Gamesmanship.

Busby8

This is about the only term you can use to describe why Hamilton would bring out the sprinklers for astro turf at half time and soak only the Hearts defensive half of the field.

I mean sprinklers.............. for astro turf !!  ................ really ??

Seymour M Hersh

This is about the only term you can use to describe why Hamilton would bring out the sprinklers for astro turf at half time and soak only the Hearts defensive half of the field.

You do need to water it to keep the ball rolling at pace over the surface as when it's dry the ball will run slowly and stick.  However only doing it in the half they are attacking is pretty poor. 

It's normal.  Wet astro of that type is actually safer, and the ball bounces better.  When it's dry you can catch your footing on it and get backspin on bounces.

I mean sprinklers.............. for astro turf !! ................ really ??

You clearly don't know much about AstroTurf. Keeping the astroturf wet allows the ball to move more freely and to bounce better. If the astroturf dries up too much due to the heat or just lack of water on it, the ball sticks on turf when played on the deck and hardly bounces what so ever when long balls are played.

And btw they used the sprinklers on both sides of the pitch, not just our defences side.

Rudi Hates Hibees

I'm pretty sure both sides had the sprinklers on them at halftime. They certainly did before the game.

:lol:

I'm pretty sure both sides had the sprinklers on them at halftime. They certainly did before the game.

Correct.  They didn't have both on at the same time, that's all.  Maybe having both running affects the water pressure.

You clearly don't know much about AstroTurf. Keeping the astroturf wet allows the ball to move more freely and to bounce better. If the astroturf dries up too much due to the heat or just lack of water on it, the ball sticks on turf when played on the deck and hardly bounces what so ever when long balls are played.

And btw they used the sprinklers on both sides of the pitch, not just our defences side.

Clearly I don't.

I'm eternally thankful for the valued input from our resident astro turf supremo.

I'm Clearly spending too much time on other less important matters and should have researched my topic more before posting.

Oh ............. and btw,................ the sprinklers were only deployed at the Hearts defensive end at half time prior to the second half starting.

It's normal.  Wet astro of that type is actually safer, and the ball bounces better.  When it's dry you can catch your footing on it and get backspin on bounces.

Cheers, wasn't aware.

Clearly I don't.

I'm eternally thankful for the valued input from our resident astro turf supremo.

I'm Clearly spending too much time on other less important matters and should have researched my topic more before posting.

Oh ............. and btw,................ the sprinklers were only deployed at the Hearts defensive end at half time prior to the second half starting.

Sorry Busby8.......the sprinklers were deployed on both ends of the park at HT yesterday as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Defo on both side as my mate commented at first if Hamilton were only wetting their attacking half. When the hearts team came out Alexander had to run round the water that was being sprayed

Defo on both side as my mate commented at first if Hamilton were only wetting their attacking half. When the hearts team came out Alexander had to run round the water that was being sprayed

"Alexander had to run round the water that was being sprayed" Are you sure that wasn't the slavers from Chick Dungs mouth.

"Alexander had to run round the water that was being sprayed" Are you sure that wasn't the slavers from Chick Dungs mouth.

They did both halves separately so no advantage gained. The ball didn't stick as much under the players feet in the second half so was clearly an advantage to play on a moist playing surface

They watered down the side closest to us before kick off, and then we swapped sides so that was Hamilton's defense.

Would it be wrong to suggest that pitch has played a part in their strong home record - someone said they were unbeaten at home since February?

Sorry Busby8.......the sprinklers were deployed on both ends of the park at HT yesterday as mentioned earlier in the thread.

If they did bud, then I missed it.

Wasn't watching what was happening right through half time and only became aware of it latterly with about 10 minutes or so before the second half started when they were on only in the Hearts defensive half.

Put my hands up to this if they had them on in the other half prior to that.

Anyway, as previously stated, thought that altering the playing surface only in one half was no more than gamesmanship. Nothing more.

Rudolf's Mate

Getting beyond a joke. Can someone give clarification on whether or not the sprinklers were deployed both ends?

Only photographic proof will suffice!

Another Robbo

Getting beyond a joke. Can someone give clarification on whether or not the sprinklers were deployed both ends?

Only photographic proof will suffice!

can't speak for before the game but they were definitely on in both halves at half time. No photos sorry...

Rudolf's Mate

can't speak for before the game but they were definitely on in both halves at half time. No photos sorry...

:lol:

It was tongue in cheek but thanks anyway ;)

jack D and coke

If you've ever played on these pitches they need watered. The ball can get stuck under your feet and your studs get stuck in it otherwise.

They play far better watered.

Are we blaming this now? :cornette:

They are much better when watered, the ball moves much better off the surface but plastic pitches in professional football are shite imo.

If you've ever played on these pitches they need watered. The ball can get stuck under your feet and your studs get stuck in it otherwise.

They play far better watered.

Are we blaming this now? :cornette:

No.

jack D and coke

No.

At the end of the day it's their home ground and you do things to give yourself an advantage at home. If they watered the pitch to suit them then I don't think that's breaking any rules is it?

At the end of the day it's their home ground and you do things to give yourself an advantage at home. If they watered the pitch to suit them then I don't think that's breaking any rules is it?

Have you read the title of this thread ?

No they didn't , only one side of the pitch had sprinklers on, and I was in the ground when the turnstiles first opened. I actually said this to my son also about gamesmanship, but to be honest, we weren't at our best yesterday.

They are much better when watered, the ball moves much better off the surface but plastic pitches in professional football are shite imo.

This.  Close thread.

Jambof3tornado

Would it be wrong to suggest that pitch has played a part in their strong home record - someone said they were unbeaten at home since February?

Maybe but its a new surface that was laid in the summer.

Think the fact they are a hard working side has more impact on their home form than the astroturf to be honest.

Archived