just worse. The rest I agree with. 

Just now, Spencer said:

Just watched a bit of game from last night. Thought Commons was right when he said before KO that he hasn't seen Hearts desperate to win at any stage this season. Instead we have looked desperate not to get beat. 

That is Levein summed up imo. Desperate not to lose in a league made up of some very poorly supported clubs. 

Negative approach is ingrained in our players from Levein 

Hearts were not negative last night and I don't know why this is being trotted out. We were competitive in the first half although rarely threatening , unlike the Motherwell game. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Very apparent last night. Any time Boyle got on the ball and ran it was obvious we only thought about fouling him as nobody had legs to match him 

Probably worst thing of the night for me was watching Naismith struggle with industry and tenacity of McGinn on several occasions.  Naismith looked laboured and very short of legs and fitness last night 

I don't like Lennon but he has that lot fit and sharp. They are effective at ugly parts of the game, and crucially they are acutely aware that our players don't have the stomach for real hard graft and industry 

They have pace and width that's a  given. 

Our fitness improvement was noticeable post Cathro. I think it is a lack of pace not fitness

6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Hearts were not negative last night and I don't know why this is being trotted out. We were competitive in the first half although rarely threatening , unlike the Motherwell game. 

We were happy to hit them on the break, rather than take the game to them. Justifiably so considering the team we put out.

Just now, jambogaza said:

We were happy to hit them on the break, rather than take the game to them. Justifiably so considering the team we put out.

Hearts weren't negative last night - have a look at the Well game for a comparison.  They are completely different. We'll be here all night so I'll bow out.

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

They have pace and width that's a  given. 

Our fitness improvement was noticeable post Cathro. I think it is a lack of pace not fitness

I said at half time last night that we’d run out of gas if the tempo didn’t slow down for us. We were dead on our feet just around the time they scored and there was no chance we could raise ourselves to get back into it. I think we are fitter than under Cathro but we didn’t have enough in the tank left to get back into the game

39 minutes ago, Highways and Byways said:

As it said during the commentary, hearts are the only team in the SPL that have never recovered this season from going behind, so it's going by statistics rather than "Hibs logic".

buzzbomb1958
3 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

Take McGeouch out that team and they are average. Forget the McGinn pish, it's McGeouch that makes them tick. 

What a lot of tosh Lennon has went the right way build a midfield and the rest  click into place what about Boyle probably pos our midfield could not lace their boots Levein has been done by a better manager with less money says it all

I fully get that from 1983, the one win and three drawn games what Hearts achieved that season led to a period of dominance that lasted over thirty years and that this lasted until around 2015 and this naturally has led to the mindset of entitlement which is held by many Hearts fans.

I went to my first Hibs game in 1965 and became a regular [home and away], by 1968, which was the time when Hibs held the upper hand in the capital and no doubt over that fifteen year period there was the same arrogance held in the Hibs support that exists in the heart’s support today and doubtless this lasted long after the three draws and defeat in 1983.

This brings us to today and I honestly believe both Hearts and Hibs are in the best shape they could be since Wallace Mercer and Tom Hart were at the heart of our respective clubs and I would hope neither will ever again get in to the state they were left in by Duff & Gray at Hibs and more recently, “the Pieman & Romanov” at hearts.

Even with Hart and Mercer at the helm of our respective clubs, our success was carried forward by their astute managers, Turnbull and MacDonald and if we described the scene today, with regard to stadium, training centres and equipment, season ticket sales and the likes, they would suggest we get carried away in straight jackets.

The whole point is that unless a rich benefactor arrives at one or the other of our clubs, I can never again see one or other of our clubs to dominate a derby to the degree that has been a feature of my lifetime. 

Hearts are not having a great time of late, but it won’t last & Hibs are anything but a “wee team”, especially when we are talking about the confines of Scottish football.  Going forward I can only see good things for both of our clubs, but obviously, the usual struggle will go on with the ugly sisters and Aberdeen, who should end up as our nearest [long term] rivals.

I would expect any Hearts fan who expects anything like the level of dominance they had over Hibs over the 32 years to 2015 are in for a huge disappointment and like the Hibs fans before them, they will be in for a miserable existence going forward unless they taper their expectations, both clubs have moved on too far for that level of dominance and I do believe for the most part, both clubs will achieve success in Scotland.  

Just now, ray- said:

As it said during the commentary, hearts are the only team in the SPL that have never recovered this season from going behind, so it's going by statistics rather than "Hibs logic".

What complete and utter tosh.

Every game is different. Within those different games, incidents change games.

Don’t know why I’m debating this with you tbh. I should have left you be after the closing gambit of my previous post......I’ve been lowered to a level and been beaten with experience  :wink:

Mr Brightside
4 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

What a lot of tosh Lennon has went the right way build a midfield and the rest  click into place what about Boyle probably pos our midfield could not lace their boots Levein has been done by a better manager with less money says it all

Lennon inherited a good midfield didn’t build it.

Hibs have a stronger team at the moment but could need to replace there strikers and midfield in the summer (it out of contract players and loans leave). That will be a big test for Lennon.

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

Youre right there, although no doubt he’ll get a bit of help from his pal Timothy. Rodgers has said Hibs are welcome to Allan so wouldn’t be surprised if they sign him. Sad state of affairs leaving Hibs to sit and twiddle his thumbs for so long at Celtic to end up back at Hibs. McGeouch would be a massive miss for them.

tartofmidlothian
3 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

It's an exceptional Hibs team. It's not an exceptional team.

:spoton:

It's their best since McLeish, I'd say.

It should have been ten
22 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

McGeouch IS what makes them tick.

Lennon did not build their midfield :laugh:

31 minutes ago, ray- said:

I fully get that from 1983, the one win and three drawn games what Hearts achieved that season led to a period of dominance that lasted over thirty years and that this lasted until around 2015 and this naturally has led to the mindset of entitlement which is held by many Hearts fans.

I went to my first Hibs game in 1965 and became a regular [home and away], by 1968, which was the time when Hibs held the upper hand in the capital and no doubt over that fifteen year period there was the same arrogance held in the Hibs support that exists in the heart’s support today and doubtless this lasted long after the three draws and defeat in 1983.

This brings us to today and I honestly believe both Hearts and Hibs are in the best shape they could be since Wallace Mercer and Tom Hart were at the heart of our respective clubs and I would hope neither will ever again get in to the state they were left in by Duff & Gray at Hibs and more recently, “the Pieman & Romanov” at hearts.

Even with Hart and Mercer at the helm of our respective clubs, our success was carried forward by their astute managers, Turnbull and MacDonald and if we described the scene today, with regard to stadium, training centres and equipment, season ticket sales and the likes, they would suggest we get carried away in straight jackets.

The whole point is that unless a rich benefactor arrives at one or the other of our clubs, I can never again see one or other of our clubs to dominate a derby to the degree that has been a feature of my lifetime. 

Hearts are not having a great time of late, but it won’t last & Hibs are anything but a “wee team”, especially when we are talking about the confines of Scottish football.  Going forward I can only see good things for both of our clubs, but obviously, the usual struggle will go on with the ugly sisters and Aberdeen, who should end up as our nearest [long term] rivals.

I would expect any Hearts fan who expects anything like the level of dominance they had over Hibs over the 32 years to 2015 are in for a huge disappointment and like the Hibs fans before them, they will be in for a miserable existence going forward unless they taper their expectations, both clubs have moved on too far for that level of dominance and I do believe for the most part, both clubs will achieve success in Scotland.  

Hearts supporters expectations are built up by something that has actually happened over a long time. In respect of both league performance and Derby results.

You are saying Hibs are never going to be dominated like before based on currently sitting 4th in the SPL after being in the Championship for 3 seasons and fighting relegation in the SPL before that? 

There was a spell in the 90s where Kilmarmock had a higher average league position than Hibs.

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Hearts supporters expectations are built up by something that has actually happened over a long time. In respect of both league performance and Derby results.

You are saying Hibs are never going to be dominated like before based on currently sitting 4th in the SPL after being in the Championship for 3 seasons and fighting relegation in the SPL before that? 

There was a spell in the 90s where Kilmarmock had a higher average league position than Hibs.

Hibs fans expectations in 1983 were based on dominating the derby for the previous fifteen years before that when Hibs only got beat twice in that time.

3 minutes ago, ray- said:

Hibs fans expectations in 1983 were based on dominating the derby for the previous fifteen years before that when Hibs only got beat twice in that time.

When you were still 20 odd wins behind. Hearts fans still expected to win derbies.

70s is about the only real dominant decade Hibs have had. I think 3 out of 15 decades to be accurate.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

I said at half time last night that we’d run out of gas if the tempo didn’t slow down for us. We were dead on our feet just around the time they scored and there was no chance we could raise ourselves to get back into it. I think we are fitter than under Cathro but we didn’t have enough in the tank left to get back into the game

Generally I think we come out stronger 2nd half of games. First goal really changed it last night. 

Our punch in the final third is chronic. 

First goal gave them adrenalin and momentum us the opposite. 

2 weeks rest must have been a slight edge for us first half and second half them

14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Hard to disagree with him. They are an exceptionally ugly team.

How CAN you say such a thing?

646489DF-5A82-4D90-BC73-74ABAC80137D.jpeg

599D5578-79FF-440F-9ADB-DDED7027CED9.png

76F24956-FB53-4745-8131-2A9AF631EEE2.png

7B263E8A-1A35-47DF-9F8A-F1699C2FE44A.png

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, It should have been ten said:

McGeouch IS what makes them tick.

Lennon did not build their midfield :laugh:

This is a happy clapper saying it's not Levein fault ,he is our problem Lennon is ugly and  a nutter but he is twice the manager Levein is accept it

5 hours ago, All Out Attack said:

The league table never lies.

Hibs are a good team and a huge 12 points plus a game in hand ahead of us. 

McGinn and McGeoch would  improve any team in Scotland, including Celtic. 

No they wouldn’t. 

Neither would get near the Celtic midfield. They released McGeoch ffs and if Celtic wanted mcGinn they would’ve got him easily in the last couple of windows. 

McGeoch is a tidy player but with no end product. McGinn can hold onto the ball but is far too slow in possession for a team like Celtic. They only look like players against dross like us atm

It should have been ten
16 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

This is a happy clapper saying it's not Levein fault ,he is our problem Lennon is ugly and  a nutter but he is twice the manager Levein is accept it

I'm a happy clapper because I said McGeouch runs their midfield? I never once mentioned Levein but just you bash on :conf11:

4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

When you were still 20 odd wins behind. Hearts fans still expected to win derbies.

70s is about the only real dominant decade Hibs have had. I think 3 out of 15 decades to be accurate.

I can only go over the time I’ve spent as a football fan, too young in 1965 to know much about it but when I started going regularly in 68 Hibs had an advantage at that time because they were better at picking up talented youngsters.  This was illustrated by the large money sales from the likes of Stein, Marinello & Cormack and the number of homegrown talent that went on to make up Eddie Turnbull’s team.

Hart then came in and Hibs then had a money advantage as both clubs struggled until then, but on the downside for Hibs, the young talent had long since dried up and this was the beginning of the end of Hibs domination.

By the end of the seventies, Hart had lost interest and sold out to Kenny Waugh and with Wallace Mercer coming in to Hearts in 81, there was the major shift as the Hearts owner had the desire and cash to take hearts forward and the opposite was true of the Hibs man and this carried on until the end of that decade when Hibs nearly went out of business and Mercer continued to invest in his club until he sold out to Chris Robinson and Leslie Deans in 1994.

For the rest of that decade Hearts still had a lot of money spent on their team, but this time it was loans and therefore not coming from a benefactor so the debts soon mounted up.  Hibs played the same game, but to a lesser degree and when the Hibs board called a halt to it, around 2001, they were around 18 million in debt and there then was a serious effort to reduce costs, which included slashing the playing budget.

Much of Hibs debt came from the amount of cash they had given to Jim Duffy and the cash was squandered on second-rate players who took Hibs down and even more money given to McLeish, who brought in a far higher standard, but at a cost and it all fell flat when Hibs downsized and all those players had to go.

Robinson continued to spend the cash and hearts remained on top [in Edinburgh] and then in November 2003 it all came to a head, Robinson told the bank of Scotland he would be selling Tynecastle by the following summer to pay off Hearts debt to them, I think hearts had racked up a debt of something around 24M in all, with Cala Homes agreeing to pay Hearts 20M for their ground and Hearts were proposed to play their games at Murrayfield.

Romanov came in and while taking control of Hearts, promised to pay off the clubs debts and continued to spend big, meanwhile, Hibs were still reducing the debt and the golden generation was being sold off to reduce the debt further.

By 2007 Hearts dominance was still way ahead on the football park but by now hearts debt had risen to 37M and instead of paying it off, Romanov moved it to his financial businesses Ūkio bankas and UBIG and as the 00’s came to a close Hibs had started to spend on infrastructure, their training complex and finally the east stand, Hearts dominance continued.

By the end of the 2013/14 season, Romanov’s antics had nearly ruined Hearts and helped with a fantastic effort by their support in giving financial support, not only had the kept the club operating, they also secured their future, with the help of Ms Budge and a benevolent Lithuanian Government, who allowed hearts to keep hold of Tynecastle and relegation was the punishment.

Hibs at the same time suffered the same indignation, caused by years of mismanagement and poor choices at a board level, with not enough money going towards the team.   Both teams have made major changes since then to the way they had been operating and now, for the first time since I started going to football, both are more or less on an equal footing and a lot more grounded with it and this is the real reason why I think that the long periods of domination, by either club,  are at an end, [rich benefactor apart].    

manaliveits105

Our usual hobo trolls infesting this thread - hibs are an average side - 4th place league doesnt lie - knocked out both cups with ease 

last 3 derbies - draw - Hearts win - Hibs win - exceptional aye ? If Mcleish puts banjo boy in the Scotland team we will be in the dark ages for years to come - arse barging and diving doesnt cut it at international level.

Anthony Brown is a complete imbecile 

20 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Our usual hobo trolls infesting this thread - hibs are an average side - 4th place league doesnt lie - knocked out both cups with ease 

last 3 derbies - draw - Hearts win - Hibs win - exceptional aye ? If Mcleish puts banjo boy in the Scotland team we will be in the dark ages for years to come - arse barging and diving doesnt cut it at international level.

Anthony Brown is a complete imbecile 

McGinn has two caps and was awarded man of the match in both games if you are as bitter and blinkered in other areas of your life, then you are going to miss so much. 

The harsh truth is they have our number just now. Better manager, stronger squad and the fans are right behind them. Settled club from top to bottom. Fans wanting Ann budge out, levein out. Squad overhaul. Changing the squad every summer isn't the answer

17 hours ago, TheBigO said:

The first part of what he says is correct though.  This is an exceptional Hibs team, one of the best in my lifetime (38).  And they're 4th.

Yeah although he gives Stubbs too much credit.  They are way better under Lennon.  They'd still be in the championship with Stubbs.

The idea that Neilson's team couldn't have won at ER is ridiculous.  They got beat at home from teams like Alloa and stuff.

They are probably the 2nd best Hibs team of my lifetime (34) but a pretty big drop off from the Sauzee/Latapy team 

15 hours ago, Spencer said:

Totally this. Hubz know what works for them in midfield, we don’t seem to. They brought in McGinn after they lost Allan the first time, we didn’t appear to have any interest in McGinn at that time. Who’s to say they won’t do good business again and replace whoever leaves. McGeouch may stay with them after all.

Lucille's Thirsty
2 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Wouldn't take any of them in a gift.

Hibs Shite.

This is rubbish OT. Our midfield is dire Allan, McGeouch and McGinn would sleep walk into our best midfield and that’s the reason that Hibs turn us over at ER. That midfield trio in front of McLaughlin, Souttar and Berra. I bet we’d be far more attractive to watch and winning most games. 

Saying all that our defence, goalkeeper and our attackers are better than theirs but we haven’t got a midfield of the quality of Hibs which is why we more often that not go back to front and can’t create away from home.

I bet if we got a quality midfield with the same team we’d see a marked improvement.

Exceptional for Hibs maybe but there's plenty Hearts teams that would beat them at Easter Road.

The difference between the two teams is the midfield and there's plenty Hearts previous midfields that would've smashed the life out the lot. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Wouldn't take any of them in a gift.

Hibs Shite.

That is just nonsense 

Archived