The Melville Pub

duckandcover

duckandcover

Just heard the Melville has shut down, gutted! Was in there the whole weekend of the final, anyone got any idea if it's going to re-open?

Just heard the Melville has shut down, gutted! Was in there the whole weekend of the final, anyone got any idea if it's going to re-open?

it is looking very unlikely for the forseeable future.

duckandcover

What a disappointment, we were planning on going before the game on Saturday :(

Notorious BIG

Whats the reason, Just not getting enough customers?

i thought it was getting new owners. potentially a crew from Glasgow.

Was always a good bounce after pumping hibs at easter road. Know a lot of boys that use it as their local so surprised its shut down

Was always a good bounce after pumping hibs at easter road. Know a lot of boys that use it as their local so surprised its shut down

Getting taken over and refurbished but lost license for 1 month. Will be open soon.

duckandcover

It turned into a massive dive over the last few years. Go to Berts instead.

Think it's extremely harsh calling it a massive dive.

Drylaw Hearts

Getting taken over and refurbished but lost license for 1 month. Will be open soon.

Don't think this is true.

Officially the worst bit of advice ever posted on JKB.

Does it make it official if you say it is official?

Or does it just mean you actually have a rubbish taste in pubs.

Drylaw Hearts

Does it make it official if you say it is official?

Or does it just mean you actually have a rubbish taste in pubs.

Berts is without doubt the dullest pub I've ever been in.

There is more atmosphere on the moon.

i thought it was getting new owners. potentially a crew from Glasgow.

Heard they are paying ?7k a week for the privilege. :whistling:

mulleted_jambo

Don't think this is true either.

Owner spent most of his time over in Oz and had leased it out to a young lassie. I was in quite often and she seemed to be doing an okay job as far as I could see. I always quite liked it it was like a local despite being in the centre of town and had reasonable prices. Hopefully it will re-open again at some point.

J.T.F.Robertson

Berts is without doubt the dullest pub I've ever been in.

There is more atmosphere on the moon.

Pie & beans were good! (if I have the right place)

Might have been pie & gravy. :ninja:

Where are Melvilles and Berts, always interested if it is a new name for some of the old pubs I knew.

Owner left someone in charge who was hopeless

Load of mince...

Young lass was doing a decent job turning into a jambo stronghold... Place was always a riot when Hearts had a big match!

duckandcover

Where are Melvilles and Berts, always interested if it is a new name for some of the old pubs I knew.

They are both in William Street mate.

Naecups1902

Load of mince...

Young lass was doing a decent job turning into a jambo stronghold... Place was always a riot when Hearts had a big match!

Yip, you know, whether it was bouncing was / is irrelevant

Yip, you know, whether it was bouncing was / is irrelevant

Not really, bouncing would mean that it was busy? If its busy then you would think it was doing relatively decent business?

It has been dead for years and the last year it was picking up in my eyes!

Did it shut down or was it shut down?

Owner in? maybe funding is an issue for someone.

Did it have hotpoint front loaders in it ?

The guy who had the lease was based in Oz, He had sub leased it (28 yo female) The pub was doing well and was busy. Unfortunately it was owned by a company and was part of a chain. The parent company went bust,liquidators (not duff & phelps) were overseeing/ running the company until a buyer could be found.G1 group from Glasgow had put in a bid for 4 pubs,including the Melville. The deal went pear shaped,The guy who had the lease (Oz) then withdrew the licence ,meaning the pub could not operate. Hence the closure. As there is not another licensing court until October it is unlikely to have either A) New Leasee or B)Licence until then.

The Female who was running the pub was doing well in my opinion, as mentioned a good jambo lass. No doubt she will bounce back soon.

The guy who had the lease was based in Oz, He had sub leased it (28 yo female) The pub was doing well and was busy. Unfortunately it was owned by a company and was part of a chain. The parent company went bust,liquidators (not duff & phelps) were overseeing/ running the company until a buyer could be found.G1 group from Glasgow had put in a bid for 4 pubs,including the Melville. The deal wen

t pear shaped,The guy who had the lease (Oz) then withdrew the licence ,meaning the pub could not operate. Hence the closure. As there is not another licensing court until October it is unlikely to have either A) New Leasee or B)Licence until then.

The Female who was running the pub was doing well in my opinion, as mentioned a good jambo lass. No doubt she will bounce back soon.

Dunno her C so not havin a pop, oz guy yes and his laddie.

Seems she was victim of a set of circumstances beyond her control. Good location though for the right sort of pub for that locale, get yersel in there :-) av got an auld half crown sitting in a TSB account doing nought if you need funding

Dunno her C so not havin a pop, oz guy yes and his laddie.

Seems she was victim of a set of circumstances beyond her control. Good location though for the right sort of pub for that locale, get yersel in there :-) av got an auld half crown sitting in a TSB account doing nought if you need funding

The funding is there...it's the desire thats overdrawn ...

The funding is there...it's the desire thats overdrawn ...

That'l be a quarter o a century or so in the boozer game for you then ? Me I would have the quietest pub wi the most

Barred punters in the country, russling yer pork scratching bag would get you barred, indeed ordering the fekers would.

Thats why am not in the pub game :-)

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Owner left someone in charge who was hopeless

Don't think this is true either.

I think it is true .

I work in there a few years ago....

the owner who took it over from betty..an older guy...he couldnt afford to pay the staff wages and was always taking funds out the till... When I heard that I stopped going

Not sure who has it now...but had good potential..great area and if they hafve a good manager and done a little bit work to it it cld be a success.

Adi Dassler

Had many good nights in the Melville over the years. For being in town it was a bit of a Hearts pub and you would always see faces from the match in there.

Pretty sure Betty twatted a mate of mine one night for giving out cheek.

the general

probably the best boozer in that are for jambos and decent music

Berts is crap with a new manager who thinks he is gods gift to pub trade .. Tuechters (sp)is ok for a quiet Sunday hangover cure :thumbsup:

I work in there a few years ago....

the owner who took it over from betty..an older guy...he couldnt afford to pay the staff wages and was always taking funds out the till... When I heard that I stopped going

Not sure who has it now...but had good potential..great area and if they hafve a good manager and done a little bit work to it it cld be a success.

was Betty a wee wifey with fair hair?

I used to go in there after work quite often in the 1990's

Berts Bar used to be the 'Auld Hoose' Bob.

It was my 'local' back in the 60's, frequented by the 'Rockers!'(No Mod would dare come into it!

It was my 'local' back in the 60's, frequented by the 'Rockers!'(No Mod would dare come into it!

If frequented by "rockers", I would imagne that the spit and the sawdust would have been enough to put any self respecting mod off in the first place, regardless of the clientelle! ;)

Naecups1902

Nail heid

Fact

I've always found it a decent boozer and it is definitely popular with Jambos. I'll always remember being in there on the night of the 2006 Scottish Cup final and the atmosphere was superb.

I've always liked the fact that its quite a straight-forward traditional style pub - which are becoming few and far between in the city centre. I just hope it doesn't reopen as some "trendy" wine bar.

duckandcover

People were on the tables on the Sunday after the final. Can truthfully say it was probably the best night i've ever had. Really hope it reopens.

J.T.F.Robertson

Oh Yeah! :verymad:

:teehee:

mods-vs-rockers.jpg

Placid Casual

Me and my mates are in that video. Will never forget those celebrations in the Melville ? happy days!!

the general

People were on the tables on the Sunday after the final. Can truthfully say it was probably the best night i've ever had. Really hope it reopens.

was thinking about you guys when I saw it was shut :down:

Archived