In an alternate universe...

Martin_T

What would be the reaction be on JKB is this scenario had played out:

•  
  • Hearts knock back Rudi Skacel in favour of Tony Capaldi
  • Jim Jefferies confirms it was his decision
  • Rudi Skacel promptly signs on at Pittodrie alongside Hartley

All would have been sweetness and light on JKB would it? I back Jim Jefferies 100% as head coach of HMFC and I appreciate that he does not perceive the signing of Rudi Skacel as necessary given our squad coverage in that area (his opinion), however I feel his attitude to this signing is wrong and indeed out of tune with the views of the majority of the Hearts support.

A couple of other points, this nonsense that Rudi Skacel is not an effective left back. He's played at Champions League level for Panathanikos in that position, he replaced Gareth Bale for Southampton in that position and he's played in that position for a significant chunk of his career. Tony Capaldi, JJ's alternative option, has actually played a fair chunk of his career at left midfield for his various clubs.

Overall I feel JJ is wrong on this one, I just wish he'd embraced the signing and then the whole club could jump fully on board the happy train.

JJ isn't here to appease us and tell us what we want to hear; he's here to improve the squad and win football games. If he identifies a position in which he feels we need strengthening, but instead is handed an unnecessary, risky, Holywood signing at the expense of a real target, he's every right to be pissed off.

He's clearly fuming at this, and is struggling to mask that in his interviews, which is completely fair enough. He has the best interests of the club at heart. He feels this isn't in the best interests of the playing staff, so he's angry about it. I find it hard to criticise him for this.

To those who are going to jump down my throat at this: just forget for one second it's Rudi Skacel we're talking about here. Imagine it was a player who had done exactly the same as Rudi in his career, minus the season he had here.

Our sentiments are getting ahead of our senses with this one.

•  

All would have been sweetness and light on JKB would it? I back Jim Jefferies 100% as head coach of HMFC and I appreciate that he does not perceive the signing of Rudi Skacel as necessary given our squad coverage in that area (his opinion), however I feel his attitude to this signing is wrong and indeed out of tune with the views of the majority of the Hearts support.

A couple of other points, this nonsense that Rudi Skacel is not an effective left back. He's played at Champions League level for Panathanikos in that position, he replaced Gareth Bale for Southampton in that position and he's played in that position for a significant chunk of his career. Tony Capaldi, JJ's alternative option, has actually played a fair chunk of his career at left midfield for his various clubs.

Overall I feel JJ is wrong on this one, I just wish he'd embraced the signing and then the whole club could jump fully on board the happy train.

splendid post my friend. i bestow some 'rep' points upon you forthwith. :thumbsup:

•  

All would have been sweetness and light on JKB would it?

I wish he'd embraced the signing and then the whole club could jump fully on board the happy train.

Totally agree.

JJ isn't here to appease us and tell us what we want to hear true; he's here to improve the squad and win football games this may well be what happens. If he identifies a position in which he feels we need strengthening, but instead is handed an unnecessary, risky,(is it either? Surely Rudi could play AM, a position we need?) Holywood signing at the expense of a real target, he's every right to be pissed off.has anyone said he is not allowed to sign anyone else?

He's clearly fuming at thisAgain, do we know this for a fact? Would he be so angry if it had not been for the whole Celtic Park offside fiasco?, and is struggling to mask that in his interviews, which is completely fair enough. He has the best interests of the club at heart. He feels this isn't in the best interests of the playing staff, so he's angry about it. I find it hard to criticise him for this.

To those who are going to jump down my throat at this: just forget for one second it's Rudi Skacel we're talking about here. Imagine it was a player who had done exactly the same as Rudi in his career, minus the season he had here. But he did have that season.

Commander Harris

excellent OP but also a very good response from neave. ?This isn't a simple straightforward one and a good argument can be made on either side. ?I suppose we just have to wait and see how it all works out. ?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

splendid post my friend. i bestow some 'rep' points upon you forthwith. :thumbsup:

I applaud your choice of rep, I have since furnished you with some rep points as a form of appreciation.

I applaud your choice of rep, I have since furnished you with some rep points as a form of appreciation.

:thumbsup: speculate to accumulate i always say.

i also always stand my round... 'rep' point for the road on it's way. :thumbsup:

JJ isn't here to appease us and tell us what we want to hear; he's here to improve the squad and win football games. If he identifies a position in which he feels we need strengthening, but instead is handed an unnecessary, risky, Holywood signing at the expense of a real target, he's every right to be pissed off.

He's clearly fuming at this, and is struggling to mask that in his interviews, which is completely fair enough. He has the best interests of the club at heart. He feels this isn't in the best interests of the playing staff, so he's angry about it. I find it hard to criticise him for this.

I can also understand why he's annoyed - if he is as annoyed as he is being given credit for. No one can doubt he's trying to do his best for the club and the team, which is why we were so happy to get him in the first place.

My issue with him on this one is nothing to do with him being riled at not getting his target - it's to do with him backing the wrong horse and not seeing the bigger picture. Capaldi is pish, actual pish. I've seen him play. For the 3 months we'll be missing Wallace, I honestly don't see how using one of Jonsson, Palazuelos, Park, McGowan or Jason Thomson is going to make us significantly weaker than if we'd signed a guy that's just gone to Morecambe. The second strand: Rudi is a better left back, and has played left back at a much higher level, than Capaldi. Using him there for now is another option that sees this signing strengthen us somewhere we need strengthened.

Finally, JJ, if he is annoyed like folk are saying, is missing the bigger picture. I don't think you can underestimate the effect having the fans buzzing on a match day, and having the place packed out to see a club hero return, is going to have on the team's performance. A massive part of our success in 2005/6 was down to the fans turning Tynie into a fortress, and having players that we could really get behind. Bums on seats + fans excited + shirt sales + quality player in the team = good deal for this football club.

To those who are going to jump down my throat at this: just forget for one second it's Rudi Skacel we're talking about here. Imagine it was a player who had done exactly the same as Rudi in his career, minus the season he had here.

So we're to imagine it's just another Czech international who's played at the top level in Greece, the Czech Republic, France, Scotland and in the Championship, and made appearances in the Champions League at left back and on the left wing, then?

OK, fine by me. I'm still wanting him over the lower league journeyman, thanks.

I honestly think 3 things here:

1) JJ, if he's annoyed now, will be a lot less annoyed when he sees the ability Rudi has in training, and in particular the effect he has on the atmosphere at Tynie next weekend.

2) That JJ, god love the guy, has misjudged this one - if he really is riled about losing out on a pish left back and got a Champions League and international quality player that the fans love to death instead.

3) Once Lee Wallace is fit and Skacel is back to full sharpness, these arguments will disappear into the black hole they should.

excellent OP but also a very good response from neave. ?This isn't a simple straightforward one and a good argument can be made on either side. ?I suppose we just have to wait and see how it all works out. ?

Do we know that Jim Jeffery is not happy with Rudi being here (or the way that it came about)?. I personally am not a mind reader and I certainly would not attempt such a thing while he was surrounded by a bunch of hyenas.

Do we know that Jim Jeffery is not happy with Rudi being here (or the way that it came about)?. I personally am not a mind reader and I certainly would not attempt such a thing while he was surrounded by a bunch of hyenas.

:lol: WTF is going on in here?

JJ isn't here to appease us and tell us what we want to hear; he's here to improve the squad and win football games.

He's clearly fuming at this, and is struggling to mask that in his interviews, which is completely fair enough.

What I don't get about football managers (in the UK) is that there is a general acceptance that they can criticise their boss/company in front of their customers and expect to get away with it. I work in a customer facing role and I have a Chief Exec who sometimes inteferes in operational matters in a way that is not consistent with our policies (both of how involved he should be and the actual decisions he makes). I am then expected to do the best with what the situation I am left with, mop up after him as best I can, moan privately to colleagues if I feel annoyed, and present the impression to my customers that everything is sweetness and light, that we are a high quality company and that I am entirely in agreement with every 'corporate' decision made. If I fail to do so I would expect my boss to take action.

People in all other lines of work manage this. Football managers across the continent manage this. Why do UK managers find it so hard? And why do we find it so hard to accept that Chief Execs/ Chairman might want to hold managers to this standard? So no, I don't really find it fair enough, I expect him to appease us, tell us what we want to hear, and keep the turnstiles clicking.

My issue with him on this one is nothing to do with him being riled at not getting his target - it's to do with him backing the wrong horse and not seeing the bigger picture. Capaldi is pish, actual pish. I've seen him play. For the 3 months we'll be missing Wallace, I honestly don't see how using one of Jonsson, Palazuelos, Park, McGowan or Jason Thomson is going to make us significantly weaker than if we'd signed a guy that's just gone to Morecambe. The second strand: Rudi is a better left back, and has played left back at a much higher level, than Capaldi. Using him there for now is another option that sees this signing strengthen us somewhere we need strengthened.

If I'm not mistaken, Rudi's been a free agent for a few weeks now. I'd guess JJ has known this. If he really wanted Rudi, surely he would've gone for him on his own?

Finally, JJ, if he is annoyed like folk are saying, is missing the bigger picture. I don't think you can underestimate the effect having the fans buzzing on a match day, and having the place packed out to see a club hero return, is going to have on the team's performance. A massive part of our success in 2005/6 was down to the fans turning Tynie into a fortress, and having players that we could really get behind. Bums on seats + fans excited + shirt sales + quality player in the team = good deal for this football club.

You're completely right when you say we turned Tynecastle into a fortress because of our reaction to the squad we had in 05/06. What happens if Rudi becomes another Neil McCann resigning? Where will that leave the blind positivity that has generated? How will that benefit the team, the fans, the performances and JJ?

So we're to imagine it's just another Czech international who's played at the top level in Greece, the Czech Republic, France, Scotland and in the Championship, and made appearances in the Champions League at left back and on the left wing, then?

My problem with this bit is we all assume he's going to be class. The truth is, he didn't do well at Southampton, nor anywhere else he's been since us. We turned him into the Champions League/Czech NT quality player he became, but he's done nothing since then to suggest he's anywhere near this standard again. I'm pretty sure JJ knows this. I'm also pretty sure JJ knows the expectations that will now mount on him and Rudi himself, and is possibly getting a bit edgy at the fact he may (read: pretty much definitely) be a let down.

I honestly think 3 things here:

1) JJ, if he's annoyed now, will be a lot less annoyed when he sees the ability Rudi has in training, and in particular the effect he has on the atmosphere at Tynie next weekend.

3) Once Lee Wallace is fit and Skacel is back to full sharpness, these arguments will disappear into the black hole they should.

Everything above, and everything we're all discussing is purely conjecture at the moment. We know nothing for certain. It'll all become clear in due course; I'm just not getting my hopes up.

EDIT: We scream out for someone who knew Hearts inside out before JJ's appointment, and we got this pretty much epitomised. Yes, he has his flaws, but I would much rather have a happy Jim Jefferies at this club than an ex-hero brought back for nostalgia more than anything else.

THAT is a very, very interesting question!

There would have been a lot more negs, obviously.

Some would try to dismiss it as another "has been"!

Some, who have been negative about Rudi signing, would also be negative about his not signing!!!

Everything above, and everything we're all discussing is purely conjecture at the moment. We know nothing for certain. It'll all become clear in due course; I'm just not getting my hopes up.

EDIT: We scream out for someone who knew Hearts inside out before JJ's appointment, and we got this pretty much epitomised. Yes, he has his flaws, but I would much rather have a happy Jim Jefferies at this club than an ex-hero brought back for nostalgia more than anything else.

You could argue that this is why VR brought back Jim as well. :whistling:

You could argue that this is why VR brought back Jim as well. :whistling:

You could, but I think that would be quite wide of the mark. For the good of the club's and fan's wellbeing at that time, we needed JJ.

Nice, interesting post OP :)

I can see why Jim Jefferies, might be upset, if this is true, as it seems to be, but I don't feel he is right to be. Yes, he wanted Capaldi, but for certain reasons, he couldn't get him. Simple as that. If Mr. Romanov doesn't want him, thats it. Big Jim should move on and look at what he's got at his disposal, to which I think he has many players who can fill in for Wallace aptly until he comes back.. But, I feel his spirits should have been lifted, by being presented with Rudi Skacel. He is experienced, and has shown he can play in an attacking midfield role. A role that most of us (including JJ himself) can see, Hearts need, to function properly acting as a play-maker. I have heard the name Cameron crop up a lot recently, regarding us needing a player of his style. Jefferies has been handed someone who can fill this role now and must look forward.

Here's to the future JJ :thumbsup:

You could, but I think that would be quite wide of the mark. For the good of the club's and fan's wellbeing at that time, we needed JJ.

None of which should mask the disappointment I felt with JJ when he acted like a spoilt child in his dealings with the press -- instead of hiding it he made it clear to all his unhappiness -- this caused negative press for what should have been a good news story.

JJ needs to show more self control on the sidelines and in his off the pitch dealings with the press.

I am not sure if this is a good thing for the club just as when JJ signed but I am willing to see how it plays out just like my feelings with JJ -- still not convinced but he deserves this season to get things better on and off the park.

Absolutely bang on the money mate :thumb:

Superb post from the OP. Although, I must say, equally superb retort from Neave. Good foundations for a proper debate on JKB, which is something that never happens.

Most of what can be said on this matter has already been said here, but I'll just add my thoughts anyway:

JJ took the Hearts jobs knowing andeven admitting that this type of scenario could and probably would occur.

If he is hacked off, he has to decide whether it's a make or break situation for him to continue.

If he is so hacked off, then he'll either leave or be shipped out sooner or later.

If he does leave, his career is effectively over, imo.

I hope he can see beyond this, and see the bigger picture because I like JJ.

Rudi Skacel's left peg, even at 31, is better than anything else we have.

From our perspective I agree but I'm not sure ( as usual ) what Vlad's motivation was.

awadooningorgie2

I suspect that what is eating away at JJ is that the club has not been run properly under a strong manager for too long. That has been Hearts big problem and he has worked feverishly to reverse this and restore respect in himslef as manager and more importantly the club as sacrosanct.

This is at the heart of the matter.

He knows he has to have guys giving 100% or it to work in this league and anything else will fail.

Enter Rudi..........

I suspect that what is eating away at JJ is that the club has not been run properly under a strong manager for too long. That has been Hearts big problem and he has worked feverishly to reverse this and restore respect in himslef as manager and more importantly the club as sacrosanct.

This is at the heart of the matter.

He knows he has to have guys giving 100% or it to work in this league and anything else will fail.

Enter Rudi..........

But he knew when he re-joined us that he would be 'gifted' players to the squad, and said he was comfortable with this; regardless of the fact that the player in question is potentially a top quality one, who has a proven record at SPL level.

Surely that is the heart of the matter; the 'what is' reality, as opposed to 'what ought to be' theories?

...however I feel his attitude to this signing is wrong and indeed out of tune with the views of the majority of the Hearts support...

This is the only part of your post that I have any particular issue with: whether or not Jefferies is 'in tune with the majority of the Hearts support' is irrelevant. Obviously, as fans we'll all have our own opinions on who should and shouldn't be signed, but the manager's job is to sign the players who he thinks are capable of bringing success to the club, not necessarily the ones that will excite the support.

I do agree with much of your post (although I'm on the fence in terms of whether or not this will actually prove to be a good signing), but all that I think that you're really proving is that people on Kickback will always moan regardless of what's going on at Heart of Midlothian.

It is not as straightforward to second guess why Jefferies is hacked off as some seem to believe imo. Only he and those who are really close to the situation have knowledge of discussions , what was said, agreed or otherwise.He's not the first to feel this way about a vlad signing though. The point that he knew what he was getting into is a valid one but again we don't know what he was told , promised or otherwise when he took the job. However the number of people ready to have a pop at him because he doesn't see Rudi as the second coming astounds me. Rudi had a fantastic start to his hearts career and was rightly lauded at the time but let's not forget that most of the rest of his season with hearts was pretty forgettable ,save for the cup final. I hope his move back is a success but it 's not a given. Jefferies is not perfect by any stretch but people need to cast their minds back a little further than last week.

Cardiac Rucksack

I generally think you are a good poster, but jesus this Capaldi bloke has just signed for Morcambe!!! Please give me strength, A guy who is good enough for morcambe or Rudi?

I'm loving how people are justifying this by saying that Capaldi's signed for Morecambe and therefore must be terrible.

It doesn't work like that in real life, guys.

Cardiac Rucksack

I'm loving how people are justifying this by saying that Capaldi's signed for Morecambe and therefore must be terrible.

It doesn't work like that in real life, guys.

On this occasion it does, I would wager vast sums of money, without ever having seen Capaldi play, That Rudi is at least 20 times the player. I could see why JJ would be seething if he missed out on a decent quality left back but this guy was wanted by no teams higher than the quality of Morcambe, Rudi with one eye and a wooden right leg is better than that sort of level.

On this occasion it does, I would wager vast sums of money, without ever having seen Capaldi play, That Rudi is at least 20 times the player. I could see why JJ would be seething if he missed out on a decent quality left back but this guy was wanted by no teams higher than the quality of Morcambe, Rudi with one eye and a wooden right leg is better than that sort of level.

Other than us, who wanted Rudi?

Cardiac Rucksack

Other than us, who wanted Rudi?

He would have found a club of better quality than morecambe. I guarantee.

And Aberdeen if reports are correct.

He would have found a club of better quality than morecambe. I guarantee.

And Aberdeen if reports are correct.

Not buying this line of argument at all. The guy was out of contract and went to a small club, which would suggest that he probably isn't a superstar, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't have done well for us and also doesn't mean that he won't do well at Morecambe and end up moving up a level or two again.

If JJ had got his way and signed Capaldi, would he then be a better player because he'd signed for us and not Morecambe?

I think it's wrong to pigeon hole Skacel as a player who has only had half a season in his career. He moved from Slavia Prague to Marseille for ?2.5 million, played in the Champions League for Panathanikos, played in a very good Southampton side challenging for promotion to the Premiership, played in the Bundesliga for Hertha Berlin and latterly played for a decent Greek side in Larissa. All of those clubs named are arguably bigger than Hearts.

Whilst JJ is here to win games primarily, he is also in the entertainment business. Rudi Skacel is a box office signing for HMFC, who will if nothing else improve merchandising and ticket sales and who has the ability to significantly improve the team.

I would be chuffed that we signed a Czech international with champions league experience over a northern irish international with championship experience.

What I find amusing is the number of people who have previously slated Vlad for picking players have actually backed him this time or are at least less opposed to it.

This shows that when many of the usual suspects were shouting for Vlad to only sign who the manager wanted really meant that Vlad should only sign players that they wanted, which is what I have accused some of in the past.

None of which should mask the disappointment I felt with JJ when he acted like a spoilt child in his dealings with the press -- instead of hiding it he made it clear to all his unhappiness -- this caused negative press for what should have been a good news story.

JJ needs to show more self control on the sidelines and in his off the pitch dealings with the press.

I am not sure if this is a good thing for the club just as when JJ signed but I am willing to see how it plays out just like my feelings with JJ -- still not convinced but he deserves this season to get things better on and off the park.

I agree with this and to me its disappointing for JJ to allow himself to be manipulated like that. you could say the same about the offside claim at darkheid, he was right on two of the three decisions but all the press were interested in was the one he called wrong. As for gorhun sphyt to come out with the garbage in todays papers and that includes him backing leavin' on the bevvygate returnees. all clubs today operate the owner/manager system. They are all part of the TEAM with the aim of making it work for the best.

Hold yoour wheest would have been best for him, Rudi,Hearts and Mr Romanov

Also I hope he is reading KB and see what we think of him and how most of us feel how he's let us and the club down for some personal huff. as a few posters have pointed out their respect for him has dropped several rungs of the ladder. I do hope it wont be to long before he restores our respect in him, starting with a good win today.

And in this same universe..Celtic/Rangers tied for top..hearts need to beat aberdeen to go from 3rd to 1st and win the league.

SFA declare that a massive flu outbreak has sidelined their officials so they decide that

Andy Wa*ker will be the ref, Craig Burley and Scott booth the linesmen and 4th offical will be chick dung...

If they could get away with that they would :P

Archived