2006 Cup Final

MacDonald Jardine

MacDonald Jardine

I'm in the pub but there's a programme on SS1 about Gretna. They've just covered the final.

Two immediate thoughts.

Robbie Neilson's tackle gets better every time.

What a cheat the referee was.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

The Real Maroonblood

I'm in the pub but there's a programme on SS1 about Gretna. They've just covered the final.

Two immediate thoughts.

It was a fantastic tackle.

Also the penalties were sublime.

MacDonald Jardine

It was a fantastic tackle.

Also the penalties were sublime.

They were. My memory now is the penalties were never really in doubt.

Fair play to RN for taking one too.

Watched that too. Stuff of fairytales for the Gretna fans who's followed them for years and years.

My abiding memory was my head falling into my hands upon them equalising....and it staying there until Skelton skelped the bar.

Drink might've played a part...

Two immediate thoughts.

The SFA were absolutely desperate for Gretna to win and complete the fairytale.

The ref could barely hide his bias, we had an absolute stonewaller turned away in extra time, no way in hell were we ever getting a penalty in that game.

The Real Maroonblood

They were. My memory now is the penalties were never really in doubt.

Fair play to RN for taking one too.

Strangely out of our last 3 cup wins it's the one that seems to be the least talked about.

Strangely out of our last 3 cup wins it's the one that seems to be the least talked about.

While it was great to win the cup again I remember it being a bit of an anti-climax and just being relieved that we finally saw Gretna off.

The Real Maroonblood

While it was great to win the cup again I remember it being a bit of an anti-climax and just being relieved that we finally saw Gretna off.

I felt the same.

My celebrations were a bit muted compared to the other 2 wins.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Relief was my only emotion at the end. Had a great night celebrating, though.

Watching it reminded me of that stupid Hartley retaliation.

:facepalm:

Dougie McDonald couldn't wait to send off our best penalty taker before the penalties.

Also seem to remember Craig Gordon going metal as McDonald decided the penalties were being taken at the Grenta end.

I remember sh!tin' ma'sel' before the penalties. My mate turned to me and said "they'll all be brickin' it. They're up against Scotland's no1" -He knew.

Guest Prentice

I remember being a bit concerned when Robbie stepped up to take his penalty.How could I have possibly doubted him?

Absolutely this. I remember screaming for him to turn back and let someone else take it. Great bottle he had.

Kickback that night was a sad place that night. I got in after a night in robbos celebrating and a lot of posts were in the 'relief rather than celebration' category.

I was just delighted with our 2nd cup win in ny lifetime.

I remember speaking with Robbie at Tannadice when he was at utd and my bro said to him "I was s******g myself when you walked up to take a penalty". Robbie just laughed and said "don't worry, so was I!"

Thankfully all were great pens that day!

I felt much the same, think it was more to do with the semi being such a big occasion, I felt better after that than the actual cup final!! Was very strange indeed

I was sat next to the stairs.

When the penalties were being taken a guy a few places down from me couldn't watched and just watched my reactions.

:laugh:

Did anyone notice that Neilson was the most animated player on the pitch when Skacel scored? Was clearly before he attended the Paolo Sergio school of suaveness.

The game was torture but the occasion itself was fantastic; a tremendous cup final for Scottish football. I celebrated that evening and the next day as hard as the other two.

A cup win is a cup win, and add to that the fine run we had to the final.

Rudi scored a goal, hit the bar and had a stonewall penalty denied.  And yet this Levein bloke doesn't want him!

Bring back Billy Broon!

Loved 2006 atmosphere was buzzing all day, had my whole family there it was brilliant. Nerves shot to bits going into penaltys and even she'd a few tears when Skelton sky'd it. I missed out on the 98 final so this was my first one being there. Special day.

It really was an anti - climax. I remember, when waiting in a huge queue to get the train, some of the weegie locals thought we had just lost the cup. Every single Hearts fan was silent. I think we were all emotionally exhausted after what had went on that season, and the game v Gretna was the straw that broke the camel's back for many of us. When we got back to Edinburgh we all just went home instead of going out to celebrate. It was just a weird experience, but great at the same time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Winston Ingram

Hartley was stupid. Had already been booked. Had forgotten about the stonewall penalty, right enough.

Penalties were torture... remember the ending just being a relief. Actually the background celebration scenes in that Gretna show are more wild than I recall from time. 

Not an enjoyable game. We should've had it finished by half time, Dougie McCheat did his best to help Gretna, Hartley was stupid, penalties were torture etc...so it was mainly relief at the end. The celebrations back in Gorgie however were fantastic. Better than 98 celebrations for me as I was too blown away by it all and didn't really know what to do!

Ricardo Quaresma

Knew we had to prise that thing out of weegiville with a tin-opener

Once it was penalties, they had no chance

jambos are go!

I thought we were comfortably in charge from early on in the penalty shoot out. Anyone remember the scoring sequence?

Read later that Alan Main had decided to dive to the one side throughout the shoot out - left? All the kicks went to the other side IIRC. They were IMO overawed by Our Craig Gordon.

Fort Vallance

Thats how I felt. I think because winning the semi was such a massive relief

It really was an anti - climax. I remember, when waiting in a huge queue to get the train, some of the weegie locals thought we had just lost the cup. Every single Hearts fan was silent. I think we were all emotionally exhausted after what had went on that season, and the game v Gretna was the straw that broke the camel's back for many of us. When we got back to Edinburgh we all just went home instead of going out to celebrate. It was just a weird experience, but great at the same time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This was my aftermath experience too, stuck waiting on trains to get home, was still waiting at Mount Florida at 7pm then another hour waiting on a train at Queens Street, I remember feeling gutted hearing we had missed the team coming back along Gorgie Road, that had been a fantastic experience of the 98 win ( see Pointons video), it was after 10 before we got home to Haymarket by which time I was emotionally drained and wanted to go home.

The Sunday was a great day, and 2012 was wonderful too

Great way to win. Hibs fans would have started to dream when the game went to extra time then they would have been sat, pants at ankles, Kleenex at the ready when it went to penalties. Then their hope is shat on once again.

I thought we were comfortably in charge from early on in the penalty shoot out. Anyone remember the scoring sequence?

Read later that Alan Main had decided to dive to the one side throughout the shoot out - left? All the kicks went to the other side IIRC. They were IMO overawed by Our Craig Gordon.

Pressley Scored.

Gretna Scored.

Neilson Scored.

Gretna Scored.

Rudi Scored.

Craig Gordon Saved.

Pospisil Scored.

Skelton missed.

Fyssas never got to take no5.

Pressley Scored.

Gretna Scored.

Neilson Scored.

Gretna Scored.

Rudi Scored.

Craig Gordon Saved.

Pospisil Scored.

Skelton missed.

Fyssas never got to take no5.

I believe you but how do you know Fyssas was next up?

The People's Chimp

The ref was a cheating Hibs ****.

That has never been in doubt.

This. A dirty cheat, who did all he could to stop us winning. How did that work out for him again? 

:verysmug: 

Relief was my only emotion at the end. Had a great night celebrating, though.

We sure did! The Hearts were definitely having a party...

McDonald absolutely cheated. Throughout the game. A referee disgracing one of the most historic football occasions in the world to satisfy his own agenga. He might as well have taken a giant jobby in the cup itself.

How did his career end again?..... oh aye.

I believe you but how do you know Fyssas was next up?

Fyssas said after the match that he want the Gretna lad to score as he was due to take the next penalty and he wanted to score the one that won Hearts the cup.

McDonald absolutely cheated. Throughout the game. A referee disgracing one of the most historic football occasions in the world to satisfy his own agenga. He might as well have taken a giant jobby in the cup itself.

How did his career end again?..... oh aye.

Will never forget the sustained and very loud  abuse he got when he went up to collect his medal. 

Nothing strange about it. We almost made a James Blunt of it against a Mickey Mouse outfit. Doesn't really compare to beating Oldco or pumping the life out of Hibs.

Fyssas said after the match that he want the Gretna lad to score as he was due to take the next penalty and he wanted to score the one that won Hearts the cup.

This.

Archived