Scotland Squad

Harry Palmer

For Georgia (11th Oct) and Poland (14th Oct).

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Celtic)

David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)

Craig Forsyth (Derby County)

Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion)

Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)

Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)

Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)

Andrew Robertson (Hull City)

Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders

Ikechi Anya (Watford)

Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Craig Bryson (Derby County)

Chris Burke (Nottingham Forest)

Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Ryan Gauld (Sporting Clube de Portugal)

Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)

James McArthur (Crystal Palace)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Forwards

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)

Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday)

Chris Martin (Derby County)

Steven Naismith (Everton)

Ryan Gauld and Stevie May! I trust Stachan implicitly although I do sometimes question his defiant selection and first teaming of a wee ginger guy. OK Gordon, Barry Bannnan, he's wee ginger and Scottish, but he's not your boy......is he?

Only really one worry in defence for me - who partners Russell Martin.

Hutton and Robertson both playing well in the EPL. Martin has proven himself a strong player at this level.

Hanley did himself no favours in Germany and I'm not sold on Greer. Berra playing very well at Ipswich but we really need a long term option in there.

I'm really enjoying Scotland at the moment. We'll benefit from Scott Brown's 'pest factor' next to Darren Fletcher, Ikechi Anya has been a revelation, Naismith playing out of his skin down south too. I think Snodgrass would be an automatic pick when fit, so really just a third midfielder (over time definitely Gauld) and a partner for Martin that's up for grabs.

Ryan Gauld and Stevie May! I trust Stachan implicitly although I do sometimes question his defiant selection and first teaming of a wee ginger guy. OK Gordon, Barry Bannnan, he's wee ginger and Scottish, but he's not your boy......is he?

Gauld's fine young talented player who'll benefit from being around the squad, May is a goal scorer and bang in form so no problems there. Barry Bannan your spot on he must be related he's utter gash! And this Jordan Rhodes thing is getting embarrassing.

McGregor

Hutton Martin Berra Robertson

D. Fletcher Brown

Morrison (?) Naismith Anya

S. Fletcher

For me the main question marks in there are who plays right wing in Snodgrass' absence and if the centre halves can deal with Lewandowski at all in the second game. Fletcher made a difference when he came on against Germany and is exactly what we need to link up with Anya and Naismith, who would be better played in a bit deeper like he often does for Everton.

Guys like May, Gauld, Bryson are decent guys to be blooding with a view to the future as well.

Only really one worry in defence for me - who partners Russell Martin.

Hutton and Robertson both playing well in the EPL. Martin has proven himself a strong player at this level.

Hanley did himself no favours in Germany and I'm not sold on Greer. Berra playing very well at Ipswich but we really need a long term option in there.

I'm really enjoying Scotland at the moment. We'll benefit from Scott Brown's 'pest factor' next to Darren Fletcher, Ikechi Anya has been a revelation, Naismith playing out of his skin down south too. I think Snodgrass would be an automatic pick when fit, so really just a third midfielder (over time definitely Gauld) and a partner for Martin that's up for grabs.

Danny Wilson perhaps in the future but no chance this season

Alan Hutton.....known to me and my fellow watchers of the comedy that is the scottish national team as either.....

R2 or 3PO

Absolute useless.

I'm assuming Jordan Rhodes is a complete *****? Not sure what other reason there is for different to managers repeatedly overlook him.

I'm assuming Jordan Rhodes is a complete *****? Not sure what other reason there is for different to managers repeatedly overlook him.

It's statements like that with no basis in fact that get players a bad name.

If you read previous interviews with Strachan and Rhodes the reasons are clear and they are footballing reasons not the attitude of the player

How long to we have someone in the big squad and who will it be?

For me it will be Jordan McGhee in 2 years, views.

Paterson or Nicholson I think (Is Keatings Scottish?)

Would like to have seen Ross McCormack in the squad at least. Strachan does things his way so I'm not going to greet prematurely.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Alan Hutton.....known to me and my fellow watchers of the comedy that is the scottish national team as either.....

R2 or 3PO

Absolute useless.

Hutton's playing really well in the EPL this year.

Paterson or Nicholson I think (Is Keatings Scottish?)

Nicholson, Wilson, or McGhee are our most likely.

Wilson is not far away from the finished article,.............. the other guys have time on their side and on all the evidence I have seen should be firm candidates in a few years time.

Strachan as as said in the past that Rhodes doesn't fit in the system he wants to play.

If it's not working and you need a goal I would want him on my bench

Strachan as as said in the past that Rhodes doesn't fit in the system he wants to play.

Rhodes is barely playing that well for Blackburn tbh so doesn't really deserve a call up.

I don't have too many problems with that squad. Can't think of anyone who is more deserving of a call up ahead of people in the squad which is a nice change.

Wilson is not far away from the finished article,.............. the other guys have time on their side and on all the evidence I have seen should be firm candidates in a few years time.

You dont think Paterson once he gets back to full fitness and back playing in the SPL next season?

Agree completely with these also King and Paterson have a good chance too!

Don't like to criticise any of our players but Billy King would have to improve one hell of a lot to become a full internationalist.

Do the folk who continually batter into Hutton and Bannan actually watch Scotland? They've both been excellent for us irrespective of their club form.

Centre half is our problem position. Rhodes I'd have in the squad but Strachan cleary rates others higher which he's entitled to. His record as manager earns him the right.

Gordon back in goals please.

UnbelievableJeff

King and Nicholson are the stand out Scotland prospects for me. Not for this campaign probably but I would imagine for the next one.

I don't see anyone else in our squad who is knocking on the door or will be anytime soon. Wilson maybe if he takes a leap forward. Paterson no chance. Holt maybe ? Neil Alexander still in with a shout ?

Do the folk who continually batter into Hutton and Bannan actually watch Scotland? They've both been excellent for us irrespective of their club form.

It's a fair point. Thought Bannan was pretty good against Germany.

Hope I am wrong but I think Strachan's honeymoon period is about to come to a crashing halt.

Its all very well having a wee run when its friendlies but the majority of these players are just not good enough for major competition.

I hope that's just me being a typical Scottish pessimist.

I'll stick Carrick's name into the mix for a future cap. Carrick is improving with every game, his movement, touch, pace, passing, finishing and speed of thought are every bit as good as Fletchers and Naismiths were at his age. Stevie May is slightly ahead of Carrick but is a year or two older. I can honestly see May and Carrick going on to be Premiership players in the next 2-3 years.

I think Carrick is the biggest prospect we have at the club, based entirely on the rate he has improved from last year when he looked completely out his depth both physically and mentally. His goal against Hibs in the "party" derby seems to have been the catalyst to his progression.

It's statements like that with no basis in fact that get players a bad name.

If you read previous interviews with Strachan and Rhodes the reasons are clear and they are footballing reasons not the attitude of the player

Get a grip it was a question not a statement.

Rhodes has been repeatedly left out of Scotland sides despite being by far Scotland's most prolific striker at a decent level. Leaving him out for footballing reasons yet including the likes of Fletcher who's scored three goals domestically in the best bit of two years is nonsense.

Even if the footballing reasons are 'work rate' related, Kris Boyd's been capped more recently FFS.

Our centre halves are our biggest concern, our own Wilson is no where near ready which was highlighted how far he has to go to be a top player with his performance against the tims, would love to see him in a Scotland strip but if he keeps making the same mistakes against half decent opposition then he won't get that chance, IMO the only reason Hanley keeps getting picked is he is very physical and somehow manages to make up for most of his errors with last ditch tackles, he's certainly entertaining to watch at times.

indeed i follow scotland a lot and Bannan has been very good for Scotland, especially at away games in Germany, Croatia and Macedonia.

Hutton has been pretty consistent for Scotland and now he is back playing regularly for Villa and very well he fully deserves the right back role.

Would like to have seen Bardsley in the squad and thought Rhodes would have been a decent option from the bench for the Georgia game as well.

The problem with Rhodes is he cant play in Strachans preferred system with one up top, he tried it a few times and most notably in Serbia where he played like he had been out on the piss with the tartan army the night before.

still a decent option to have in the squad though.

Certainly an opening for Wilson if he can keep improving as it is a weak position. Scotlands best centre halves over the last 20 years have all seemed to come when they have had a bit of experience in their mid 20's

Weir, Pressley, Hendry, Calderwood, Dailly

You dont think Paterson once he gets back to full fitness and back playing in the SPL next season?

Not for me mate.

I like Paterson, and he has done really well for us, but his first touch continually lets him down.

Can't really afford that on the international scene.

Can't believe Barry Bannan consistently makes the Scotland squad!

Beat me to it. Not even sure what he does at club level let alone international.

I'm another who's surprised by Gauld. Especially being in the B team at Sporting.

Fair enough Rhodes hasn't had the greatest starts to a season 4 goals in 9 league games. The past 2 seasons he's scored 52 in total inc cup etc. how can that be overlooked? I think their must be something else in it. We haven't got a more prolific striker!

Archived