***Official WORLD CUP FINAL Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France scored and lost in 06?

Ah, my bad. I was remembering that as 1-0 Italy for some reason.

Tommy Wiseau

Ah, my bad. I was remembering that as 1-0 Italy for some reason.

Bit harsh making them have a penalty shootout after winning 1-0, I'd say :lol:

England get all the easy games etc.

They do to be fair.

Drawing the World champions 3 times in a row is good going!

Bit harsh making them have a penalty shootout after winning 1-0, I'd say :lol:

Just wait till you're old, Tommy. I have no recollection at all of the penalty shoot-out, which may or may not be disturbing.

:) Aye ok.

Smashed the hosts, smashed Portugal, disposed of a very good French side, hardly conceded a goal.

Just average though eh?

:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

brilliant against Brazil. Portugal were down to ten men for most of the game and were also poor all tournament.

They did enough against France, should have lost to Ghana, were battered by Algeria for the first 45 minutes of that game and rode their luck big time tonight.

I didn't say they were average, I said they produced too many average performances to be a great team.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Well done Germany, 8 years of great football and consistently getting to semis/finals, and finally a, sorry THE, trophy to show for it

They were by far the better team tonight will all the possession and taking the game to argentina instead of sitting back waiting for a counter opportunity

Feel a bit bad for the argies but they couldnt muster a single shot on target all night which is poor

Next stop Russia

yep, lots to look forward to; will they have extremes of temperature like Brazil? Hopefully football will evolve, more attacking and Scotland qualify!

Guest C00l K1d

brilliant against Brazil. Portugal were down to ten men for most of the game and were also poor all tournament.

They did enough against France, should have lost to Ghana, were battered by Algeria for the first 45 minutes of that game and rode their luck big time tonight.

I didn't say they were average, I said they produced too many average performances to be a great team.

They were hardly lucky.

Tonight could've went either way but that doesn't mean they were lucky to win.

Both teams got forward well but seemed to lack that finishing touch. As soon as it went to ET Germany were always going to win it.

ArcticJambo

You have to say that Sabella's set-up worked well. Solid defensive unit marshalled by a superb Mascherano. Only problem was that Messi's supporting cast were pretty dross. Higuain was largely anonymous throughout. Di Maria was sporadic and no way near the form he was showing pre-tournament. Aguero has been tosh fr about 5 months now, and when Palacios came on he's been mince. Lavezzi at least looked dangerous. I can only assume he was injured or they were worried about his defensive abilities as he had a good few dangerous runs.

In the end Argetina did well to get to the 113th minute of the final before finally succumbing.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You have to say that Sabella's set-up worked well. Solid defensive unit marshalled by a superb Mascherano. Only problem was that Messi's supporting cast were pretty dross. Higuain was largely anonymous throughout. Di Maria was sporadic and no way near the form he was showing pre-tournament. Aguero has been tosh fr about 5 months now, and when Palacios came on he's been mince. Lavezzi at least looked dangerous. I can only assume he was injured or they were worried about his defensive abilities as he had a good few dangerous runs.

In the end Argetina did well to get to the 113th minute of the final before finally succumbing.

And yet they had the two best chances. Take either of them and it is a different story.

They were hardly lucky.

Tonight could've went either way but that doesn't mean they were lucky to win.

Both teams got forward well but seemed to lack that finishing touch. As soon as it went to ET Germany were always going to win it.

again, I didn't say they were lucky, I said they rode their luck. Argentina missed 3 absolutely gilt edged chances and Germany should have been down to ten men in the first half.

They took advantage of that and won the game but it wasn't a great performance.

They deserved the tournament win but Spain in 2010 were a far better team.

Tommy Wiseau

Yep, although I think that people slating them for "anti-football" etc are just being silly. They were set up well, organised superbly and had it not been for Higuain's woeful finishing throughout the entire tournament (one goal to show for the chances he has had is unacceptable for a player of his quality), but particularly tonight, they would be world champions right now. That said, Messi didn't lift himself above the ordinary for more than fleeting moments of the group stages, and even more infrequently when it really mattered.

Had they made it through tonight they would have been worthy winners. As it was, the Germans did and fully deserve it.

Think Germany can build from here. Success gives a new momentum.

Concerned for Brazil and Argentina - both need to take stock to harness and nurture the talent they have. Hope Colombia and Chile can kick on. Probably both in top six teams - narrowly losing to home team.

Yep, although I think that people slating them for "anti-football" etc are just being silly. They were set up well, organised superbly and had it not been for Higuain's woeful finishing throughout the entire tournament (one goal to show for the chances he has had is unacceptable for a player of his quality), but particularly tonight, they would be world champions right now. That said, Messi didn't lift himself above the ordinary for more than fleeting moments of the group stages, and even more infrequently when it really mattered.

Had they made it through tonight they would have been worthy winners. As it was, the Germans did and fully deserve it.

Just what I take from today and the tournament. Well put. Argentina didn't get credit they deserved but that's life.

ArcticJambo

Can't argue with that. I have to admit I was disappointed by Messi somewhat although I'm not sure what he really could have done more. Perhaps run around and chase a bit more but he wasn't being supplied with anything; he didn't, or rather wasn't given any real chance to create any space for himself. What few chances or space-creating passes he made for his team mates they tended to screw up with a poor decision or a fluffled touch.

Schurrle with his direct running gave them that little bit extra in this tournament. I can't emphasize how brilliant his cross for the winner was. inch perfect.

Rudolf's Mate

again, I didn't say they were lucky, I said they rode their luck. Argentina missed 3 absolutely gilt edged chances and Germany should have been down to ten men in the first half.

They took advantage of that and won the game but it wasn't a great performance.

They deserved the tournament win but Spain in 2010 were a far better team.

But we're not talking about 2010! We're talking about this tournament and the fact overall they were the better team.

Also 2010 was a different tournament in many ways. Teams were so wary about Spain's one touch movement that they were ultra defensive. It didn't work and overall it was a boring tournament. Teams realised this time that the only way to beat Spain was to get in about them and attack.

They do to be fair.

Drawing the World champions 3 times in a row is good going!

When did this happen?

Scotland will win the next one.......

OK........time for bed!!!!

Anyone using snapchat see the rio updates? Loved that.

Kinda sad as always to see the end of the world cup but now the real football starts.

Mon jambos lets gooo

But we're not talking about 2010! We're talking about this tournament and the fact overall they were the better team.

Also 2010 was a different tournament in many ways. Teams were so wary about Spain's one touch movement that they were ultra defensive. It didn't work and overall it was a boring tournament. Teams realised this time that the only way to beat Spain was to get in about them and attack.

aye. Reading my first post back I wasn't clear eniugh about what I meant. My point was that they weren't a vintage team compared to some past winners.

No dispute at all that they deserved to win the tournament, I just meant that there wasn't, imo, an outstanding side in the cup. which was one of the things that helped make it so good.

Alba gu Brath

10537094_782110665174118_6730290674907417329_n.jpg

Sums it up. One or two princesses does not a winning team make. Something to inspire our young team for the new season.

Archived