Arbroath tickets

mitch41

The Treasurer

I might be wrong but I don't think it goes to the club, I'm sure it goes to Ticketmaster since it's bought through their eticketing system.

On another note I'd agree that the club could do more to publicise the game. If you don't go looking for information you're not likely to know much about it. I don't even recall the club sharing ticketing information much on social media after the initial announcement about prices. There's no harm in resharing ticketing information in the lead up to the match, reminding folk they can print at home and encourage them to see our new signings in competitive action.

Not having a go at you personally JJ but what more information do people need ?

The game is featured on the club website, it's listed on the SPFL website, it's listed in newspaper and TV fixtures lists.

Short of taking out expensive billboard space or TV/radio airtime I don't really see what more the club can do.

If fans can't be bothered to spend ?12 to watch the first competitive match of the season, when it's been widely mentioned that a fairly strong team will be on show, then it kind of blows the "fans right behind what the club is doing" idea

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had actually forgotten this game was on so, yes, the club could be doing a lot more to advertise this game

I had actually forgotten this game was on so, yes, the club could be doing a lot more to advertise this game

See above post. What do you propose they do?

scott herbertson

There's not much more Rudolf, but I am surprised that the club doesn't use e mail more - an e mail to all registered members advertising the game (say, last Friday) might have reminded a few people to make arrangements, buy tickets etc. They could also have included an offer of a cheaper ticket for season ticket holders or some other incentive.

These games are difficult to sell. I enjoy them and if I had had more notice (ie if the draw had been made sooner) I would have travelled up for both this and the st johnstone game as a package (I am a ST holder but have to pick and choose my games as I live in London)

Maroon Sailor

Why bother printing tickets for this match or sending them by email to be printed off ?

Pay a tenner or fiver on the night and put a little jingle on Radio Forth !

That way you have more chance of capturing people who are undecided if they want to go right up to the last minute

Gorgie_Rules

Oops, just woken up...

Same question, but for tomorrow night?

Can buy a ticket at the ticket office just before the game, give yourself 10 - 15mins to queue

Reckon the club should just open the Gorgie and make it a cash gate

Some points are right though.

Apart from giving ST holders a chance at first to claim their seats, they really should just make these games pay at the gate.

What`s the chances of say 10.000 fans turning up over and above the ST holders who claim their seats first?  Instead of 8, 9 or maybe just breaking 10,000 you might end up with a 12, 13,000 gate.

The Treasurer

There's not much more Rudolf, but I am surprised that the club doesn't use e mail more - an e mail to all registered members advertising the game (say, last Friday) might have reminded a few people to make arrangements, buy tickets etc. They could also have included an offer of a cheaper ticket for season ticket holders or some other incentive.

These games are difficult to sell. I enjoy them and if I had had more notice (ie if the draw had been made sooner) I would have travelled up for both this and the st johnstone game as a package (I am a ST holder but have to pick and choose my games as I live in London)

Again nothing aimed at you personally Scott as you obviously make a huge effort to attend as many games as possible, but most fans are either on social media, read the club website, Kickback, newspapers, watch TV etc and the game has been fairly well publicised if not "advertised" on all of these since the draw was made.

I find it hard to believe that there are Hearts fans who are not aware of this match without a personal "invitation" via e-mail from the club.

Around 9000 Hearts fans paid ?18 to watch a meaningless kickabout on Sunday but it looks like we're struggling to get half that number to pay ?12 to watch a proper competitive game. I just can't get my head round that

PhoenixHearts

I'll be there. I'll be alone, but I'll be there. Swear I get to more games than all my mates that live in Scotland all year round.

Again nothing aimed at you personally Scott as you obviously make a huge effort to attend as many games as possible, but most fans are either on social media, read the club website, Kickback, newspapers, watch TV etc and the game has been fairly well publicised if not "advertised" on all of these since the draw was made.

I find it hard to believe that there are Hearts fans who are not aware of this match without a personal "invitation" via e-mail from the club.

Around 9000 Hearts fans paid ?18 to watch a meaningless kickabout on Sunday but it looks like we're struggling to get half that number to pay ?12 to watch a proper competitive game. I just can't get my head round that

Agree.  

We_are_the_Hearts

Think we need to up the Social Media PR.................." First competitive game of the season"..."Tynecastle Debuts for Blazej and Juanma"......just a bit of imagination and persistence to try and sway the fencers. Some of us will be there no matter what but it's the ones who easily find something else to do we should be aiming at. Personal email can appeal to some as well.

The Treasurer

I'll be there. I'll be alone, but I'll be there. Swear I get to more games than all my mates that live in Scotland all year round.

You'll not be alone, it's Tynecastle, not fester road,  :tiny:

scott herbertson

It is a regular thing - with the advent of most fans having season tickets there is no habit of regularly walking up and buying a ticket, and the matches outside the season ticket ones are therefore not considered standard fare but luxuries 

I agree that the vast majority of fans know there is a league cup game (but I had to check at the weekend to see which day it was) but I disagree that it would make no difference if they were contacted by the club, reminded and encouraged to attend. It's not a duty to attend games for everyone, and the Phil Anderton marketing campaigns demonstrated quite clearly that if you advertise it can have impact. An e mail would cost very little to send but might encourage another 50, 100 or 200 to attend so is worthwhile IMO.

On a side point I know very little about Arbroath (the current side) so a little marketing of them as opponents (can we beat their 36-0 total  :2thumbsup: ) and their history (Andy Webster etc) might also generate a bit more interest.

PhoenixHearts

You'll not be alone, it's Tynecastle, not fester road,  :tiny:

Lovely way to put it. :pleased:

Taking my stepdaughter to the game. Expect to be a good hundred or so down by the time we leave the club shop.

Some points are right though.

Apart from giving ST holders a chance at first to claim their seats, they really should just make these games pay at the gate.

What`s the chances of say 10.000 fans turning up over and above the ST holders who claim their seats first?  Instead of 8, 9 or maybe just breaking 10,000 you might end up with a 12, 13,000 gate.

If it was all pay at the gate, how do you plan on how many stands to open, how many catering kiosks to be open, how much policing to have, loyalty point allocation, etc. etc.?  The problem with giving ST holders first dibs to keep their seats for a game like this would mean we would then have to open up all 4 stands when you can see by the ticket sales that there is no need. 

Making it all ticket means this can all be planned in advance and we don't need to waste any money on anything unnecessary.  We need to remain frugal and make every bit of money count.

Maroon Sailor

For matches like this I would open up the Main Stand and the Gorgie Road End with the option of purchasing tickets in advance for the centre stand and pay on the gate for the rest.

I am always amazed at the poor turn out we get for cup games like this.....

Why anyone would choose a friendly against Everton (where we were liable to be pumped, make numerous substitutions etc. etc.) over a competitive cup match (1st competitive game of the season, cheap tickets, chance to see new signings, likelihood of seeing a few Hearts goals) is beyond me.

It is a regular thing - with the advent of most fans having season tickets there is no habit of regularly walking up and buying a ticket, and the matches outside the season ticket ones are therefore not considered standard fare but luxuries 

I agree that the vast majority of fans know there is a league cup game (but I had to check at the weekend to see which day it was) but I disagree that it would make no difference if they were contacted by the club, reminded and encouraged to attend. It's not a duty to attend games for everyone, and the Phil Anderton marketing campaigns demonstrated quite clearly that if you advertise it can have impact. An e mail would cost very little to send but might encourage another 50, 100 or 200 to attend so is worthwhile IMO.

On a side point I know very little about Arbroath (the current side) so a little marketing of them as opponents (can we beat their 36-0 total  :2thumbsup: ) and their history (Andy Webster etc) might also generate a bit more interest.

The cost will depend on what Marketing Automation software (if any) the club use and what their license covers, it may be that the email volume within the license is used up for Season Tickets & Strip launches with a buffer left over for special announcements leaving no room to use direct marketing for a one-off game. 

Dalstonjambo

Re the email stuff - I know most of us know about it, but an email reminding people it's the first competitive game and it's cheap costs very little and surely can't hurt? I remember the club saying there was something like 30k people on the email list, how much time would it take someone at the club to put an email together selling the game?

As an example, I'm on the Aston Villa email list as I bought a ticket for my father in Law for his birthday one year. I get at least an email a week from them advertising the club shop or something like that, as well as any cup/lower profile league games (as I guess this is where they struggle to sell out). 

Whilst we might all know, there are lapsed fans who could be captured by this method, and its costs very little time and probably no money. 

Why anyone would choose a friendly against Everton (where we were liable to be pumped, make numerous substitutions etc. etc.) over a competitive cup match (1st competitive game of the season, cheap tickets, chance to see new signings, likelihood of seeing a few Hearts goals) is beyond me.

I 100% agree with you. I fine it strange & would pick the competitive game every time.

Each to their own I suppose & at ?18 a ticket for the friendly, hopefully the club made a profit.

Re the email stuff - I know most of us know about it, but an email reminding people it's the first competitive game and it's cheap costs very little and surely can't hurt? I remember the club saying there was something like 30k people on the email list, how much time would it take someone at the club to put an email together selling the game?

As an example, I'm on the Aston Villa email list as I bought a ticket for my father in Law for his birthday one year. I get at least an email a week from them advertising the club shop or something like that, as well as any cup/lower profile league games (as I guess this is where they struggle to sell out). 

Whilst we might all know, there are lapsed fans who could be captured by this method, and its costs very little time and probably no money. 

See my post above regarding costs, Villa will see it as either a returnable investment or an acceptable cost where the costs may be more prohibitive to Hearts.

Getintaethem

This.

Haven't been to a friendly but wouldn't miss this one. Can't wait to see us in competitive action.

Maybe the chance to see top premiership players has got something to do with it.

This.

Haven't been to a friendly but wouldn't miss this one. Can't wait to see us in competitive action.

Me too neither have my 3 mates first game of the season for all of us.

Picked tickets up just now. According to TO, only the Wheatfield is open, seats left in A, B and G upper, and all the lower sections

Are there LP's available for his game?  I'll buy a ticket if so, if not I'll just go to the cash gate.

see post below your, emails to those registered, cost free to the club  

Maroon Sailor

Cash gate tomorrow, Gorgie Stand

Is that your wish or what you know ?

If it was all pay at the gate, how do you plan on how many stands to open, how many catering kiosks to be open, how much policing to have, loyalty point allocation, etc. etc.?  The problem with giving ST holders first dibs to keep their seats for a game like this would mean we would then have to open up all 4 stands when you can see by the ticket sales that there is no need. 

Making it all ticket means this can all be planned in advance and we don't need to waste any money on anything unnecessary.  We need to remain frugal and make every bit of money count.

I`m sure the support occupying the Wheatfield, Roseburn and Gorgie stands wouldn`t mind if kiosk and food services were only available from the Wheatfield concourse for a low profile game like this.

We`ve had years of experience , years, of knowing generally what sort of gate you`d get for these matches. We`re talking about just trying to get another 2 or 3000 fans along on top of the 7, 8000 that will be there.

For all the great support we have , we still get continually very low gates at these games and its never changed.

Is that your wish or what you know ?

Confirmed mate, added link to previous post

We_are_the_Hearts

Are there LP's available for his game? I'll buy a ticket if so, if not I'll just go to the cash gate.

Yes

Maroon Sailor

Around 4200 sold according to a rough dot count.

That's the best part of the Wheatfield taken care off

Not having a go at you personally JJ but what more information do people need ?

The game is featured on the club website, it's listed on the SPFL website, it's listed in newspaper and TV fixtures lists.

Short of taking out expensive billboard space or TV/radio airtime I don't really see what more the club can do.

If fans can't be bothered to spend ?12 to watch the first competitive match of the season, when it's been widely mentioned that a fairly strong team will be on show, then it kind of blows the "fans right behind what the club is doing" idea

Mainly, like others, I'm just surprised I've not had an email about it. Or as I suggested a little more on social media. All I'd personally heard about this game was that it was originally scheduled at the same time as the first league game and that it would be rearranged. I completely forgot about it after that until my friend asked about tickets for Everton and tomorrow.

I just think this is a bit of an unusual one in that it's a competitive match before the season has "started", if you know what I mean. If people spend time on here they'll know about it, I just don't think there's any harm in the club pushing the information a bit more. They've got a database of tens of thousands of names - including almost 14,000 season ticket holders - and currently only around 4-5000 of them have bought tickets. I'm not saying the rest are oblivious to the match but it does no harm sending an email and resharing the ticketing information on social media.

For one thing I have no doubt there'll be a huge queue outside the ticket office tonight, as there was before Everton. The club might as well advertise for people to buy online and print at home to save them from the aggro that probably comes from that! We still see people asking if there's a cash gate so there are plenty of irregular attendees who would come to this match.

I don't disagree with you that there are plenty of season ticket holders and others who know about this game and have decided it's not for them. But I also believe there's plenty who are - for want of a better word - ignorant about tomorrow's match and a nudge in the right direction from the club might help shift some tickets.

Edit: Should have read the rest of the thread before posting!! Glad the club are opening a cash gate. Means if I hate my seat in section B I can move round to my usual one in the Gorgie!

Gorgie_Rules

Can buy a ticket at the ticket office just before the game, give yourself 10 - 15mins to queue

Reckon the club should just open the Gorgie and make it a cash gate

;)

Could clubs reluctance to offer cash gates have something to with preventing embezzlement? It would be fairly easy to pocket a fair bit of extra cash if working on a cash gate. Not so if you are only seeking tickets as the tickets should tally with the income.

Not completely sure but i would think people will still be given a ticket when entering through a cash gate.

So tickets issued and cash received will still have to tally. So if there is a shortage it would have to be accounted for.

JamboHeriot

Getting a bit uppity about the number of tickets sold for a league cup first round game. It's not a particularly attractive game let's be honest here - I'm going but I'm not expecting it to be a rip - roaring spectacle.

If we get 5k that's acceptable in my book.

Are the Gorgie Live tickets only available by phone or by person at TO? 

And, it says on website it opens at 6pm, but does anyone know when the actual 'entertainment' will start? 

Yup my admin fee was ?3 (half the price of my old mans seniors ticket)

Bit of a piss take considering it defeats the purpose of print at home

Still an extra bit to the club. But can see how it irks a little

It is a Ticketmaster charge. The club will not get it. It is how Ticektmaster make their money.

It is a Ticketmaster charge. The club will not get it. It is how Ticektmaster make their money.

Makes sense. Very naive on my part. Guess I've never really thought too much about it.

Seems steep anyhow

Archived