Reminiscences

hueyview

unfo

Funny how back then it was sort of your own fault, but now people would be giving their story to the Evening hobo looking for some com

The wee three wheeled blue cars that many disabled (am I allowed to say that these days?) people had parked at the side of the pitch. Sitting on the wall that went round the pitch. Your Dad and his mates standing further up the terracing. Waiting outside the pub (in my case The Roseburn) whilst your Dad 'went to see a man about a dog' inside, and while he's in there having a game of football using a stone/tennis ball/occasionally a real football, on the pavement outside.

i remember parked around the periferify at celtic and what was, the great old club that were the gers. blue 3 wheelers, happy memories.   ........

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jam Tarts 1874

Was it not Z Cars?

And the badge round the neck absolutely covered in metal badges!

Yeah, maybe a bit of both.  I remember "whose that ..... with the helmet on" as well as the Z Cars tune.

The giant scoreboard (pie stand underneath)and the exit tunnels in the Gorgie Rd terracing.Anybody got photos of the Gorgie (Home) end

the guy selling rolls and macaroon and chewy chewy gum getting skelped wi the ball at Clydebank 1985

Perth to Paisley

Sandy (Hendry?) Who stood at the front on the shed at the half way line. Maroon flat cap and a foghorn voice. Craigmillar bus if not mistaken.

Lived for the club.

Happy daze!

Jam Tarts 1874

The giant scoreboard (pie stand underneath)and the exit tunnels in the Gorgie Rd terracing.Anybody got photos of the Gorgie (Home) end

Both items did seem very unique to Tynecastle. 

Say What Again

We used to inject them with vodka and take them to outdoor concerts.

Eat them on the bus if no drink was allowed.

It took years before the stewards started taking the bags of oranges off you as you went into the concerts.

I've always been intrigued about how much bevvy you could inject into an orange :)

Was only a lad in '81 when I first went, so wasn't involved. Felt like I missed out. Still do :(

'Got any bevvy oan ye pal?'

'No officer, just 10 oranges'

:lol:

Must have been easier to sneak a quarter bottle in!

Neilson's Shank

The snow storm at Fir Park during the 85/6 unbeaten run is etched into my memory for some reason, I think Henry Smith was out for some reason and we had a different goalie (Murray McDermott ???)hope someone remembers it's been bugging me for a while.

Who remembers the game at ER when we scored or would have done had the ball not landed in the puddle on the goal line opposite the dunbar end?

Another from ER when the ref called the game off at 2.55 after assurances from the vermin that the pitch was in perfect condition. Cant remember if it was due to arctic weather or a monsoon, need to ask the auld man, he will remember, after all he paid for the taxi.

Auldreekie1874

Sandy (Hendry?) Who stood at the front on the shed at the half way line. Maroon flat cap and a foghorn voice. Craigmillar bus if not mistaken.

Lived for the club.

Happy daze!

An 80's midweek league cup match at Ibrox (lost 2-0) saw the Craigmillar bus taking around 70  of us on a 55 seater. On the way back some Hun C....s dropped a brick from a bridge and straight through the front window. Lucky it wasn't on the drivers side but unfortunately the only person to get covered in glass was old Sandy. Fortunately he wasn't too badly hurt.

A few years earlier my choice of half time snack from the track side vendors was a kia-ora, a milky whip and a packet of these...

raw-1338634358-595x417-resize.jpg

Another from ER when the ref called the game off at 2.55 after assurances from the vermin that the pitch was in perfect condition. Cant remember if it was due to arctic weather or a monsoon, need to ask the auld man, he will remember, after all he paid for the taxi.

Just got off the phone to the auld man and it was due to monsoon conditions.

Entering through the turnstiles at Gorgie Road past the kids waiting for a liftover and wondering if the artful dodger went to games when reading the beware of pickpockets sign. Squeezing through tiny gaps looking for an oasis of space to appear to stand in where you could see from. Changing ends at halftime and the coppers entering the crowd to stop the fights and watching their hats being thrown like frisbees onto the pitch before they emerged with the alleged miscreants or usually whoever they got their hands on. And of course the lovely tide mark on your jeans which you certainly didn't want to touch. The cans of Tennents pre ring pull which you had to put 2 holes in opposite each other to drink from. Then if somebody threw a half full one watching it spin through the air discharging lager or sometimes something much worse on those below before landing from orbit on some unfortunates nappednapper. All this happening to the background music of Jimmy Shand playing the Bluebell Polka.

boy_in_maroon

I was one of the guys that used to walk round with the trays selling, waggon wheels, kia-ora, chewing gum, cheesettes (some kind of mini chedder copy) into the game free and 5% commission for your troubles, I still remember a few of the guys names that were there 74-75 and the wee man who ran the show Mr. Finlayson? with his gold sovereign rings, the jackets were nylon and red & pink like a cheap boating jacket, and a white paper hat, ala Thunderbirds style, back in the day the players would come out onto the park in their suits and walk onto the park, unlike today where you can view the warm up, anyway got the hat signed by the team, only for it to blow off into the crowd, hope who ever got it has kept it, (40 years ago), maybe not...

Running around the decrepit and virtually empty terracing in the early 80s, and singing 'What's it like to have grey hair?' at the Partick Thistle goalie during one match.

The Bayern Munich game at Tynecastle, where an old geezer in front of me shouted 'It's a goal!' every time Hearts got near their box.

Some smashing memories..........the wagon wheels lads, the swallying, the crowd movement and the rush for the Pink news along Gorgie to the West end paper vendors in their wee stands.       Smashing

I feel depressed as I remember all this. Was the wee brass cup at the water fountain at the side of the main stand beside the only ladies loo I remember in the ground. Used to change ends. Went to Arbroath Christmas Eve won 7-0. I missed 3 goals still changing ends. Might have been a busy hat trick..

alex young hero

From the mid 50 S  Brass Band on the pitch  before the game and half time,no segregation with opposing supporters and very rarely any trouble even with old firm and Hibs some good banter went on , being able to get an evening paper with all the full time results in the stop press before I caught my train at Haymarket around 5,20.Great days with a great Hearts team to wach.  

A wee shed at the back of the terracing at the Mcleod Street exit...Topsport shop? Or just a pie stand with Topsport advertising on it? Not to be confused with pie stand in School End near the Shed, above the under terrace toilets.

I'm sure it was a Topsport shop for a short period of time. I will confirm with the man himself and get back to you.

Fxxx the SPFL

The brass cup on a chain with a tap that you get get a drink of water.

Just behind the turnstiles at the School End.

The desperate faces waiting at the gates at the Gorgie end to open at 4.30 so they could run in and catch the last 15 minutes for free while desperately asking everbody the score.

Packets of Fish and Chips crisps ( now sold again in ASDA but never taste the same ) and plastic tubs of Kiaora sold from an guy with a tray like an usherette at the pictures.

Walking to Tynie to save 5p bus fare to spend on above.

Wishing you knew someone that lived on Gorgie Road that back windows overlooked Tynie and you could watch the game and not have to piss in the bogs under the School End or the horrors that waited behind the corner of the Shed.

Shuffling up the iron supports at the back of the Shed to get a better view.

Waiting on the guy to put the half time scores up on the board to match them up with your programme.

I was one of those tray boys that used to walk around the track and sell kiora orange, plain golden wonder crisps, chewing gum and if I remember correctly Caramac bars all my mates stood in the shed and half my stuff got knicked most matches luckily for me I knew one of the women that gave us our stock and she always slipped me an extra tray of chewing gum to sell off so I always made a wee pockle. I lived in Wheatfield Place and my late old man wouldn't let me go to the games when the weegies came to town but I can remember the big metal bins outside the boys gate crammed full of flags beer bottles etc. Derek O'Conner lived two stairs down from me.

Enzo Chiefo

Alex MacDonald's Testimonial v Rangers at Tynie in 1986. Kevin Keegan was guesting for Hearts and I think it was a 29000 sell-out. Andy Cameron, well known Rangers supporter of course, was doing the pre-match compere gig and walked over to the Shed and crossed himself, provoking a famous sway down towards the fence.

Best buildup to a Saturday game in the 70s was a walk through the Meadows to the Odeon for the Super Saturday show at 10am, which cost 10 pence.  The Hibs boys would head down Leith if they were at home, and the same going to Tynecastle. Big bags of shared chips at Brattisanni, then piling into the queues. someone said there were kids gates, but i do not really remember it.

The White Cockade

Best buildup to a Saturday game in the 70s was a walk through the Meadows to the Odeon for the Super Saturday show at 10am, which cost 10 pence.  The Hibs boys would head down Leith if they were at home, and the same going to Tynecastle. Big bags of shared chips at Brattisanni, then piling into the queues. someone said there were kids gates, but i do not really remember it.

I used to go to that

Flash Gordon serial and Children's Film Foundation films every week

I used to go to that

Flash Gordon serial and Children's Film Foundation films every week

Yes, the manager of the cinema would come on near the start, throw some sweeties. The flash Gordon/ Zorro insallment would go on and the ceiling stars sparkle.  One day they had a Judo demenstration on the stage with some young lads.  A nutter from my school in a old Celtic top jumped up on the stage shouting Ali Bongo and tried to fight all the boys.........

Lived for the club.

Happy daze!

Sandy Stewart a real character. The bane of many an opposing full back and linesman's life. Always willing to help the linesman with advice on where to put his flag.

He stayed at Mountcastle so i used see him at the bus stop at Ardmillan .

He was a nightmare for the bus inspectors when bus after bus arrived which were no good to him he would shout at them WHIT NAE FORTY FOWERS this would be repeated umpteen times until a 44 at last appeared.

He did indeed travel with Craigmiller Hearts SC . We were on their bus to Aberdeen and there was Sandy sitting right behind the driver keeping him right.That was late 60s or early seventies so he will be long gone now because he was an old man then.

Some great stories on this thread bringing back a lot of fond memories.  :2thumbsup:

everybody trying to see the full time scores through the shop window of the tv shop in dalry

Remember this well no mobile phones in those days.

Lived for the club.

Happy daze!

An 80's midweek league cup match at Ibrox (lost 2-0) saw the Craigmillar bus taking around 70  of us on a 55 seater. On the way back some Hun C....s dropped a brick from a bridge and straight through the front window. Lucky it wasn't on the drivers side but unfortunately the only person to get covered in glass was old Sandy. Fortunately he wasn't too badly hurt.

A few years earlier my choice of half time snack from the track side vendors was a kia-ora, a milky whip and a packet of these...

raw-1338634358-595x417-resize.jpg

Before the 80's but I remember you could buy packets of wee round cheesy biscuits.

They were not nice, but because there was not much choice I usually ended up buying a packet.

punkrockcroc

Aye,Jim Duncan from Gorebridge, what a complete and utter fud. It rained and rained ridiculous weather.

Sandy Stewart a real character. The bane of many an opposing full back and linesman's life. Always willing to help the linesman with advice on where to put his flag.

He stayed at Mountcastle so i used see him at the bus stop at Ardmillan .

He was a nightmare for the bus inspectors when bus after bus arrived which were no good to him he would shout at them WHIT NAE FORTY FOWERS this would be repeated umpteen times until a 44 at last appeared.

He did indeed travel with Craigmiller Hearts SC . We were on their bus to Aberdeen and there was Sandy sitting right behind the driver keeping him right.That was late 60s or early seventies so he will be long gone now because he was an old man then.

Some great stories on this thread bringing back a lot of fond memories. :2thumbsup:

. We were at an away game and Sandy was at the fence, a player cant remember who bent down to pick up the ball and Sandy hit him with his walking stick...

Wearing scottish club team tops when playing in the Meadows.   Now it is Eurpean tops.............sign off the times

The snow storm at Fir Park during the 85/6 unbeaten run is etched into my memory for some reason, I think Henry Smith was out for some reason and we had a different goalie (Murray McDermott ???)hope someone remembers it's been bugging me for a while.

Can mind snowstorms at Hamilton  (midweek- fergie scored a couple of long range efforts) and at dens,though maybe that a was year or two earlier.

Started snowing really heavy before KO and we bolted across the pitch into there shed.

maybe the police moved us across,cant remember,but was quite a volatile atmosphere in there,sure we all got moved back to the terracing at half time.

Mcdermott?  only game i can mind him playing was at Tolka park against St pats in the UEFA cup.

John Gentleman

The wee three wheeled blue cars that many disabled (am I allowed to say that these days?) people had parked at the side of the pitch. Sitting on the wall that went round the pitch. Your Dad and his mates standing further up the terracing. Waiting outside the pub (in my case The Roseburn) whilst your Dad 'went to see a man about a dog' inside, and while he's in there having a game of football using a stone/tennis ball/occasionally a real football, on the pavement outside.

Aye, remember them well. It'd be those ones, I think http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-23061676. Scroll down a bit and there's a pic of one exploding into a ball of flames! I could say something terribly politically incorrect here, but I'll refrain ;)

Renault also produced a three wheeler for, .....emm...'non-disabled' folk ? the Robin Reliant  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8. I mind my old man, experiencing a thought bubble, actually considering buying one. That was, until my mother put her foot down; "ye'r no' gonnae embarrass me drivin' aroond in yin o' they three-wheeled things". End of thought bubble.

I actually have an acquaintance in Morecombe who keeps a Reliant in his shed in pristine condition. Apparently, "up North" they have Reliant owners' rallies and conventions. Oh well, whatever floats your boat I guess.  

But the big question on my lips is this: do football grounds provision for the mobility scooter ? that silent (and therefore) deadly successor to the Noddy car?

Auchterarder chips! Bus always stopped there when heading north to Perth Dundee Angus or Aberdeen games. Best chips ever......or so they seem now ...good times

Colonel Kurtz

"Lottery Tickets" as you came in the School End turnstiles

Big Alfie Wright bus convenor on the Malky Robertson bus

Big Hagar

John Frame and Alex Jones on Danderhall bus

BiG Alfie Wright used to run the Rob Roy bus before that,remember him getting me out of my kip to go to Dumbarton a couple of days after the 7 0 derby,think we won 2 0.He also kept the bus back after a couple of us got lifted at methil 

When I first started going in the early 60's the boys gate was in Wheatfield Street. Only kids and oap's could get in there I think so my dad would shove me into the queue asking a kindly looking old guy to keep an eye on me as I was 9 I think. 3 sixpences in my hand (7.5 pence now)and by the time I got in my dad had got in at the Gorgie turnstiles and was waiting for me as I went in. I'd then be found a place at the wall in the front at the Gorgie end while he stood a bit further back. 10 years or so later and it was perfectly timing another pint with a mate in the Worlds End so that we could dive out and get the number 1 bus at 2.35 and I seem to remember we usually made it for kick off.

Seymour M Hersh

The "For the Fans" section on a Friday in the EEN listing all the supporters buses going to away games and their pick up points and times. 

Colonel Kurtz

The Cabin Bus..saw Jimmy Marshall yesterday ..remember going to airdrie ..the bus as per got stopped by the polis all the youngdters were cutting about with spliffs like king edwards.Jimmy downie shouted from the front hide the bevvy lads.

What about the bob hope i asked him

he considered a moment and replied ..its just the drink thats banned

The "For the Fans" section on a Friday in the EEN listing all the supporters buses going to away games and their pick up points and times. 

wow I remember that, that's going back a bit.

Being at Arbroath in 1978 for promotion clinching 1-0 victory one week before my 14th birthday with my cousin who was nearly 15. Got back on the bus to find that I'd won first scorer sweepstake (Good old Eamonn Bannon) then bus stopped at shops for fish suppers. Still had money from winnings left and some guy took it off me and bought me and cousin 4 cans of lager. Happy days. May be wrong but seem to recall it lashing it down for the whole game.

I remember a game at Fester Rd in the 70s when the idio... ehrm the people in charge at that pigsty descided to put red whin chips, like the kind you put on your drive or garden path, down at  the bottom of the slope at the back of the terraces, well the Hearts fans 'rained' these things down on the hibs fans, it must have stung!

also does anyone remember 'the bridge' when visiting Brockville in the 70s and 80s?

Starting in the Orwell for an underage pint and a gamble on the puggy then after the game walking up Wardlaw Place and getting a Scotch Pie Supper with extra sauce from the chippy on Slateford Road.  Think it's a Chinese take-away now.

Standing right on the corner of the Shed about half way up and thinking we were the dogs.

Walking home from a game and still seeing the glow of the lights from Tynie on midweek evening games or Saturday 3pm in Dec/Jan.

Constant playing of 'Slippery when wet' album on the car stereo when my mates dad used to take us to the away games.

Being colder than it is possible to be and still be alive on a trip to Aberdeen.

Being wetter that it is possible to be and not drown during a trip to Dens.

"Henry, Henry give us a wave"

"Send your casuals over here"

"Zico! Zico!"

Neil Berry's throw ins.  JC's mazy runs.  Zicos 'tackles'.  Robbos goals!

Not washing my scarf for about 18 months as it was unlucky despite the fact it was growing an entirely new strain of penicillin (fueled by chippy sauce stains).

Going mental at my mum when she finally washed it.

The smell of the brewery. 

The metal badges on my scarf that used to draw blood when they hit me in the face during an overly excited "Na, na, na, nananana...."

Joyous. 

BlackhallJambo

Can mind snowstorms at Hamilton  (midweek- fergie scored a couple of long range efforts) and at dens,though maybe that a was year or two earlier.

Started snowing really heavy before KO and we bolted across the pitch into there shed.

maybe the police moved us across,cant remember,but was quite a volatile atmosphere in there,sure we all got moved back to the terracing at half time.

Mcdermott?  only game i can mind him playing was at Tolka park against St pats in the UEFA cup.

Me too. Worked beside Murray who sadly passed away in his early fifties.

Archived