Football as a whole...

tommythejambo

tommythejambo

Is there any point anymore?

I think the wee team, the bigots and ourselves have got very lucky this season, in that we all might be challenging for a title.

But IMO the game is finished. There's only 1 team that will EVER win the SPL, 2/3 capable of winning the premiership, 3/4 capable of winning the champions league.

Is it maybe just time to give up?

No one can afford to really challenge anymore.

For example, Hearts winning the Scottish cup is the greatest honour we will EVER see the club win. There's no room for progression.

HelloSunshine

Grow up, who could have foreseen Man City being the force they are now 10 years ago.

Ask a Raith Rovers fan what it was like to beat Rangers to the Ramsdens cup last year.

Wigan winning the FA Cup...the list of incredible underdog to glory stories will continue to go on, we just have to hope for the Jambos to be the lucky ones

Yeah you're right, athletico were always expected to beat barca and Real Madrid to the la liga title....

jambostuart

I can kind of see his point to be fair. The days of ?80million transfers and CL pots have all but ruined football and while there are some shocks such as AM winning La Liga and reaching the CL final, there is also a sense of dullness. We know who the top 4/5 are in the PL, the Bundesliga is all but wrapped up before a ball is kicked and La Liga had a shock this season but there is nothing to suggest normal service won't resume for the next decade with Barca and Real as the top two.

City transforming isn't an underdog story. It's a story of rich foreign investment and hundreds of millions being ploughed in to their club. Finances dictate unfortunately and the richest teams are playing a different sport to the rest of us.

Give up? No, not at all. But I am sick of the lack of competition and I'm no glory hunter, but to me a Scottish Cup final every so often is not good enough. I want to see my club competing for the very very top honours. I could never be a Raith fan, where my happiest moment comes from the Ramsdens Cup, or lower division football. The fact that I know I'll never see Hearts (or any club) challenge the OF in my lifetime, and I'm only 24, makes me angry. So yeah, I can see the OP's point.

I can kind of see his point to be fair. The days of ?80million transfers and CL pots have all but ruined football and while there are some shocks such as AM winning La Liga and reaching the CL final, there is also a sense of dullness. We know who the top 4/5 are in the PL, the Bundesliga is all but wrapped up before a ball is kicked and La Liga had a shock this season but there is nothing to suggest normal service won't resume for the next decade with Barca and Real as the top two.

City transforming isn't an underdog story. It's a story of rich foreign investment and hundreds of millions being ploughed in to their club. Finances dictate unfortunately and the richest teams are playing a different sport to the rest of us.

Give up? No, not at all. But I am sick of the lack of competition and I'm no glory hunter, but to me a Scottish Cup final every so often is not good enough. I want to see my club competing for the very very top honours. I could never be a Raith fan, where my happiest moment comes from the Ramsdens Cup, or lower division football. The fact that I know I'll never see Hearts (or any club) challenge the OF in my lifetime, and I'm only 24, makes me angry. So yeah, I can see the OP's point.

It will all come good / Scotland will be the leading nation to bring good youngsters through! Because we now have to. Be positive!!

I agree, although Rangers will win the SPL again before the decade is out I'm pretty sure of that. Money has killed the game, the days of Hearts, Dundee and Kilmarnock all winning the league in the same decade are long gone. Nottingham Forest's run of being promoted to Division 1, winning Division 1, winning the European Cup and then winning it again in 4 consecutive seasons is that stuff that made football great but can never happen again. If things stay as they are we will never achieve anything better than 19-05-12.

A European Superleague has to be the way forward. Take the big clubs out of all the European leagues, organise them into divisions of 18 teams or so and what you'd be left with is a decent domestic product again. Scotland without the OF, England without their top 5 or 6 clubs, Portugal without their big 3, Holland without their big 3 etc all become exciting and unpredictable leagues again and the OF and big Dutch and Portuguese clubs would be able to compete with the giants because they'd get an even share of a TV deal.

People might argue that it would devalue the competition, but I'm far more excited about this season than I have been since the early Romanov years, and even then that was down to financial investment. Competing for a league title without the OF would be far more enjoyable and make me far more likely to come and watch than hoping for 3rd at best.

Nookie Bear

I

A European Superleague has to be the way forward. Take the big clubs out of all the European leagues, organise them into divisions of 18 teams or so and what you'd be left with is a decent domestic product again. Scotland without the OF, England without their top 5 or 6 clubs, Portugal without their big 3, Holland without their big 3 etc all become exciting and unpredictable leagues again and the OF and big Dutch and Portuguese clubs would be able to compete with the giants because they'd get an even share of a TV deal.

But Scotland would not be without the OF. They would very much still be here, and playing more glamorous opponents every week for the media to cream themselves over. They would not give us a mention if we won the league, except to decide which of our pkayers would do well for the OF.

The same would apply to every non-top 5 team in England, every La Liga club outside the big 2 etc etc etc.

The money has to be more evenly spread to pull the other teams up, not create a massive gap that can never be bridged without the injection of silly Sheikh money.

Archived