Daily Record call on Celtic to share 1914/15 league title with Hearts

Gene Parmesan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colinmaroon

Redemption is possible - even for the Daily Record!

Now that is amazing!!!

Dalstonjambo

I wonder if their readership numbers in the capital and surrounding areas are falling....

Dont really see why tbh. Strange article. Seems like a good old fashioned bit of shit stirring.

Our lads have already been decorated with medals and praise which is much more important than the prize at the end of a football match. They can keep their title and our lads can keep their special place in the hearts of millions.

Surely we must be down trodden enough these days, to be patroinized by those bastions of morality and given a wee pat on the heid

rossthejambo

It's a nice touch, don't necessarily agree with it though.

Some of the reactions so far are a bit much though, if it was Rangers being asked I doubt there would be as much moaning.

Chad Sexington

I find the idea of those despicable tramps throwing us a retrospective bone utterly repellent.

Don't agree with it at all. If the suggestion had came directly from Celtic it would've beeen a touching gesture, but I don't want them giving us anything due to external pressure.

Tbh, I don't really want them to give us anything anyway. That season ultimately ended up being about something far, far greater than the league title and for our team it always will be.

doctor jambo

THe story of the sacrfice of that team is enhanced by the loss of the league that year- it increased the sacrifice to a sporting level from a personal one.

I would not like this to happen- or for Celtic to somehow assuage their own guilt by this means

Mmm

Not sure. One for the historians.

Please leave the anti Celtic comments out when considering opinions.

It's not the place.

Agree with the sentiments above. The pride is in our team putting our country first, and football second. To subsequently be handed a title due to pressure from a vile newspaper would feel wrong. It's a no from me.

Ibrahim Tall

Pass, some things are more important than football and trivialising this down to a "title" completely misses the point of the sacrifice they gave in my opinion.

The league should have been postponed at the time.

colinmaroon

Some of the reactions so far are a bit much though, if it was Rangers being asked I doubt there would be as much moaning.

On the button!

Of course, if we take the identity of the other team out of the equation, if looked at objectively, it could be another way of honouring those who made that sacrifice, in the specific "field" of football.

I'm sure those who object will find themselves in tune with the wee team's howls of complaint - "Cheating our way to another trophy!"

No idea what the article says as I would never link to that rag and I have absolutely no interest in being 'awarded' a share of the championship. It's just the record sticking up for it's 'loyal' readers

Non starter for me, similar to the whole taking titles/cups off Rangers due to the EBT scandal...who is going to celebrate it, the players are gone..would have been a nice gesture if it was Celtic would initiated it but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the league title was that important 100 years ago we wouldn't have joined up in the first place.

But it wasn't that important.

If Celtic FC willingly volunteered to share the title the net result would be that the Daily Record would champion Celtic as the bastion of fairness and the leading club in Scottish Football.

Brutal.

They can keep it. And as requested by another poster above, I will reserve my opinions on that football club and everything they represent.

Sure this is nae being done so the Huns can crow about having more titles. These Daily Rangers journos must be keekin themselves about all these easy titles Celtic will be able to rack up

A very good Daily Record article but "Gifting" a share of the league for that momentous year well, the sentiment just doest feel right and I think that Celtic could do something else as a gesture of respect to all the lads that sacrificed themselves from all of the Scottish teams. Especially being the centenary year as well.

As said above though, I agree this needs to come directly from the club itself and on its own steam and not through them being press-ganged into it, otherwise it would be a hollow gesture IMO.

No mention that celtic won the league as none of their players signed up until afterwards. Tries to make it look like celtic did the same thing but came out on top. They can **** right off, trying to jump on the band wagon because all those teams who did make sacrifices before being forced to are getting the publicity and recognition they deserve. Must be galling for them that other teams are getting all the attention that is 'rightfully' theirs.

Prince Buaben

A very good Daily Record article but "Gifting" a share of the league for that momentous year well, the sentiment just doest feel right and I think that Celtic could do something else as a gesture of respect to all the lads that sacrificed themselves from all of the Scottish teams. Especially being the centenary year as well.

As said above though, I agree this needs to come directly from the club itself and on its own steam and not through them being press-ganged into it, otherwise it would be a hollow gesture IMO.

:spoton:

Futile gesture. To give us a share of a title won by a bunch of people who refused to fight for their country (if they considered it to be their country in those days) would be a slur on the sacrifice our lads made and, probably more important, totally meaningless.

I'm not sure I agree with it TBH?

I don't. Either share it with all the clubs who had players signed up or don't share it all.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Apart from the call for Celtic to donate us half a title it's actually a very decent article. It's sad, though, that such a poignant story should be used to get a dig at Celtic. Far more fitting, I'd suggest, would be for Celtic to send a representation to the memorial service this November to place a wreath in the memory of all the fallen of both World Wars. Perhaps even a friendly between the two sides could be arranged to raise money for Erskine House, or similar, in their memory. These great men sacrificed much more than a league title, that is all that matters.

Futile gesture. To give us a share of a title won by a bunch of people who refused to fight for their country (if they considered it to be their country in those days) would be a slur on the sacrifice our lads made and, probably more important, totally meaningless.

:facepalm:

Completely ignoring the fact Celtic players signed up as well.

Apart from the call for Celtic to donate us half a title it's actually a very decent article. It's sad, though, that such a poignant story should be used to get a dig at Celtic. Far more fitting, I'd suggest, would be for Celtic to send a representation to the memorial service this November to place a wreath in the memory of all the fallen of both World Wars. Perhaps even a friendly between the two sides could be arranged to raise money for Erskine House, or similar, in their memory. These great men sacrificed much more than a league title, that is all that matters.

Much better. Agree with that entirely. A bit more class that re-writing the history books.

A "friendly" between the sides at Tynecastle with both teams made up of a mix of current and past players all wearing the strips from that era with the cash going to Erskine would be a fitting tribute IMO.

Whitley Jambo

No mention that celtic won the league as none of their players signed up until afterwards. Tries to make it look like celtic did the same thing but came out on top. They can **** right off, trying to jump on the band wagon because all those teams who did make sacrifices before being forced to are getting the publicity and recognition they deserve. Must be galling for them that other teams are getting all the attention that is 'rightfully' theirs.

Spot on. Article tries to manipulate story with reference to "former" Celtic players , as is they ( celtic ) could take an "honourable " stance. They didnt, our club and players did, end of.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

The thought is 100 years too late.Stick it were the sun dont shine

You mean Leith, I assume....

:facepalm:

Completely ignoring the fact Celtic players signed up as well.

Read the story of mccrae's battalion, what the feeling towards football players was at the time, what the sacrifice made by the hearts 1st team, and a number of other teams (which are mentioned in the article) was during the season. How this subscription effected the players in a playing capacity due to their military training, the superhuman feet they undertook to keep themselves top of the league until the last 2 weeks. Then look at celtic during that period. There's a a monumental difference. Celtic Players may have signed up but not in the same way at the same time. They still had their 1st team until the end of the season without the duress of training for the war. To compare the 2 is utterly impossible and for a hearts fan not to know this is pretty scary. It's something we should all be aware of, it's our history and shouldn't be undermined by sh*t like this. If they want to develop a conscience about the part they played then they should get out and do something that means something to the memory of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.******* joke.

rossthejambo

The absolute worst topic to be points scoring on. Pathetic.

A better idea would be to wipe the title for that year from the record books altogether.

Because if the Hearts guys hadn't enlisted the Government would have bowed to public pressure and there would have been no football anyway.

I have to say though some of the comments on here are hateful in the extreme. As it says in the article Celtic and other clubs lost players and fans as well .

It's a nice thought and I'd rather not be cynical about it. But I think it misses the point - that season's league title isn't really of much importance.

And let's try and maintain a bit of class and keep the point scoring away from this subject.

Say What Again

At the end of the day, Celtic finished the league with the most points and won the league.

It's their title as far as I'm concerned.

Good article form the Record (for a change), but not something I'd want to see happen for the reasons most posters have stated already.

Still, good to see another reminder in public of the sacrifice Hearts' players made in the Great War, though (the single most disgusting thread ever on hobos.net was the one a year or so ago which basically said Hearts' players did no more than anyone else in 1914-18, that Jambos use McCrae's for cheap points scoring, and that the Haymarket Clock was pinched by Hearts when it was intended to commemorate all of Edinburgh's war dead. Still gets me angry thinking about that shite).

Like the Records sentiments with this - but no thanks. Want nothing from Celtic or their terrorist loving fans.

Gary Ralston, what's his hidden agenda?

Francis Albert

The league should have converted to a wartime unofficial league but didn't and Celtic won it. The article is no doubt well intended but it misses the point. The players' loss was unimaginably greater than the loss of a league title, and

their, and by association the club's, gain in reputation and history far outweighs a league win. The story puts football in proper perspective, where it should in this context remain.

Archived