Most respected Hibs XI

Skippy Doodle

I only really remember Pat Stanton when he went to Celtic. So he is out the equation. The Thumb kept them up 2 years in a row, so of field aside, he is ruled out too because he was never a H1b5 player. Andy Goram was brilliant but off field he was/is a fud. So Le Decanter, Latapay and Goram. The rest are either shite or bigger fuds than talent.

Unfortunately. I can remember Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Edwards, Cropley, Gordon, O'Rourke & Duncan. That was before the bile started and real "Hibs Class" began to surface.

Exactly what I was going to post - used to get taken to Fester by a neighbour who was trting to convert the wee laddie.

I would have put Stanton at number 4 and Blackely at 6 though.

Great side even though I pished myself when they lost the second SC Final replay to Rangers!

FTH

Griffiths is good at football but, you know, choked in the biggest derby of all time. I've grown to respect Scott Brown as a player but still think he is overrated.

In all seriousness, Griffiths is the only Hibs player I have truly been scared of in my time as a Hearts fan. That's probably been in part because of our superiority over them.

Maiden Gorgie

Good idea for a thread by the OP.

Would agree with his starting XI too but i would maybe shoehorn in the guy who scored against us and ended up at Villa. Cannae remember his name though! South American chap.

Good idea for a thread by the OP.

Would agree with his starting XI too but i would maybe shoehorn in the guy who scored against us and ended up at Villa. Cannae remember his name though! South American chap.

Del A Cruz?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Maiden Gorgie

Del A Cruz?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

That's him. Scored a raker against us but never really got going at Fester Road. Always thought he looked decent though

King of the North

Honestly? I have never respected a single Hibs player. In my entire life there have been maybe four that I honestly thought were good players, and i had even more disrespect for them than the rest, for wasting their time at that utter shitehole of an organisation.

I'd rather have worded it something like, least hated Hibs XI. There's a lot of players who've played for them which I can't recall a reason to dislike them as an individual.

But, I have no ounce of respect for that club or anything associated with them whatsoever.

Respect can only be demanded while acting with class.

Skippy Doodle

I'd rather have worded it something like, least hated Hibs XI. There's a lot of players who've played for them which I can't recall a reason to dislike them as an individual.

But, I have no ounce of respect for that club or anything associated with them whatsoever.

Respect can only be demanded while acting with class.

Fair point

Ivan sproule was really fast and horrific at football. Fysass dominated him effortlessly. Respect for ivan sproule, as a footballer or human being after him stamping on a hearts player, makes me want to throw up.

Unfortunately. I can remember Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Edwards, Cropley, Gordon, O'Rourke & Duncan. That was before the bile started and real "Hibs Class" began to surface.

You have to admit that was a great team - and I was there that day. Would also mention the likes of Goram, Collins, Marinello, Best (pre-Hibs, fair to say), O'Connor, Cormack.

Firstly none of the team you've chosen would touch the team Turnbull assembled but as to " most respected "well away and throw shite at the moon

I've never listened to the show ,seems that's been a good choice if this is an example of the topics good luck tho

The point of the show is that there are both Hearts and Hibs fans involved in the debate so it is not intended to take a one sided view of things or descend into a bun fight. The Hibs fans will be asked the same question about the Hearts players they respected.

For me, who started watching Hearts during the Turnbull era, there were a few great Hibs players in that team. I'd single out Stanton and Brownlie. Since then, Sauzee is an obvious choice, and I was pleased on a couple of occasions when Scott Brown was unavailable to play against us.

Fair point

Not really, I think your OP is fair, we don't have to despise everyone who pulled on a Hibs shirt and I would imagine the majority of reasonably minded Hearts fans will admit to having admired the odd Hibs player along the years. That doesn't mean we like him, just grudgingly admire that he was a damn decent player. Andy Goram in the 3-1 game for example.

Voice of reason

As a little experiment for the Monday Night Fitba show I have decided to ask hearts fans to pick their favourite/respected hibs XI during their lifetime. I will keep checking this page for new entries and also on our facebook page and @MNFITBA so feel free to post there as well. During one of our future shows we will discuss some of the teams and give our own personal selections and reasons for them. Below you will see the hibs team I picked covering 94-2014

Goalkeeper ? Daniel Andersson. The Swede was only at the club for one season but is the most dependable and solid keeper I have seen at the club since Andy Goram left. I?m quite suprised he only gained one solitary cap for his country given his obvious attributes. Was a key figure in the clubs league cup triumphs over Celtic & Rangers that year. still playing for Helsingborgs at the fair old age of 41.

Right Back ? David Gray. Has really impressed me since joining in the summer. Looks capable both defensively and in a more advanced wing back role and looks like a more capable captain than craig or hanlon. A very suprising success story given his less than impressive CV.

Left Back ? David Murphy. Hibs fans should be thankful for his lack of pace because if a yard quicker this lad would have played for a top half team in the premiership for a number of years and would never have been seen in a hibs jersey. Injuries have blighted his career but when fully fit there were very few full backs in this country as consistent as him.

Sweeper ? I am not a fan of the sweeper role but felt i needed to make this exception just to make a space for Frank Sauzee. I still can?t quite understand how Alex Mcleish managed to persuade the frenchman to ply his trade in the scottish first division but his signing seemed to give the club the boost the needed at a difficult time. Great reader of the game and a gentleman to boot.

Centre Back ? Ulrik Laursen. A very imposing centre half who could hold is own in a very physical SPL but was also very capable on the deck. Went onto have a decent spell with celtic where he impressed in a couple of positions.

Right Midfield ? Steven Whittaker. Always rated him more as a wide mifielder than as a full back. Great energy and decent pace with a shot that packed a punch. Always seemed to handle life as a footballer in a more professional manner than some of his fellow golden generation.

Left Midfield ? Kevin Mcallister. Maybe inconsistent but on his day a superb old fashioned winger who had a bag of tricks and although recognised more through his spells with Falkirk, he still had a decent spell with the hibees.

Centre Midfield ? Scott Brown. I must admit I still yearn to see the energetic,snarling and technically sound scott brown of old. I feel he has stagnated at Celtic and has rested on his laurels. At Hibs he looked the complete midfielder and under the guidance of Mowbray looked like becoming a star in England.

Centre Midfield ? Russell Latapy. One of the most gifted midfielders I have witnessed at Tynecastle and even in his later years at Falkirk would cause all sorts of problems with his movement and vision. His goal in the 6-2 derby is one of the best scored in a derby during my lifetime. His antics off the field maybe resulted in a sour end to his time at Easter Road but in general he came across as a great role model on the park for his younger team mates.

Forward ? Mixu Paatelainen. Great battering ram of a frontman who overcame a sticky start to his hibs career to win over the fans. Also good on the deck and scored a memorable hat-trick in the 6/2 derby.

Forward ? Darren Jackson. Kept Hibs up almost single handedly in his final year at the club. Never had electric pace on the ball but great at finding space in the final third and had great composure also. A great servant to both edinburgh clubs and to this day still handles himself well in interviews.

A couple of unnecessary 6-2 references in there just to suck up to the Hibs fans. The Latapy goal in that game has been bettered in two derbies this year alone with the goals from Sam and Alim. Mixu was a big huddy who is a bit like Wayne Foster for us - famed for one good Derby but very average overall.

Michael O'Neill, Keith Wright and John Collins were all good players and role models. In recent years all their better players have been horrible people: Griffiths, Riordan, Stokes and Brown. Steven Fletcher has proved to be a good striker although only really after he left Easter Road. Basically, in the last 20 years they have not had players of the class of those at Tynecastle. It's hard to respect players who are inferior to what you are watching every week.

Skippy Doodle

A couple of unnecessary 6-2 references in there just to suck up to the Hibs fans. The Latapy goal in that game has been bettered in two derbies this year alone with the goals from Sam and Alim. Mixu was a big huddy who is a bit like Wayne Foster for us - famed for one good Derby but very average overall.

Michael O'Neill, Keith Wright and John Collins were all good players and role models. In recent years all their better players have been horrible people: Griffiths, Riordan, Stokes and Brown. Steven Fletcher has proved to be a good striker although only really after he left Easter Road. Basically, in the last 20 years they have not had players of the class of those at Tynecastle. It's hard to respect players who are inferior to what you are watching every week.

To be honest Collins goram and Archibald were just before my time and I found O'Neill to be quite inconsistent. Wright for mixu is a good shout though. The 6-2 reference is relevant as performance s in derbys are what helped shape my opinions on these players

Not really, I think your OP is fair, we don't have to despise everyone who pulled on a Hibs shirt and I would imagine the majority of reasonably minded Hearts fans will admit to having admired the odd Hibs player along the years. That doesn't mean we like him, just grudgingly admire that he was a damn decent player. Andy Goram in the 3-1 game for example.

Well said.

Agree with Goram. A fantastic keeper. Would also throw in Michael O'Neill, Collins & Durie.

I would like to take the opportunity to say:

**** the Hibs. **** their supporters. **** their straw clutching desperate-to-grab-onto-anything-to-plaster-over-the-cracks wee team mentality.

I will never show that joke of a football team anything that remotely resembles respect.

****s.

WTF!!!!

I've read some dross on here but this takes the biscuit!

"Most respected"?? Any respect I had for anything connected to this Club was destroyed when their bitter fans did all possible to terminate MY Club!

Agreed. Utter bullshit of highest order

The point of the show is that there are both Hearts and Hibs fans involved in the debate so it is not intended to take a one sided view of things or descend into a bun fight. The Hibs fans will be asked the same question about the Hearts players they respected.

For me, who started watching Hearts during the Turnbull era, there were a few great Hibs players in that team. I'd single out Stanton and Brownlie. Since then, Sauzee is an obvious choice, and I was pleased on a couple of occasions when Scott Brown was unavailable to play against us.

I'm guessing that you'll get the same reply from them , pretty much stick your "respect" where the sun don't shine , however that's not to say that both Hearts and hibs fans don't doubt certain players were good/great players I just think respect is the wrong choice of word

Feel sorry for the OP. He came on asking a genuine question for the show.

In my time Hibs have been a very bitter team. So I can't really say but the older folk in here who watched good hibs teams of the past must have some decent players. My dad told me as a kid they would alternate between tynecastle and easter road. There hasn't always been the hate and bile there is today.

Generic Username

Canny believe the mess some folk have got themselves into over the word "respect".

Literally, and I mean literally, no one cares about your A HATE HUBZ MOAR THAN U patter (and the one's you think do care, don't, because they're too swept up in their own bile and typing their own repsonse with their face to acknowledge your seethe). This nonsense "jambo-dick-measuring" some folk do is staggering to take in.

Seriously, how could you actually be angry when it comes to Hibs? How can they raise anything more than a chuckle from you when you hear them mentioned?

I'd have maybe just went with best Hibs XI in your lifetime, I know it wasn't the OP's intention but the use of the word respect was probably the optimum way to wind up some people on here!

From when I started attending games way back in 1993:

Leighton (despite mistakes against Hearts)

Whittaker

Sauzee

Laursen

Murphy

McGinlay

Brown

Latapy

Jackson

Griffiths

O'Connor

We get it. We hate Hibs. They're our rivals, that's natural. But surely any normal HMFC supporter can come up with a Hibs XI choosing a side made up of players who have had the most ability of all those players we've come to watch over the years?

Personally, I'd be interested to hear what a Hibs supporters opinion would be on their thoughts on a Hearts side over the years.

I was a season or two too young for Goram and Collins otherwise they would obviously be in the team.

Andersson

De La Cruz

Sauzee

Laursen

Murphy

O'Neill (Michael)

Latapy

Brown

Riordan

Wright (Keith)

Griffiths

We get it. We hate Hibs. They're our rivals, that's natural. But surely any normal HMFC supporter can come up with a Hibs XI choosing a side made up of players who have had the most ability of all those players we've come to watch over the years?

Personally, I'd be interested to hear what a Hibs supporters opinion would be on their thoughts on a Hearts side over the years.

I was a season or two too young for Goram and Collins otherwise they would obviously be in the team.

Andersson

De La Cruz

Sauzee

Laursen

Murphy

O'Neill (Michael)

Latapy

Brown

Riordan

Wright (Keith)

Griffiths

Yeh I can just imagine the response if a similar Hearts thread was posted on bitters.net!

Absolutely no interest whatsoever in this dross.

Andersson

De La Cruz

Sauzee

Laursen

Murphy

O'Neill (Michael)

Latapy

Brown

Riordan

Wright (Keith)

Griffiths

I'm not surprised we own these muppets if that is their Best XI

WTF!!!!

I've read some dross on here but this takes the biscuit!

"Most respected"?? Any respect I had for anything connected to this Club was destroyed when their bitter fans did all possible to terminate MY Club! :spoton:

Anderson

Murphy

Laursen

Jones

Whittaker

Riordan

Latapy

Sauzee

Brown

Mixu

Fletcher

3 current scottish internationals that played last night including the captain a champions league winner, national manager and a guy that scored over 100 goals for the club. Not too bad.

Hibs.net doesn't represent the majority of hibs fans and the actions of a kid on hibs fan on a boat somewhere in England especially doesn't. The majority of Hibs fans get on with hearts fans away from the Internet and didn't want hearts to go bust. What would be the point in that? Next seasons going to be shite for us with no Derby stuck in this league.

Anderson

Murphy

Laursen

Jones

Whittaker

Riordan

Latapy

Sauzee

Brown

Mixu

Fletcher

3 current scottish internationals that played last night including the captain a champions league winner, national manager and a guy that scored over 100 goals for the club. Not too bad.

Hibs.net doesn't represent the majority of hibs fans and the actions of a kid on hibs fan on a boat somewhere in England especially doesn't. The majority of Hibs fans get on with hearts fans away from the Internet and didn't want hearts to go bust. What would be the point in that? Next seasons going to be shite for us with no Derby stuck in this league.

I have a lot of Hibs friends. To a man they wanted us dead and buried. They will always be my friends however, if their club is ever in peril, again then **** them. Last season was a game changer for me when it comes to Hibs.

Seriously sh1te thread. Don't respect any

H1b5 players, it's a foul, absolutely rotten club

Andy Goran was outstanding in end of season game at Tynie in 1991, just before he signed for Rangers when in first game gifted a first minute goal to us scored by Scott Crabbe. In that Hibs game he was applauded and name sung by Hearts fans after one of several great saves that saved a real 6/7 goal thrashing.

For a short while quite impressed by Roirdan and O'Connor.

But all the good Hibs players were in the 1950s before my time.

The White Cockade

The Hibs team of the 70's was class

Glad they have never been remotely close to that standard since as when I started watching Hearts

the best result we ever seemed to get against them was 0-0 and we usually got beaten

Different story these days!

However even that team they had back then didn't win many trophies mostly because at that time

the Old Firm completely dominated the Scottish game a lot more than they have done in recent years

Hibs have been nothing since the Tom Hart days

Before my time in the 50's they also had a great team with the Famous Five etc and in those days a lot

of fans went to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next

Gav Aitchison

If forced......

Gordon Marshall

Alan Maybury

Roy Barry

Willie Jamieson

Brian Hamilton

Michael Stewart

Paul Hartley

Darren Jackson

Eamonn Bannon

Gordon Durie

Gordon Smith

If forced......

Gordon Marshall

Alan Maybury

Roy Barry

Willie Jamieson

Brian Hamilton

Michael Stewart

Paul Hartley

Darren Jackson

Eamonn Bannon

Gordon Durie

Gordon Smith

That's kind of where I am. Also I rate Whittaker as a player and is he not from a family of Hearts supporters ? But when I think of him playing for Hibs at Tynecastle, Rudi giving him a torrid time is uppermost in my thoughts.

Skippy Doodle

Cheers for the all the feedback so far guys. It's good to even see all the various levels of dislike some of us have for our neighbours compared to others

I have a lot of Hibs friends. To a man they wanted us dead and buried. They will always be my friends however, if their club is ever in peril, again then **** them. Last season was a game changer for me when it comes to Hibs.

Might just be pub talk but deep down would be stupid to want main rivals bust.

Archived