Rodney Bewes

Jam Tarts 1874

Jam Tarts 1874

Sad to hear Rodney Bewes has passed away.

Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads was (and still is) one of my all time favourites.

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, Jam Tarts 1874 said:

Sad to hear Rodney Bewes has passed away.

Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads was (and still is) one of my all time favourites.

Sad to hear that.

Still watch repeats when possible

Also one of my all time favourites.

Pity that him and James Bolam never settled their differences.

Hannibal Lecter

The Likely Lads was class. He was brilliant as Bob.

The episode where they try to avoid finding out the football score is top quality.

Placid Casual
19 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecter said:

The Likely Lads was class. He was brilliant as Bob.

The episode where they try to avoid finding out the football score is top quality.

“ENGLAND FLOODED OUT” :lol:

Sawdust Caesar

Saw him at the festival on Richard Whiteley's chat show, he was a good guest.

One of my favourite gags from the show is when Bob turns up at Terry's house and Terry is drinking a can of beer and says to Bob "I'd give you a beer but I've only got 6 left".

Neilson's Shank

Likely Lads was great social commentary for the early 1970s, Bob & Thelma's aspiration versus Terry'smoking,  drinking and womanising. Loved it, well written and acted by two top actors. The supporting cast was strong as well.  Another part of my childhood gone.

30 minutes ago, Neilson's Shank said:

Likely Lads was great social commentary for the early 1970s, Bob & Thelma's aspiration versus Terry'smoking,  drinking and womanising. Loved it, well written and acted by two top actors. The supporting cast was strong as well.  Another part of my childhood gone.

As a young person it was so easy to relate to the characters. A good sign of any great acting is an affinity with the cast. They had it spot on.

His dead pan delivery was great.

RIP.  

scott herbertson

Got the boxed set of the Likely lads/ whatever happened to

terrific writing by Clement and Le Frenais - they really understood working class behaviour and humour. Simply brilliant and Bob was a great character with Bewes perfect for the role.

was very sad that him and Bolam never settled their differences - Bolam seemed to hold a grudge

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Got the boxed set of the Likely lads/ whatever happened to

terrific writing by Clement and Le Frenais - they really understood working class behaviour and humour. Simply brilliant and Bob was a great character with Bewes perfect for the role.

was very sad that him and Bolam never settled their differences - Bolam seemed to hold a grudge

As James Bolam was a very private person it pissed  him off when Rodney told a newspaper that Bolam's wife was pregnant.

scott herbertson

The theme tune was written by Mike Hugg (of Manfred Mann Fame). He also wrote the Porridge theme tune and the theme tune to the film Up the Junction which is one of my to favourite them tunes of all time (the other one being John arts them to the persuaders)

unfortunately on the youtube copies of the opening credits to Up the Junction have been deleted but here’s the band Eleanor Rigbys rather nice (but not as biting as the original) 1995 version with the original film open titles

scott herbertson
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

As James Bolam was a very private person it pissed  him off when Rodney told a newspaper that Bolam's wife was pregnant.

Yes , I heard Bewes tell the story on the radio last year. He was adamant he hadn’t realised it wasn’t public knowledge - just came out in the interview. He tried to apologise but Bolam refused to speak to him . That was only his version of course.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Yes , I heard Bewes tell the story on the radio last year. He was adamant he hadn’t realised it wasn’t public knowledge - just came out in the interview. He tried to apologise but Bolam refused to speak to him . That was only his version of course.

It does seem a trivial thing to fall out over but as you say just one version.

Bewes was perfect as Bob as Bolam was as Terry. Writers got time to develop characters and actors got time to play them back then. Great comedy in the days when the BBC knew how to do it. RIP Rodney Bowes. 

ToadKiller Dog

Shame, great actor, 

Terry and Bob great comedy perfect pairing with a magic script. 

Bob always looking for a wee bit on the side the rogue.  

Thought the Likely Lads was excellent. Sad to hear James Bolan fell out with him and refused to talk to him over the last 40 years.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

For most people, a stern telling off would suffice for that. To never speak again is ridiculously OTT. A real pity because the LL was even more successful 2nd time around and the 2 has previously been good friends.

Thelma, Bob, Terry and his latest bursd playing cards in a caravan. Terry pops out and the other three squirm with embarrassment at the audible sound of him peeing. 

"first time we've known what's in his hand all night" says Thelma. 

I think it was the film version. 

43 minutes ago, martoon said:

Thelma, Bob, Terry and his latest bursd playing cards in a caravan. Terry pops out and the other three squirm with embarrassment at the audible sound of him peeing. 

"first time we've known what's in his hand all night" says Thelma. 

I think it was the film version. 

Brigit Forsyth an Edinburgh lassie.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Brigit Forsyth an Edinburgh lassie.

I recall being surprised when I first read that. I'd also assumed that she'd been a mainstay of the original Likely Lads. Apparently not. One fleeting appearance and the odd reference only.

I think I've only ever seen the last episode of the original. Many were wiped it seems.

Sawdust Caesar
15 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

The theme tune was written by Mike Hugg (of Manfred Mann Fame). He also wrote the Porridge theme tune and the theme tune to the film Up the Junction which is one of my to favourite them tunes of all time (the other one being John arts them to the persuaders)

unfortunately on the youtube copies of the opening credits to Up the Junction have been deleted but here’s the band Eleanor Rigbys rather nice (but not as biting as the original) 1995 version with the original film open titles

I also like the theme tune to Up The Junction. I bought the single in picture cover at a record fair which had a still from the scene with Suzy Kendall on it, whom I had a serious teenage crush on after I saw the film. Mind you being a young mod I fancied any lass in fab 60s gear in those days. I think even Maureen Lipman looked alright back then. Cheers for that link, I haven't heard that version before.

Sorry for going off topic.

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, martoon said:

I recall being surprised when I first read that. I'd also assumed that she'd been a mainstay of the original Likely Lads. Apparently not. One fleeting appearance and the odd reference only.

I think I've only ever seen the last episode of the original. Many were wiped it seems.

Only 8 episodes remain - I have a dvd box set which includes them.

ToadKiller Dog
2 hours ago, AWM said:

Always thought there was space for a 3rd reincarnation of the likely lads,it may have worked if it had the original duo Clement and lefernier writing . 

The two of them placed in 90s lad culture and new Labour  may have worked if the writing was as good as earlier. 

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Only 8 episodes remain - I have a dvd box set which includes them.

Any good? 

I love the work of Clement and Le Frenais, particularly Auf Weidershen, Porridge and Whatever...

I'll have a look for eps online. 

44 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Always thought there was space for a 3rd reincarnation of the likely lads,it may have worked if it had the original duo Clement and lefernier writing . 

The two of them placed in 90s lad culture and new Labour  may have worked if the writing was as good as earlier. 

Probably would have worked. Terry still causing Bob and Thelma grief in retirement. 

Ant and Dec had a go. Never seen it but I think they did the football one. Not up to much, apparently. 

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

Probably would have worked. Terry still causing Bob and Thelma grief in retirement. 

Ant and Dec had a go. Never seen it but I think they did the football one. Not up to much, apparently. 

4 minutes ago, AWM said:

Cheers. 

I'll give it a try. Apparently Rodney Bewes makes an appearance. 

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, martoon said:

Any good? 

I love the work of Clement and Le Frenais, particularly Auf Weidershen, Porridge and Whatever...

I'll have a look for eps online. 

Long time since they watched them (and they,re in Birnam and I’m in Surbiton for a couple of weeks) - IIRC they’re a bit dated but still worth a watch. The Terry joining the army episode was good

liked the wedding episode and the first episode of Whatever Happened 

3 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Long time since they watched them (and they,re in Birnam and I’m in Surbiton for a couple of weeks) - IIRC they’re a bit dated but still worth a watch. The Terry joining the army episode was good

liked the wedding episode and the first episode of Whatever Happened 

Aye. The train episode is great. The pilot of Porridge and ep 1 of Going Straight, also involving train journeys, were excellent too. 

Archived