Reminiscences

hueyview

We_are_the_Hearts

Alex MacDonald's Testimonial v Rangers at Tynie in 1986. Kevin Keegan was guesting for Hearts and I think it was a 29000 sell-out. Andy Cameron, well known Rangers supporter of course, was doing the pre-match compere gig and walked over to the Shed and crossed himself, provoking a famous sway down towards the fence.

It was 1984 and the crowd was 18,000

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/archives-hearts-2-3-rangers-16-may-1984-1-3405743

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alex MacDonald

The snow storm at Fir Park during the 85/6 unbeaten run is etched into my memory for some reason, I think Henry Smith was out for some reason and we had a different goalie (Murray McDermott ???)hope someone remembers it's been bugging me for a while.

No, Henry was in goal for us that day. In the warm up, he came down to retrieve a ball and muttered, "It's f%$*ing sh!te weather to be playing football". Won 3-1 I think, conditions were shocking that day.

We_are_the_Hearts

No, Henry was in goal for us that day. In the warm up, he came down to retrieve a ball and muttered, "It's f%$*ing sh!te weather to be playing football". Won 3-1 I think, conditions were shocking that day.

Yeah looked like the game could be abandoned, I think it got better as the game went on and we came from a goal behind to win 3-1...............

We_are_the_Hearts

Over 10,000 at the game.............................................5000 at Easter Road lol.......................

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P   Aberdeen 3 St Mirren 1 11436

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P   Dundee United 4 Celtic 2 16668

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P   Hibernian 2 Clydebank[4] 3 5137

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P   Motherwell 1 Heart Of Midlothian 3 10131

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P   Rangers 5 Dundee 0 13974

PsychocAndy

Over 10,000 at the game.............................................5000 at Easter Road lol.......................

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P Aberdeen 3 St Mirren 1 11436

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P Dundee United 4 Celtic 2 16668

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P Hibernian 2 Clydebank[4] 3 5137

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P Motherwell 1 Heart Of Midlothian 3 10131

Sat 04 Jan 1986 P Rangers 5 Dundee 0 13974

Ah the Rangers crowd before Murray took over. That was a good day at Ibrox.

Tynie for me was all about "graduating" from the benches to the outskirts of the shed to the centre of the shed.... so many memories.

Away trips - some great times going by bus to Aberdeen - stopping in Brechin for a pre match bevvy. Airdrie back in the days was always a treacherous trip. Easter road........you could always spot a Hearts fan without colours on a wet day as your shoes got covered in that orange sheil stuff!

Euro Trips - Standard Liege by bus was a hell of a trip. Hearts fans literally took over a boozer when we discovered they'd been serving us the low alcohol lager - doors were locked from the inside and the Hearts fans started serving pints (schooners) of the real stuff much to the fans in the bar - tbh the owner just stood back and admitted his scam had gone awry not that he was getting much choice.

Robbo-Jambo

Yeah looked like the game could be abandoned, I think it got better as the game went on and we came from a goal behind to win 3-1...............

Thinks that's right.

Pretty sure Neil Berry scored that day and Robbo got the third.

Nightmare getting back to Edinburgh though IIRC

Yep remember that well. The tall skinny one with false teeth was the Hibby. The smaller, chubbier one with the tache was the Jambo. One episode in the 80s started with the Jambo's mrs advising him to stay well clear of that rowdy lot from the west (we were playing Celtic that day). Anyway the two old boys were in a packed boozer and the Jambo was trying to explain to his mate the history behind him having his mouser. The Hibby couldn't hear too well with it being a packed boozer so the Jambo is forced to shout about it being based on "The moustache my father wore!" Cue total silence and about 40 pairs of "tim" eyes giving him daggers. Final scene is the Hibby on the blower to the Jambo's mrs explaining he won't be home tonight as he's in the infirmary. Classic!

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: Cant say I remember that one in particular but there were loads of pub and terracing captions with our two pals winding up opposing fans iirc.

As someone else has said the wee fat one was Eck and his Hibby mate was big Boab. Think the cartoon was called Fitba Daft.

Back in the 60s my mate at work Big Bill was a staunch Hibby but he used to come to Tynecastle with me and if i was not travelling away with Hearts I would go along to ER with him. None of the hatred then as there is nowadays.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: Cant say I remember that one in particular but there were loads of pub and terracing captions with our two pals winding up opposing fans iirc.

As someone else has said the wee fat one was Eck and his Hibby mate was big Boab. Think the cartoon was called Fitba Daft.

Back in the 60s my mate at work Big Bill was a staunch Hibby but he used to come to Tynecastle with me and if i was not travelling away with Hearts I would go along to ER with him. None of the hatred then as there is nowadays.

there are still some folk who go to both Gorgie and Easter road.  At one time that was all you did on Saturday afternoon, and with more fans living in the centre of Edinburgh, travelling and meeting up was less then, a problem.  

aitcheeayartees

Good memories of stealing the Derby match ball at Easter road around 1984, when it came in to the crowd.. It was getting thrown around by the fans and was caught by my mate who put it up his jacket. Remember playing keepie upie with it in the high street that night before heading back to penicuik! Evening news Gilzean cartoon gave us a mention too?? Hearts fans are magic! they even make the ball disappear  :2thumbsup:

gashauskis9

One big memory from the 80's was midweek at Parkhead playing in a gale, Levien took a freekick in our half hit it up field, around the half way line it slowed and came back over Levien's head towards our goal Henry Smith had to grab it to stop it going in and the referee gave Celtic a freekick for Henry handling a passback? We think now we get some weird decisions, we always got weird decisions.

Think that was Tynie in 1991 chief, Henry was one of the first victims of the rule. Think it was snowing as well.

avhudtheteeshirt

Think that was Tynie in 1991 chief, Henry was one of the first victims of the rule. Think it was snowing as well.

The one i'm talking about was definitely at Parkhead.

My first memories of going to football on a regular basis was when i started secondary in 1977.  I seem to remember there were no Derbies for four or five years at that time other than Cup matches.  Hearts were relegated on two occasions and then Hibs the next, then Hearts again , I thought of this as i read about Hibs struggling to come up next year. One of the best memories as a kid was the charactors, drunk as a lord on the number one. Sometimes with a can, and in those days a ciggie..........starting to sing, then forgetting the words.

Enzo Chiefo

"Bonsieur bonsieur we are the Gorgie Boys"! being sung at Tynie around the time of the UEFA Cup ties against Paris Saint Germain in Sept/Oct 1984.  Also, "The Gorby Boys are in Town" t-shirts in recognition of our games against Dnipr in 1990. The t-shirts also had a picture of Mikhail Gorbachev complete with the wee maroon heart on his forehead!

Good shout! During the season it was Fitba Daft and then in the summer it became Bowlin Grin as it followed their fortunes at bowls.

Good shout! During the season it was Fitba Daft and then in the summer it became Bowlin Grin as it followed their fortunes at bowls.

There was a thread about this cartoon, in the shed last December, regaurding making possible Christmas cards.  The artist was Earle Wright, who sadly passed away a few years ago.  Not sure where to see some of these cartoons, but still looking

Archived