Edinburgh's embarrassing lack of modern sports, concert event venues

Boozyuzi

After the closing down of the HMV Picture House, which to be honest was pretty small as is was, it seems the Corn Exchange is the biggest concert venue in the city.

After rejecting the Hydro and it going to Glasgow, it now means that Glasgow has two major concert venues within yards of each other, while we effectively have none, apart from Bill Bailey tooting horns at the castle and the rare concert at Murrayfield.

I think the Hydro and SECC are both amazing venues, but the fact I could/should have seen Depeche Mode and Madness in Edinburgh just a bus journey away is annoying.

2 of my fave groups right there! DM was one of the last concerts I was at before I naffed out of the UK, in Glasgow of course and with so many pished people around us it was not the best experience.....guy next to us was so drunk he had his head in hands almost the entire show!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bilel Mohsni

Agree about the lack of venues. Our council gives not a shiny shit though. As for Glasgow studio backdrop, nah. It's alright, but Edinburgh is more beautiful. The areas around all three of Glasgows stadia are shit holes.

Are we not the only country in Europe in fact, where more money is spent on the second city rather than the capital? Sure I read that somewhere...

King Of The Cat Cafe

Edinburgh is going to have the best football complex in the country soon though once Heriott Watt is completed.

And they could always host the Winter Olympics at Hillend.

Used to have a cassette bootleg of that same gig - funnily enough I bought it at Ingliston Market bookleg stall :)

Same as you still have my tour shirt from 83 - have a big box of old tour shirts the kids used to dress up in them when they were younger and pretend they were 'rockers' :)

DSC03504_zps61b7c884.jpg

Absolutely brilliant photo.....is that a Y&T one on the left as well?

Strangely mine seem more suited in size to the kids now as well....guess they must have shrunk due to repeated washings over the years!!! :whistling:

queensferryjambo

Absolutely brilliant photo.....is that a Y&T one on the left as well?

Strangely mine seem more suited in size to the kids now as well....guess they must have shrunk due to repeated washings over the years!!! :whistling:

Yes Y&T from the Mean Streak tour at The Playhouse in 83 as well. My kids are 6 in that photo I was at High School when I bought those shirts. They wouldn't fit over my fat head these days let alone over my belly.

My favourite thing about Glasgow is the roving gangs of threatening jakeball neds that mull about after dark all over the city centre :)

Not been since the 1960's I assume.

City Centre is fine at night and no better/worse than most cities in the UK.

It's not just about concerts though, how would Edinburgh be able to bid for any sporting event with the lack of 6,000 to 10,000 seat venue ? Countries all over Europe bid on events like basketball, handball, ice skating etc. Helps fill the hotels but also inspires the kids and also creates a bit of a buzz in the city.

Not much in the city if you are a 20 something nowadays.

The main problem is that for at least 3 decades Glasgow has been given hundreds of millions of pounds to build new facilities while Edinburgh is treated like shit. No London government was ever going to help The Capital and the Glasgow mafia that ran Scotland look after their own.

Compare the funding for rebuilding Murrayfield ?5,000,000 and hampden ?52,000,000. Compare he way Edinburgh had to scrabble for funds to rebuild The Festival theatre and the Usher Hall with the ?20,000,000 thrown at the glasgow royal concert hall.

The EICC would have been larger from the start but was denied funds to prevent it competing with the gecc. It's a matter of public record. The NHMF rejected a ?1,750,000 grant to build a roof over the velodrome at Meadowbank. Meanwhile ?500,000,000 chucked at Glasgow to hold The Commonwealth Games.

There are modern indoor arenas in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield, Coventry, Newcastle, Birmingham Cardiff, and Belfast. A new arena for Edinburgh hosting concerts, hockey and basktball as well as conefrences could easily survive in competition with the sewage city along the M8.

The main problem is that for at least 3 decades Glasgow has been given hundreds of millions of pounds to build new facilities while Edinburgh is treated like shit. No London government was ever going to help The Capital and the Glasgow mafia that ran Scotland look after their own.

Compare the funding for rebuilding Murrayfield ?5,000,000 and hampden ?52,000,000. Compare he way Edinburgh had to scrabble for funds to rebuild The Festival theatre and the Usher Hall with the ?20,000,000 thrown at the glasgow royal concert hall.

The EICC would have been larger from the start but was denied funds to prevent it competing with the gecc. It's a matter of public record. The NHMF rejected a ?1,750,000 grant to build a roof over the velodrome at Meadowbank. Meanwhile ?500,000,000 chucked at Glasgow to hold The Commonwealth Games.

There are modern indoor arenas in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield, Coventry, Newcastle, Birmingham Cardiff, and Belfast. A new arena for Edinburgh hosting concerts, hockey and basktball as well as conefrences could easily survive in competition with the sewage city along the M8.

The Edinburgh tramline cost more than ?1bn.

These new venues are islands in a see of crap - have a walk round Easterhouse and all the other areas to get the real shite hole flavour.

A city is only as good as its worst areas, clearly. So is Edinburgh a shitehole because Pilton?

By the way not all in the Weeg is glorious - SECC is an atrocious place to 'enjoy' a gig - soulless in the extreme.

Nailed it mate!

A city is only as good as its worst areas, clearly. So is Edinburgh a shitehole because Pilton?

Pilton is like Knightsbridge compared to the dozens of shite hole estates in Glasgow.

Of which over ?500m is being paid by Edinburgh taxpayers.

Victor Meldrew

Thats where you're wrong. The city has changed from a shite hole to one of the best in the UK.

Really? that comment genuinely makes me doubt whether you've been to any other cities in the UK.

I've been to Glasgow a few times in the last couple of years and was really surprised how horrible it still is.

Franco Fascione

For a capital city to lack top athletics and cycling facitiltes, and a good sized indoor music venue is rubbish. The Edinburgh Festivals are a success - it's time to diversify to attract more events and concentrate on improving things for Edinburgh people.

Good sporting facilitates in Edinburgh include; Murrayfield, Tynecastle, Easter Road, Commonwealth Pool. Plenty of other good local sports facilities, such as pools, gyms and golf courses, etc. I'm sure there are plenty others which will be pointed out to me or are maybe in the planning.

Poor facilties: Meadowbank stadium is an absolute dump and so many of our athletes have had to leave their home city to train elsewhere, whilst others make do with the rubbish on offer. The outdoor velodrome is where Chris Hoy started out his track career, (after BMX), and that is a laughable facility. The City Council chucks money away on nonsense, (too many council projects to choose from their list of bullshit). Instead, they should be encouraging people to take up sport and improve their health by providing great facilitates and adding a really good, (lets just say a 10-15,000 capacity), indoor music venue, which can be used for other things.

Yes, Glasgow does seem to get a lot of funding and has great venues. However, I'm more interested in improving Edinburgh than getting into the boring Edinburgh-Glasgow debate. Zzzzzz.

We are pretty good at sports in this country, given the right facitilites. Where there's a will there's a way, unfortunately, I'm not sure our Council can see past finance, tourism, the festivals and those goddamn trams!

Let's hope for the future.

While we are at it being an ice hockey nut I would like to see a new state of the art ice rink as Murrayfield was old when I started going 38 years ago so now? Also I would like to see the speedway back in the city....miss Powderhall on a summers night. Is there not room down at (sorry to mention this area) leith? :builder: Or out west?

Gene Parmesan

I've been to Glasgow a few times in the last couple of years and was really surprised how horrible it still is.

Any context to this?

I enjoy regular jaunts to Glasgow myself and I'd rate it alongside Manchester, Liverpool, Belfast and, of course, Edinburgh, in my favourite cities in the UK.

Pete Seeger

They are still from a shite hole!

And one or two concert venues or velodromes aint going to ever change that!

Yawn3.gif

queensferryjambo

Not been since the 1960's I assume.

City Centre is fine at night and no better/worse than most cities in the UK.

Wasn't born in the 60s :)

Since the 80s I go to Glasgow reasonably frequently for gigs. Although you are right as my last visit was a while ago December 2013 for a gig at the Hydro. We stayed over at the Rennie Mackinosh hotel on Renfrew Street and spent time drinking before and after the show in the city centre - it was as usual ned central and always has that 'vibe' after dark.

Still I must be wrong about Glasgow as nothing backs up anything I have to say about the place. Oh wait -

Glasgow Ranked UKs most violent - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22276018

Glasgow murder capital of Western Europe - http://clippednews.wordpress.com/2003/11/28/glasgow-murder-capital-of-europe/

Pete Seeger

These new venues are islands in a see of crap - have a walk round Easterhouse and all the other areas to get the real shite hole flavour.

:what:

You should leave your bedroom more often and see a bit of Scotland. Glasgow's got an awful lot going for it as has Edinburgh. Try not to judge it by a council scheme. Likewise for Edinburgh.

I think this might be the 20th time I've said similar on here in a matter of months. Won't somebody listen :uhoh2:

Gene Parmesan

Folk getting their pants wet over Glasgow being a really nice city is one of the best recurring themes on this board.

:what:

You should leave your bedroom more often and see a bit of Scotland. Glasgow's got an awful lot going for it as has Edinburgh. Try not to judge it by a council scheme. Likewise for Edinburgh.

I think this might be the 20th time I've said similar on here in a matter of months. Won't somebody listen :uhoh2:

Maybe because you spout pish? Still that's the perspective from my bedroom so what do I know eh.

Wasn't born in the 60s :)

Since the 80s I go to Glasgow reasonably frequently for gigs. Although you are right as my last visit was a while ago December 2013 for a gig at the Hydro. We stayed over at the Rennie Mackinosh hotel on Renfrew Street and spent time drinking before and after the show in the city centre - it was as usual ned central and always has that 'vibe' after dark.

Still I must be wrong about Glasgow as nothing backs up anything I have to say about the place. Oh wait -

Glasgow Ranked UKs most violent - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22276018

Glasgow murder capital of Western Europe - http://clippednews.wordpress.com/2003/11/28/glasgow-murder-capital-of-europe/

Don't forget benefits, drugs, knife crime, alcohol, capital of Scotland.

Pete Seeger

Remind me again how much the trams cost?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Remind me again how much the trams cost?

Over half of the trams were paid for by the people of Edinburgh.

Pete Seeger

Maybe because you spout pish? Still that's the perspective from my bedroom so what do I know eh.

Is it hurting you that a neutral like me see's Glasgow as a thriving modern city built for it's populace?

You're looking very childish and bitter on this thread. Enjoy the fact the central belt of Scotland has 2 great cities.

Pete Seeger

Over half of the trams were paid for by the people of Edinburgh.

And the other half? How much was wasted on the other half? I'll bet Edinburgh could have had some amazing new venues and sporting facilities for half of the cost of the trams.

queensferryjambo

Enjoy the fact the central belt of Scotland has 2 great cities.

Edinburgh and Stirling?

Pete Seeger

Edinburgh and Stirling?

I live in Stirling. It's not a great city. It's a pleasant little town.

Is it hurting you that a neutral like me see's Glasgow as a thriving modern city built for it's populace?

You're looking very childish and bitter on this thread. Enjoy the fact the central belt of Scotland has 2 great cities.

You'll be telling me Edinburgh has 2 great Football Clubs next.......

queensferryjambo

Yeah ok Stirling isn't a city it's a town - you should know you live there right?

http://en.wikipedia....d_by_population

• Scotland's seven cities are:

• Aberdeen.
    • Dundee.
    • Edinburgh.
    • Glasgow.
    • Inverness.
    • Perth.
    • Stirling.

Malcolm Tucker

Pant-wetters getting their pants wet coz they can't accept Glasgow is a great city.

As Gene Parmesan above said, it's a great recurring theme of this board.

So, I'll say this again.

I have lived in Glasgow since November 2010. In that time I have enjoyed and reveled in a great nightlife, great gigs, great bars, great restaurants, and great events all over the city. I have lived on Byres Rd in the West End, Shawlands in the Southside, and now live in Dennistoun in the East End. For the pant-wetter complaining about 'gangs of neds', I have walked home at all hours, to all ends of the city and experienced no trouble whatsoever. That said, I have been involved in one scuffle with neds since I moved through. And that was on George St in Edinburgh when I was back visiting.

Folk like to try and build a rivalry and cite places such as Easterhouse, Springburn and Govanhill in their arguments. Do these folk often walk about Pilton, Niddrie or Wester Hailes and think 'aye but still ah bet this is better thun Glasgow though, ken?'.

Edinburgh, aesthetically in the city centre, is far more beautiful than Glasgow. But for arts, entertainment, nightlife, shopping, pretty much everything else, Glasgow is better.

Come at me.

Yes Y&T from the Mean Streak tour at The Playhouse in 83 as well. My kids are 6 in that photo I was at High School when I bought those shirts. They wouldn't fit over my fat head these days let alone over my belly.

Yep the Playhouse was a blinding venue back then too.....I think Y&T are touring again in the Autumn but guess what its Glasgow.

My eldest wanted an old AC/DC 82 tour t-shirt of mine to wear a few years back when they were cool and trendy....and even though I couldn't have hardly got my head inside it now was still a no!!

Nice wee semi in the Raploch perchance?

Pete Seeger

Yeah ok Stirling isn't a city it's a town - you should know you live there right?

http://en.wikipedia....d_by_population

• Scotland's seven cities are:
    • Aberdeen.

• Dundee.

• Edinburgh.

• Glasgow.

• Inverness.

• Perth.

• Stirling.

There's no need to get all pernickety. I genuinely can't understand the seethe from the East anytime Glasgow gets positive coverage. It's 45minutes down the road for you. Enjoy it!

Pete Seeger

Nice wee semi in the Raploch perchance?

Tedious in the extreme.

Edinburghs got schemes 2 lolz. U stay in Wester Hailz aye m8?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

And the other half? How much was wasted on the other half? I'll bet Edinburgh could have had some amazing new venues and sporting facilities for half of the cost of the trams.

The other c?250,000,000 was peanuts compared to money spent in Glasgow over the same period, the majority of which was raised by Edinburgh.

Pant-wetters getting their pants wet coz they can't accept Glasgow is a great city.

So, I'll say this again.

I have lived in Glasgow since November 2010. In that time I have enjoyed and reveled in a great nightlife, great gigs, great bars, great restaurants, and great events all over the city. I have lived on Byres Rd in the West End, Shawlands in the Southside, and now live in Dennistoun in the East End. For the pant-wetter complaining about 'gangs of neds', I have walked home at all hours, to all ends of the city and experienced no trouble whatsoever. That said, I have been involved in one scuffle with neds since I moved through. And that was on George St in Edinburgh when I was back visiting.

Folk like to try and build a rivalry and cite places such as Easterhouse, Springburn and Govanhill in their arguments. Do these folk often walk about Pilton, Niddrie or Wester Hailes and think 'aye but still ah bet this is better thun Glasgow though, ken?'.

Edinburgh, aesthetically in the city centre, is far more beautiful than Glasgow. But for arts, entertainment, nightlife, shopping, pretty much everything else, Glasgow is better.

Come at me.

Noted. Don't forget the big concrete flyovers they slashed right through the city - best thing about Glasgow - you can drive out of it quicker....

Nookie Bear

Maybe it's your accent.

So, I'll say this again.

Come at me.

You do know that the world's biggest arts festival is about to start in this cultural backwater in the east? But, oh aye, Glasgow's much better for the arts.

Malcolm Tucker

Noted. Don't forget the big concrete flyovers they slashed right through the city - best thing about Glasgow - you can drive out of it quicker....

Charing Cross used to be a lovely area going by old pictures of it. A travesty that they basically sliced an open passageway into the West End with a big motorway. Could have been avoided but wasn't, unfortunately.

Tedious in the extreme.

Edinburghs got schemes 2 lolz. U stay in Wester Hailz aye m8?

Calm down lad - bit of fun.

Liked the attempt at the street talk though - WKD!

Come at me.

Which of the cities is home to the World's largest arts festival?

I too have lived in Glasgow, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I think, with the Festival and all the galleries, the NMS etc etc Edinburgh may just shade the arts!

jamboinglasgow

Edinburgh is not alone in massive cost transport projects, the m74 exstension cost ?750 million for 3 miles of motorway making it the most expensive road on the UK.

But agree with others, there is too many here with chips on their shoulders in regards to Glasgow. Yes there are some not nice parts of the city but it is a nice place and has great parts. I am currently sitting by the Clyde in the center and it looks great.

Archived