FIFA player of the tournament and other awards

vegas-voss

Gregory House M.D.

Toni Kroos finished top of the Castrol Index Top Ten for the world cup. His passing record only surpassed by Lahm.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dusk_Till_Dawn

Toni Kroos finished top of the Castrol Index Top Ten for the world cup. His passing record only surpassed by Lahm.

Most of the Germans like Schweinsteiger, Lahm and so on were right on it all the way through - not necessarily sensational but top class.

Kroos was a bit of a shambles last night but had a great tournament.

Sasathejambo1874
Thought Robben should have got it

Great player. I just wish he showed a bit more class on the pitch by not diving around. The one thing that's stopping him from achieving awards like Player of the year.

:lol: Did you see the one near the end where he came out his pocket did a full 360 round him, kissed his arse which was on the grass, nutmegged a defender only to be bumped by another before MOTM Boateng shielded him off ? You're a poor troll and it's becoming tedious.

So I'm trolling if I disagree with you. It's a football forum where opinions differ. Fancy that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The Internet

No you can't just spout nonsense and have everyone accept it because it's an 'opinion' anymore I'm afraid.

The Real Maroonblood

Best player by a mile was Mascherano and anyone woh doesn't see this disnae ken his fitba.

Even though he is a dirty bassa.

No you can't just spout nonsense and have everyone accept it because it's an 'opinion' anymore I'm afraid.

It's your opinion that it is nonsense.

Did Messi score last night? Did he even get a shot on target? Did he create a goal?

The Internet

Don't think I've actually given an opinion in this thread but fair enough.

And saying he was in Hummels' pocket isn't even an opinion, it's just factually wrong.

Such an open World Cup FIFA should have given a top 10 or 20 joint award for player of tournament.

Guardian piece is good but still an embaressment not least for Messi.

portobellojambo1

I agree with that as well and it's not him that comes up with these awards

Was the award not made by Adidas, who also sponsor Lionel Messi. He wasn't even the best Argentinian player over the course of the tournament, never mind being the best player of the tournament.

Gregory House M.D.

Don't think I've actually given an opinion in this thread but fair enough.

And saying he was in Hummels' pocket isn't even an opinion, it's just factually wrong.

Messi was utter shite last night and the German defence lapped him up no problem at all. Think he beat Hummels twice all night.

Messi getting player would have been decided before a ball was kicked. Maybe Neymar if Brazil had progressed.

Would love to know who decides these things.

Messi getting player would have been decided before a ball was kicked. Maybe Neymar if Brazil had progressed.

Some Fifa data collection group.This is how good it is though before the semi finals David Luiz was rated the best player at the WC by them.

No way Messi for golden ball, I would have given it to Rodriguez, he was the one relatively unknown quantity who truly announced himself at this world cup. Robben would also have been a decent shout and several of the Germans I would not have argued too strongly about if they'd won it.

Rudolf's Mate

Funny how people see the game differently. Read a comment in a rag saying that Messi gave Hummels a torrid time and run him ragged.

Not worth a new thread, but: I'm absolutely gutted that it's all over. Bereft. What a World Cup that was.

gorgie rd eh11

Messi was utter shite last night and the German defence lapped him up no problem at all. Think he beat Hummels twice all night.

Utter shite, aye?

:rofl:

Bridge of Djoum

Muller, (apologies for missing umlaut), was my player of the tournament. Likes a wee moan, but overall, fantastic all round footballer.

Regal Kingston

Heard Danny Murphy voted for Daniel Sturridge.

Mascherano for me. He was excellent in every game.

Exceptional in the last two.

Robben, Muelller, Rodriguez and Kross as well.

Neuer correctly best GK

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'd have given it to Muller I think, the guy just knows how to perform at a World Cup. Rodriguez ran him close though.

A couple of my mates made the point last night that Messi virtually carried Argentina to the final. In the main, his goals got them there but like others have said, he probably wasn't even Argentina's best player. I saw a stat earlier that Manuel Neuer completed more passes in the whole tournament than Messi did, not quite sure what that tells us but it's quite the stat.

The Internet

I wouldn't say he carried Argentina to the final. His goals got them out of the group stage, from then on their run was built on a solid defence.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I wouldn't say he carried Argentina to the final. His goals got them out of the group stage, from then on their run was built on a solid defence.

I agree. He dug them out of a hole against Iran and scored important goals against both Bosnia and Nigeria. I think he also created Di Maria's winner against Switzerland but he was pretty quiet in more or less every game he played, particularly in the group stage.

They might not even have made the final if Mascherano hadn't made that challenge on Robben in the semi.

Gregory House M.D.

Did he score? DID HE?

Who mentioned scoring? I'd love to see his stats for last night. He was stopped the majority of time he tried to take the German defence on and he was mainly anonymous throughout.

He's Messi though so any 5 yard pass is an absolutely magical piece of footballing history.

P.s to the "Hummels on toast" comment. There's a difference between having someone on toast and being constantly jockied away from goal and out wide. Think he carved himself one clear cut chance all night and made an arse of it.

londonjambo

Mixu Paatelainen does. MIXU PAATELAINEN !!!! How in the wide wide world of sport did he land that gig ?

GC

ArcticJambo

Sad ******* that I am, I watched it again and Messi touched the ball 52 times:

16 1st half (team possession stats 70% Ger, 30% Arg)

24 2nd half (possession was 67% Ger, 33% Arg after 60 mins, and 60/40 by the end of 90 mins)

3 in 1st half of ET

9 in 2nd half of ET

Germans played him brilliantly crowding him out with numbers, and barely letting him turn on the ball. Saying that, despite the attention he was definitely the most creative and dangerous player on the field. This obviously doesn't fit the narrative as to some he was shite :lol: It's hard to say what else he could have done really. He might have scored, or at least made MN make a save but hey, they don't always work out.

Most creative and dangerous player on the field? More dangerous than Gotze like?

I am genuinely amazed at the passion of the Messi acolytes. He's not even the best player in Spanish football.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

I know it's trendy to have a go at Messi but he did very nearly drag his team all the way and deserves player of the tournament. The thing about giving it to a German player - the only other option as it has to go to someone who got to the final IMO - is they won through having more top performers all over the pitch rather than one main guy. They could still have won without Mueller or Hummels but Argentina would not have got to the final without Messi. He had the best stats and came up with key goals or passes at key times to win matches.

No other single player had as much influence on their team for so long other than maybe James and Robben. James didn't do it in as many games as Messi but Robben could have been a decent shout. I still think it has to go to a player in the final two teams though unless someone else is completely remarkable.

It's not like it's uncommon, the original Ronaldo won it in 98 despite having an average/poor tournament

The Real Maroonblood

Mixu Paatelainen does. MIXU PAATELAINEN !!!! How in the wide wide world of sport did he land that gig ?

GC

Probably his connection with the Hobos.

The Internet

I agree. He dug them out of a hole against Iran and scored important goals against both Bosnia and Nigeria. I think he also created Di Maria's winner against Switzerland but he was pretty quiet in more or less every game he played, particularly in the group stage.

They might not even have made the final if Mascherano hadn't made that challenge on Robben in the semi.

I'm pretty sure he scored or assisted on every single one of their goals :lol: It's a shame his form tailed off towards the end though, and that the attackers around him were either out of form (Higuain, di Maria for the most part) or clearly not at all fit (Aguero). If they're all at the top of their game then Argentina have by far the best attack in world football.

And yeah Mascherano's challenge on Robben was crucial, worth as much as a goal really.

deesidejambo

Still Mascherano for me, but beware of using stats for the analyses. Lahm made a huge number of complete passes, but about 90% of them were back into his own half. Especially in the final.

ArcticJambo

Most creative and dangerous player on the field? More dangerous than Gotze like?

I am genuinely amazed at the passion of the Messi acolytes. He's not even the best player in Spanish football.

A

As I said you're a tedious troll. You seriously can't believe what you're typing half the time. I'm putting it down to my inability to explain it or maybe I'm giving too much credit for general assumptions when talking about football.

He was the most creative player on the park by a mile under the pressure he received. Gotze played 34 mins, the vast majority in ET, did f-all bar the finish, which of course was superb.

You're blinded by something deep-rooted. I feel for you. :)

A

As I said you're a tedious troll. You seriously can't believe what you're typing half the time. I'm putting it down to my inability to explain it or maybe I'm giving too much credit for general assumptions when talking about football.

He was the most creative player on the park by a mile under the pressure he received. Gotze played 34 mins, the vast majority in ET, did f-all bar the finish, which of course was superb.

"He's not even the best player in Spanish football"

Sometimes it feels like this forum is full of 12 year olds trying to troll :lol:

ArcticJambo

As I said, having watched it again, the one player I overlooked, and was up there with BS & JB in that order (I originally gave my motm to JB) was Howedes. He was everywhere, blocking shots, standing up and smothering attackers, nearly winning penalties (twice), hitting the post (should of scored of course but he was stretching). JB got the headlines because of a couple of crucial touches in ET essentially , although he was still good in regulation.

I can't find any definitive match stats anywhere but it would be interesting to see the number of passes completed by each team in the three thirds of the field. Arg had one six pass move in the Ger half, their best offensive passage of play. At best three five-pass moves otherwise it was mainly direct and poorly at that.

German forwards had a fairly easy time of it until the final third/box then they were all essentially blunted. with the same smothering defence LM received. They really didn't create much.

Anyway, the HIbee postie just delivered tickets for Scotland's game vs the World Champs in September. yas!.gif

colinmaroon

Even Maradonna says it was a corporate sell-out to give Messi the award. He states that Messi was embarassed!

Diego says Rodriguez was far more worthy!

It's stuff like this that creates my own personal paradox:

I love football! I hate football!

Stat of the day,

Manuel Neuer passed the ball more times than Messi during the tournament.

Neuer: 244

Messi: 242

The Real Maroonblood

Even Maradonna says it was a corporate sell-out to give Messi the award. He states that Messi was embarassed!

Spot on.

A

If you can't handle a different opinion that is hardly my problem.

"He's not even the best player in Spanish football"

Sometimes it feels like this forum is full of 12 year olds trying to troll :lol:

Really? I thought Ronaldo was just awarded World Player of the Year? Does he not play in Spain like?

What does Diego know though eh?

The Internet

Still doing the opinion argument :lol: Oldest trick in the internet book.

Really? I thought Ronaldo was just awarded World Player of the Year? Does he not play in Spain like?

Ronaldo deservedly got player of the year last season, Messi was out for a couple of months and failed to win a trophy while Ronaldo got the Champions League, fair enough. The last thing I want is to get into a full Ronaldo v Messi internet debate but when they're both fully fit and on form, Messi is the better player.

What does Diego know though eh?

Maradona is spot on there, Messi didn't deserve the award and pretty much everyone has agreed that. He did look embarrassed to be picking it up.

ArcticJambo

You're right. I'll most simply ignore you, not that you'll be overly bothered as your MO appears to be something else. If however you put your opinion in context then it's more likely to get more credit. You appear to throw out baseless opinions. Maybe I'm doing you a disservice. :thumbsup:

ArcticJambo

What Chrambo was referring to was a prime example. :lol: It's not relevant to this discussion, but since you brought it up, lets contextualize it for arguments sake. Where did Portugal finish in this WC. Did Portugal have an arguably better team than Argentina. That of course is not to say CR didn't hit the dizzying heights of what might be expected of a WPOTY. He was okay iirc, nothing more nothing less. Kept them in with a shout of qualification to the group stages with an inch-perfect cross vs USA. Maybe he was tired and or injured. Maybe he didn't get the support of his colleagues up front, or at the back (Pepe :rolleyes: ).

I having second thoughts now, about whether you are trolling or not. goodnesssakes.

The Internet

I think Ronaldo is just unlucky to be playing in such an average Portugal team tbf, if he'd somehow managed to drag that lot to the final I'd say he has a shout at being the best ever. Out of their other top players; Pepe is a maniac, Moutinho is good but not really a game changer, Nani has hardly played for a year, their other strikers aren't really worth mentioning. Argentina have a much better team and it's no surprise that Portugal struggled in their group.

What Chrambo was referring to was a prime example. :lol: It's not relevant to this discussion, but since you brought it up, lets contextualize it for arguments sake. Where did Portugal finish in this WC. Did Portugal have an arguably better team than Argentina. That of course is not to say CR didn't hit the dizzying heights of what might be expected of a WPOTY. He was okay iirc, nothing more nothing less. Kept them in with a shout of qualification to the group stages with an inch-perfect cross vs USA. Maybe he was tired and or injured. Maybe he didn't get the support of his colleagues up front, or at the back (Pepe :rolleyes: ).

I having second thoughts now, about whether you are trolling or not. goodnesssakes.

It's trolling.

On a different note, I always find it funny when people (Man U/Madrid fans/trolls) bring up the old Ronaldo is better than Messi chat. There's a constant argument over wether Messi is the best player ever to have lived, yet no one thinks Ronaldo is - so how can CR be better than Messi? :lol:

It's a shame for Ronaldo, if he had been born in a different generation then he would be head and shoulders the best in the world, but Messi is a just a different breed.

It's trolling.

On a different note, I always find it funny when people (Man U/Madrid fans/trolls) bring up the old Ronaldo is better than Messi chat. There's a constant argument over wether Messi is the best player ever to have lived, yet no one thinks Ronaldo is - so how can CR be better than Messi? :lol:

It's a shame for Ronaldo, if he had been born in a different generation then he would be head and shoulders the best in the world, but Messi is a just a different breed.

Best player to have ever lived? !!

At that

I'm out.

The Internet

Well yeah, at club level at least he's widely considered to be one of the best of all time. Thought that was common knowledge tbh.

Archived