Who have been Hearts best wingers?

Sydney

Since I started watching Hearts (in the late 70's) I would have my top two wingers as:

John Colquhoun

Neil McCann

But thinking about who would be my third favourite is harder as we've had quite a lot of pretty decent wingers in our time:

Allan Johnston

Andy Driver

David Templeton

Miko

Cesnauskas

Jean-Louis Valois

Juanjo

I only get to watch games on TV really, so how do the young boys today compare (King, Walker, Nicholson, etc.) and who would be your TOP THREE wingers from Hearts?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skacel?

I thought about Skacel, as he played wide left for most of his first period at Hearts.

In my "best ever" Hearts team, I swither between him and McCann on the left - but I would say that McCann was more of a winger, and Skacel was more of a wide midfielder.

letsalldothebeattie

McCann was class first time around. Up there as one of my all time favourite players for the club.

Going on today's wingers King & Nicholson are miles ahead of Jamie Walker. I don't think Walker has what it takes unlike King & Nicholson.

If we keep Sam & Billy for another year or 2 I think they could be up with the best we have had at the club. Certainly in my time. In my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gregory House M.D.

I actually think Billy King is under-rated. The laddies brilliant and the best corner taker we've had in a while, which can't be undervalued. The assists he'll notch up in a Hearts jersey will be massive and he appears to have the goals to go with it.

We've been blessed with wingers, LB's and CB's over the years.

Got to be JC. One of my big time heroes. He scored a late equaliser agaisnt his previous club on his home dubut. I'm pretty sure that was the first point of the amazing run that led to Dens in '86.

letsalllaughathobos

Billy king and Sam Nicholson could be as good or better than any that have been mentionedd,

My all time fab has to be Neil McCann, after his performance in the cup final at parkhead,(1996) I think, the 3-4 game,

Got to be JC. One of my big time heroes. He scored a late equaliser agaisnt his previous club on his home dubut. I'm pretty sure that was the first point of the amazing run that led to Dens in '86.

Scored it about 4 minutes in too IIRC

EDIT just checked, it was in 28th minute, funny how the mind plays tricks eh?

Cairneyhill Jambo

Probably Neil McCann or John Colquhoun.

Stuart Callaghan was a great winger but was never really given a chance.

jambos are go!

Bobby Prentice was the ultimate entertainer. In terms of achievement it has to be Johnny Hamilton followed by Ian Crawford. Both played regularly,scored goals and won trophies in great Hearts Teams. As did Gordon Smith over a shorter period. Along with Willie Johnston he was a fantastic footballer. So was Roald Jensen.

Based on my fan life I'll let my head rule my heart and say Wee Hammy based on achievement.

Got to give mention to Kenny Aird a very good winger who could score goals as well. Bobby Prentice was a genius but think Sam Nicholson is looking like he could be the best!

Almost right. He did score on his debut but it was to put us 1-0 up. The late equaliser was at the other end unfortunately.

Does Skacel count as a left-sided midfielder in 05/06? If so, he's the best.

If Rudi doesn't count, then JC in 85/86, although he played some of his best football for us after that as a forward.

Neil McCann deserves a mention too (1995 - 98).

Would definitely want to nominate Willie Johnston to be in any hearts team, not just for his amazing skill on the wing but also brought us that Kevin Kyle factor - able to fire up team mates and punters to drive at teams (also would gave the crowd a brown eye on request which was a bit unusual)

Would definitely want to nominate Willie Johnston to be in any hearts team, not just for his amazing skill on the wing but also brought us that Kevin Kyle factor - able to fire up team mates and punters to drive at teams (also would gave the crowd a brown eye on request which was a bit unusual)

can mind him waiting to come on as a sub,and walking behind the linesman with one hand on his hip and the other in the air,limp wristed

Walter Bishop

John Colqhoun and Neil McCann in my time watching Hearts. Eamon Bannon aswell deserves a shout as does Aidy Boothroyd! My old man tells me Bobby Prentice was very good also.

Good to see the old timers mention guys like Aird, Traynor, Prentice who I remember with fond memories. In the modern era ie recent times it's a dead heat between McCann and JC for me. IMO MCann just shades it - in 1998 he was just sublime and I can't believe we ever a managed to get him.

John Colquhoun, Bobby Prentice, Neil McCann, Kenny Aird, wee Suso...we have been blessed with some fantastic wingers over the years.

Malcolm Roberrson is first one I remember so fond memories of him. Since 1978 nobody I've seen could touch JC on the right and McCann on the left. If we'd had Willie Johnston in his pomp I'd have voted for him as no.1. Wish I'd seen Bobby Prentice and a couple of the 60's guys.

Of this year's crop, Wee Sam has a chance of bettering the above and Billy King is exceeding my expectations. Sadly, Jamie Walker is a bit off it at the moment I feel. Plenty time though and hopefully just a blip.

fraz the postie

Was Thomas Floggel a winger ?,or right side of midfield ?,didn't do much wrong if my memory serves me well.

Suso in the same sentence as JC? It's all about opinions but JC was an international player who should have had many more caps. Suso was so-so.

Bobby Prentice was the ultimate entertainer. In terms of achievement it has to be Johnny Hamilton followed by Ian Crawford. Both played regularly,scored goals and won trophies in great Hearts Teams. As did Gordon Smith over a shorter period. Along with Willie Johnston he was a fantastic footballer. So was Roald Jensen.

Based on my fan life I'll let my head rule my heart and say Wee Hammy based on achievement.

I'd go with that.

If anyone has mentioned suso hang your head in shame. Good value for a comedy act and making me seethe whilst in disbelief but that's it.

prentice

If anyone has mentioned suso hang your head in shame. Good value for a comedy act and making me seethe whilst in disbelief but that's it.

prentice

Would not put Suso up there with the best we have had but to label the guy a comedy act is comedy gold itself.

It was only 2-1 in the cup final when he picked up the ball. 20 seconds of outrageous pace, power and skill later and they are down to ten men and we have a penalty. Cup won.

All of the above, we have been a bit spoilt on the winger front over the years. (To say Suso was a comedy act - holy shit :facepalm:)

Watching Sam Nicholson on Saturday, he makes David Templeton look like a cart horse BTW.

Each to their own opinion but I can't see how you can label someone one of the best wingers we've had over getting one penalty.

Each to their own opinion but I can't see how you can label someone one of the best wingers we've had over getting one penalty.

Aye, that's all Suso ever did right enough. Let me guess, you labelled him as a Spanish Waiter on day 1 and were too embarrassed to change your opinion.

:facepalm:

Dunno about best winger, but if Nicholson and King stay for a few seasons they have the potential already to be the best pairing weve had. Unreal how well they linked up on Saturday.

Only caught the tail end of JC's career and I don't really count Skacel as a winger so for me it's got to be Neil McCann.

There was a spell when he was simply unplayable. The performance in the LC Final was probably the best in cup final history for a player on the losing side. They had 3 players marking him by the end of the game.

I also remember him scoring identical goals 2 home games in a row, where he skinned about 3 players in the middle of the park in a mazy run from half way, before popping it into the top corner from the edge of the box.

The chip against Hibs at ER and of course the performance in the '98 cup final win...

I could go on all day.

Only caught the tail end of JC's career and I don't really count Skacel as a winger so for me it's got to be Neil McCann.

There was a spell when he was simply unplayable. The performance in the LC Final was probably the best in cup final history for a player on the losing side. They had 3 players marking him by the end of the game.

I also remember him scoring identical goals 2 home games in a row, where he skinned about 3 players in the middle of the park in a mazy run from half way, before popping it into the top corner from the edge of the box.

The chip against Hibs at ER and of course the performance in the '98 cup final win...

I could go on all day.

One v Dunfermline??

One v Dunfermline??

Think so and the other was against Raith/Dundee/Falkirk (they wore dark blue anyway) was the game I had to stop my old man banjoing some fud in the School End. All game was tearing into McCann and my dad was telling him to shut up only for McCann to pop one in the top corner and the knob turned to my dad and goes "aye well he's still shite" and he lost the plot with me and Malky hanging off him :rofl:

It's JC and McCann for me.

Archived