Any memories of the August 1978 derby with lots of crowd trouble?

TC CURTIS

TC CURTIS

Has anybody got any memories of this game? It finished 1-1 with Donald Park for Hearts and a last minute goal from Ralph callaghan for Hibs. The game features briefly on the video Back From the Brink. Stands out for me as it was the last unsegregated derby and just before the perimeter fences went up at tyncastle. Funny seeing the fans all standing together, particularly when one team scores. There was lots of arrests and trouble at and after the game. The referee was even attacked on the pitch. Just wondering if anyone can remember this game.

Was in the shed that day and missed most of the game watching the fighting at school end . near edge of the shed, over 100 arrested and Gorgie Agro at its best .

linkin- hearts

Has anybody got any memories of this game? It finished 1-1 with Donald Park for Hearts and a last minute goal from Ralph callaghan for Hibs. The game features briefly on the video Back From the Brink. Stands out for me as it was the last unsegregated derby and just before the perimeter fences went up at tyncastle. Funny seeing the fans all standing together, particularly when one team scores. There was lots of arrests and trouble at and after the game. The referee was even attacked on the pitch. Just wondering if anyone can remember this game.

I thought you were right about it being Ralph who scored for them.We had already left when that happened but we knew someone had scored and I can remember thinking it had to be an ex hearts player who stopped us winning, the treacherous swine:yucky:

CROWD TROUBLE WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!1!

Does anyone else remember that time where big fat bald guys rolled on the ground with other big fat bald guys?

I think it was called "Queer as Folk".

I thought you were right about it being Ralph who scored for them.We had already left when that happened but we knew someone had scored and I can remember thinking it had to be an ex hearts player who stopped us winning, the treacherous swine:yucky:

As i recall Callachan scored for US! He hadn't gone to the dark side yet. Parkie got sent off along with Jeffries(?) we had 9 men for half the match, A Prentice"goal" disallowed and a penalty refused when Prentice was fouled in the box. Ref added on loads of time (they didnt announce how much in those days)You just knew he'd keep going till they scored. Finished rapid though when a guy ran on and thumped him. Great game in terms of excitement but i was raging at the end like every other Hearts fan.

flecktimus

As i recall Callachan scored for US! He hadn't gone to the dark side yet. Parkie got sent off along with Jeffries(?) we had 9 men for half the match, A Prentice"goal" disallowed and a penalty refused when Prentice was fouled in the box. Ref added on loads of time (they didnt announce how much in those days)You just knew he'd keep going till they scored. Finished rapid though when a guy ran on and thumped him. Great game in terms of excitement but i was raging at the end like every other Hearts fan.

Dont know why but i thought it was Pat Stanton who scored the equaliser

about five minutes into injury time :verymad:

Glamorgan Jambo

You're talking about another game a few years earlier in 75/76. It was my first derby and I was gutted at Pishy Pats extra day equaliser from a good 5 yards offside.

I also remember the 78 game but only watching it on Scotsport as I was stacking shelves in St Cuthberts on a Saturday by then.

heartofgold

I think you are correct. Played gowf with Ralph at a Hibs event(!) and when I asked him about his Derby record his reply was along the lines " only scored once for Hearts and Pat scored an equaliser at five past five for a draw"

I was at that game too. Mental vibe. I was- as usual before segregation - just below the latrine in the corner of the shed. I recall there was contact between fans throughout the game and the polis trying to stop the Hearts fans going out the school end as the game was winding down. I also recall Hearts fans trying to burn a Hibs scarf during the match to the cries of "Shite disnae burn!"

You're talking about another game a few years earlier in 75/76. It was my first derby and I was gutted at Pishy Pats extra day equaliser from a good 5 yards offside.

I also remember the 78 game but only watching it on Scotsport as I was stacking shelves in St Cuthberts on a Saturday by then.

Oops! Too much wine. You're right!

it was gorgie agros last stand that day, football violence was never really the same after that day, the segregation fences were put up after that match, i can remember golf balls bouncing back and forth over the two lines of polis that kept the fans apart running from the top of the shed to the bottom, the lines would occasionally be breached and both sets of fans would trade blows standing toe to toe, not the pavement dancing you see these days, As a 14 year old impressionable youth i was fascinated by all this, and me and my mates would probably get too close to it than we should have and looking back in a perverse way at 14 you think you are immortal, i can still clearly remember the Hearts fan coming on from the main stand enclosure to confront referee Iain Foote, after he had sent off both Jim Jefferies and Donald Park, and at least two pitch invasions by Hearts fans, the Hibs fans who were mostly in the McLeod Street end were forced further and further back towards the exits, and on the "Back from the Brink " video you can see the fighting taking behind the "school end " goal after Ally McLeods 99th minute equaliser.

Charlie-Brown

A crazy day - I was only young and we used to always go to the enclosure for the big games to avoid the trouble but due to the size of the crowd the enclosure was already full and we had to go into the terracing at the school end, I remember there was constant fighting and running battles on the terracing before, during and after the match, the Sunday papers reported a hundred arrested and more than a thousand people evicted from the terracing for fighting and swearing etc. A guy ran onto the pitch and punched the ref Ian Foote after arguing with him, the referee also got plenty verbals and another punch in McLeod street after the match after his horrendous performance. That day he made Dougie MacDonald look like a jambo! Hibs goal was given as 91 minutes but it was approx 7 or 8 minutes over as there was several stoppages for the trouble, was also a nasty atmosphere on the pitch as well.

TC CURTIS

it was gorgie agros last stand that day, football violence was never really the same after that day, the segregation fences were put up after that match, i can remember golf balls bouncing back and forth over the two lines of polis that kept the fans apart running from the top of the shed to the bottom, the lines would occasionally be breached and both sets of fans would trade blows standing toe to toe, not the pavement dancing you see these days, As a 14 year old impressionable youth i was fascinated by all this, and me and my mates would probably get too close to it than we should have and looking back in a perverse way at 14 you think you are immortal, i can still clearly remember the Hearts fan coming on from the main stand enclosure to confront referee Iain Foote, after he had sent off both Jim Jefferies and Donald Park, and at least two pitch invasions by Hearts fans, the Hibs fans who were mostly in the McLeod Street end were forced further and further back towards the exits, and on the "Back from the Brink " video you can see the fighting taking behind the "school end " goal after Ally McLeods 99th minute equaliser.

With a police line, does that mean the fans were kept apart that day? Or was it just at the shed end as if you see the goals there is jambo and hibs fans standinding next to each other at the gorgie end. When the tv courage shows the hibs fans at the school end cheering there is clearly Hearts fans peppered in that section too! Just unthinkable nowadays.

davieholt

With a police line, does that mean the fans were kept apart that day? Or was it just at the shed end as if you see the goals there is jambo and hibs fans standinding next to each other at the gorgie end. When the tv courage shows the hibs fans at the school end cheering there is clearly Hearts fans peppered in that section too! Just unthinkable nowadays.

There was no segregation then. In fact, believe it or not, many fans used to switch ends at half time so they could be standing at the end their team was attacking. The half time migration could be a harrowing 10 minutes!

Charlie-Brown

The fans were completely mixed in amongst each other that was why there was fights and arguments going on all over the place - a lot of the Hibs support did congregate behind the goals at the school end but it there was still plenty Hearts fans there as well, we had to move from behind the goals to down the wheatfield side as there had been constant fighting for about an hour before kick off and through the first half - eventually the police managed to separate the 2 major gangs of fans fighting with a thin blue line that ran roughly down the edge of the shed but there was charges back and forth. I don't think I've ever seen another game like that before or since.

19 of us went to the game that day and 17 of us got tossed oot wasn,t a problem you just walked round and payed to get back in again.Those were the days and it does seem very strange saying it now tha we used to toil to beat the hoobs.

curriehearts

The fans were completely mixed in amongst each other that was why there was fights and arguments going on all over the place - a lot of the Hibs support did congregate behind the goals at the school end but it there was still plenty Hearts fans there as well, we had to move from behind the goals to down the wheatfield side as there had been constant fighting for about an hour before kick off and through the first half - eventually the police managed to separate the 2 major gangs of fans fighting with a thin blue line that ran roughly down the edge of the shed but there was charges back and forth. I don't think I've ever seen another game like that before or since.

I was in the enclosure and remember that the 'original' semi-policed segragation line before the match started was about roughly where the old benches would have been under the shed. The Hibs nutters more under the corner of the shed and the Jambo nutters more under the refreshment area. Then before kick-off there was a mass surge of Jambos to push the Hibees further back into the Mcleod Street end.

Absolute mayhem that day.

I started attending regularly in 1976. There was segregation at most big games.

Easter Road October 1-1. Lines of police seperating the fans who charged at each other when the opposite team scored.

We played the Tims and the Huns at Tynecastle the following month.

We were shoved round to the School end as the weej filth took over the shed. They used to bring a massive support.

Both games we had rows of police segregating us. The Tim game was particularly vivid as Willie Gibson scored a hat trick during a 15 minute period of the first half. After each game hundreds of the vermin tried to break the police lines to get at us. We were heavily outnumbered but always stood our ground.

There was no segregation then. In fact, believe it or not, many fans used to switch ends at half time so they could be standing at the end their team was attacking. The half time migration could be a harrowing 10 minutes!

there were definetly two distinct lines of policemen (not stewards) keeping the two sets of fans apart,although im not denying there would not have been fans mixing all over the ground

I was in the enclosure and remember that the 'original' semi-policed segragation line before the match started was about roughly where the old benches would have been under the shed. The Hibs nutters more under the corner of the shed and the Jambo nutters more under the refreshment area. Then before kick-off there was a mass surge of Jambos to push the Hibees further back into the Mcleod Street end.

Absolute mayhem that day.

Correct Curriehearts- i remember the polis trying to keep us away from the corner of the shed with a thin blue line as someone said . Beore kickoff us Jambos charged through the line and took up our usual position, it was carnage.

Craig Herbertson

Think this was the same derby. It gets confusing for an old fellow.

Generally at the derby, the police stood in a line (four policemen) between the rival fans. About ten minutes before the end they all left. the official reasoning behind this was that they could then spot trouble from the side of the pitch. (The 'spotting trouble' involved pointing and gesticulating at the rival fans and then watching a bit more). The cynic says they just got out whenever it looked like trouble might occur - changing sides between halves and the end of the game.

At half time at this game the guy next to me was hit squarely on the head with a whisky bottle. He fell forward on his face, blood running down the terracing. As he was probably dying it took a little less time than normal for the police to arrive. In this case about fifteen minutes. A natural circle had been created round the body; one half Hibs fans the other outraged Hearts fans who had spent the intervening time making threats towards the Hibs fans. However, the Hibs fan who had hit the poor bloke was built like Goliath and as his backup had Neanderthal characteristics. There was a question mark over whether the guy lying on the ground would live and I think this was another factor that influenced the Hearts fans to hold back a little.

The police arrived. The Hibs fan was still holding the broken bottle in his hands and crowing over the fallen bloke. The policeman said 'What happened here?' (some things don't change much.)There were no arrests.

At the end of the game there was a large gap between the casual Hibs fans and Hearts at the School End. A huge charge sent them running off. I think that there was more than the usual rivalry because of a number of on the ball and off the ball stuff.

The fighting continued in the streets. There was an incident just before the West End at Coates Crescent, where three large Hibs fans were beating up a ten year old boy. To my shame I joined in the group that chased them off. In my defense I would only be about 17 and it was a horrible thing to see: Just a little kid being stomped on by three bears about 18 years old.. We chased them through the streets and an open fight broke out at the West End. One Hibs fan was caught here. He had stopped to split a can in half as a weapon. He was set upon and beaten up. The other two were caught in Rose Street and at that point I was coming to my senses. We were surrounded by ordinary folk who were all screaming 'hooligans' and to anyone who hadn't seen the earlier incident it must have looked pretty bad as two Hibs fans were being beaten up by about ten or so Hearts fans.

The Hearts fans were arrested in George street near the Bank pub (it was a bank then.

Hugh Watt

I was there, but in a drunken haze, can't remember much about it!

Found a few pics -

Heartsvhibs78jefferies.jpg

heartsvhibs78lifted.jpg

Heartsvhibs78ref.jpg

The last one, you can just see the remnants of the shed crowd in the dark.

durhamhearts

I am thinking the same but i made it 7 minutes into injury time when stanton equalised, I was ejected from the ground just after half time but got back in with around 20 minutes to go I,m sure it was Stanton who equalised tho

TC CURTIS

Found a few pics -

heartsvhibs78lifted.jpg

Heartsvhibs78ref.jpg

Really superb pics, thanks for those. I've emailed stv about the possibility of attaining tv footage of the game, would probably have to pay but would be worth it. Checked London Hearts and it was Ally McLeod who nabbed the equaliser late on.

I started attending regularly in 1976. There was segregation at most big games.

Easter Road October 1-1. Lines of police seperating the fans who charged at each other when the opposite team scored.

We played the Tims and the Huns at Tynecastle the following month.

We were shoved round to the School end as the weej filth took over the shed. They used to bring a massive support.

Both games we had rows of police segregating us. The Tim game was particularly vivid as Willie Gibson scored a hat trick during a 15 minute period of the first half. After each game hundreds of the vermin tried to break the police lines to get at us. We were heavily outnumbered but always stood our ground.

I`ve worked beside a few older Rangers fans from the West over the years and they all more or less said Tynie was a colourful trip back then.

Jam Tarts 1874

I remember having a good laugh when I recognised one of my hobo mates being one of the first onto the track to escape a kick-in.

Quite strange to think back to the days of a mixed crowd in the Gorgie Road end.

I was there as an eight year old, my first ever derby I think. I was in the Gorgie Road end so had a clear view of the Hobo's equaliser. I remember my Dad was going crazy about the amount of time added on. I can also remember him lifting me up to stand on the wall surrounding the pitch to get a better view of the boxing in the School End. What a role model, eh?!!!

Am I right that the SFA ordered us to erect the fencing as a direct consequence of this match?

robbo1874

my brother, now 47 was on the back of the daily record getting nicked on the pitch!im sure the headline was vermin or something. my old man turns to my brother at breakfast and said "is that f*****g you"? my big brother said no.i can always remember my old man saying it had better not be as he would"boot your f*****g a**e". old man goes out the room and i say to George is that you?.yes he answered but keep it shut or else.i will never forget that day.we watched the fighting as much as the football. can i get these papers online now.would love to see them again?

jambovambo

Found a few pics -

heartsvhibs78lifted.jpg

Heartsvhibs78ref.jpg

In the top one, it looks like JJ is going to banjo someone, if the ref got out of the way ... and wee Malky is up for a pagger too.

robbo1874

RLS 000-000-544-774-C

Hearts v Hibs 1978 crowd trouble

The Scotsman Publications Ltd

RLS 000-000-544-775-C

Hearts v Hibs 1978 crowd trouble

The Scotsman Publications Ltd

a few more snaps

Cappuccino Kid

Bonnyrigg Hibs bus was parked just down Robertson Ave from the Danderhall Hearts bus and after an altercation between members, Bonnyrigg Hibs had a cold drive back as there was no windscreen in the bus after a brick went through it.

TC CURTIS

The above never worked. Here is another link

http://www.rls.org.uk/database/results.php?offset=39469&no_results=12&scache=1yq7nhh7ge&searchdb=scran&sortby=&sortorder=ASC&field=where&searchterm=%2B%22Scotland%3F%22

Is there any way of blowing those 1978 derby pics up as they just become pixle-ated when you do?also from reading the accounts of the game look at how crammed the Hibs support looks at the school end towards the exit pushed there by jambos.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody any footage of this game either from 'Back from the Brink' or original footage?

Archived