Marvellous, the Neil Baldwin story

Tazio

I've not seen this anywhere on the forum but did anyone watch this on BBC2?

Story of a man with learning difficulties and his incredible life including being the kit man at Stoke City. Great stuff about the football times in his life including playing in a testimonial against Aston Villa.

A brilliant heart warming piece of film making, grab it while you can if it is on iPlayer. i can't guarantee you won't have a wee something in your eye though.

The ridiculous thing about Marvellous is that it is all true.

The Macari clip above is a belter and appeared an an end of season video.

A friend recommended it and we watched it last night. it's like a British Forrest Gump but all based on truth. Amazing, warm and just really enjoyable film.

I read the BBC blog and spotted this in the comments just to show you couldn't have squeezed every story or anecdote in

"Like many other people I knewNeil in the seventies. It was generally surreal. I went to his birthday party in a hall of residence in Horward Hall which he had arranged with my fiend Dave and his girlfriend Gill. His mum came too. The background musics was the L.P of princess Anne's wedding to Mark Phillips. It was embarrassing. We were the only ones there. then some members of the Christian Union showed up. God bless them I thought! I was trying to secrete myself away when the mayor of Newcastle under Lyme showed up, with the chain and everything,!"

• 2 weeks later...
Malinga the Swinga

Just watched Marvellous and was great viewing. The clip with Macari doing the interview is something that will be hard to beat. If it wSn't a true story, you could've have made it up.

Archived