David Moyes

The Internet

At least he's trying :lol: Sounds a bit like me when I'm ordering drinks in a bar in Spain though, just saying the numbers in Spanish, the rest in a really broad Scottish accent.

The media in this country are weird, seen that on SSN this morning. One second they were ridiculing Moyes for atleast making an effort to say the few words he knows, the next praising some foreign Newcastle player for trying to fit in by saying a few words in 'geordie'.

Bloody cringeworthy but I've been here a year and I bet I don't sound a lot different. Surprised he never just said Cerveca at the end instead of times (should have been veces)  as that's usually the limit us Brits manage!!! At least he's trying. How is he doing by the way?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Why do British people cringe at others learning languages? Is it because we think it's beneath us?

Why do British people cringe at others learning languages? Is it because we think it's beneath us?

We don't. We cringe at people needlessly throwing a couple of basic numbers or words into a sentence where they are making no effort to speak the language.

What does moyes gain by doing that other than appearing patronising and confusing?

John Gentleman

I'm learning Polish at the minute, and it's getting easier just speaking it,  and not having to mentally translate and have like a second gap before I'm replying to a Polish person. Use it day to day so it helps.  Still a right pain though. Found German easier when I was younger.

Good on him for trying. Be better in the end than Barton could probably ever manage.

That's because Scots (Scottlish?) is a (west) Germanic language, whereas Polish is west Slavic. For Scots, I reckon German would be one of the easiest European languages to learn with (possibly) Danish not far behind.

I think native English speakers the world over are a wee bit lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages. That's because the Yanks have made it the de facto world language in its own ugly way (what happened to Esperanto?) and there's no pressing imperative to learn another. But with the rise of China, in a few year's time Mandarin might be taking a strong foothold. Now learning that would be a challenge!

Davie Moyes(from Tranent) never had a problem with language when playing over the border at Berwick.Indeed he helped manager Dave Smith converse with the locals.On moving to Meadowbank Moyesy found it more difficult to communicate with Terry Christie who he thought was a posh towny c*"t.(Davie didnt like smarmy headteachers)Things greatly improved on his move to Dunfermline where he and Leish were on the same wavelength mainly due to big Jims association with George McNeil(also from Tranent) who helped greatly with translation.

He should find Spanish a dawdle and bring his experience of league titles at the English and Fife clubs to Sociedad.Nice to see a local lad doing so well after his experience at Tranent Jnrs a few seasons ago

Good on him for trying. I put in a few words in Spanish like that when I started and I now I make my living with Spanish. He could have held on for a Premier League or Championship club or Celtic, but he went for the more difficult option.

Los que se r?en, ?a fre?r esp?rragos!

Good on him for trying. I put in a few words in Spanish like that when I started and I now I make my living with Spanish. He could have held on for a Premier League or Championship club or Celtic, but he went for the more difficult option.

Los que se r?en, ?a fre?r esp?rragos!

See, that's clever, I wish I could understand the use of the subjunctive!!!

See, that's clever, I wish I could understand the use of the subjunctive!!!

No subjunctive there. "se r?en" is present simple indicative, "fre?r" is the infinitive. ?Que se vayan a fre?r esp?rragos! would be present subjunctive.

"Butt and Benjamin" is about the best 20 quid I've ever spent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Reference-Grammar-Modern-Spanish/dp/1444137697/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417723628&sr=8-1&keywords=Butt+and+Benjamin

No subjunctive there. "se r?en" is present simple indicative, "fre?r" is the infinitive. ?Que se vayan a fre?r esp?rragos! would be present subjunctive.

"Butt and Benjamin" is about the best 20 quid I've ever spent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Reference-Grammar-Modern-Spanish/dp/1444137697/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417723628&sr=8-1&keywords=Butt+and+Benjamin

I've always said that Jambos Kickback is a classier affair than your average football fan's social media zone. Where else can you see a debate about the use of subjunctives.......

Archived