Best android apps

bn jambo

Ok, I've seen threads about iphone apps but what are the best android apps out there, Just got an HTC desire and looking for some good stuff to fill it up with thumbsup.gif

Got all the stuff a desire comes with, facebook, you tube, radio etcetcetc

just looking for good/funny/helpfull ones.

downloaded, soccer live scores, which is good for updates on live matches, scorers, bookings etc

any goood games about ???

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stoddyhmfc

Beebplayer is good mate live tv from the bbc on 3g and most of the Iplayer.

Games wise its all about what you like its not up to Iphone standards yet but getting there if your willing to pay ?3 for the app.

You get 24 hours to return the app if you don't like it and get a full refund so give some a try.

Fenerjambo

I tried the skysports from Tmobile for ?5 a month but the picture was garbage and you couldn't see the ball properly. Found lots of good androids on the market app though.

My Left Nut

There are a few that I have on my Desire,

Handcent for SMS really good app better than the stock messages!

AntiVirus, RAC Traffic, Movies - gives you times and stuff also locates your nearest cinema using the gps, youtube, beebplayer, trapster - has speed cameras etc, bbc news, sky news, juice defender - helps conserve battery power, Shazam, soccer live scores,

Still looking for more

Beefy

as said before "juice defender" and "apollo task killer" as well, are essential or you'll be traipsing hame every couple of hours to charge the phone

as said before "juice defender" and "apollo task killer" as well, are essential or you'll be traipsing hame every couple of hours to charge the phone

I can't seem to find the Juice Defender app? Is it under a different name?

My Left Nut

I just done a search for it and it comes up! Strange one, I got the barcode for it and when scanned it says the app is invalid! very strange.

I just done a search for it and it comes up! Strange one, I got the barcode for it and when scanned it says the app is invalid! very strange.

Just searched for it found it and installed it thumbsup.gif

Whats the score with apollo task killer? Does it just delete the apps or just stop them working in the background when your not using your phone?????

Whats the score with apollo task killer? Does it just delete the apps or just stop them working in the background when your not using your phone?????

it just turns them off when not in use or they just carry on using the battery

My Left Nut

I assume it is just like a task manager similar to that of a pc, you just kill what ever you dont use and when you wanna use it just start it again.

Go here its a really good site with loads of info on apps.

My Left Nut

Just thought I would mention Lookout. great app its a anti-virus, locates your phone if stolen or lost, can send a hight pitched scream to the phone, and backs up all your contacts etc Lookout

it just turns them off when not in use or they just carry on using the battery

the free apps you can re-install anytime, you dont have to have them installed all the time and it only takes seconds to download them.

google translate is a good app if your going abroad, speaks the transations as well as printing them

What I have on my HTC Legend:

UTILITIES

- Advanced Task Killer (a MUST for stopping all those apps in the background - keeps you phone running as fast as possible)

- ASTRO file browser (to get access to your phone memory and SD card folders)

- Dropbox (for syncing with and storing files online, in the "cloud")

- Tapatalk (for browsing forums like this one)

- ShopSavvy (scan a barcode with your phone's camera, and it will tell you the best price available for that item)

- Shazam (play a part of a song you don't know, and it will identify it for you)

- Google Goggles (think: a visual Google search)

- Google Bookmarks Importer (for syncing your google bookmarks between phone and PC)

- Google Sky Map (browse and identify the stars in the sky relative to your location)

- Listen (podcast aggregator)

- BeebPlayer (like BBC iPlayer)

- FotMob 4.6 (football stats - configurable)

- World Cup FotMob (like above, but for the World Cup)

- LED Scroller 3 (turn your phone into one of those LED signs. Text, colour etc configurable)

- Ringdroid (can chop up any mp3 file into a usable ringtone)

GAMES

- Abduction! (platform game to get a cow up into a spaceship!!)

- Flight Director (land planes and helicopters at the airport, but don't crash them into each other)

- Radiant Lite (like a colourful Space Invaders)

- Red Stone (get the blocks out of the area, by moving other blocks)

- Totemo Lite (remove links of items, but don't leave any behind)

- Toss It (throwing a scrunched up ball of paper into a bin, with varying cross-winds)

- Zombie, Run! (using Google Maps and you current and target locations, this will put "zombies" in your path, and you have to avoid them)

the barcode thing i do not have a clue about , with some apps there is some sort of square barcode whats that all about ?

Bry , with the shop savvy thing how do you scan barcodes ???

the barcode thing i do not have a clue about , with some apps there is some sort of square barcode whats that all about ?

Bry , with the shop savvy thing how do you scan barcodes ???

ShopSavvy : just run the app, and select to scan, and it just uses the phone camera. Hold it over a barcode, and it will beep when it has successfully scanned it.

EDIT: it shows a thin red line on the screen, you just hold that so the red line goes all the way through the barcode you are trying to scan)

Note, this works perfectly well with the QR codes (the square, intelligent bar codes you mentioned). QR codes are often used as links to web sites...

• 3 weeks later...
jambogaz1968

What I have on my HTC Legend:

UTILITIES

- Advanced Task Killer (a MUST for stopping all those apps in the background - keeps you phone running as fast as possible)

- ASTRO file browser (to get access to your phone memory and SD card folders)

- Dropbox (for syncing with and storing files online, in the "cloud")

- Tapatalk (for browsing forums like this one)

- ShopSavvy (scan a barcode with your phone's camera, and it will tell you the best price available for that item)

- Shazam (play a part of a song you don't know, and it will identify it for you)

- Google Goggles (think: a visual Google search)

- Google Bookmarks Importer (for syncing your google bookmarks between phone and PC)

- Google Sky Map (browse and identify the stars in the sky relative to your location)

- Listen (podcast aggregator)

- BeebPlayer (like BBC iPlayer)

- FotMob 4.6 (football stats - configurable)

- World Cup FotMob (like above, but for the World Cup)

- LED Scroller 3 (turn your phone into one of those LED signs. Text, colour etc configurable)

- Ringdroid (can chop up any mp3 file into a usable ringtone)

GAMES

- Abduction! (platform game to get a cow up into a spaceship!!)

- Flight Director (land planes and helicopters at the airport, but don't crash them into each other)

- Radiant Lite (like a colourful Space Invaders)

- Red Stone (get the blocks out of the area, by moving other blocks)

- Totemo Lite (remove links of items, but don't leave any behind)

- Toss It (throwing a scrunched up ball of paper into a bin, with varying cross-winds)

- Zombie, Run! (using Google Maps and you current and target locations, this will put "zombies" in your path, and you have to avoid them)

Where does one get these apps ect?

Where does one get these apps ect?

Just open the Market. You'll find it in your pre-installed apps launcher. :thumbsup:

cant find apps launcher :unsure:

Lol! What phone are you using? If its an HTC, then the bottom left button on your homescreen will bring up all your apps. You should have Market in there.

Basil Hayden

Where's my droid is the first app any Android owner should have. When you've lost your phone and the volume is turned down, you can text it and it will turn up the volume and play. If you left it away from home it will email you back GPS coordinates.

I travel a lot, so TripIt is probably what I use most.

I use Swype as a keyboard which I like and LauncherPro as much home screen (on Motorola Droid)

Advanced Task Killer is very handy (as is Astro file manager) and if you like Baseball you have to have MLB At Bat (in game video is very impressive)

I also use Google Voice as my voice mail (not sure if it works outside the US

Boaby Ewing

What do you use to convert videos to htc hero format?

"Discussing the tits on an ugly girl" thread IMO.

Chaka Demus & pliers

and if you like Baseball you have to have MLB At Bat (in game video is very impressive)

$15!!!!!!!!! :huh:

• 1 month later...
The Doctor

So I'm about to ditch my beloved Blackberry for an HTC Desire, I just can't get a decent deal anywhere to keep my Curve, O2 are offering me nowt and about to start charging an additional ?7.50 a month for Blackberry data. I can't find a sim only deal anywhere else.

I can get a Desire on Orange with everything I need for ?25 a month, which is okay.

So just how good is the Desire? You've had one for a wee while now, what's it like to live with? How's the email?

If you're into cycling or running google myTracks is great. It measures speed, distance etc as well as saving the route youve taken to google maps

games, Shoot U, Speedx 3d

So just how good is the Desire? You've had one for a wee while now, what's it like to live with? How's the email?

Brilliant.. I know of 3 people with them now and everyone loves it. Easy to type, and they have set up a googlemail account as its so easy to use.

The Doctor

Brilliant.. I know of 3 people with them now and everyone loves it. Easy to type, and they have set up a googlemail account as its so easy to use.

I have a googlemail account that I use for random stuff, my home account is blueyonder and I have no idea what my work account is, is it easy to set up multiple accounts?

So I'm about to ditch my beloved Blackberry for an HTC Desire, I just can't get a decent deal anywhere to keep my Curve, O2 are offering me nowt and about to start charging an additional ?7.50 a month for Blackberry data. I can't find a sim only deal anywhere else.

I can get a Desire on Orange with everything I need for ?25 a month, which is okay.

you won't regret it, the desires awesome. my other half uses an iphone and keeps trying to swap them

I have a googlemail account that I use for random stuff, my home account is blueyonder and I have no idea what my work account is, is it easy to set up multiple accounts?

I've had the HTC Desire for a while now, totally love it!! Have it set up for blueyonder email, google mail and hotmail - easy peasy to do, you can configure how often it checks for email automatically, and also check each time you open the mail.

Best phone i ever had by a long,long way!!

The Doctor

I've had the HTC Desire for a while now, totally love it!! Have it set up for blueyonder email, google mail and hotmail - easy peasy to do, you can configure how often it checks for email automatically, and also check each time you open the mail.

Best phone i ever had by a long,long way!!

Thanks, I'm quite excited now!

Fenerjambo

Got a G2 touch and downloaded quite a few android apps on it. Can't find beebplayer though?? Seems like a lot of these apps are American?!

Got a G2 touch and downloaded quite a few android apps on it. Can't find beebplayer though?? Seems like a lot of these apps are American?!

BeebPlayer is discontinued. The developer isn't giving anything away, but seems to be from pressure from the BBC.

Although you can't find it on the Market, it is still out there. Google 'BeebPlayer apk' and install it.

• 2 months later...

Cardio trainer. Great app for running, jogging and cycling. You get a free trial then $2.99 to buy, only thing i've paid money for so far.

• 3 months later...
Cyprus Jambo

Sorry to Hijack the thread (might start a new one), but does anyone have the HTC Mini? Thoughts, if you have.

Annoyingly addictive.

Just did level 70 on the basic map......

Haven't played any of the other maps at all.. But I have nice upgrades!

Everybody loves Baz

Sorry to Hijack the thread (might start a new one), but does anyone have the HTC Mini? Thoughts, if you have.

Yes, it's pish !

Should've got the HD like me & Rodge.

Hope this helps ? :thumbsup:

Jed The Jedi

Yes, it's pish !

and me!

Ermmmmm and me :thumbsup:

I've had a desire for a while and have read quite a lot about android on the web and various forums. I've had both juice defender and task killer but the latest version of android 'froyo' supposedly renders task killers redundant as froyo is clever enough to close apps you haven't used in a while ~(see link below). I removed juice defender and noticed no drop in my battery performance.

Why task killers are pointless

for golfers...

there are a myriad apps for golf course range finding. download the app, then search for the courses you want. some of the better ones have all manner of other features apart from simple range finding, like details of all the features and landmarks on the courses and stuff like scores analysis.

to think that dedicated GPS golf devices were developed and sold at hundreds of pounds and are now basically defunct after these apps became available for free.

What I have on my HTC Desire:

UTILITIES

- Google Goggles

- Google Sky Map

- the AA

- Cardio Trainer - free version, very useful for tracking my runs

- Adobe Photoshop Express - excellent free app for improving photos

- Netcounter - keeps track of my data usage

- Shazam

GAMES

- Abduction!

- Flight Director

- Hungry Shark

- Gem miner

- Angry Birds

- Connect 4

Cyprus Jambo

Yes, it's pish !

Thanks for that useful input - STALKER :)

Romanov Stole My Pension

For those that were looking for an alternative to beebplayer, I use myPlayer for watching/listening to iplayer and live tv/radio/

Bubble Blast 2 - Such an addictive game!

Sickipedia - An app for the joke site

Music Junk - COUGH*mp3 downloader*COUGH :whistling:

Sorry for the bump :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Want to get the Apps on the market that you have to pay for for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? :thumbsup:

Well ...

go to http://www.applanet.net/

Register for their forums, they will send you a link to your e-mail. Go and log in on your phone and download http://www.applanet.net/Forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=5 this to your mobile phone (My phone it worked first time, lass phone I think I had to get it from another site but all the information is in the comments below the download thingy - Also in settings make sure you can download and install things that don't come from the market) ... when it is installed you will have an app called Applanet. It looks and feels exactly like the market except when you see a paid app it has a line through the price like this ?9.99 and you can get it for free. Have got loads of things off it the last few days such as the paid for versions of all the light things I had. Great app. :woot:

When you sign into the Forums.. Would you put Bigsmak as your referrer please? :whistling:

let us know how you get on!

applanet-screenshot-0.png

Archived