Future Moon and Mars Bases.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

A potential site for a lunar base that ticks off all the boxes may have been found!

safe_image.php?d=AQACJw-keURHnIrG&w=476&
A series of possibly "skylights" have been spotted in the Moon's norther polar region, offering possibilities for future exploration and maybe even a lunar base someday.

UNIVERSETODAY.COM

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that we should never use the word 'never' when discussing space exploration, but I'm of the opinion that human travel to Mars poses significant problems that are still to be solved.  And might never be solved.

It's variously estimated that a trip to Mars would take around 7-8 months.  In that time, human crew would be living in a weightless environment.  No human has ever experienced weightlessness for that length of time.  A few years ago, Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield was aboard the ISS for 5 months.  During that time, he worked for hours every day doing exercises to keep his muscles in good shape.  Nevertheless, when he landed back on earth he had to be lifted out of the capsule, and was completely unable to walk or do anything physical for days.  He was nauseated for weeks.  He relied on other people to perform the most basic of tasks for him.  He was as helpless as a kitten.

Yet the trip to Mars would about 50% longer, and there will be no-one at the Mars end to help the new arrivals.  Based on Hadfield's experiences, it seems impossible that humans would arrive on Mars, disembark, and start to build a station for themselves, grow food, find water, etc.

16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know that we should never use the word 'never' when discussing space exploration, but I'm of the opinion that human travel to Mars poses significant problems that are still to be solved.  And might never be solved.

It's variously estimated that a trip to Mars would take around 7-8 months.  In that time, human crew would be living in a weightless environment.  No human has ever experienced weightlessness for that length of time.  A few years ago, Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield was aboard the ISS for 5 months.  During that time, he worked for hours every day doing exercises to keep his muscles in good shape.  Nevertheless, when he landed back on earth he had to be lifted out of the capsule, and was completely unable to walk or do anything physical for days.  He was nauseated for weeks.  He relied on other people to perform the most basic of tasks for him.  He was as helpless as a kitten.

Yet the trip to Mars would about 50% longer, and there will be no-one at the Mars end to help the new arrivals.  Based on Hadfield's experiences, it seems impossible that humans would arrive on Mars, disembark, and start to build a station for themselves, grow food, find water, etc.

image.png.3ae776dbb5ff658b98263b160d95ac20.png

20 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'd go even further and say that the human race will never live on another planet* and that in fact the idea that we'll just fly away leads us as a species to largely ignore the inevitable problems we face on earth. 

Not a fan of space bollocks, me.

* we may indeed get a moon base though - an expensive, pointless moon base.

10 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nice thought, but there are no clouds on Mars.  :wink:

There will be once we get all that underground oxygen released into the atmosphere. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm firmly of the opinion that if humans don't find a way to get off this planet and inhabit other planets, we won't survive as a species. All our eggs are in the one basket on this planet, and we're shaking that basket more than we should be.

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd go even further and say that the human race will never live on another planet* and that in fact the idea that we'll just fly away leads us as a species to largely ignore the inevitable problems we face on earth. 

Not a fan of space bollocks, me.

* we may indeed get a moon base though - an expensive, pointless moon base.

Not all moon bases are pointless.

42895a4c595e5e194aab3049f3c28c39--ufo-tv

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

They look expensive right enough though!

If we can find ways of mass-producing hair dye at low cost, we'll be fine.

Just now, redjambo said:

If we can find ways of mass-producing hair dye at low cost, we'll be fine.

**** it, put me down for a crater.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not all moon bases are pointless.

42895a4c595e5e194aab3049f3c28c39--ufo-tv

That looks like a cover from a Boney M album.

38 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That’s because Canadians are wimpy pansies.

it will be Scotsmen who colonise Mars, as long as they get to take their chibs with them

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm firmly of the opinion that if humans don't find a way to get off this planet and inhabit other planets, we won't survive as a species. All our eggs are in the one basket on this planet, and we're shaking that basket more than we should be.

I'm firmly of the belief we won't survive as a species and our global political state will prevent us from ever doing anything worthwhile in space.

2 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

That’s because Canadians are wimpy pansies.

it will be Scotsmen who colonise Mars, as long as they get to take their chibs with them

Can't argue with that, but I demand that any Scot who goes to Mars, goes 'commando'.

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

The Ocean’s are where it’s at. We’ve not got half a clue what’s going on underneath there, and what mysteries they hold.

Think we might look to colonize under there in the future. The Year 3000 sounds about right...

This is how I'm picturing jkb

MV5BZmEwNDdiYzYtNjg0My00YTFiLWJjNTItYzA4

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This is how I'm picturing jkb

JKB underwater? Surely more like this:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

JKB underwater? Surely more like this:

giphy.gif

That's me in the background trying to light a bong

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Another way to look at it is, with current propulsion methods, mars is too far away. Who knows what may be discovered / invented in the future. In a 100 years, it might be a week to get to mars.

But they have. 3 Russians have at various times been on Mir for over a year:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight_records&ved=2ahUKEwin-r2G2N3YAhXKB8AKHY90CmUQFjAMegQIEhAB&usg=AOvVaw1EZJYNqdDkO7phGFPxwfq5

I think the issues around fuel and how they get back are the biggest stumbling blocks to any longterm missions. But I'd assume 1 of 2 things could solve that:

1. Remote/robotic fuel production on Mars ahead of any mission,

2. Mars Direct - i.e. send up supplies and shelters then send people and resupply them intermittently. Effectively a one way trip.

It's also a massive political gamble launching folk into the deeper parts of the solar system. Can't imagine the margins for success lend themselves to winning political backing.

Earth to Mars in 40 days, so they say. If they can build a plasma engine.

Space Mackerel

Imagine a space race to Mars involving Trump and Kim Jung Un :wow: 

I hope its on the tele. PPV I would imagine too. 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I'm firmly of the opinion that humans won't survive as a species.  I mean all species go extinct at some point, what's so special about us?

Don't mind me, I'm just here to cheer everyone up. :thumb: 

2 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Earth to Mars in 40 days, so they say. If they can build a plasma engine.

Hopefully better than the one in Star Trek: Voyager. I'm going through the various series at the moment and it feels like they have problems with their plasma injectors or experience plasma leaks every second or third episode.

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

I'm firmly of the opinion that humans won't survive as a species.  I mean all species go extinct at some point, what's so special about us?

Ah, but that's taking a really long-term view. :)

Ok, I'll change my comment then.

I'm firmly of the opinion that if humans don't find a way to get off this planet and inhabit other planets, we won't survive as a species much longer (relatively speaking).

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Ah, but that's taking a really long-term view. :)

Ok, I'll change my comment then.

I'm firmly of the opinion that if humans don't find a way to get off this planet and inhabit other planets, we won't survive as a species much longer (relatively speaking).

:) I was just generally making an erse of myself, not making a serious point.

Like every former teen science geek, I want to see a colony on Mars. I also see the enormous technical limitations.

But, yanno, rotating spacecraft and all that...

5 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I know you weren't asking but thought I'd answer anyway.

The characteristics of the human spirit and the ability to make moral judgements.

Having always claimed to be American and Ugly, Very probably, you now disclose that you are actually a Greek.

6 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Imagine a space race to Mars involving Trump and Kim Jung Un :wow: 

I hope its on the tele. PPV I would imagine too. 

Famous words from Apollo Mission.

"If you can't make it, fake it".

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Barack said:

The Ocean’s are where it’s at. We’ve not got half a clue what’s going on underneath there, and what mysteries they hold.

Think we might look to colonize under there in the future. The Year 3000 sounds about right...

Yeah, Busted sang about. Year 3000 is where its at.

6 hours ago, Ugly American said:

:) I was just generally making an erse of myself, not making a serious point.

Like every former teen science geek, I want to see a colony on Mars. I also see the enormous technical limitations.

But, yanno, rotating spacecraft and all that...

Generally my modus operandi too.

Suspended animation. Until we can get through the folds and curves in space-time (if you don't mind me applying 3-D terminology to higher-dimension constructs) , it's the only way I think the human body will endure long-distance travel.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Generally my modus operandi too.

Suspended animation. Until we can get through the folds and curves in space-time (if you don't mind me applying 3-D terminology to higher-dimension constructs) , it's the only way I think the human body will endure long-distance travel.

We? If it ever actually does happen it'll no be us going, it'll be a few hundred of the richest men in the world, their slutty mistresses and the necessary scientists and trades. They're not making 8 billion seats, the likes of us and our offspring won't be going just to use up their precious resources, we'll be left to rot while they "save humanity"

9 hours ago, alfajambo said:

I know you weren't asking but thought I'd answer anyway.

The characteristics of the human spirit and the ability to make moral judgements.

Having always claimed to be American and Ugly, Very probably, you now disclose that you are actually a Greek.

Sorry, you lost me on this one.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

We? If it ever actually does happen it'll no be us going, it'll be a few hundred of the richest men in the world, their slutty mistresses and the necessary scientists and trades. They're not making 8 billion seats, the likes of us and our offspring won't be going just to use up their precious resources, we'll be left to rot while they "save humanity"

Nah, they'll be shipping us all off to Mars to scrape out a meager living in an incredibly dangerous and hostile environment while they keep Earth to themselves...

23 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Sorry, you lost me on this one.

Blimey.

That’s thrown a spanner in the works.

Earth's population is growing at the rate of about 1.5 million per WEEK.

Whatever reasons can be invented for establishing a colony on Mars, solving the over-population problem isn't one of them.

27 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Someone will settle on the moon.

Someone else will follow them.

They will fight.

Marvellous.

The reason why humans have made it this far.

Also the reason why we may well not make it much further.

At some point we have to become genuinely collaborative and supportive of one another and our ecosystem as an entire race. If we don't, we're not going anywhere.

AlphonseCapone

Mind there was a TV company (Endemol, same as BB?) taking applications for a one way trip to Mars.

21 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Mind there was a TV company (Endemol, same as BB?) taking applications for a one way trip to Mars.

Buzz Aldrin is a big advocate of Mars exploration but he is also stating that is would be one-way for the simple reason that designing a lander that would have sufficient fuel to take off again in Mars gravity and have propulsion to return to earth would be massive.  They would almost need a Saturn-5 machine on Mars to get them back.  Which means a ginormous machine to get them and the Saturn-5 equivalent there.  

The option is to build it in space and launch from earth-orbit or the moon, but a straight earth-launch and return is not sustainable.

15 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

Buzz Aldrin is a big advocate of Mars exploration but he is also stating that is would be one-way for the simple reason that designing a lander that would have sufficient fuel to take off again in Mars gravity and have propulsion to return to earth would be massive.  They would almost need a Saturn-5 machine on Mars to get them back.  Which means a ginormous machine to get them and the Saturn-5 equivalent there.  

The option is to build it in space and launch from earth-orbit or the moon, but a straight earth-launch and return is not sustainable.

How about a geo-stationary space station above Mars with a cable structure attached to the surface, up and down which a transport shuttle can move?

maroonlegions
20 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

NASA are working on it.

They seem quite confidant that it will be achievable someday, new teck is always  being developed, still early days in the advancement  of space exportation.

The race to Mars is on.

Lockheed Martin and NASA have teamed up. Together, the 2 companies aim to build Mars Base Camp, the first Mars space station.

NASA - Multifunction Mars Base

www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/multimedia/artgallery/art_feature_004_C91-8781.html
Multifunction Mars Base. On their way to perform surface experiments, two residents of the first Martian outpost pause to look at their home. ...

NASA Mars Makers | Mars Exploration Program

mars.nasa.gov/mars-makers/
Mars makers invent products & ideas that connect to the spirit of exploring Mars ... NASA MARS MAKERS ... design a utilitarian Mars base that can ...

Mars planet facts news & images | NASA Mars rover ...

mars.nasa.gov/
Exploration of the Planet Mars - missions, videos, images and information

Mars planet facts news & images | NASA Mars rover ...

mars.nasa.gov/resources/21357/
Access Mars allows any member of the public to explore the discoveries of NASA's Curiosity rover.

maroonlegions

And more for anyone interested.

[PDF] Mars’ Orbit - NASA

www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/environmental-considerations-human-base-on-mars-hls2-hangouts.pdf
rendezvous with stack in Mars orbit for check-out. Transit stack ... Environmental Considerations for a Human Base on Mars P. 24. Pre-decisional, For ...

2020 Mission Plans | Mars Exploration Program

mars.nasa.gov/programmissions/missions/future/mars2020/
Exploration of the Planet Mars - missions, videos, images and information

NASA's Journey to Mars | NASA

www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars/
NASA is developing the capabilities needed to send humans to an asteroid by 2025 and Mars in the 2030s – goals outlined in the bipartisan NASA ...

A New Home on Mars: NASA Langley’s Icy Concept for Red ...

www.nasa.gov/feature/langley/a-new-home-on-mars-nasa-langley-s-icy-concept-for-living-on-the-red-planet/
For researchers at NASA’s Langley Research Center, the best building material for a new home on Mars may lie in an unexpected material: Ice.

13 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Now that was clever.  :thumbsup:

(Unless of course I've misinterpreted, in which case.......  :runaway: )

21 hours ago, redjambo said:

This.

Space exploration and inhabitation of other planets is crucial to long-term human survival. Even if we don't destroy the planet ourselves, a natural disaster could well do it for us.

Archived