Ridiculous pronunciations

lauriesrank

So watching some english stuff (it has actually been entertaining 2nd half) and this guy comes on called coates.    

Apparently pronounced CO-A-Tes.....

Eh?  what?  I've been to coates crescent west end never co-a-tes

Reminds me of the Jorge cadete experience, the man who must've had 2948 different pronunciations!

Except it is pronounced like that.

The guy isn't British you know.

Actually he qualifys to play for Scotland his dads from Coatbridge

Riddley Walker

The guy is from Uruguay and has English heritage. But it is pronounced Co-at-es as they wouldn't say "coats" in an Spanish-speaking country.

alwaysthereinspirit

Actually he qualifys to play for Scotland his dads from Coatbridge

CO-A-Tesbridge surely?

Big Slim Stylee

I've been to coates crescent west end never co-a-tes

You should maybe get out more.  Get a passport. It's a big world.

So watching some english stuff (it has actually been entertaining 2nd half) and this guy comes on called coates.

Apparently pronounced CO-A-Tes.....

Eh? what? I've been to coates crescent west end never co-a-tes

Reminds me of the Jorge cadete experience, the man who must've had 2948 different pronunciations!

As others have said, that is how it is pronounced.

Got a passport and checked it's pronounced Koats.... :)  Irrespective of that, he plays in England his name should be pronounced as is, not some elaborate nonsense to make him sound foreign!  It's bad enough with davie silva! 

Got a passport and checked it's pronounced Koats.... :)  Irrespective of that, he plays in England his name should be pronounced as is, not some elaborate nonsense to make him sound foreign!  It's bad enough with davie silva!

He's Uruguayan though. It's not an elaborate nonsense to make him sound foreign.

Should we not have the decency and manners to try and pronounce people's names the way they'd like them to be pronounced and not just however we want to?

When you get something horribly wrong on here, it's best to just step back rather than keep on digging.

That's how it's pronounced. It'd be rude not to have a go at saying his name the way he says it.

It's totally different from things like the trend around the millennium to pronounce debut as day-boo, which is stupid. This is just common courtesy.

Riddley Walker

But... he is foreign.

Did you call Rudi Scay-cel?

Frank Sidebottom

An enlightened fellow.

rossthejambo

Always enjoy a pronunciation thread where someone moans that people pronounce a player's name right. I mean imagine actually saying someone's name in the right way?!

William H. Bonney

That Jos? Mourinho is the worst. Imagine pronouncing a 'J' as an 'H'.

Pure ignorance. UKIP has my vote.

fabienleclerq

Obviously that's how the guy pronounces it, strange to have a go at people for pronouncing it that way. On the flip side the Uruguayans changed the pronunciation to "co-atez" to suit them so when the op says "coats" it's the same thing.

Archie MacPherson's pronunciation of Jean-Claude Darcheville's surname always made me cringe a bit. Could practically hear the Guardian's typewriters frothing. 

tartofmidlothian

Scottish commentators can usually be relied upon to feck up a foreign player's name when it's easier to get it right. The Vlad years were a prime example, my favourite was Zaluskas.

You'd have had great fun as a commentator when we had a team that consisted of players such as Deividas ?esnauskis, K?stutis Iva?kevi?ius and Audrius K?anavi?ius :lol:

tartofmidlothian

You'd have had great fun as a commentator when we had a team that consisted of players such as Deividas ?esnauskis, K?stutis Iva?kevi?ius and Audrius K?anavi?ius :lol:

:spoton:

IIRC those three were Says-noss-kis, Ivaskachoos and "the Latvian boy".

Don't think I ever heard Ei?ur Gu?johnsen's name pronounced properly.

No, but a decent effort has been made at getting it right. Good manners isn't learning icelandic, but it certainly means having a fair go at getting it right.

I find talk off guardianistas and the lot frankly embarassing. Presumably people opposed to that are also the sort of folk who decry falling values, decency and good manners, and yet they baulk at the idea of trying to say someone's name correctly.

Big Slim Stylee

God are you that dense?

King Of The Cat Cafe

But it is not just overseas players that the commentators can muck up.

Remember David McCreery when he played 44 times for Hearts?

Now most people pronounce his surname M'Creery - the small c being silent.

Yet watching a Northern Ireland game one night I could not figure out who was the Mick Creery the commentator kept referring to.

No, but a decent effort has been made at getting it right. Good manners isn't learning icelandic, but it certainly means having a fair go at getting it right.

I find talk off guardianistas and the lot frankly embarassing. Presumably people opposed to that are also the sort of folk who decry falling values, decency and good manners, and yet they baulk at the idea of trying to say someone's name correctly.

Not sure if the second part was directed at me after I mentioned the Guardian's typewriters. I should probably say it was meant in jest, I'm a Guardian reader and I totally agree with what you're saying. 

Not sure if the second part was directed at me after I mentioned the Guardian's typewriters. I should probably say it was meant in jest, I'm a Guardian reader and I totally agree with what you're saying. 

cool cool

airdriejambo3

maybe from this point on we should just do away with foreign names and just number them and use their nationality as a first name, thats the method ive been using with my grandad for 20 years, eg the big french boy at  number 26 

Not sure that a decent effort has been made TBH.

I'm a Guardian reader too if it helps, but I think pronunciation is a minefield. When does trying to get it right turn into sounding a bit pretentious? How often do we say "FC Gothenburg" when it should be spelled "G?teburg" and pronounced "Yetiboy". Yet we say "Paree San Germang"...

Then there's the whole "Basle / Basel / B?le" thing. Like I say, it's a minefield.

The worst surely had to be Zaliukas.

It's not that hard is it?

Have you forgotten about Michael Popsicle?

3fingersreid

The one that always got me was Lauren Robert of Newcastle Utd

His surname is the same as my first name and it's

pronounced

Robert (saying the letter T) NOT Rober without it

pronounced

Hypercorrection

pronounced

I used to work with a French guy called Robert and he pronounced it like Rawberr.

A few years ago the Toronto Blue Jays had a player from the Dominican Republic call George Bell.  Simple enough name, right?

The Spanish speakers called him Horgay Bay-uh.

That James Rodriguez is another one.  Hammezz he pronounces his name, pretentious pr*ck!  Does that mean he gets called Heemmy for short?  Or Heem, or Heembo?

Have you forgotten about Michael Popsicle?

He certainly polar-iced opinion amongst commentators!

I P Knightley

That Jos? Mourinho is the worst. Imagine pronouncing a 'J' as an 'H'.

Eh? He's not Spanish; being Portuguese, he does pronounce the J properly.

(That's a 'Jay' not a 'Jye')

rossthejambo

pronounced

Since he's French it's pronounced without the T.

Unrelated to this post, I think bringing up place names that have English alternatives muddies the water a bit, people don't have different names for when they're in different countries so it's not the same thing.

tartofmidlothian

pronounced

Who's she? :whistling:

I seem to recall Archie Mcpherson calling Jankauskas:  yan-******-is.

Sounds like an affliction that would make your eyes water.

Archived