Calling New York based Jambos

Toggie88

As it transpires I've inadvertently booked a trip to New York over the weekend of the final, the bird is flying out from California to meet me and the topic of cancelling wasn't met with much glee on her end, so I'm looking to meet up with some Jambos in Manhattan for the game - kick off is 10am locally.

There's quite a few bars on the JKB BarAdvisor so will probably just pick one of them but would be much better if there was a few likeminded fellows.

Is there any New York based Jambos or folk like me who will happen to be there on this glorious day?

If we win I'll be doing the Beattie round Times Square.

yabadabadoo1874again

Doing a Beattie in NYC.... Lou Reed ... such a perfect day that would be....

Wilmslow Jambo

I'm in the same boat as you, wife and I in NY (Manhattan) on the day of the final. If you let me know where you will be, I'll be happy to join you there.

John

Excellent!

I'll wait and see if there's any Jambos based there who know where's best to go.

NewYorkJambo

Excellent!

I'll wait and see if there's any Jambos based there who know where's best to go.

Bars decide their schedules for games about a week in advance. But I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. I've been here four years and unless the game involves rangers or celtic it's usually not shown.

Fox soccer plus just got the rights to the SPL a few weeks ago but it doesn't cover cup games. Is the FA cup final the same weekend? If so nowhere will show Scottish cup

NewYorkJambo

Think the fa cup final is earlier in may

If english games are over for the season, the chances of the game being shown would jump substantially

I'm still toying with flying back for the game but, if I don't, I would watch it in a bar if its shown. Would need to have sounds etc. Hate it when they show scottish games on a wee tv with no sound

Basil Hayden

Probably not going to be able to make it back so definitely up for a New York session (thankfully my son is now old enough to bring along so he can drive me home!)

Watched the 4-0 semi there too and had a very fine time (though don't remember the bar)

NewYorkJambo

Probably not going to be able to make it back so definitely up for a New York session (thankfully my son is now old enough to bring along so he can drive me home!)

Watched the 4-0 semi there too and had a very fine time (though don't remember the bar)

Maybe nevada smiths? If so, they've relocated while a new premises is fitted out and they are showing less games than normal just now

I'm not trying to make it sound like it will be impossible to see the game but it will be tough

Excellent!

Don't take any chances...make sure you have SKY GO on your phone or iPad or whatever! Then

if you can't find a pub that is showing it, you can sit somewhere with wi-fi and enjoy!

Good Luck.

There's quite a few pubs on the JKB BarAdvisor and there is quite a few in New York. How many do we likely have for a meet up then?

1. Me + Girlfriend

2. Wilmslow + Wife

3. Marky 1874

4. R.A. Dickey + son

I daresay a few more may well discover this thread shortly. So I'll leave it a bit and then start calling round bars. The ESPN bar at Times Sq will probably show it on their giant TV wall (there's lots of TV, not just one large on) but I doubt it'll have sound.

Anyway, I'll find somewhere which will show it and if I can guarantee a dozen or so Jambos there for 10am then I'm sure they'll take the opportunity.

What's folks thoughts on putting a message on hibs.net? Inviting Hibees along to the same pub could prove banterful and entertaining. All friendly of course.

NewYorkJambo

There's quite a few pubs on the JKB BarAdvisor and there is quite a few in New York. How many do we likely have for a meet up then?

1. Me + Girlfriend

2. Wilmslow + Wife

3. Marky 1874

4. R.A. Dickey + son

I daresay a few more may well discover this thread shortly. So I'll leave it a bit and then start calling round bars. The ESPN bar at Times Sq will probably show it on their giant TV wall (there's lots of TV, not just one large on) but I doubt it'll have sound.

Anyway, I'll find somewhere which will show it and if I can guarantee a dozen or so Jambos there for 10am then I'm sure they'll take the opportunity.

What's folks thoughts on putting a message on hibs.net? Inviting Hibees along to the same pub could prove banterful and entertaining. All friendly of course.

I spoke to a company that show live uk games here and it will be on at Legends (near herald square)

Its where the nyc tartan army meet. They will have sound too

If I'm not back in edinburgh I'll be there with a few US/English mates

I spoke to a company that show live uk games here and it will be on at Legends (near herald square)

Excellent. Had a look online and I like the look of it. Do you know what time it'll open? I think I wanna be sinking the first pint at least 30 mins before kick off (0930).

Big_Hearts_Runner

I lived up in NY for a while before moving down here 3 years ago.

If I can't make it over & there's no other Jambos in DC meeting up I might hop on a bus to join you all.

If I can't be at Hampden next best thing would be watching with Jambos in a pub.

Gimme the address and I'll put it on BarAdvisor ...

Wilmslow Jambo

Thanks for this Marky. This is getting better and better.

I lived up in NY for a while before moving down here 3 years ago.

If I can't make it over & there's no other Jambos in DC meeting up I might hop on a bus to join you all.

If I can't be at Hampden next best thing would be watching with Jambos in a pub.

I did that trip on the megabus a few years ago. $26 return and the buses are not like the Megabuses in Scotland - Power Outlets, TVs' showing films, lots of leg room. Fantastic bargain considering Amtrak wanted about $150.

NewYorkJambo

Gimme the address and I'll put it on BarAdvisor ...

On a train just now with the slowest internet connection known to man. Took me ten minutes to load this page! Google 'Legends bar NYC' and it should come up. It's a one minute walk from Herald Square (which is where Macy's is)

Someone else asked what time it opens. I was there at 8am for Scotland v Brazil game. Don't expect a cracking atmosphere though. There were about 15 people watching that game! But at least its on somewhere. If anyone else wants more details then PM me. I have the email address for the boy running this

alwaysthereinspirit

Assuming this is a go and there's no place in Boston worth going to then I'm in with the wife and two teenagers.

My wife already said its a weekend stay over. Assuming there will be no issues with underage non drinkers.

Basil Hayden

Maybe nevada smiths? If so, they've relocated while a new premises is fitted out and they are showing less games than normal just now

I'm not trying to make it sound like it will be impossible to see the game but it will be tough

That was the one

alwaysthereinspirit

Lets make this happen. If I'm not getting home then sitting in a pub named Legends in New York City watching a new bunch of Heart of Midlothian legends lift the 2012 Scottish cup final is going to have to be my Hampden.

I'm most certainly in.

Which company is that?

Wilmslow Jambo

My hotel is on 6W 32nd st (Legends - 6W 33rd) so at least I won't have to stagger too far to get back to the hotel after the game. Unless, of course, we decide to do a Beattie round Times Square after we win the cup.

This is coming together well.

RE: The atmosphere - I think if there's a least a dozen of us there then we can create at least a half decent atmosphere. Tell them to make sure they have an adequate supply of champagne.

Wilmslow Jambo

I've set a flag, to show what can be done.

E.g. the bars with wee blue flags are "showing the Final" (illustrative purposes only, for now)

Is this a good idea ?

There are several threads running for Jambos to meet up all over the world so I agree it is a good idea. However, as far as this thread and New York is concerned, Legends appears to have been appointed the Scottish Cup Final H.Q. for Jambos.

There are several threads running for Jambos to meet up all over the world so I agree it is a good idea. However, as far as this thread and New York is concerned, Legends appears to have been appointed the Scottish Cup Final H.Q. for Jambos.

OK once it's confirmed it's on there, let me know and I'll update the map.

I've added Legends to the map in the meantime - with your name against it !

I'll definitely be watching the final there and it's been confirmed with the owner they are showing it, so go ahead and blue the little tag!

NewYorkJambo

Which company is that?

Robbie from Legends/Football Factory.

Someone else asked about non-drinking underagers. Yes, that will be fine. This place serves food and is in a tourist areas so will be no problem.

petrics cave

I am up in Boston. I will head down to NY to watch with some fellow Jambo's if I do not get a ticket (which is looking less and less likely).

I'll definitely be watching the final there and it's been confirmed with the owner they are showing it, so go ahead and blue the little tag!

Marked now as "confirmed" on BarAdvisor

NewYorkJambo

For anyone curious this is the website: http://www.footballfactoryny.com/

I've emailed the guy to ask if he will put on any kind of happy hour. They do for some games as obviously 10am on a Saturday isn't their peak time! But I'm not sure there will be enough of us.

I tried to register on Hibs.net to post this place as the more fans there are the better the atmosphere but they never verified my account so I can't post. But if anyone else wants to do it feel free.

Like I said, I may still head back if I can get a ticket but if I don't Legends is where I'll watch it

alwaysthereinspirit

I've emailed the guy to ask if he will put on any kind of happy hour. They do for some games as obviously 10am on a Saturday isn't their peak time! But I'm not sure there will be enough of us.

I tried to register on Hibs.net to post this place as the more fans there are the better the atmosphere but they never verified my account so I can't post. But if anyone else wants to do it feel free.

Like I said, I may still head back if I can get a ticket but if I don't Legends is where I'll watch it

I'm in with +3 possibly even +4. Obviously the more we confirm the better chance of them helping us out.

Lets paint that place maroon. I am so pumped for May 19th.

NewYorkJambo

I'm in with +3 possibly even +4. Obviously the more we confirm the better chance of them helping us out.

Lets paint that place maroon. I am so pumped for May 19th.

I spoke to the guy organizing it - Robbie - and he said he is going to contact Hearts and Hibs directly to see if they will publicize it in any way. He also said the Champions League final will be on straight after and he expects to be very busy for that but if we are there for a game before we'll have the best seats in the house.

The place is huge - two levels - and I expect they will only have Hearts on in one level. Probably downstairs

alwaysthereinspirit

I spoke to the guy organizing it - Robbie - and he said he is going to contact Hearts and Hibs directly to see if they will publicize it in any way. He also said the Champions League final will be on straight after and he expects to be very busy for that but if we are there for a game before we'll have the best seats in the house.

The place is huge - two levels - and I expect they will only have Hearts on in one level. Probably downstairs

Looks like they do a nice Irish style breakfast too so I will be there as soon as it opens.

Nice call on this by the way.:thumbsup:

I did likewise re: Hibs.net - sent an email to the admins to tell them and see if they would post it.

NewYorkJambo

I did likewise re: Hibs.net - sent an email to the admins to tell them and see if they would post it.

I watch games here in rangers and celtic bars all the time as its often the only way to see the games and the rivalry is always more friendly here given the distance and also the fact that folk realize we're lucky to be getting the games at all. So having a few hibbies there would be fine.

A mate of mine is a hibby in nyc but he's flying back

I watch games here in rangers and celtic bars all the time as its often the only way to see the games and the rivalry is always more friendly here given the distance and also the fact that folk realize we're lucky to be getting the games at all. So having a few hibbies there would be fine.

A mate of mine is a hibby in nyc but he's flying back

Just checke my email and my accounts been validated so posted on Hibs.net - one guy already interested.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?233828-New-York-based-Hibees

Hi all, Manhattan based jambo here :thumbsup:

I'm hoping but not confident of actually making it home for the final,got to keep trying.If not though, Legends is an excellent choice for a get together, been to the place a couple of times,friendly folks.

Should be a fun day :woot:

Hi all, Manhattan based jambo here :thumbsup:

I'm hoping but not confident of actually making it home for the final,got to keep trying.If not though, Legends is an excellent choice for a get together, been to the place a couple of times,friendly folks.

Should be a fun day :woot:

Good stuff! Do we know what time it opens yet?

Wilmslow Jambo

Good stuff! Do we know what time it opens yet?

Marky1874 said in an earlier post that he was there at 08.00 for the Scotland v Brazil game and they also appear to serve breakfast. Don't know the rules on alcohol sales in NYC though.

Count me in guys. I am over that way then and think I have decided against coming home early. I will have 2 or 3 locals with me, all with Hearts gear :thumbsup:

Might be well out of it by the time the Champions League Final goes on air.

Wilmslow Jambo

I know there were a couple of early responses on Hibs Net to our invitation to join us in NYC but has there been any more of them stating an interest?

Don't want to throw a spanner in the works but

I was over in NYC for the final in 2006. Went to Nevada Smiths to watch it, they had the FA Cup Final upstairs and the Scottish downstairs. As far as I remember I was drinking beer at 9AM. Might be worth giving them a shout too and seeing if they've had any other interest??

Everyone still good for this?

Not been much uptake from the Hobos, although given their fanbase it's a bit ambitous for us to assume they have any fans more than two miles from Leith.

Archived