Davie Cooper!

crichiejambos

crichiejambos

Twenty years since he passed away! always thought he was quite a down to earth kind o guy and on his day unplayable! Blighted with being inconsistent! Never had that I'm aware of had an issue with us! Wouldn't have minded him playing for us!

Toxteth O'Grady

Very good player often too good for his team mates. I recall a game when he was ripping us and John Grieg subbed him for some reason

TriggersBroom

He was before my time, but he looked an incredible dribbler. He did not have electrifying pace, and had no right foot, yet he could skin a player effortlessly. 

What I really love about the guy is his incredible loyalty. Football fans of all teams love loyalty, especially from the most gifted of players. Davie Cooper had offers to go down south, and could have played on the continent, but he was happy playing for his boyhood heroes for as long as he could. 

Maybe some older guys on here could share their memories of him?

Gigolo-Aunt

One of the most skilful players of his generation - quality player on his day.

There is an excellent documentary on him knocking about on Youtube.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Amazing player. Probably suffered internationally from the same thing Hoddle and Waddle are perceived to have suffered for England - managers didn't know what to do with them.

noidletalk81

As a player, he was one of the finest talents to ever grace the game, not just in Scottish Football, he could have played anywhere! Sadly the stories I was later told by Tony Fitzpatrick's brother left a nasty taste in my mouth.

crichiejambos

As a player, he was one of the finest talents to ever grace the game, not just in Scottish Football, he could have played anywhere! Sadly the stories I was later told by Tony Fitzpatrick's brother left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Serj Tankian

Sadly the stories I was later told by Tony Fitzpatrick's brother left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Tell more I had a run in with him early 80's after the game league cup game I think midweek .

The Sun ran a story just before he died saying he was a "love rat".  Probably tame compared what the Thumb's got up to.

noidletalk81

Tell more I had a run in with him early 80's after the game league cup game I think midweek .

Well tragically Fitzy's young son (aged 6) passed away from Leukaemia in 1983, apparently the following weekend they were playing Rangers at Love Street, Fitzy came on as a sub and Cooper approached him off the ball and mocked the death of his son, in a way that I shall not repeat. Fitzy of course lost the plot and went for Cooper, resulting in him getting sent off...dragged off the pitch in tears whilst Cooper stood smiling. I worked with his brother for ten years and is a very honest and humble individual, when he told me the story he was also very emotional and it still very much angered the family years later. This is also a well known fact amongst buddies fans also.

Wonderful Footballer, not a very nice human being!

Perth to Paisley

He was an excellent player. ..but from memory be never really got the upper hand on Zico. Wattie always seem to win that duel.

20 years though..wow

Scored the first Scotland goal I saw live at Hampden, against Australia in the WC play off match in 1985. A wand of a left foot.

Goal at 17.45

When did he play for Heart of Midlothian ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Terrace
For discussion of HMFC and football in general

One of the most skilful players of his generation - quality player on his day.

There is an excellent documentary on him knocking about on Youtube.

Seem to remember him playing against us for Clydebank at Tynie in the cup in his final season as a player. Got subbed and received quite an ovation.

just listened to last nights Sportsound - Craig Brown said back in 1975 while at Motherwell they sent a scout to watch him at Clydebank. Scored him 38 out of 100 - no right foot, couldn't head the ball, didn't tackle.

They didn't sign him.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Seem to remember him playing against us for Clydebank at Tynie in the cup in his final season as a player. Got subbed and received quite an ovation.

Think that was just a few weeks before he died.

invernessjt

just listened to last nights Sportsound - Craig Brown said back in 1975 while at Motherwell they sent a scout to watch him at Clydebank. Scored him 38 out of 100 - no right foot, couldn't head the ball, didn't tackle.

They didn't sign him.

That was a pretty good appraisal of him.Not as good a player as everyone makes out IMHO

He was an excellent player. ..but from memory be never really got the upper hand on Zico. Wattie always seem to win that duel.

20 years though..wow

In Sandy Clark's book, he tells a story of bumping into Cooper as came off the Rangers team bus at Tynecastle. They obviously had played together at Ibrox previously.

The first thing Cooper said to Sandy was "Hi Sandy. Is that psycho Jack Nicholson character playing right back for you today?"

"Yup".

jack D and coke

Well tragically Fitzy's young son (aged 6) passed away from Leukaemia in 1983, apparently the following weekend they were playing Rangers at Love Street, Fitzy came on as a sub and Cooper approached him off the ball and mocked the death of his son, in a way that I shall not repeat. Fitzy of course lost the plot and went for Cooper, resulting in him getting sent off...dragged off the pitch in tears whilst Cooper stood smiling. I worked with his brother for ten years and is a very honest and humble individual, when he told me the story he was also very emotional and it still very much angered the family years later. This is also a well known fact amongst buddies fans also.

Jesus that's very low if true.

Thats sullied my memory of cooper tbh I thought he was a good lad.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I didn't know anything about that story - either that of Fitzpatrick's son or the Cooper confrontation. Just read a bit about it. Fitzpatrick seems like a good guy - tragic what happened to him. Unfortunately while Googling I came across references on Rangers forums to "Tony the taig" and "Tony Scumpatrick", both while discussing his six year old dying from cancer. There really are some horrible, horrible people in the world. :(

TriggersBroom

Of course his biggest Scotland goal was the night big Jock died against Wales

Watching that, were there any Wales fans in the stadium? :D

When Coopers penalty goes in, the fans look incredible! Absolute bedlam!

Watching that, were there any Wales fans in the stadium? :D

When Coopers penalty goes in, the fans look incredible! Absolute bedlam!

Indeed, there must have been a lot more people in there than had tickets.

Check out the Scotland crowd at Anfield when we played Wales there in the 1977 qualifying 

noidletalk81

Jesus that's very low if true.

Thats sullied my memory of cooper tbh I thought he was a good lad.

I didn't know anything about that story - either that of Fitzpatrick's son or the Cooper confrontation. Just read a bit about it. Fitzpatrick seems like a good guy - tragic what happened to him. Unfortunately while Googling I came across references on Rangers forums to "Tony the taig" and "Tony Scumpatrick", both while discussing his six year old dying from cancer. There really are some horrible, horrible people in the world. :(

Sadly I believe it is very much true from the sincerity expressed to me personally by Tony's brother. It's funny I recall the incident at the time been described as a 'flashpoint' in the match report but never actually witnessed the footage. The nature of Tony's reaction tells you all you need to know, I was told. I think Tony thought Cooper was going to say a few respectful words and then to be hit with that must of been utterly surreal. It's crazy to think why the Referee and media didn't question the fact Cooper clearly provoked him, but knowing the pro Hun bias as it was back then perhaps explains that. Apparently Rikki McFarlane (the manager at the time) and the players whom dragged Tony off the park had approached the Referee post match and reported the incident but were shunned away, as they were with this press also. The Buddies I have known throughout the years have also sad memories of that day, they do not remember Cooper well at all. I believe Tony did try to get his story across at the time and years later (without making a song and dance about it) but no one wanted to touch it. Sad that such a wonderful talent is remembered by some (inc myself) for all the wrong reasons, perhaps unfair but such an unthinkable villainous act overshadows anything he ever done on a Football park.

That was his last game. He died the following week.

No doubting his skill but he was also inconsistent, very niggly and liked a dive to himself. 

Was there not a rumour he had a major issue with Rangers signing Maurice Johnstone!

The story goes " he approached MOJO and said "what the **** is he doing here" ?

Although a good player on his day, he was certainly no world beater as suggested, and like Paul McStay and many others of old firm persuasion over the years he was vastly overhyped by the Glasgow media.

Not a patch on Paul Sturrock who was a contemporary.

I can only remember once at Tynecastle being impressed by Cooper, when he scored a great goal dribbling along the touch line at the Gorgie Road end (1987) , any other time at Tynecastle he couldn't get out of Walter Kidds back pocket.

Buffalo Bill

Let's just say he was "wan ay" their "ain" when it came to political/religious matters.

As a footballer, just fantastic when on his game. One of the top ten players I've even seen.

He could be very good and the skills he had with his left foot were probably exceptional, but as noted above, he was nowhere near the complete footballer, and since he only became "world class" after he died, you have to suspect it was the shock of his dying young and fact he played for Rangers that boosted his reputation (Christ, it has been a long time since I've written "Rangers"!!!!)

Never really got the hype with Cooper.  Nowhere remotely near as good as John Robertson who was the Scotland winger in the years before Cooper finally established himself in a rapidly declining Scotland team.

3fingersreid

That's the first time I've heard the story about him and Fitzpatrick , very sad .

On a footballing note his free kick against aberdeen in the league cup final was a bit of a screamer the noise it made when it hits the net is incredible

I P Knightley

Sadly I believe it is very much true from the sincerity expressed to me personally by Tony's brother. It's funny I recall the incident at the time been described as a 'flashpoint' in the match report but never actually witnessed the footage. The nature of Tony's reaction tells you all you need to know, I was told. I think Tony thought Cooper was going to say a few respectful words and then to be hit with that must of been utterly surreal. It's crazy to think why the Referee and media didn't question the fact Cooper clearly provoked him, but knowing the pro Hun bias as it was back then perhaps explains that. Apparently Rikki McFarlane (the manager at the time) and the players whom dragged Tony off the park had approached the Referee post match and reported the incident but were shunned away, as they were with this press also. The Buddies I have known throughout the years have also sad memories of that day, they do not remember Cooper well at all. I believe Tony did try to get his story across at the time and years later (without making a song and dance about it) but no one wanted to touch it. Sad that such a wonderful talent is remembered by some (inc myself) for all the wrong reasons, perhaps unfair but such an unthinkable villainous act overshadows anything he ever done on a Football park.

Not at all unfair.

It's the same with so many 'fallen idols' in sport: Gazza, Best & Hurricane Higgins (wife-beaters); Ched Evans & Loic Remy; rapists, thieves & racists all over the place.

On balance, I'd rather find true heroes like Dave Mackay than try to gloss over the nastiness in so many other people in order to keep them on their pedestal.

As a relative youngster, I'd be pleased to see Davie Cooper turn out for Scotland, I thought he had something decent about him on the park. The stories of him (not always) off the park, though? In my eyes, he doesn't merit adulation.

Disgusted by that.

I always thought Cooper was totally over rated as a player. Seems he was also over rated as a human being.

Never really got the hype with Cooper.  Nowhere remotely near as good as John Robertson who was the Scotland winger in the years before Cooper finally established himself in a rapidly declining Scotland team.

Disgusted by that.

I always thought Cooper was totally over rated as a player. Seems he was also over rated as a human being.

That's the page I'm on.

All that "Moody Blue" pish the media spouted too.

Great player on his day. Didn't produce nearly enough for all his ability.

Very much an old school Rangers Man.

The story goes " he approached MOJO and said "what the **** is he doing here" ?

Although a good player on his day, he was certainly no world beater as suggested, and like Paul McStay and many others of old firm persuasion over the years he was vastly overhyped by the Glasgow media.

Not a patch on Paul Sturrock who was a contemporary.

I can only remember once at Tynecastle being impressed by Cooper, when he scored a great goal dribbling along the touch line at the Gorgie Road end (1987) , any other time at Tynecastle he couldn't get out of Walter Kidds back pocket.

Absolutely this. X 10.

When did he play for Heart of Midlothian ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just when I think that you can't spout more pish than you have before, you come out with crackers like this. :vrface:

Dinger Bell

Agrre with jb647 In that both Cooper and McStay were over-rated.Good players ? yes but nothing special but the weegie hype of the media,had to find darlings to appease both sets of fans.There were better players around In Scotland at the time.

Allowayjambo1874

I always felt he was over rated until the day he dribbled past 4 Hearts players and scored in a 1-1 draw at Tynie, he seemed untouchable that day. However, I only ever saw him play v us and Wattie Kidd had the hex on him, Zico was very limited as a player but he knew how to play Cooper and he played him perfectly  time after time.

The story about Fitzpatrick is a shocker.

Archived