Aberdeen.

Harry Potter

A thread saying how bad Hearts fans are, what about Aberdeen fans,13918 turn up

for a team challenging for the title and playing good football, beyond me .

Least we jambos still trot along to watch our team, through thick and thin.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I think their fans are similar to hibs in that their bubble is burst very easily and the way celtic brushed them aside last week has seen a quick drop off. Nearly 14k is not bad for them though when they were down below 10k not so long ago.

7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

And moan and criticise and pretty much hammer the team at every given opportunity. Can understand why the majority can't be arsed.

Hearts supporters are an embarrassment. It's little wonder the players down tools at the slightest hint of trouble. It's exactly what the majority of the supporters do.

A one team city, it is disappointing. They have a hard core of fans like most Clubs and it's not that big but a lot of them seem to like the away day and that's why they support in big numbers at other grounds. They know they won't win the league like all of us anytime soon but they can really challenge for the Cups so it is strange that Hearts and Hibs are pulling in substantially more fans  whilst Aberdeen are playing better and being more succesful, consolidating their position as the second best team in the country. If McInnes and some of their best players leave and they start to fall away in the next year or two, they will find it harder to recruit quality and it will be interesting to see how many turn up then. They need to realise it ain't going to get much better than it is now and should be pulling in more fans.

crichiejambos

They won the league cup couple seasons ago they moaned about ticket allocation for the final fair enough,following home game just over 10k!!!!! Sad bit about it is they are the only team in the area they've no direct rivals except Cove Rangers and Peterhead

they are no  gonna affect an home game attendance! Aberdeen fans don't relise how lucky they are if McInnes fecks off to Rangers they'll know soon enough.

manaliveits105

To be fair its a fair treck from the central belt when your hitting 50 years old and your anorak is faded 

When im on the subject of crowds Motherwell had just over 6000 with 2000 hibs fans in the ground .

4th in the league in the league cup final,  another lot that dont turn up.

Anyway im away to work.

Motherwell isn't a big place, and as J61 says the town is more cursed with OF zombies than most. 6k good going for them.

Must admit, if I was an Aberdeen supporter I'd be a bit down if my manager, and one or two top players, were angling to sod off to Ibroke for wages on HP.

michael_bolton

Aberdeen have a peculiar situation. Their away support is boosted by the number of students and young people from Aberdeen who move to study in the central belt. These people are prime football-going age and suddenly find themselves within easy reach of pretty much all away games. It's not as if all these people are travelling from Aberdeen every other week. I remember being at uni and being struck by how many Aberdeen supporters I met. The unis in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, UWS and dozens of colleges etc. All attract people from up north.

It also explains the good away support compared to relatively poor home support. A lot of these  students (wisely in my view) prioritise away games and days out over going to Pittodrie. As a teenager and when I was in my early twenties I knew a large number of Aberdeen supporters who went to most away games, but only went up to Aberdeen for big games, maybe three or four times a season.

crichiejambos
1 hour ago, Anderson5 said:

That is a shocking stat. 

Although sadly made up.  

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26589844

O dear was out a bit out with my figures! Knew it was a crap attendance it was highlighted at the time by the press,first cup win in ages moan about how much tickets they did or didn't get for a cup final then the  following week a home game after winning it and they couldn't sell out....Mm sorry that's poor. I know watching that particular final would have put you into a coma,but still a cup wins a cup win.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was driving along the Corstorphine road towards town about two hours before yesterday's game and two of the first Rangers buses parked up were from Aberdeen I noticed. There lies the problem which is country wide unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

14k home crowd is pretty decent. Not sure what the actual claim is here?

I guess given there was an extra 6,500 at the Celtic game midweek it's quite a drop.

airdriejambo3
9 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

And moan and criticise and pretty much hammer the team at every given opportunity. Can understand why the majority can't be arsed.

Hearts supporters are an embarrassment. It's little wonder the players down tools at the slightest hint of trouble. It's exactly what the majority of the supporters do.

This in fighting between Hearts fans is the embarrassment, wait until we are back at our home to judge. There is a reason why fans and players always love the atmosphere at Tynecastle and its not because we down tools at the slightest hint of trouble.

MacDonald Jardine
2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I was driving along the Corstorphine road towards town about two hours before yesterday's game and two of the first Rangers buses parked up were from Aberdeen I noticed. There lies the problem which is country wide unfortunately.

To be fair Aberdeen suffer less than most from this.

Aberdeen do incredibly well considering their poor home support. They’ll never reach the attendances of us or the vermin but are comfortably above the likes of St Johnstone and Kilmarnock so credit to their manager.

their support still live in the early 1980’s though 

All roads lead to Gorgie
22 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

To be fair Aberdeen suffer less than most from this.

I suppose the remoteness from the central belt helps but with the oil industry there a large part of the city is taken up with workers from elsewhere. I suppose some of them and their families are bound to be rangers fans but the indigenous Aberdonians have little excuse other than the old glory hunting ploy. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm not an aggressive person but the whinging ****er in West 10 k yesterday really got on my nerves. Loved himself more than the JTs for sure 

MacDonald Jardine
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I suppose the remoteness from the central belt helps but with the oil industry there a large part of the city is taken up with workers from elsewhere. I suppose some of them and their families are bound to be rangers fans but the indigenous Aberdonians have little excuse other than the old glory hunting ploy. 

You're right but I worked in Aberdeen in the mid 90s and my experience was there were less Old Firm fans than you would find elsewhere, at least at that time. 

13 hours ago, michael_bolton said:

Aberdeen have a peculiar situation. Their away support is boosted by the number of students and young people from Aberdeen who move to study in the central belt. These people are prime football-going age and suddenly find themselves within easy reach of pretty much all away games. It's not as if all these people are travelling from Aberdeen every other week. I remember being at uni and being struck by how many Aberdeen supporters I met. The unis in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, UWS and dozens of colleges etc. All attract people from up north.

It also explains the good away support compared to relatively poor home support. A lot of these  students (wisely in my view) prioritise away games and days out over going to Pittodrie. As a teenager and when I was in my early twenties I knew a large number of Aberdeen supporters who went to most away games, but only went up to Aberdeen for big games, maybe three or four times a season.

Very good post , still say Hearts and even hibs are more loyal to their teams.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Very good post , still say Hearts and even hibs are more loyal to their teams.

Cant agree that that bud.

Hibs attendances two years ago were criminal....8000-9000 most weeks at ER.

SC win and it nearly doubles so in my eyes that not really being loyal.

15 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Cant agree that that bud.

Hibs attendances two years ago were criminal....8000-9000 most weeks at ER.

SC win and it nearly doubles so in my eyes that not really being loyal.

That big cup win deffo made a huge difference, very good point . 

Our crowds haven't been too bad this season. ST sales over 11k and decent walk up crowds on top of that. We are doing well results wise without playing scintillating football but we are all realistic enough to know that we can't win the league as Celtic are just way too good for us or anyone else in Scotland. I sat in the south stand and watched them tear us apart the other night it was 3-0 but really should have been a minimum 5-0 scoreline such was their dominance. They can do that to any team up here when they put their minds to it. They absolutely destroyed us.

We've had 8 home games this season to date and the crowds have been pretty decent. Certainly well up on last year.

Siroki - 17k.

Limassol - 20k. 

Hamilton - 15k.

Dundee - 15k.

Kilmarnock - 15k.

St Johnstone - 15k.

Celtic - 20.5k.

Ross County - 14k.

We are basically averaging 16.5k so far this season which isn't bad considering we haven't yet hosted Rangers, Hibs or Hearts. 

Can't really understand why a thread has has been made about this. I could understand it if only 10k or so we're turning up (which was the case in some home games last season). But so far we are well up on that this season so don't really get why some are making an issue of it. To average 16.5k after 8 homes games in Scotland when (Celtic apart) we haven't yet hosted the three other best supported Scottish teams I'd say isn't too bad at all. 

Archived